The good, the bad, the ugly!

Now we all know about hiding a cache under a rock, or turning the common folgers can into a "super cool hiding device" but is there something better? or worse! I want to know These three things! The good! The bad! and the downright mean! What are some of the most intresting hiding spots that you have found? What are some of the most pitifull hiding spots or containers that you have found? And what are the most clever, mean, never should have found, most cunning hiding spots/ camoed containers that you have ever found/herd of! Wether it was something that you placed or just a funny story, just let it be known! :D

Edited by trvl dynamo

Worst: Well, I was staying at my sister's for Canada Day, and noticed that there was another cache on the trail the runs along the creek behind her place. So I set out to find it, and discovered quite quickly that is was a magnetic key holder under a bench. This normally wouldn't matter, but the older cache on that trail is hidden exactly in the same way. So there are now 2 identical caches, at either end of the same trail, about 1 km apart. It's nice to see new caches, but common, they're in exactly the same place on both benches even! Try harder!

Wierdest: One of my ftf's was 4-6 inches from a decomposing dead bird. The owner said he didn't notice it.

Edited by aniyn

Now we all know about hiding a cache under a rock, or turning the common folgers can into a "super cool hiding device" but is there something better? or worse! I want to know These three things! The good! The bad! and the downright mean! What are some of the most intresting hiding spots that you have found? What are some of the most pitifull hiding spots or containers that you have found? And what are the most clever, mean, never should have found, most cunning hiding spots/ camoed containers that you have ever found/herd of! Wether it was something that you placed or just a funny story, just let it be known! :unsure:

the meanest ive found so far is the little "blinkies" HATE em!

the meanest spot: a place with 999999999999999 rocks and clue is "under a rock"

The cache, a white refrigerator magnet on the inside edge of a metal conduit attached to a telephone pole. You signed the magnet - no container. wandered around the corner for 25 mins before a neighbor came out and showed us. She was laughing her * off. :)

I have a friend that is Right Brained and has made some great hides. SO--- to honor him for his 1000th Cache I am making some unique hides for him.

The log pictured was originally going to be just a match container, hidden inside, but after his last hide I decided to CLAMP IT in the log with a piece of metal and OH YEA 2 inch screws. Did I Mention that the screws are SQUARE DRIVE and the hide is on a stump in the middle of a lake :yikes:

The item below it is 2 pieces of aluminum bolted together with the coordinates between them. OH YEA did I mention that the bolts are Torx. Most people don't carry Torx bits in their Cache Bag. :)

You really don't want to see what Stage 3 is <_< I didn't set it up but it is just as great.

We love you guys and we all CARE!!! :lol:

Edited by George1

I have a friend that is Right Brained and has made some great hides. SO--- to honor him for his 1000th Cache I am making some unique hides for him. Here is a picture of 2 of them.

The log pictured was originally going to be just a match container, hidden inside, but after his last hide I decided to CLAMP IT in the log with a piece of metal and OH YEA 2 inch screws. Did I Mention that the screws are SQUARE DRIVE and the hide is on a stump in the middle of a lake :yikes:

The item below it is 2 pieces of aluminum bolted together with the coordinates between them. OH YEA did I mention that the bolts are Torx. Most people don't carry Torx bits in their Cache Bag. :)

You really don't want to see what Stage 3 is <_< I didn't set it up but it is just as great.

We love you HC and we all CARE!!! :lol:

585091928_eWScG-L.jpg

I would take one look at that, think "what a jerk" and leave it behind.

JMHO

Then you wouldn't do this Cache and that is fine. MY Right Brained friend will love it. He loves a challenge.

BTW after one of HIS last Caches I had surgery on my knee. You don't hear me complaining. This Cache I have set up is a walk in the park compared what I had to go through on his last Cache.

Not everybody had to do every Cache. You can walk away. Just like Micros. Do them or let them go. Of course the choice is entirely up to you.

Edited by George1
I have a friend that is Right Brained and has made some great hides. SO--- to honor him for his 1000th Cache I am making some unique hides for him. Here is a picture of 2 of them.

585091928_eWScG-L.jpg

They look like maintenance nightmares.

Then you wouldn't do this Cache and that is fine. MY Right Brained friend will love it. He loves a challenge.

BTW after one of HIS last Caches I had surgery on my knee. You don't hear me complaining. This Cache I have set up is a walk in the park compared what I had to go through on his last Cache.

Not everybody had to do every Cache. You can walk away. Just like Micros. Do them or let them go. Of course the choice is entirely up to you.

Yes, but the cache will not be attempted only by your "right-brained" friend. And how will people know to avoid it until they've attempted it once.

It will be in the Cache description that this Cache is not for everyone and it will be rated that way. Maintenance is not an issue since I go to these places all the time. They are all protected from the weather anyhow. All the stages are Eco friendly too. No limbs will be broken nor will any ground cover be trampled.

We have a number of us that like to do these kind of Caches. If you choose not to do them fine but don't knock us that do. That's why there is a rating system. Our group has used climbing equipment, been in numerous tunnels and caves, crossed rivers and plain spent all day looking for a really well hidden container. Many caches we have done are much more extreme than this one. This is almost a walk in the park except for the unique hides.

In general, when you post something on a discussion board, it will be discussed. Not everyone will think that your idea is just awesome. If you are not interested in getting feedback, a blog might be more to your liking.

Edited by sbell111

Good and/or ugly:

498fdbdc-7e23-4504-9e81-95b90769ce03.jpg

You can see the birdhouse, and you can see the river below it. What the picture doesn't show is the 50 ft bluff that you approach this spot from after hiking a mile. You also can't see that the birdhouse is suspended by a very thin, very hard-to-spot wire that runs straight up to a pulley, then up to the top of the bluff through another pulley, then a couple hundred feet through the trees to yet another pulley, then down to an anchor on the ground. Once you've managed to trace the wire through the woods, lowering the birdhouse is simple enough. Then you just have to climb down the bluff and wade out to the cache.

And this was stage four of a five stage multi that was placed by the park.

Bad: A multi where the final coordinates were grafitti'ed in magic marker on the back of a street sign in a parking lot. The final was 50 feet away next to a dumpster at the edge of the lot.

585091928_eWScG-L.jpg

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be clever? What's next? Ammo can poured into a concrete slab? Probably post "soft" coords for it to boot.

The worst hide I've run across was a Bison tube in a tree by the area that semis/RVs park in a Walmart parking lot. The coords where soft, so wasn't sure which tree to look in, and there was crap all over the ground. And I mean crap in the literal sense. And not dog crap, unless dogs have learned to wipe afterwards with paper towels. I posted a DNF, left a nasty comment, and will never look for that cache again, it was in such a disgusting area.

The log pictured was originally going to be just a match container, hidden inside, but after his last hide I decided to CLAMP IT in the log with a piece of metal and OH YEA 2 inch screws. Did I Mention that the screws are SQUARE DRIVE and the hide is on a stump in the middle of a lake :lol:

The item below it is 2 pieces of aluminum bolted together with the coordinates between them. OH YEA did I mention that the bolts are Torx. Most people don't carry Torx bits in their Cache Bag. <_<

You really don't want to see what Stage 3 is :yikes: I didn't set it up but it is just as great.

We love you HC and we all CARE!!! :huh:

585091928_eWScG-L.jpg

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be clever? What's next? Ammo can poured into a concrete slab? Probably post "soft" coords for it to boot.

The phrase "mean spirited" comes to mind before "clever". I'd expect the final to this "great" multi to be listed as a large but is really a micro with a slip of paper telling you that you got fooled again. I guess...play the game the way you want :)

The worst hide I've run across was a Bison tube in a tree by the area that semis/RVs park in a Walmart parking lot. The coords where soft, so wasn't sure which tree to look in, and there was crap all over the ground. And I mean crap in the literal sense. And not dog crap, unless dogs have learned to wipe afterwards with paper towels. I posted a DNF, left a nasty comment, and will never look for that cache again, it was in such a disgusting area.

I had a similar experience with a TB hotel that was an ammo can chained to a post in the parking lot of a truck stop. Not hidden at all, just chained to the post. The surrounding area was just filth and garbage and smelled terrible. Predictably, someone cut the chain and stole the container and the owner doesn't respond to the fact that the cache is gone as well as any trackables that were in it.

There is another TB hotel hidden at another truck stop (by a different hider) and from the logs, it seems like it's a good cache without any of the problems this one had. I was just so put off about this cache that I don't even want to go visit the other one.

Bruce

Our group has used climbing equipment, been in numerous tunnels and caves, crossed rivers and plain spent all day looking for a really well hidden container. Many caches we have done are much more extreme than this one. This is almost a walk in the park except for the unique hides.

Awesome, as long as they are rated correctly. But those are quite different from (I am assuming a lot here, I understand...) trailering and launching a boat, taking it out to an island only to discover that you don't have the right sort of screwdriver with you to sign the log in the cache that you have actually found. I would fail to find any humor in that situation, I'm afraid. Just one cacher's opinion.

OK, I will add my 2 cents.

Worst hide was a film can that had a plastic tie rap punched through it so it could be hung from a tree branch. Of course it leaked like a sieve. Cache is now disabled by a reviewer, and is awaiting action by the CO. This is one where a bison would solve the issue.

Best one was a cammoed wire with a nano container so it looked like a very small stick about 6 inches long and placed in a 10 inch high bush in a two foot wide strip of land between a access road and the back of a building. It blended in to its surroundings completely, and even though it is in a high traffic area I doubt it will get muggled anytime soon.

OK, I will add my 2 cents.

Worst hide was a film can that had a plastic tie rap punched through it so it could be hung from a tree branch. Of course it leaked like a sieve. Cache is now disabled by a reviewer, and is awaiting action by the CO. This is one where a bison would solve the issue.

Best one was a cammoed wire with a nano container so it looked like a very small stick about 6 inches long and placed in a 10 inch high bush in a two foot wide strip of land between a access road and the back of a building. It blended in to its surroundings completely, and even though it is in a high traffic area I doubt it will get muggled anytime soon.

Completely off topic but have you been to any car shows at Kelly's Cafe? I was just there last weekend for the Opel Nationals. I thought that would be a great place for a hide with a theme of trading matchbox cars.