New caching acronym: "WNSA"

This stands for "will not seek again", and it refers to a cache that a person could not find, and it turns out to be too challenging for another attempt. The cacher who logs a WNSA has personally archived that specific cache, and does not intend to look for it ever again.

Edited by DENelson83

I feel WMIWJTTCA (well maybe I will just try that cache again) will shortly follow :unsure:.

I have created a new acronymn: ROOT – ran out of time. Like a DNF but if you had more time you believe you would have found it.

I like ROOT... on July 2nd I simply ran out of everything... started well after sundown, went til the bugs came and the batteries on the electrics (light and GPSr) went away... as for the first one, no maybe involved, I will be going back, now that I've fixed the typo in my coordinates (sigh) that led to the extended search in the dark in the first place.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

This stands for "will not seek again", and it refers to a cache that a person could not find, and it turns out to be too challenging for another attempt. The cacher who logs a WNSA has personally archived that specific cache, and does not intend to look for it ever again.

I'd be much more likely to use that on a cache I walked away from for quality issues. Things like SDVs, LPTs, and BNTS caches.

Scenic Dumpster Vista

Large Pile of Trash

Behind No Trespassing Sign

I like ROOT too. Maybe a ROOD for Ran Out Of Daylight, too.

WNSA sounds useful, although I'm too stubborn to do a WNSA much myself, just because to me it's a puzzle and sooner or later, I want to find out what the darn answer is!

How about NAGDBC, for Not Another Bridge Cache (inspired by a cache near me whose name I remember but I couldn't find the listing for now that it's archived)? And I suppose then we'd need NAGDLSM for lamp skirt micros, which I personally think are fun but which there have been some rants against on various forums....

ICBIFTBAP....I can't believe I forgot to bring a pen!

WAF....Washed Away Forever, sadly needed after some big storms.

ISBU....In Sight But Unreachable, for when it's high up in a tree whose branches would not support larger cachers climbing to it, or underneath something that a skinny little cache-placer could squeeze into but a healthy farm girl can't, or if it *was* attached to something but fell from its hiding place into somewhere it can't be recovered from. In cases like the first two, it is of course up to the cache owner to decide whether to allow someone to claim a find or not, depending on whether they *meant* access to be part of the challenge.

What is the fascination with acronyms amongst cachers? In a chat room they make sense so you don't fall behind the conversation, but you have all the time you want to post a log, so why not just type the words out? Sorry, it's just that acronyms annoy me because the hider went through the time, effort, and expense to hide the cache, and I think they deserve more than a generic "TFTH."

What is the fascination with acronyms amongst cachers? In a chat room they make sense so you don't fall behind the conversation, but you have all the time you want to post a log, so why not just type the words out? Sorry, it's just that acronyms annoy me because the hider went through the time, effort, and expense to hide the cache, and I think they deserve more than a generic "TFTH."

I'm with you. I think that acronyms, as well as poor grammer, are just lazy. A lot of people use testspeak just because they never bothered to lern how to spel.

I'm with you. I think that acronyms, as well as poor grammer, are just lazy. A lot of people use testspeak just because they never bothered to lern how to spel.

Uber genius? :unsure:

Sorry could not resist.......

Edited by RS67Man

Uber genius? :unsure:

Sorry could not resist.......

Would you believe only one of those were unintentional? I meant "teXtspeak".

grammer, lern, and spel were all intended.

By the way, typos have nothing to do with intelligence.

By the way, typos have nothing to do with intelligence.

True, only to the ability to apply said intelligence......... :unsure:

While we are on the subject of acronyms, to briskly move this back on topic......

SYWL= Signed Your Waterlogged Log

CCNR=Cache Container Needs Replacement

FCFG=Found Cache Full of Garbage

and on and on.........

I'd be much more likely to use that on a cache I walked away from for quality issues.

Agreed. If a cache is so difficult as tp preculde any future visits, I probably wouldn't be seeking it in the first place.

The only times I go to a cache and walk away is when, upon arrival, my fun meter pings at zero.

LPCs & dumpsters have that effect on me.

I've been to some great caches that earned multiple paragraphs from me. Some times I'll tack a TFTF on the end. It gives me a little chuckle after all those words. I've also been to caches that haven't earned a TFTC.

It stands to reason that if, like you said, the cache owner that went to the expense and effort to hide a cache and thus deserves a real log then if the CO put in an abbreviated effort an abbreviated log should suffice.

HAWAJSUAASUW? = "How about we all just stop using acronyms and start using words?"

I'm with you there bud. Short hand is great in a time crunch, or when using a less than easy input method (cell phone), but why not just spell things out? The use of acronyms makes it harder for people unless they are very much up on the lingo.

"Hey, honey, remember that cache we placed? Well some yahoo just gave away the location! He posted a log that just says ROOT. Idiot, now everyone knows it's at the base of the tree under that root. I'm gonna delete that log..."

What is the fascination with acronyms amongst cachers?

I hope a true "old timer" will set me straight here, but I suspect that they were originally used only in the paper logs to conserve paper. That, or were used to speed up logging and cache page retrieval on the old dial-up connections.

I hope a true "old timer" will set me straight here, but I suspect that they were originally used only in the paper logs to conserve paper. That, or were used to speed up logging and cache page retrieval on the old dial-up connections.

As somebody that lives outside the range of any reasonable broadband solution, I can tell you that a few extra characters aren't slowing down my dial-up connection. Unless you mean the really old dial-up modems, but I think those were all in the bin by the time geocaching.com was registered.

Incorrect. People are lazy.

Every sub-culture has it's own lingo. It's our tribal instinct - part of our ability to identify with the group and identify those who are not. Acronyms are part of that. All kinds of industries, clubs and subcultures have their own language.

I understand it, but I don't need to like it.

People have used them in everything the do. I suspect it is because they sound "cool". It isn't limited to geocaching. Here are a few you may have heard outside our little sport. AA JFK AMD CPU LOL SAT OMG AKC Most professional groups have there own lists. Just ask the AMA. I'm sure they'll get back to you STAT.

People have used them in everything the do. I suspect it is because they sound "cool". It isn't limited to geocaching. Here are a few you may have heard outside our little sport. AA JFK AMD CPU LOL SAT OMG AKC Most professional groups have there own lists. Just ask the AMA. I'm sure they'll get back to you STAT.

STAT is not an acronym, by the way. It's short for statim, the Latin word for immediately. I only tell you that 'cause I care. :drama:

STAT is not an acronym, by the way. It's short for statim, the Latin word for immediately. I only tell you that 'cause I care. ;)

Knew I should have looked it up. Now I know and will probably never need to again. :drama:

you should join the AAAA.

880_15.jpg

SLAPP

Sounds Like A Personal Problem.

I was looking at a cache in Texas and came across this log from 2006.

Do all those log acronyms confuse anyone else? TNLNSLGKPM, TFTC, etc. etc.

I’ve decided to create some acronyms and put them into service. You can use these if you want:

ICRHTSTNLN – I can’t remember how to spell “took nothing, left nothing”

IABDYCIIGS – It’s a beautiful day. Your cache is in good shape.

IWHFIFIIHTMGPS – I would have found it faster if I had trusted my GPS.

TVLPLLINTA – There’s very little pencil led left, I need to abbreviate.

The concept is great... however I lean to the minimumalist side a bit... How about PLOP

That would be Plain Language On Posts...

Doug

I do to, but I've been forcing myself to avoid acronym shortcuts.

I take it as a point of personal pride to not use them. I'd like to think that people appreciate the little bit of extra effort it takes to avoid lazy logging. Maybe I'm delusional?

I agree, TFTH is just not proper...that's why I always use TFTC!!!!

Every once in a while I will use some silly acronyms on caches, especially the ones where I thought the hider didn't even slow their car down while throwing out their 35mm film canister by the landfill:

GABARC

IHTKIWMP

IWWCTL

Which means, I got attacked by a rabid coyote. I had to kill it with my pocketknife. I wonder what coyote tastes like

I never explain in my logs what it means, and as of yet no one has asked. On caches that I don't even feel like typing a log, because the hider didn't put any effort into it either, I'll only put TFTC TNLNSL which to me means

Thanks for placing this cache here in this creepy cemetery, I didn't take anything out of the cache because McDonalds toys don't interest me anymore because I'm a grown man. And since I didn't take anything, I'm not going to leave this cool LED flashlight that I've been carrying around for a month. I did however sign the log, whith my own pen because the one in the cache is broke and dried up. Also the log was full and pretty damp. :drama:

I take it as a point of personal pride to not use them. I'd like to think that people appreciate the little bit of extra effort it takes to avoid lazy logging. Maybe I'm delusional?

Funny, I feel the same way about making the effort to spell things correctly, including using the correct version of to/too/two in the correct place. (Not to mention your/you're and there/their/they're.) I'd like to think that people appreciate the little bit of extra effort it takes to avoid lazy posting. Don't you? (-;

Funny, I feel the same way about making the effort to spell things correctly, including using the correct version of to/too/two in the correct place. (Not to mention your/you're and there/their/they're.) I'd like to think that people appreciate the little bit of extra effort it takes to avoid lazy posting. Don't you? (-;

I think you forgot your badge at home. Here, have mine:

grammarpolice.jpg

i have used FTF = flattened the ferns once or twice, and when absolutely necessary i have referred to the PTCFD, the plattsburgh trashcache flash dash, which is what you have to do when you go over on the ferry and someone has put out a LARGE collection of leaky gladwares thrown casually in trashpiles. occasionally i make reference to TWT, or things with thorns, but i find that on the whole acronyms do not enhance my meaning or readability.

watevr

watevr

Me to