Canada Challenge?

Lusciousleeta

I was hoping there would be something already, but if not, then I wouldn't mind setting one up based on the Backroad Mapbook series. I've had a look at the book for Vancouver, Coast & Mountains and I think there is at least one cache on 40 of the 49 pages. It would be a pretty massive challenge. Do you think cachers would be interested in this?

I was hoping there would be something already, but if not, then I wouldn't mind setting one up based on the Backroad Mapbook series. I've had a look at the book for Vancouver, Coast & Mountains and I think there is at least one cache on 40 of the 49 pages. It would be a pretty massive challenge. Do you think cachers would be interested in this?

I would suggest that you might want to contact your reviewer MTN-MAN for guidance. Only DeLorme and County Challenges allow emailing of coordinates or variations on that theme. We've had a lot of talk about Challenge Caches since the death of ALRs and he would be well equipped to assist you.

:) CD

So, the guidelines re setting challenge caches are - "Challenge caches incorporate special logging requirements and are listed as Mystery/Puzzle caches. Typically they require the seeker to have previously met a reasonable geocaching-related qualification (Waymarking and Wherigo qualify too, of course) such as first finding a cache in every county in your state. If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so."

On this basis, I think I should abandon the plan for the Vancouver Backroad map, or else make it something like 'log a cache from 30 out of the 49 pages" or it would be too hard. It would be cool if someone with greater geek skills than me could create a GSAK macro to produce a map, like the DeLorme Challenge maps.

I shall contact mtn-man and see what he thinks. Binrat - would you do one for Eastern Ontario if this works out?

If you create it, I know myself and many others would like to attempt it.

So, the guidelines re setting challenge caches are - "Challenge caches incorporate special logging requirements and are listed as Mystery/Puzzle caches. Typically they require the seeker to have previously met a reasonable geocaching-related qualification (Waymarking and Wherigo qualify too, of course) such as first finding a cache in every county in your state. If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so."

On this basis, I think I should abandon the plan for the Vancouver Backroad map, or else make it something like 'log a cache from 30 out of the 49 pages" or it would be too hard. It would be cool if someone with greater geek skills than me could create a GSAK macro to produce a map, like the DeLorme Challenge maps.

I shall contact mtn-man and see what he thinks. Binrat - would you do one for Eastern Ontario if this works out?

I would love to but I am hopeless with GSAK. I took me a week to get the Ontario Counties map to work.

I am sure once the project starts to roll an Ontario based GSAK guru will jump in and create the map.

Binrat

Actually, the new Cottage Country Backroads Mapbook has over 60 pages. It covers some of Eastern Ontario, the original cottage area, the near north and Algonquin regions. It covers more area and at a higher scale than the old one but is much more detailed.

I would be into trying something like finding 1 or 2 caches from every page. Using the Backroads series sounds like a good idea but limits cachers to either Ontario or BC. :laughing:

That said, there doesn't seem to be many other options though... :huh:

On the other side of the coin, if you build a challenge, I'm sure people will try.

Ok, so I contacted mtn-man and will hopefully get a response some time soon. I also contacted one of the guys who has created maps/macros for the DeLorme Challenges and have heard nothing.

Does anyone know someone who could write a macro for checking progress and completion of a challenge cache?

The best news is - I contacted Backroad Mapbooks and they are very interested in supporting the project! For a start, they can give me the coords for all the mapbook pages.

So, I need some techie support here please!

I am sure one of the already existing maros could be adapted...

Ok, so I contacted mtn-man and will hopefully get a response some time soon. I also contacted one of the guys who has created maps/macros for the DeLorme Challenges and have heard nothing.

Does anyone know someone who could write a macro for checking progress and completion of a challenge cache?

The best news is - I contacted Backroad Mapbooks and they are very interested in supporting the project! For a start, they can give me the coords for all the mapbook pages.

The maps are available in CD format for use on the computer.

I've sent an email to the chap who produces the GSAK macro for the DeLorme challenge caches - hopefully he will be able to help.

I've looked again at Backroad Mapbooks - there are 22 currently in print, covering the following areas of Canada:

1. Vancouver, Coast and Mountains

2. Cariboo Chilcotin Coast BC

3. Northern BC

4. The Kootenay Rockies BC

5. Thompson Okanagan BC

6. Vancouver Island, Victoria & Gulf Islands

7. Canadian Rockies

8. Central Alberta

9. Northern Alberta

10. Southern Alberta

11. Southern Saskatchewan

12. Algonquin Region Ontario

13. Cottage Country Ontario

14. Eastern Ontario

15. Northeastern Ontario

16. Northwestern Ontario

17. Southwestern Ontario

18. Montreal/Laurentians

19. Southwestern Quebec

20. New Brunswick

21. Nova Scotia

22. Prince Edward Island

I'm thinking about 23 challenge caches - one for each mapbook plus a 'mega challenge' covering them all. There could be a website for the series where cachers could upload their finds to check progress. My enthusiasm is boundless at the moment. :-)

Awesome! Great job dragonflys! I've arranged to meet Russell Mussio of Backroad Mapbooks next time he is in Vancouver and Brian Yonke who created the macro for the DeLorme Challenges has got back to me about how we might be able to do some maps for Backroad Mapbook challenges. I've drafted a cache page for the Vancouver, Coast and Mountains cache, but am still pondering on some of the details.

We'd need to have a geocacher in each Backroad Mapbook area willing to maintain the cache, but if we can work out a simple way for checking the logging requirements, then any geocacher would be able to do this.

Volunteers across Canada please!

I've sent an email to the chap who produces the GSAK macro for the DeLorme challenge caches - hopefully he will be able to help.

I've looked again at Backroad Mapbooks - there are 22 currently in print, covering the following areas of Canada: <snip>

I'm thinking about 23 challenge caches - one for each mapbook plus a 'mega challenge' covering them all. There could be a website for the series where cachers could upload their finds to check progress. My enthusiasm is boundless at the moment. :-)

I love the idea of doing a backroad mapbook challenge! I own the southern Sask. and the Rockies books. but are you serious about a mega challenge? I can't see that ever being completed!

I could do the south Sask challenge if there was a way to get it figured out...

I had a very succesful meeting with Russell from Backroad Mapbooks. He is very interested in geocaching and seeing what geocachers and Backroad Mapbooks can do for each other. We talked about a Backroad Mapbook series and what it might look like. We agreed to start with one for the Vancouver, Coast & Mountains area as a test case and see how it goes. He offered to provide copies of the Mapbooks as prizes for geocachers completing the challenges.

We also talked about topo mapping for geocachers. I told him his downloadable maps were too expensive and he was hopeful that there would be a more affordable alternative soon. Obviously he couldn't give me all his company secrets.

Russell was very aware that there was no need for him to be involved - that geocahers could set up Backroad Mapbook caches without his company's involvement - but he was very pleased to be involved.

This is all very cool. Once I've got the Vancouver one up and running, I shall be actively looking for more volunteers to maintain caches in other mapbook areas.

Comments always welcome and I shall keep updating on progress here on the forum.

Update:

Backroad Mapbook Challenge - Vancouver, Coast & Mountains. The cache page is drafted but not yet submitted. The chaps at BM are sending me some mapbooks to put in the final cache, so I'll submit as soon as I receive and place the cache. In the meantime, I'm getting the rest of the cache container put together.

Watch this space for further updates.

:lol:

None for Newfoundland and Labrador?

I've looked again at Backroad Mapbooks -

there are 22 currently in print, covering the following areas of Canada:

3. Northern BC

5. Thompson Okanagan BC

7. Canadian Rockies

8. Central Alberta

9. Northern Alberta

10. Southern Alberta

14. Eastern Ontario

15. Northeastern Ontario

16. Northwestern Ontario

17. Southwestern Ontario

18. Montreal/Laurentians

19. Southwestern Quebec

20. New Brunswick

21. Nova Scotia

22. Prince Edward Island

:)

3. Northern BC

5. Thompson Okanagan BC

7. Canadian Rockies

8. Central Alberta

9. Northern Alberta

10. Southern Alberta

14. Eastern Ontario

15. Northeastern Ontario

16. Northwestern Ontario

17. Southwestern Ontario

18. Montreal/Laurentians

19. Southwestern Quebec

20. New Brunswick

21. Nova Scotia

22. Prince Edward Island

I would love to do southern alberta cache

3. Northern BC

5. Thompson Okanagan BC

7. Canadian Rockies

8. Central Alberta

9. Northern Alberta

10. Southern Alberta

14. Eastern Ontario

15. Northeastern Ontario

16. Northwestern Ontario

17. Southwestern Ontario

18. Montreal/Laurentians

19. Southwestern Quebec

20. New Brunswick

21. Nova Scotia

22. Prince Edward Island

I would love to do southern alberta cache

"If You Build it They Will Come"

Awesome! Great job dragonflys! I've arranged to meet Russell Mussio of Backroad Mapbooks next time he is in Vancouver and Brian Yonke who created the macro for the DeLorme Challenges has got back to me about how we might be able to do some maps for Backroad Mapbook challenges. I've drafted a cache page for the Vancouver, Coast and Mountains cache, but am still pondering on some of the details.

We'd need to have a geocacher in each Backroad Mapbook area willing to maintain the cache, but if we can work out a simple way for checking the logging requirements, then any geocacher would be able to do this.

Volunteers across Canada please!

i will do southern alberta #8 on the western canada backroad mapbook.

As Blackfox07 pointed out...

We've had something similar on Vancouver Island for 4 years now, but not many are able to achieve it. We're not even going to look at missing squares until we've spent some time on the north of the island. The problem is that we have some mighty rugged coastline (hence the historical rescue trails for shipwrecked sailors) and a few squares on the west coast are only accessible by a blue water boat (as opposed to a coastal cruiser).

Vancouver Island Topo Challenge

Edited by Landsharkz

Latest Update:

Vancouver Backroad Mapbook Challenge cache up and running. FTF got a new edition of one of the Backroad Mapbooks for another area of BC, thanks to the swag from Russell Mussio. With the file from him, it was easy for me to check that the cacher had met the challenge, but I'd still love someone to do the SQL to produce a little html map for people's profiles.

See cache at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...db-4eed3f983584

I've started working on the next one - for Vancouver Island. I'll try to make it a bit more manageable than the Vancouver Island Topo Challenge, which has only had three finds since it was published in 2006.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions - keep em coming. Feedback on my cache page would be particularly welcome.

Happy caching,

Fiona