What will your next GPSr do?

If you could decide what your next GPSr could do, what would it do? I thought of this when a friend of mine showed me his HTC, which had a metal detector with it.

Here is what I have got already… (please add or correct me)

|---------------------------------| - Garmin - | -- Apple - | ---------- |

|_________________________________| Oregon 550 | _ iPhone _ | __ HTC ___ |

| Paperless Geocaching .......... | ... Y .... | ... Y .... | ... N .... |

| Metal Detector ................ | ... N .... | ... ? .... | ... Y .... |

| Magnifier ..................... | ... N .... | ... N .... | ... N .... |

| Photograph with waypoint ...... | ... Y .... | ... ? .... | ... ? .... |

| Barcode reader* ............... | ... N .... | ... Y .... | ... ? .... |

| Field Notes ................... | ... Y .... | ... ? .... | ... ? .... |

| Type out log (@ GZ)............ | ... ? .... | ... ? .... | ... ? .... |

| Upload photo to GC.com (@GZ) .. | ... ? .... | ... ? .... | ... ? .... |

| Upload log to GC.com (@GZ)......| ... ? .... | ... ? .... | ... ? .... |

| Upload sound to GC.com (@GZ)....| ... N .... | ... N .... | ... N .... |

| Upload video to GC.com (@GZ)....| ... N .... | ... N .... | ... N .... |

| Cellphone to PAF................| ... N .... | ... Y .... | ... Y .... |

|_________________________________|____________|____________|____________|

You never know GC.com TPTB, Garmin, Apple, HTC or others may be watching.

Notes:

* A CO prints a barcode on the cache container or logbook, the gadget scans it and automatically opens up a find log to be typed.

I know exactly what my next GPSr will do (PN-40), but the one after that...

(IN THE WORLD OF NEXT TUESDAY!)

How about blue tooth-enabled shared processing? Multiple units in close proximity to each other would share information and increase the accuracy of each unit. Think of it like averaging your coordinates but with multiple units simultaneously.

How about blue tooth-enabled shared processing? Multiple units in close proximity to each other would share information and increase the accuracy of each unit. Think of it like averaging your coordinates but with multiple units simultaneously.

That would actually be cool!

Holy Creeping Featuritis, Batman! My next GPSr will be smaller, lighter and have longer (preferably infinite) battery life. It will never lose signal, not in the deepest canyon, at the bottom of a mineshaft nor under dense forest canopy. Tracklogs of my trips will be perfect, with no breaks or 100-mph phantom sidetrips. Elevation fixes will be so accurate that I'll be able to go back to that lookout tower in New Mexico and tell the nice fire-spotter lady with certainty whether or not she's above 10,000 feet. It'll accept routes of unlimited length and complexity, and take waypoint labels longer than six stinkin' characters.

My next GPSr won't have maps, HD color screen, Bluetooth, cappuccino machine, or MP3. It will be tiny, reliable and indestructable. And if I want to have it before my Foretrex 201s wear out, I'd better get cracking, because none of the major manufacturers seem to be working on my next GPSr. :drama:

Fold out OLED screens to allow for larger maps, making topo more useful while in the field (while still having a good quality standard screen for typical usage).

Also: GSM / CDMA card slots to support 3G and 4G wireless Internet features like direct access to GC.com, instant Pocket Queries, logging, forums, video (Live Caching), Skype, heck you name it. I could see huge potential for wireless applications tied to a high quality and accurate GPSr that's rugged and dependable.

Of course now is when I would have to wish for some new battery technologies to support all this power hungry technology so I don't have to drag a 40 lb. 12V car battery along the trail. . . Maybe a solar generating T-shirt (with a Garmin or DeLorme or Magellan logo as appropriate).

More screen, less unit. Touch screen is now a must to me. More accessible card slot. I don't want to disassemble it to swap cards. Stability. Less extraneous stuff... butt wipers, cameras, games, mud flaps, wheels, dials, walkie talkies, and buttons and instead a more dependable and accurate receiver.

Andynshe: Much of your wish list... "support 3G...wireless Internet...direct access to GC.com, instant Pocket Queries, logging, forums...Skype..." ...already exists in a variety of smart phones, including the ones the OP mentioned. About the only thing "new" you're asking for is a ruggedized IPX7 case and a field replaceable battery :P