Geocacher Family Tree?

I'm not sure how the tree would work, given the fact that a lot of people don't first hear about caching through other people.

I stumbled on the geocaching website when I was just checking out links from another website. It looked interesting, so we bought a GPSr and went caching. This was 6 years ago.

How would we fit into the tree?

Edited by GrnXnham

I ran into a geocacher family tree website and I can not find it now. You could list who got you into caching and maybe see how it went from Dave to you. I know that a large # of cachers would have to post there for it to work well but hey I did my part! Well any way I wanted to add a link on our website but I can not find it.

Big Daddy D was the first to explain "geocaching" to me. I've logged behind you on several of his caches. I don't know how close he gets to Dave, but he's been in the game for quite a while...

I was brought into geocaching a little over a year ago by a coworker I carpooled with, he caches under the name "soup". He doesn' have a ton of finds, but he's been around for quite a while, has an active cache placed 2/17/2001 (Quarry Glory, GC313), and has put on lots of events, including "Broken Arrow", which was talked about in the book "Complete Idiots Guide to Geocaching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...74-20192a78bb1d

By the way, Voss Piety, the guy on the right in the Broken Arrow logo is my friend Soup. He's almost kind of famous, sort of! Not sure how he got into caching, but he's been in it for quite a while. Notice the GC code of his old cache, GC313, that was back when they just numbered them in order they were submitted, so he's got one of the first few hundred caches ever published.

I'm not sure how the tree would work, given the fact that a lot of people don't first hear about caching through other people.

I stumbled on the geocaching website when I was just checking out links from another website. It looked interesting, so we bought a GPSr and went caching. This was 6 years ago.

How would we fit into the tree?

The roots of the tree allow for many ways of discovering the game, look at the chart... Cache, Internet, Google, Newspaper, Cacher, etc. are all listed as ways that you might have heard about the game.

I fall under Google as I bought a GPS to mark fishing holes then googled "GPS" to see what else it could be used for and discovered geocaching.com. Bought a PM the same day and the rest is history!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
The tree is kind of messed up as it is saying that Groundspeak got the idea directly from Dave Ulmer and the usenet group got it from Groundspeak. Not remotely accurate.
So send him a note and help him get it fixed, right? It's new, I am sure there will be issues to fix.

I'm not seeing a link for feedback. Also, I'd thought a few other folks would have seen that by now.

BTW, added mine. Doesn't look like anyone has come from letterboxing.

I'm not seeing a link for feedback. Also, I'd thought a few other folks would have seen that by now.

I wrote a brief article about the site for The Online Geocacher and had to use his "Advertise with us" link to email him. He does need a "Contact me" link. I will send CR his address via PM so he can help the man get it right... we can all use a bit of help from time to time!