Magellan Triton 500 Problem and Questions

Having a strange issue with the Triton 500. When I click on Cache Details, the unit hangs for a couple if minutes and then informs me that it needs to shut down. I download the .LOC files and have a feeling that it's a bug related to the fact that I'm not a premium member. Anyone have any info on this?

I also have a question: How do I mark a cache as found? I saw another poster say that they can edit the name, but I don't see how to do that.

...and one more: Is there a way to extend battery life by turning off the altimeter and compass?

I've now been using the Triton 500 for a few weeks and I have to say that it's got a pretty non-intuitive interface, it's accuracy is suspect, and the battery life stinks.

That said, I did only pay $40 for it. Bought it at the REI garage sale as a known non-working model. Messed around with it before giving up and calling Magellan. They informed me that I was eligible for a free replacement. Cha-ching!

Edited by spamgnome

Having a strange issue with the Triton 500. When I click on Cache Details, the unit hangs for a couple if minutes and then informs me that it needs to shut down. I download the .LOC files and have a feeling that it's a bug related to the fact that I'm not a premium member. Anyone have any info on this?

I also have a question: How do I mark a cache as found? I saw another poster say that they can edit the name, but I don't see how to do that.

...and one more: Is there a way to extend battery life by turning off the altimeter and compass?

I've now been using the Triton 500 for a few weeks and I have to say that it's got a pretty non-intuitive interface, it's accuracy is suspect, and the battery life stinks.

That said, I did only pay $40 for it. Bought it at the REI garage sale as a known non-working model. Messed around with it before giving up and calling Magellan. They informed me that I was eligible for a free replacement. Cha-ching!

In order to get the cache info you do have to be a premium member. You need the GPX file for info. You can get lots of info on your 500 here http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/index.php...d321f9911048a91.

Edited by ricstone

I have a Triton 400. Same unit except I have no barometer or compass.

Marking a cache found...Even though the icon is in the unit, you can't access it directly. There are a couple of options...

1. Mark it as Found in VantagePoint(I have instructions on how to make that possible), then tranfer it to the Triton. This option is no help in the field.

2. Edit the name. When scrolling through the list of caches, press the right arrow button. Then you get the cache info. Highlight the name. Then Edit it. I don't like this option.

3. When scrolling through the list of caches, press the right arrow button. Then you get the cache info. Highlight the cache icon. Press Select. Then change the icon. I like to use the one for the locationless cache(not used very often). It looks a flag on top of half the world. This is I think the best option for now.

I do believe there will be another Triton update around the end of the year that will improve on the geocaching stuff.

I think my issue is that I cannot get to the cache details to do any type of edits. My unit reboots after a few minutes of churning. My guess is that it's a bug related to the unit's inability to find the advanced information provided in a GPX file. If you're willing, I wouldn't mind playing around with a sample GPX or LOC file to see if I might be able to fix the problem. My e-mail is txfrank@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance

It's actually the "Placed by" box in the details edit screen in Vantage Point. Put something in there if it is blank.

OK, that worked, but I have several hundred caches...I guess the only way is to do that one by one? Ugh. Thanks for the help!

Make sure you download the newest firmware. The Magellan website has been down for the past 5 or so days for some conversion they are doing. Once it's back up and ready for downloads update the unit to 1.85. You might give the update a try in Vantage Point, but that's probably down as well.

There is no way to mark a geocache as found, one of the glaringly stupid problems with this device.

Battery life stinks, get rechargeables, then you won't care.

Edited by sanramonhunter

OK, that worked, but I have several hundred caches...I guess the only way is to do that one by one? Ugh. Thanks for the help!

Or get the premium membership here to use the gpx files.

OK. I got the premium membership, but now I don't see a way to download a GPX for more than one cache at a time. True?

Or get the premium membership here to use the gpx files.

OK. I got the premium membership, but now I don't see a way to download a GPX for more than one cache at a time. True?

Use Pocket Quieies