So long, old friend

gps.png

Gone missing in a local biking equipment store. When I went in, it was clipped to my geocaching bag... when I left, I realized it no longer was. I assume it got snagged on something and came unclipped, or someone reached over and unclipped it without me noticing... I have no clue which. My phone number shows up when you turn it on, AND in the "home" waypoint... but no phone calls in about 24 hours, and the store staff haven't had anything turned in. At this point (also because I tend to be pessimistic, and have zero hope that one of the ridiculously rare 'honest people' found it), I have zero expectation of it coming back again :unsure:.

So... I'm debating whether to get another 60Cx, or move to something else. The Cx treated me really good and never had any problems... and the price is a lot lower now than it was back in 2006.

At the risk of starting a fire on the forum, that really bites! From what you described, I would say that it is 95% probable that it was snagged by a scumbag. Why people have no regard to others property is beyond me. I hope you can forgive and forget, that way you experience less stress over what is really a inanimate object. (expensive yes, but not what the earth revolves around)

The 60Cx is a great little unit, no doubt about that. Do you want to go to paperless caching? Do Garmin products still hold favor for you? Has another manufacturers product caught your eye lately? Have you had a chance to try other GPSr's that friends use? We can get into a Ford is better than Chevy better than Dodge better than BMW........ type of exchange, or just agree that it is a personal choice that you are going to make, hopefully after some diligent research.

At the risk of starting a fire on the forum, that really bites! From what you described, I would say that it is 95% probable that it was snagged by a scumbag. Why people have no regard to others property is beyond me.

Now, come on, be empathetic for a moment. That hot little GPSr just saved someone from about 3 days of meth withdrawal.

I'd defer mournibng for a little more than 24 hours. Someone might still turn it in.

Also, Garmin keeps a list of registered GPSs (if you did register it, of course). I sold an eTrex Legend H to someone on the forums a few months back -- and when he tried to register it, I got an email and a phone call from Garmin asking if I had really sold it and if it was okay to un-register it from myGarmin account.

You might get it back still.

Edited by lee_rimar

I can relate. My Saint Bernard decided to eat my Colorado. It's totally distroyed. I think he did it becuase I didn't take him caching. :unsure:

i think our dog has eaten at least 2 of my wifes cellphones. i always make sure i put my gps is the same spot after use, so she doesn't eat that.

Yeah, I was debating whether or not to try another GPS. I was passing on the Oregon, since it seemed to "ipod-y" to me. Sorry, I like more than one button :P. I was almost debating getting a Rino, but the chances of me actually needing that capability doesn't override the price difference.

Also, I kinda wanted to stay away from brand-new-model this time, since that tends to equal double the current price of the Cx. I'm borrowing my brother's CSx right now... but for the benifit of the electronic compass, that's not worth the added $50 or so. And the altimeter would be of zero use to me in Manitoba.

But yeah... Iv'e already rolled it off my back and chalked it up to bad luck. Although, in all honesty I hope it fell off prior to the store somehow and got smashed under a car's tires. I'd rather it destroyed than in the hands of a thief :P.

I'm somewhat partial to Garmin, but that's mainly because I don't have experience with any other brands. And unfortunately, noone else I know (aside from other geocachers at an event) geocaches or has a GPS... so I can't really borrow another brand to test out at all.