TB / Geo Coin Questions

Lutz Family

Hello everyone.

Quick thanks to everyone on the site for all of your previous help.

I was thinking of making my own Cache and putting in it my first TravelBug or GeoCoin. After reading a bit it looks like TB's are put in to have a goal ( or destintion )

It also looks like coins can have goals but can also be picked up and collected, traded or sold ?

Is there a generall rule of thumb when people take a coin for collection, trade or sell ?

I am also aware that even if I did place a TB or Coin that it may never make it much past a few cachers, but I will take that chance if i have an idea that it could possibly work.

I have seen a lot of different coins and I was thinking of personalizing my first ones. Would personalized ones be less of a target for collection, trading and selling ( for the first few I would like to set goals and destinations )

I am also interested in collecting geocoins after I get the first few out with destinations but I dont want to do it in the wrong way.

Lutz Family

Hello everyone.

Quick thanks to everyone on the site for all of your previous help.

I was thinking of making my own Cache and putting in it my first TravelBug or GeoCoin. After reading a bit it looks like TB's are put in to have a goal ( or destintion )

It also looks like coins can have goals but can also be picked up and collected, traded or sold ?

Is there a generall rule of thumb when people take a coin for collection, trade or sell ?

I am also aware that even if I did place a TB or Coin that it may never make it much past a few cachers, but I will take that chance if i have an idea that it could possibly work.

I have seen a lot of different coins and I was thinking of personalizing my first ones. Would personalized ones be less of a target for collection, trading and selling ( for the first few I would like to set goals and destinations )

I am also interested in collecting geocoins after I get the first few out with destinations but I dont want to do it in the wrong way.

Lutz Family

Coins that are trackable and traveling are basically the same as TBs. In truthful terms, they are travel bugs, just a special kind. They have a goal and if activated, they are not meant to be kept. They are not yours to trade or keep. At times peope will place unactivated ones as FTFs or just a nice piece of swag and then you are free to do what you like.

When it comes to coins, it doesn't matter if it is personalized or not, many collectors just have to have them all. I don't personally know what goes on through a geocoin thief's mind, but I would suspect that they take whatever they come across. Certainly a more desireable coin would disappear faster, but really, other than keeping those coins, there is nothing they can do with them. Once a coin is activated, it is registered as the owners and if I would steal a coin, I couldn't log it as mine. All I could do with it would be to look at it; even to show it off to others who might see the tracking number and research it would be out of the question. Personally, I like to activate my coins and keep them in my posession, which is why I seem to have a large number of trackables. That way I get the icon on the site; I would like to send some of them out, but at this point there isn't many that I want to take the chance of parting with.

People have done things to the coins which may seem to help as far as keeping them from being stolen. I would suggest spending some time at the Geocoin threads in the Trackable forums and learning some ideas there.

Good luck and happy caching!!!

Activated, trackable coins should never be collected. They are meant to move from cache to cache unless the owner states otherwise. There are people who do collect activated trackable coins. The common word for them is thief.

Activated, trackable coins should never be collected. They are meant to move from cache to cache unless the owner states otherwise. There are people who do collect activated trackable coins. The common word for them is thief.

Amen! I don't think I'll ever buy another geocoin unless I keep it and dip it in caches for the miles and the memories. There are too many thieves out there who collect them. Stick with tb's...you'll stand a better chance of their actually "traveling".

Personally, I like to activate my coins and keep them in my posession, which is why I seem to have a large number of trackables. That way I get the icon on the site

This is a quote from team hartsock. What would be the benefit of doing this?

BTW thanks for the replies it looks like I will be doing TB's for the ones I want to send out with goals.

Also I would like to collect some ( I have seen some nice collecting books ) But I dont want to do anything unethical and I also dont want to just buy geocoins to put into a collection book.

If there are unactivated coins do people expect them to be picked up by others ?

Amen! I don't think I'll ever buy another geocoin unless I keep it and dip it in caches for the miles and the memories. There are too many thieves out there who collect them. Stick with tb's...you'll stand a better chance of their actually "traveling".

Newb question: What do you mean by "keep it and dip it in caches for the miles and the memories"?

Specifically..."dip it in caches" ???

TIA

OP thanks for the question I have been wondering about the diff between these things/

Newb question: What do you mean by "keep it and dip it in caches for the miles and the memories"?

Specifically..."dip it in caches" ???

TIA

OP thanks for the question I have been wondering about the diff between these things/

Dipping means you physically bring the coin/TB to the cache you find but don't leave it in the cache. You bring it back and keep it with you. When you go to log the find on the cache, you can drop the bug/coin into the cache and then go to the TB's page and retrieve it back out so that it shows in your inventory again. You can do this for every cache you find. If this is your TB, you can do this as long as you wish. If it is someone else's TB, you should email the owner and ask if they would mind you dipping their bug. Most owners probably don't mind, but it's best to ask.

Edit: forgot to add...when you log the retrieve on the TB's page, go ahead and delete the retrieval log. The TB will still show as being dropped in the cache and credited with the mileage and the retrieve log won't clutter up the page.

Bruce

Edited by Bassanio

Dipping means you physically bring the coin/TB to the cache you find but don't leave it in the cache. You bring it back and keep it with you. When you go to log the find on the cache, you can drop the bug/coin into the cache and then go to the TB's page and retrieve it back out so that it shows in your inventory again. You can do this for every cache you find. If this is your TB, you can do this as long as you wish. If it is someone else's TB, you should email the owner and ask if they would mind you dipping their bug. Most owners probably don't mind, but it's best to ask.

Edit: forgot to add...when you log the retrieve on the TB's page, go ahead and delete the retrieval log. The TB will still show as being dropped in the cache and credited with the mileage and the retrieve log won't clutter up the page.

Bruce

I wouldn't recommend deleting your log on another persons bug page. Let them decide what is clutter. The Retrieve log is typically where people write something about the journey. If you are dipping their bug you might as well tell them something about the experience.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Bruce

I wouldn't recommend deleting your log on another persons bug page. Let them decide what is clutter. The Retrieve log is typically where people write something about the journey. If you are dipping their bug you might as well tell them something about the experience.

I agree. Plus I do not buy into the whole "clutter up the page" argument. I am happy to see almost every log and note on any of my trackables and also on any of my caches. The only logs or notes I am not happy to see are the ones that say a trackable is missing or that a cache needs maintenance or is missing.

Bruce

I agree. Plus I do not buy into the whole "clutter up the page" argument. I am happy to see almost every log and note on any of my trackables and also on any of my caches. The only logs or notes I am not happy to see are the ones that say a trackable is missing or that a cache needs maintenance or is missing.

Oops, my mistake! I should've made it clear in my post: deleting the retrieve logs was only for personal TB's/geocoins that I own. Since I only dip the coin for mileage, the retrieve logs just end up being meaningless clutter, so I delete them. Thanks for the correction, BD & Wrastro!

Bruce