What next?

Hi all!

I currently own a garmin eTrex.. http://i00.twenga.com/p/54/00/15400vb.png

It is pretty good but I would like something a little more.. Right now, I pretty much plug in the coordinates and it takes me pretty close but it ends up freaking out.. Telling me its 150ft north, then 25ft south...hmm I guess I would like to get something a little more exact and closer to the coordinates.. But I would not like to spend that much money.. I want something durable, rather cheap, and accurate...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

If you like the Garmin interface then the next logical step would be one of the H models. There are many flavors but the most basic is the eTrex H (yellow) and it will give you the same no frills features of the eTrex 1st Generation unit - but with the high sensitivity receiver - helping to give you better lock on satellites while in heavy tree cover.

If you can stomach used equipment then eBay or the Garage Sale forum might be able to help pair you up with a budget conscious high sensitivity unit.

what version of the system software is in your eTrex?

hmm...good question.... i just bought the gps, put in the coordinates, and find the cache..=)

The reason I ask is that there are two distinct hardware versions of that unit; the first generation eTrex (up to v2.14) and the second with WAAS (v3.00+). I've had both and the second one out preforms the first by quite a bit.

To check:

1. MENU
  2. SETUP
  3. SYSTEM
  4. Look for SOFTWARE VERSION

or

Also on the system page is MODE and that should be set to WAAS if you have SOFTWARE v3.00+