De Lorme PN 30

From what I understand the PN-30 is basically a PN-40 without a compass or altimeter and has slightly better battery life.

..yet they are charging MORE for it.. :drama:

DeLorme isn't charging more. The retailers are. The 40 lists for $399, the 30 for $299 (IIRC). What price the retailer gets is up to them.

Well it seems as thought the PN 40 prices have bumped up a little as the PN 30 is retailing at a level that I 've seen PN 40's at on special. I bought a PN 20 for my son a few months back as he said he was interested in resuming caching, he really has not, but that unit seems slow to acquire, slow to draw a map, has a system that is not real intuitive and I am not looking to go in that direction, any further comments would be appreciated. I have suffered with an Explorist 500 for several years and am looking for ease of operation and downloads

Well it seems as thought the PN 40 prices have bumped up a little as the PN 30 is retailing at a level that I 've seen PN 40's at on special. I bought a PN 20 for my son a few months back as he said he was interested in resuming caching, he really has not, but that unit seems slow to acquire, slow to draw a map, has a system that is not real intuitive and I am not looking to go in that direction, any further comments would be appreciated. I have suffered with an Explorist 500 for several years and am looking for ease of operation and downloads

The PN-20 is relatively old, and the 30/40 were designed to be much faster at the things the 20 was slow with.

Not sure what you mean by "a system that is not real intuitive" - if you aren't using the current firmware for the DeLorme devices (all have received updates recently), then yes, geocaching is going to be much harder to stay organized than it is with the latest firmware. You can now send full cache descriptions direct to the devices, log them & enter Field Notes to upload to gc.com - 100% paperless caching.

There is a learning process for working with Topo7/8, but you don't have to know all the ins & outs just to download & prepare maps for the devices - you don't even have to use them at all for putting maps on the GPS, you can select & download map packages through any web browser.

Edited by dakboy