Caching etiquette

So, my boyfriend and I are pretty new to geocaching and while out on a (6 hour long) caching adventure today we ran across a log that had 2 other signatures on the same day. That got us thinking: what do you do if you run into another cacher while searching? while filling out the log? while re-hiding the cache?

I figured maybe if you meet them while searching you just search together. I'm be a bit stumped on the other 2 scenarios. I mean, do you leave and come back when they're gone? or do you just cheat and fill it out without hunting for it yourself?

Anyway, that was my question...

Happy Caching!

-Lacey1417 & Shivers123 (The Froggers)

:unsure:

Hi Lacey, welcome to the addiction. FWIW, 12 step programs won't help. :unsure:

You'll find as many answers to your questions as their are cachers in these forums. None are set in stone.

What we do, if we see what we suspect are cachers actively hunting, is get their attention.

We introduce ourselves, then ask if they mind us helping. To date, no one has minded.

Since it then becomes a group hunt, once the cache is found it becomes an "All for One, One for All" scenario, where the logbook gets passed around.

When we cache as a group, we tackle this ahead of time, asking if folks want whoever locates it first to announce the fact, or to just step back and let everyone make the find on their own.

Depends!

I've walked past the cache when I've seen others searching. Stopped by a gate until they came past, had a chat - but said nothing about geocaching to them -but had to let on in the log, as they had left a coat by the cache!

Bumped into a cacher I'd met before, who had the cache in his pocket... Cache series, I'd had a quick look for this cache, and due to muggles close by had decided to have another go on the way back. He'd found it, and due to the muggles had decided to replace in on his way back!

I'd found a micro cache and as a muggle approached had put it in my pocket and moved away from the hiding place, to discover the 'muggle' was a cacher -had to admit I'd found the cache, and had it in my pocket, to save him wasting time on the search!

... what do you do if you run into another cacher while searching? while filling out the log? while re-hiding the cache?

-Lacey1417 & Shivers123 (The Froggers)

:unsure:

Scare the Holy Heck out of them... then come clean and have some fun together on the Group W bench. :)

We've run into other geocachers twice. The first was a family who was signing the log book of a 1/1 as we rounded a bend in the trail. We chatted with them and congratulated the micro-cacher for whom this was his first personal find. We came back later and signed the log ourselves.

The second time we encountered a woman searching for a multi. We introduced ourselves and asked her if she'd like us to come back later. She generously invited us to join her. She found the stage she was looking for, J found the next one, and she found the last one. It was a brand new cache, and she very politely claimed a co-FTF with us, even though she found more than we did.

Do what you feel is right.

I arrived simultaneously with another group on a FTF. I knew exactly where the cache was by simple process of elimination and yelled it out before the other group could "find" it. I was about 50 feet farther than they were from the cache. They looked exactly where I said it would be and there it was.

We all logged the FTF together and laughed about the whole thing.

Welcome Froggers to The Wonderful World of Geocaching.

By all means, if you know for sure they are Geocachers, greet them and introduce yourselves. This is one of the benefits of Geocaching. My wife and I came across another group of cachers recently and we joined in the search. As it turned out, my wife found the cache. You need to do what makes you feel comfortable. Now if the cache you are looking for hasn't been found yet, you'll need to decide amongst yourselves who will log as the FTF (First To Find) Normally it will be the member of the party that finds it first. :unsure:

Edited by Walkworthy