Energizer NiMh Battery Life?

I have an Oregon 200. I originally bought Energizer Litium Ion batteries. With the Lithium I was getting 15+hours of run time. I went out and bought an Energizer NiMh charger set that came with 2500mah batteries. I have used these batteries in the past in digital cameras and have had great success.

In the Oregon I got 2 hours on the first charge. I read somewhere that the batteries take a few charges to get up to full. Well I've gone through maybe 6 charges now and each time I get about 15 mins more run time. I'm up to about 4 hours now. This really sucks. I would expect maybe 10 hours run time initially and work up from there. Are these batteries (or the charger)defective?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Lezavw90

I use Rayovac hybrid rechargeables in my Oregon 200 and I typically get about 9 - 11 hours depending on backlight use.

no name alkalines I get over 10 hours on. I was hoping the energizer's would fall between the alkaline and Lithium. Technically they should. On my digital camera I used to get 3 times the time with the NiMH over Alkaline. So I was kinda hoping for the same.

9 hours would be acceptable to me. But as it sits it'll take me 30 more charges to reach that number, lol.

Edited by Lezavw90

Lez:

Make sure the charger is a smart charger that charges each battery individually, not in pairs. Best is a charger-analyzer that can condition the batteries and has several modes such as the "Break-in Mode" in my MH-C9000.

Yeah that makes sense, seems all the chargers Energizer sells charges in pairs. I may have to look into a different charger.

I have an Oregon 200. I originally bought Energizer Litium Ion batteries. With the Lithium I was getting 15+hours of run time. I went out and bought an Energizer NiMh charger set that came with 2500mah batteries. I have used these batteries in the past in digital cameras and have had great success.

In the Oregon I got 2 hours on the first charge. I read somewhere that the batteries take a few charges to get up to full. Well I've gone through maybe 6 charges now and each time I get about 15 mins more run time. I'm up to about 4 hours now. This really sucks. I would expect maybe 10 hours run time initially and work up from there. Are these batteries (or the charger)defective?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't know if there's anything to the story or not because I couldn't get an yes or no answer from Energizer, but myself and a friend each bought 8 of the Energizer 2500 mah batteries and had problems with them. Another friend in Yuma bought 8 of the same batteries and had no problems with them. I ran across a post in one of the internet forums that basically said to look at the batteries and if they had a green ring around the positive post you would have problems, if the ring was black you were alright. I called my friend in Yuma and his was black. The rings on mine and my other friends were green.

I called Energizer and questioned the rep about the green/black ring story and never did get a yes or no answer from her but she did send me coupons to replace the batteries and said they didn't want the old ones back.

The problem I was having wasn't quite the same as you are having. With the batteries I had it seemed like if I took them off the charger and used them the same day they were pretty decent, but if I took them off the charger and put them in something and let it lay for three or four days they would be stone dead.

Just to be sure.

Did you set the battery type on the Oregon to NiMh?

I definetly changed it.

Thanks for all the info so far.

My batteries do have a dual green ring aroud the top. I bought these batteries as I said before cause they worked fantastic in my digital camera. I think I'll keep charging them the way it's been going. I'm getting just over 4 hours now, so they are getting better. In the meantime I'm going to be looking for a new fancy charger. Anyone know where to get either the Powerex or La Crosse charger in Canada?

Energizer NiMH are just plain terrible - especially when charged using the Energizer chargers. I trashed most of my Energizers becuase they won't hold a charge. I had 16-20 of them at one point, now I have 4 and they only get used in the kid's toys that make noise.

I am having good luck with the Duracell and Kodak pre-charged batteries. I suspect they use the same technology as the Eneloops (ie stay charged for up to a year even if not used).

I bought this charger and it works like a champ for AA's. It has refresh cycle that will charge / discharge up to 20 times in a row to maximize the charge the batteries will take (remove the memory effect). Much better than any of the 'quick chargers' you get along with the batteries such as Duracell and Energizer make.

But yeah - Energizers pretty much suck when it comes to the rechargeables. Spend the few bucks more and get something else.

My dad got some of the Energizer 2500 mAh batteries (with the standard charger) and they were terrible. They wouldn't hold a charge and even if you used them within 48 hours of charging he would get very little life out of them in his digital camera.

I've been using a mix of Duracell 2350 and 2550 as well as Lenmar 2500 mAh batteries. They perform very well and I'm getting about 8 hours of run time and good shelf life from them all. My next battery purchase will include the new low discharge batteries with a smart charger to help condition when charging but for now I'm happy with my setup.