How to create "100" with smilys?

Hi,

I logged my 100st cache. I have already seen some online logs where people created the number "100" with smilies, but cannot find them anymore. Now I tried to create such a nice log entry. While logging, the smilies all were in the right order and formed a big "100". But when I published it, the smilies moved and were completely out of order and formed nothing. Can you please help me with these kind of log, forming a number with smilies? Thanks!

Hi,

I logged my 100st cache. I have already seen some online logs where people created the number "100" with smilies, but cannot find them anymore. Now I tried to create such a nice log entry. While logging, the smilies all were in the right order and formed a big "100". But when I published it, the smilies moved and were completely out of order and formed nothing. Can you please help me with these kind of log, forming a number with smilies? Thanks!

You might be able to reach this guy for advice :drama: (oops, I mean, ;) )

Seriously, not sure what you're talking about. Are you referring to HIDING caches that form a dotted-line picture of "100"? Or finding them? Or what?

Edite:

Ahhh.... I see what you mean. You used smileys in the log for your 100th find, formatted to form the digits for "100", but the wordwrap or other messed it up once you posted it and viewed it again. Sorry, don't have an answer for you there.

Edited by knowschad

Hi Knowschad,

hihi. No, my question is simple: I found my 100st cache and want to log it online. In that online log, I want to mention that it was my 100st found. I want to create the number 100 with smilies in the online log, the number should consist of smilies, just like the following (hope that it will work here, I use 1s instead of smilies here, because the board does not allow too much smilies in one entry):

1111 11111 11111

1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1

1 11111 11111

But when I publish the log, the smilies move and are out of order, so that there's no 100 any longer.

Edited by sterni2009

If you need to insert a space in between smileys, try inserting a dot, with color = white.

:)[color=white].....[/color]:)

:drama:.....;)

Multiple spaces get concatenated into one, but the dots do not. I think. I only did a limited amount of experimenting with it.

Edited by Chrysalides

Use

<space> <space>

to replace a smiley space (roughly).

For example look at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...60-ca4df1940435

Also note you cannot edit it, you have to paste again on top.

...but don't tell the CO I told you how to do this. As a CO a ' :drama::P 100 ;):)' would suffice.

Thank you, that's exactly what I am looking for. But I must admit, I haven't understood how to do it... Just wanted to copy your example entry, but has not worked...

oh no, here it does not work either. But do you know understand what I mean?

I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean.

I assume that you're trying to display smiley face images with "whitespace" in between them such that they align to form the number 100.

The alignment problem is most likely due to how a web page is formatted. If you insert two images into the log and type in more than one space (using the space bar), when the log is displayed it will collapse multiple spaces down to one. In order to align the image you need to include some html which specifically manages the formatting (for example, using the   entity will display a blank space. Concatenate several of them together and you can manage how much space is between the images. There are other ways to do it but it's really beyond the scope of this forum to fully describe how to do it.

What I would do is find a log that has what you're looking for, use a screen capture program that will allow you "draw" a rectangle around the portion of the screen you want to capture and save it as an image. Then you can just upload the image to your log.

When building your smiley 100, assuming you are using Windows, do it in Notepad, and make sure that you have selected a font like Courier New, in which every character has the same width. Then use

[:D]

to write the numbers and something like

[|)]

for the background - you should be able to see the pattern building up in Notepad.

For example:

[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]
[|)][|)][:D][|)][|)][:D][:D][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][:D][:D][|)][|)]
[|)][:D][:D][|)][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][|)][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][|)]
[|)][|)][:D][|)][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][|)][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][|)]
[|)][|)][:D][|)][|)][:D][:D][:D][|)][|)][|)][:D][:D][:D][|)][|)]
[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]

Edited by sTeamTraen

You're the man!

And cache owners the world over will hate your guts :drama:

Totally off topic : So I wonder if I would offend by saying "you're the man" when I don't know your gender. Then I noticed your username. Which led me to wonder what is a Tavis. And the first thing google spits out is "Tavis Smiley - political commentator". Real life is sometimes stranger than fiction...