Who caches via Bicycle?

OK, we did our first "serious" bicycle caching run Sunday, and it was a HOOT. We ended up with 20 caches and got some good exercise.

I learned a couple of things too. First, I need saddlebags!

Second, I need to condense my stuff. Juggling the Etrex, Palm Pilot, Swag Bag, and Notebook on the bike was a little...frustrating.

Third, I need a larger, softer, gentler bicycle seat.

Who else caches via Bicycle?

Went out for a couple caches the other day. 13 miles later I made it home. I needed a pen, and I could have brought my fanny pack but didn't think I'd need it. New seats seem to be pretty good. A handlebar mount for the oregon should get here today. The orgeon solved the need for a separate PDA. Garmin has a few nits to fix to make it's paperless caching workable though.

I bike everywhere! I've got a Trek 4300 that i put almost 100 miles a week on. I just started caching regularly, (as you can see by my mere 28 finds) but, I've been riding considerably for almost 3 years. The exercise is great, and I see it as an all around better form of transportation. Way cheaper too! There's a hike and bike trailhead a half mile from my apartment. It's a 22 mile loop that spans 2 counties here in northeast Ohio. While I like urban assault just fine when i need to get somewhere, hitting the trail and forgetting about traffic is a great way to spend and afternoon. It's nice to be able to catch a rhythm and just cruise. :P

Now that i'm a premium member I've run a few pocket queries and found a few caches along the trail. There are a ton more within range so i plan on grabbing up as many as i can! Glad to see fellow two wheelers out there eating up miles. Stay safe, keep an eye out for idiots on cellphones barreling past you, and ride hard!

typically we do not mix cycling with caching, but sometimes we do.

if a cache is a significant distance up a trail on which bicycles are permitted, we will often take the trouble to unrack our bikes. i have a pair of shoes specifically for caching; the cleats are recessed, which enables me to walk and climb. i learned the hard way that one should not climb trees in high-performance italian bike shoes.

almost any small bag can be pressed into service to adequately hold your stuff, and although a bar mount is handy for your GPS, i typically will ride with my GPS in my left hand when the cache is close.

you do not need a bigger, cushier saddle. what you need is to spend more time on it. big squooshy saddles only give you more blisters at the end of the day, and saddle sores we know from.

Maybe *I* need a harder, firmer seat.

no, you need one that fits you well. it should rest easily just below your pelvic bones and not spread your cheeks. it also should not be narrow enough to get crammed up in there. if you have discomfort in your squishy bits, you might could consider a "relief saddle".

what most people do not know is that a properly shaped saddle, even a very hard one, will be the most comfortable.

i ride the same saddle on all my bikes, and they're comfortable even over eight hours' saddle time.

oh.

and good shorts will help.

a lot.

I've done quite a few caches on my bicycle, and I find a handlebar mount for the GPS and a backpack is all you really need. And once I get a mount for my PN-40, I'll have full paperless. Sometimes I even get by without the backpack and just use my fanny pack, it hold the swag and pens, and everything else I need is in the GPSr. So far, I've only really done bike caches around town or in parks, but I may head out of town at some point, too.

The advice on the saddle is spot on, bicycle shorts and a firm saddle is what you need. You also need saddle conditioning, which comes from riding regularly. Those plush saddled don't do it.

Now for bicycle caching:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=156879

We have done more bicycle caching this year than hiking caching. Last two Sundays were in Central Park, which is absolutely one of the best experiences you can have as a cacher. Humbles you, but the ride is great.

We have done PAULINSKILL RAIL TRAIL, Cape Cod Rail Trail-not a group, Orange Heritage Rail Trail, Minnewaska State Park (another great one) , Hudson Greenway (South End) Sussex Branch Rail Trail (North End) as group rides in the last year. We had a group ride the 5 Borough Bike Tour in NYC--3 years in a row now, we are planning to do the Hudson Greenway North End, and the North County Rail Trail and possibly the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail and the Lehigh River Gorge Rail Trail by the end of summer.

So we have an active core, we do not get as many people as we get on hikes, but we have a great time and we have been able to keep it going.

One of my favorite experiences was doing the famous 5 Star New York Cache, solo on bike.

The one time I tried to cache on my bike, I flipped over the handlebars. :P Here's how it (or I) went down.

My friend Danny and I were traveling at approx. 15 miles an hour down this narrow dirt path, Danny if front, I bringing up the rear. I (stupidly!) took one hand off the handlebars to power up my Garmin eTrex. Suddenly, I realize we're approaching some stone steps that head DOWN!!!! B) So, still holding onto my GPSr, I slam on one brake ~ the front one!! :D:P:) While I ended up in a pile, Danny slammed on his brakes and skidded about 10 feet before coming to a stop. Meanwhile, I'm on my back thinking "I hope I didn't break my GPSr!" Good news: I didn't land on a cactus(they were close to where I landed!), my GPSr wasn't broken, my bike was fine, and all I suffered was a was a small scratch(I still have the scar). Bad news: I DIDN'T FIND THE CACHE! And that was like my 5th try too. :D

Eventually, I'll probably do some more "bike caching." :o

The wife and I grabbed our latest find Sunday, 7/5/09, via bicycles. Durango, Colorado has a biking/walking trail all the way through town now, so we park at The Durango Mall at the south end of Durango and ride the trail clear up to North City Market. For any visitors to Durango, you can grab at least a dozen caches doing this trail, 4 are Multi's. Every cache on this trail I found via bicycle, but probably on about 6 different trips.

By the way, my backside is telling me that I rode a few miles on Sunday!

I started out riding my bike while grabbing caches. Thing is, biking became more of an event than caching was. I like both activities but I'm not a "two a day" cacher. I like to grab no less than 10 at a time or it's not worth it to me.

One thing I noticed also was the fact that I had to keep my bike unattended at times to cache in the woods. I didn't like that either. There were times when I thought "What have I done?" and had to run back to get my bike before it was stolen.

One thing I noticed also was the fact that I had to keep my bike unattended at times to cache in the woods. I didn't like that either. There were times when I thought "What have I done?" and had to run back to get my bike before it was stolen.

i carry mine in over my shoulder, CX style.

problem solved.

..and you get more exercise.

I not only use my bike whenever I can for local caches, I rent bikes when I'm at out of town conferences.

In Chicago last year I saw a lot of the city and learned a lot due to the fine historical caches people have placed, and also rode a few miles out of town to get some more secluded caches.

I have a bike mount for my ExPlorist 500. It was actually made for a Sportrak so I have to hold the gps on with rubber bands, but it works fine.

Teese, is that your GPS or are you happy to see me?

.. sorry, had to. (by the way, what brand is your 'bent? Looks familiar)

Anyways, I cache on the bike from time to time, as it's my only method of transportation (not counting bumming rides).

I have a handlebar mount for my Vista HCx, wear a camel back, and have a small chest on the rack on my bike for anything else I need. I do paperless with the DS when I'm flying solo, which the DS is nice because it's light, durable, and has a dadgum good battery life.

Don't do much trail-type caches on the bike though, due to lacking the transportation to get TO the trail, and not being in good enough shape to ride there, around the trail, and back.

I bike to a lot of caches ... feet first (on a recumbent)! Note the GPSr mounted between my, um, knees.

i SO want a 'bent. i also want a nice CX bike. you never can have too many bikes.

sooo... i show up at a well-known sporting goods store with a buncha my geocaching friends and we're looking at the new GPSrs and a salesman comes over and suggests we might want to come to the store the following saturday to learn how to geocache which only makes us snicker, because we're all, like, fully geared up having just come in from geocaching and we all have receivers clipped to our outer layer...

..but then this really sweet cx bike catches my eye and it is beautiful flat black, so black it hurts your eyes and i go over there and i ask the guy:"can you take down the rocky 'cross bike so i can get a feel of it?" and he takes it down and i grab it and shoulder it CX stlye and set it down and shoulder it a couple of times, and he asks:"what kind of bike are you looking for?" and i tell him "a 'cross bike". and he says "what kind of riding do you expect to do on it?"

and i'm all, like, "you don't really work in this department, do you? you're covering someone's lunch break, right?"

...he takes it down and i grab it and shoulder it CX stlye and set it down and shoulder it a couple of times, and he asks:"what kind of bike are you looking for?" and i tell him "a 'cross bike". and he says "what kind of riding do you expect to do on it?"

and i'm all, like, "you don't really work in this department, do you? you're covering someone's lunch break, right?"

:)

Teese, is that your GPS or are you happy to see me?

.. sorry, had to. (by the way, what brand is your 'bent? Looks familiar)

---------------------

... keeps the GPSr warm so the batteries last longer! :)

I ride a 1996 Vision R-40 -- as you can see, it's short wheelbase with underseat steering (and is so old it has the all-mesh seat). A bit heavy and now has quite-dated componentry, but it's reliable and perfect for my bad neck. Sure hated to see ATP fold up.

One thing I noticed also was the fact that I had to keep my bike unattended at times to cache in the woods.
I chain my bike to a tree for the peace of mind.

The great thing about bike caching in a city or suburb is that it makes even garbage micros fun. No parking worries, you just ride up to the guardrail or lamppost, sign the log, and move on. The days when I had the most finds were geo-biking days.

One thing I noticed also was the fact that I had to keep my bike unattended at times to cache in the woods.
I chain my bike to a tree for the peace of mind.

i STILL maintain that the most fun way to do it is to bushwhack through dense brush while carrying a bike.

something like this:rocky-etsx-30-08.jpg

Chicago is a great place to bike and cache. I got to ride the bike path along Lake Michigan last year and logged a number of caches while taking in the spectacular views.

Here at home in North Jersey, I've done quite a few caches by bike. My philosophy is if the cache doesn't provide for a good hike, maybe I can at least get in a good bike ride. Caching by bike also eliminates the hassle of where to park the car.

Rail trails offer another great biking/caching experience. I've been out on a number of Packanack-inspired rides where we've enjoyed great scenery, learned a bit about local history, and collected some smilies. Our recent rides though Central Park were quite memorable.

Biking and caching go together as perfectly as hiking and caching.

I love love love to ride! I have a Specialized road bike and try to get in about 100 miles each week. Sometimes I incorporate a geocache run, like I did yesterday. I only line up about 4 or 5 for the run, b/c the cycling is the focus for me. I have my Garmin Venture mounted on my bars, and rigged a mount for my iPhone as well. I carry a pen in my camelback zipper pouch, and very small swag or TBs if I have them. It's fun to accomplish two of my favorite things at once, and the caching time is usually a much needed break!

Yesterday I rode 42 miles, and did 3 caches. The last one was beside a cemetery that had huge trees. It was such a nice break and a great way to end up a good ride.

I agree with getting a bike that fits, and a saddle that fits! My road seat is a million times more comfortable than the one I used to have on my "comfort" bike!!

I recently purchased a bike as well, more for exercise than caching, but I've used it now on two caching trips, and must say, it's sooo much better than caching by car!! DavidMac and I took our bikes on our 4th of July weekend trip to Arkansas, and spent a few hours biking and caching around Lake Degray State Park. There were some pretty good hills in there that got our heart rates up pretty good too.

I had purchased a waist pack that holds 2 water bottles, and has a good amount of room to hold "stuff". It worked great. I just need to find a way to mount the GPS. Right now I just clip the Colorado's carabiner clip onto the gear/brake lines and let the unit lay on the handlebar...but need to get a mount.

I hope we'll get to cache via bike more often :blink:

Edited by butrflybec

We love to do caches on bike. Personally, I'm not going to walk a mile one direction to grab a traditional cache if its the only one around, but on a bike, it's a quick trip down the trail and back.

The key is to get a bike that fits you well and is made for the style of riding you plan to do. For those looking for comfort, a comfort bike can't be beat. They're kind of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. They're okay for light off roading or riding on pavement. Plus, they have shocks and a super comfy seat.

If you're going to do a lot of off roading, a good mtn bike is the way to go.

"comfort" bike:

They're kind of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike.

no, they're closer to a cross between a first-generation mountain bike and that huffy you rode as a kid.

a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike would be a cyclocross bike, which had the basic frame shape of a road bike and the beefier build of a cross-country mountain bike hardtail. you can't beat 'em for dirt roads. they ride rugged and are super-quick in handling.

i have never found "comfort" bikes to be anything less than slow torture on any ride lasting over twenty minutes. and those seats! goodness! you might as well buy stock in preparation-h!

if you're interested in a flat-foot bike with upright position, i suggest not a "comfort" bike, but something like a town or cruiser bike from a company like electra.

http://www.electrabike.com/home.php

I like to bike sometimes, but the problem is that the caches are all over the place..... and I also like to try to find caches when I happen to be in a certain part of town, for work purposes, or whatever, so I typically don't have my bike w/ me, but around town, w/in a few miles of my house, biking is a great way to get around. People don't look at you as oddly when you're on a bike in the woods, but when you whip in w/ your mini-van, 4 people jump out w/ GPS units, go into the woods for a few moments and then come out..... That's when people think you're crazy....... LOL

If you need to mount your etrex there are a couple of options.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sg?url=n...amp;x=0&y=0

If you're out of room on your handlebars try this nifty gadget...

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-TBX01-The-Bar...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I have resorted to clipping my etrex onto my camelbak due to the unit turning off on bumpy terrain when on my handlebars.

Good luck & have a blast!

~bri :anitongue:

I like to cycle and have done a few caches that way. I would like to do more.

Lately I have tried to plan running routes by caches, but I don't want to carry my regular GPS with me and haven't quite figured out how to enter coordinates into my Forerunner 405 and make them stay. The GPS always seems to delete them.

i have one of these, too:

2006_bianchi_eros_donna-400-400.jpg

i have learned the hard way that it is a poor choice for caching, largely because i ride it with look pedals and super-rigid sidi shoes.

sidi-genius-5-1-zoom.jpg

go ahead, laugh.

when i'm out on the road caching, i bring my old rocky hardtail. beautiful bike, that. lithe and graceful; precision carving. it was my race bike until middle age crept up on me and made racing a hardtail too painful. it's ten years old and still runs like a champ.

I do 80% or more of my cache hunting on my bicycle. To me, car caching is a drag and I've already cached out anything I could walk to around here.

I live smack dab in the middle of the Los Angeles Basin and I'm not a trail warrior, so I can't justify having a fully-sprung mountain bike. What I do have is a rigid "29er" hybrid which is almost all Deore XT with a few XTR components mixed in. That's my primary urban caching tool but I also have a beach cruiser with a NuVinci CVT (Continuously Variable Planetary) rear hub which is my errand bike and "cruise" caching tool. The beach cruiser has a big, wide, sprung "gel" saddle which is a pleasant break from the WTB Devo Carbon saddle on the hybrid, but my butt is years past the saddle sore stage.

'Course I also have rack packs and a good selection of lightweight TOTT which I specifically collected with cycle caching in mind, and my car has a Yakima rooftop rack with a pair of bicycle carriers mounted to it. For finding caches, I go paperless with an Oregon 400t with both TOPO and City Navigator maps and if push comes to shove, I can access the Internet with my HTC Touch Pro. I prefer to hang my Oregon from a neck strap because I've already shaken too many electronic component to death by mounting them to my handlebars and that's not a fate I want my GPSr to suffer.

I ride 15-30 miles every week day and as much as 100 or more on most weekends. A lot of it involves caching along the way, but I also just ride quite a bit too. I used to ride a LOT more (like coast-to-coast three times and from San Diego to Anchorage once, but I'm 59 years old now and my sense of adventure isn't what it used to be. That, and I lost any desire I ever had to live out of panniers again. :)

Pete

Okay, here are my babies. I've cached on all of them at one point or another.

DSC05969.jpg

DSC06105.jpg

monocog.jpg

For caching I like the last one best. The middle one pedals like poo, and the top one was too expensive for me to let it out of my sight while I search :blink:

I did release a bike themed TB , but a fair-weather cacher nabbed it :)

Edited by aniyn

We rode our bikes on a rails to trails that was probably 50 miles long (we only did 15 miles RT). It started off paved and turned into some pretty serious offroad stuff. It was tough though since there were wooded areas close and lot's of skeeters, PI and thorns. It was getting hot too! It was fun though and we'd definitely do it again but in the cooler weather.

For caching I like the last one best. The middle one pedals like poo, and the top one was too expensive for me to let it out of my sight while I search

relax. most people don't know enough about bikes to steal a santa cruz. to them it's just a no-name. they'll go for the cheap trek bottom-of-the-line any day.

edit to add: i'm sorry for turning your thread into bike porn.

Edited by flask

I wish I could bicycle, but I have an injury that prevents me from doing so. (Ouch!) I did try, but it was so painful I had to stop. We even tried recumbent bikes... nope. We do like to park in one spot and do a three or so mile walkabout to get them though, and we'd like to cache on our motorcycles! We just have to get a mount for the GPS.

-Roz

When I lived in San Diego, some 25 years ago, I did a lot of riding on a road bike. Since moving to LA, have not really biked much. However, I just got a somewhat decrepit mountain bike that I want to use for caching in some of our nearby hills. I'll have to figure out how to mount my Garmin Map76 and to carry some caching gear, but that should not be too tough. Now, I need to figure out some routes where I can ride and cache.

The last two springs, I've been on a bicycle tour in upper Florida. Cached both years via bike and found it great fun. I have handlebar mount for the eTrex and a fanny pack for the rest of the gear. I actually like it better than car, but you need the proper environment...lots of caches close together

:o

Bought a Mountian Bike just for Cachin.

so far 3/4 or better have been with the bike.

However I am finding it more difficult to put the two together as I am running out of caches

in my area close to bikeable trails.

I could do the urban sceen on bike I guess but its just not the same.

Jeremy Irish is interviewed in the Fall 09 Rails to Trails Magazine Article is entitled Jeremy Irish: Playing Outside and mentions the presence of caches on rail trails and the partnership dealing with gps mapping, not at all a bad article, and one likely to reach bicyclist who use rail trails.

Who else caches via Bicycle?

We do all the time. Got a great bar mount for the GPSr on both my vintage Cannondale Super V-2000 and also my Cannondale road bike. But our area is notorious for industrial strength sand spurs so before we discovered armor tire liners and green slime this was a normal biking scene :

GilleyBike.jpg

And I don't even care to get into the discussion on how I was so cooked from the summer heat I sat in my Jeep AC to cool off, decided to head out and forgot I hadn't put my Super V on the rack and proceeded to run over it. :( Poor thing... but a tough old bike, only broke the derailleur mount and bent the rear wheel rim... whew! Good old dog....

GilleyV.jpg