How to CITO glass?

What do you bring along to CITO glass or other sharps?

I saw a lot of glass shards from broken beer bottles yesterday while caching with three of my kids. I wanted to set a good example and take it out, but how could I carry the stuff without cutting up my hands or pockets or pack?

I usually end a day's walk with at least one pocket full of rubbish, which I expect, but I never thought of how to safely carry more dangerous things like sharp metal or something nasty. (Canoe trips, where I cut my teeth, are easy since you're basically paddling a giant aluminum or fiberglas trash can. :7)

Any thoughts from more experienced cachers/outdoorspeople?

- Will

What do you bring along to CITO glass or other sharps?

I saw a lot of glass shards from broken beer bottles yesterday while caching with three of my kids. I wanted to set a good example and take it out, but how could I carry the stuff without cutting up my hands or pockets or pack?

I usually end a day's walk with at least one pocket full of rubbish, which I expect, but I never thought of how to safely carry more dangerous things like sharp metal or something nasty. (Canoe trips, where I cut my teeth, are easy since you're basically paddling a giant aluminum or fiberglas trash can. :7)

Any thoughts from more experienced cachers/outdoorspeople?

- Will

The thing about glass as trash is that its not bad for the environment.

Sure it's ugly and dangerous but its still not damaging to the environment. If you can't CITO it then find a way to properly dispose of it in the conditions you are in. A really easy way to do this is to bury it or cover it with a rock.

I would NOT risk injury to myself just to carry trash out. Whether glass or a hypodermic, I'm not going to risk getting hurt.

If you chose to pack it out, I'd suggest you carry leather gloves as standard fare. In addition, try a canvas bag (like those used by the banks for coin). They should hold up to the glass and would be safer.

You might also carry one of those reacher/grabber tools to pick it up (even less chance of cuts or infection). And these are invaluable if you are height challenged for some caches.

Wow. I never realized how hard it was to pick up glass. I normally just put it in a regular plastic trash bag and carry it to the first garbage can that I find. Sure, the corners of teh glass poke the bag a bit, but the bag doesn't get torn enough that the glass falls out.

Edited by sbell111

I really like the idea of keeping a flattened paper bag in the bottom of my little lumbar pack: it takes minimal room but it's always there.

A few pieces of glass aren't a big deal because I can wrap the plastic shopping bag around them, but when a whole bottle breaks it'll do in that plastic sack in no time!

- Will

As an ex-trail maintainer, I have some choice words concerning glass. Fortunately, I cannot print them here. :blink: Wow! You can carry a case of Corona up the mountain, but you cannot carry the empties back out? (Corona has the heaviest bottles.) Oh! You don't want your parents to see you recycling when you're underage? Please don't toss the bottles into the mountain laurel. If you leave them by the side of the trail, it's much easier for me to pick up. Or was when I maintained the trail... Trail maintenance is mostly about bringing out garbage...

Broken glass: paper bag. Then put the paper bag in a plastic bag to make the carrying easier. Glass shards? Nothing you can do about them.

Just started Geocaching in th last week.

Fount a CITO TB and when we placed it today we found a TON of trash near the cache site.

A lot of rusted paint cans and broken glass along with some old unbroken glass.

We carried out a good bit. We took a picture of the CITO TB with a small pile of 'respectable' trash.

We are planning on going back to this site to carry out more trash later.

2009Shortcut

e664e7fc-c0d3-48a3-95d4-b06cd62d3546.jpg