Garmin GPS units do not come with maps?

Most mapping Garmins come with only a basemap which is permanently affixed in the unit. You can buy routing maps like City Nav which are locked to the unit. Some auto/motorcycle units come with CN on them already.

here are also unlocked maps which are technically transferable* but they, generally speaking, do not autoroute out of the box.

If you tell us what kind of unit you are considering and what you are planning to do with it we, collectively, will have a better chance of answering your questions.

* Read the the EULA to see if Garmin thinks they are legally transferable

Some units come with maps, some do not. Units that do, command a higher price. The Oregon 400T comes with Topo for example. The Oregon 300 does not, though topo is not locked to one unit. Maps for address to address routing must be purchased for any of the handhelds, and can only be unlocked to one unit, whereas the Nuvi line comes pre loaded with the City Navigator maps. Updates must eventually be purchased for any of the mapping software if you want the latest maps available.

Be careful with generalizations. Garmin makes scores (hundreds?) of units. The OP was insufficiently precise in his question to give a good answer. The outdoors units may or may not come with topo maps and may, in fact, not support mapping at all. The automotive units always (?) come with maps. Marine and avaition units aren't much covered in this group.

The generalization that the units with maps are more expensive doesn't even always hold true across lines. Street price for a Nuvi 205 is about $120 USD (and if you're willing to go discontinued or refub, you can go lower than that) while the Venture HC, an outdoors model, doesn't include maps but costs about the same.

We could split hairs all day long, but I recommend that the OP ask a more focused question. What models are under consideration and what's the target use?

So far I am looking at the 60GSX and Vista HCx. I am not locked on those so it does not make sense to buy one of them if a model for a few bucks more come with the maps.

Also this may be a stupid question but what is the difference between the basemap and a topo map?

The Basemap that comes with the 60 CSx and Vista HCx is very basic, only displaying major roads and larger towns and cities. About enough to get you started and tell you where you are, but not much more than that. There are various types of topographical maps available for the Garmins which include a great deal more detail. Small towns, streets, country roads, some trails, water bodies, etc., and topographical info. www.gpsfiledepot.com has very good maps for most (all??) of the U.S., and at a great price. Garmin also sells topos for those two units. If you're purchasing from Garmin, some of the maps are locked to a single GPSr unit, others aren't, but check the EULA for each to be sure. If you're wondering about a specific product, post the name and someone should be able to answer. Cheers!

Both the 60csx and the Vista HCX come with a basemap and no other maps unless you find them in some kind of bundle somewhere.

Mapping Garmin GPSr sold new in North America will have the North American basemap: the continent's highways, water bodies, political division, major roads, etc. The data is simplified/reduced to make it fit the assigned amount of space in the unit. It will be enough to see roughly where you are in relation to major features but many people, probably misunderstanding the inherent constraints, complain that it is not useful. I do not make that complaint.

Topo maps are detailed maps intended to convey topographical detail. The rise and fall of the land, terrain, altitude changes. Useful for hiking, I suppose, and some use it for caching. I own Topo and never use it. . If you've ever bought a paper topo map from USGS then you might be the right person for that product.

Personally, I use a 60cx in the hand, a ForeTrex 201 on the bike, and a refurb i3 in the car. If I had to pick just one it would be the 60cx.