Thanks Elias and Jeremy

StarBrand

Thanks for getting up in the middle of the night to check on things.

Thanks for cutting your vacation short.

Thanks for hanging around for hours to see what could be done.

Thanks for keeping us informed with tweets and fb.

Thanks for the speed in which you acted on the restoration of the site. Glad that the majority of any damage was contained away from the servers. I think most realize the site could have been down for days or weeks due to incidents such as this and appreciate all you did to get it back up and running when you could have been enjoying the holiday. Thanks again for all you do.

Geocachers, world-wide, woke this morning to find geocaching.com up and running. Jubilation reigned! What we didn't see were the long hours (and hours!) of worry, waiting and work that it took to bring it back online.

Elias, thank you. I know how much I am looking forward to my time away from work next month. If I got called back, for whatever reason, only to find that I was going to have to work - literally, around the clock - to deal with an emergency - well, I'm sure you handled it with grace and aplomb; I hope you're sleeping as I type!

Jeremy, bless you - your tweets were invaluable to so many. I often sit in Clayjar's IRC channel, #geocache. Cacher-after-cacher passed through the channel, yesterday, hoping for information, answers and reassurance. Thanks to your frequent updates, we were able to pass your information along (and, I hope, reassure!). I know you had several sleepless nights.

From what I've observed over the years, the Groundspeak gang is a close-knit, dedicated group. I imagine there were many more folks - behind the scenes - who were integral parts of the disaster recovery team Thanks to you all.

I got on about 11:10pm, right after the nightly backup and got to a couple threads and then it went dead. "Oh, well so much for the smoking forums. Guess Elias will need to fix the index again." Little did I know at the time the forums were quite literally smoking. Found out about the problems the next morning and found Jeremy's tweets. Thanks for the Tweets Jeremy. And a big thanks to Elias for cutting the vacation short and coming back to oversee the bring up and making sure every thing was working fine. I sure hope Jeremy gives you some well deserved comp time for that.

Jim

Just to add my thanks from Germany. You guys did a great job to get everything back online so quickly.

It isn't until you loose geocaching.com that you have to try and use the other Geocaching sites. That was an interesting experience! :D

Edited by Caching Cat

Jeremy, bless you - your tweets were invaluable to so many. I often sit in Clayjar's IRC channel, #geocache. Cacher-after-cacher passed through the channel, yesterday, hoping for information, answers and reassurance. Thanks to your frequent updates, we were able to pass your information along (and, I hope, reassure!). I know you had several sleepless nights.

And thank you as well for being there on the IRC channel to pass along the news. That was the only place I could think of to go to find out what was going on.

Carolyn

Thanks to ALL that assisted in bringing This great site back so quickly. From Jeremy coming in to Elias coming back from Vacation, to the drivers that delivered the generators... to the electricians that rewired the affected systems so quickly.

The Steaks & Lizard_Sme

P.S. If you are NOW looking to Seriously Co-Locate(like others do), drop me a line, and I have an idea!

Thanks so much for your hard work in getting Groundspeak back online so quickly! I'm so happy! I can look forward to a day of caching instead of a day of housecleaning, Man, that was close!

Seriously....thanks to all of you who did the repairs. Well done!

Popoki Nui.

Does anyone besides me think this is a conspiracy to cover up the fact that Signal was caught playing with illegal fireworks in the server room? :D

I knew something major had happened.When I tried to pull up GC.com yesterday, IE8 crashed twice, and Firefox couldn't do much better. But I had faith in the team there. Thanks for all your hard work on this, and on all the issues in running this site.

When I received the notice that Groundspeak had been involved in a fire, being a firefighter I knew that this wasn't going to be a pretty situation. I also know what is in order for a business to come back online, after a major ordeal, The feelings after hearing the news was as if a very close relative had been injured and was in the hospital. You are sitting in the hospital waiting room, waiting for hours to find out if everything is ok. The Facebook and twitter messages were like those from the nurses in the hosp, everything is stable, we are trying to find out what happened, we are repairing the damage. It might take a day or two.. All good signs, but until Aunt Mea walks out of the hospital, I won't breath a sigh of relief..

So I patiently wait, frequently checking the site, and responding to worried emails from our forum members. While responding to an email regarding GC.com , I go online and behold My favorite geocaching site is up and running. Aunt Mea has walked out of the hospital.. I jump for joy.. Woo hoo.. Thanks to all those behind the scenes who stayed up all night long to get us our favorite place to be back up and running. Yeah I saw the 4:00 am time stamp from Elias.. Many thanks to Jeremy for keeping us updated..

I also agree, it would really be nice to see an error messages to say that there is a problem..

Also know that this is one big family you got here Jeremy, so if something happens like this again, we need an emergency phone tree, for us little guys down here, that even though we can't do much for you, sure do care about what happens...

Again thanks again to everyone involved in getting GC up and running..

Thank you for all of your hard work to get the web site back up. I was getting ready to start a Geocaching Support Group for our locals who were showing serious signs of withdrawl while the site was down. Thankfully, my clinical skills were not needed! :D

BTW - For those who didn't already know, here is the link to follow Jeremy on Twitter.

Edited by Winstonsmom

Thanks from me too. I'd never seen the point of Twitter before last night, but Jeremy's onsite updates gave just the right level of detail of what was going on.

I'm still not signing up for a Twitter account though. :D

Thank you everybody for the long hours of hard work to get us geocaching again.

It certainly reminded us of the addiction to geocaching that most of us have.

Thanks for the updates too.

They were copied from several sources on to the Dutch forums, by geocachers, to keep everybody posted.

And you have already drawn some lessons from all of this. Top!!!!

Edited by Sivota

Another big thanks. I don't work in a mission critical role for IT right now but I have in the past and have a painfully good understanding of what it is like to be on a 24/7 'on call' list.

We all appreciate what you do to help keep this site up and running and your support for Geocaching. Kudos for communication in the face of significant adversity, quick response and your sharp knowledge in your field!

EDIT: I'll add that my wife recently had a flight get cancelled while in Ireland, her total delays due to a certain airline whose name starts with D totaled 3 times the downtime of GC.com. . . now there's a sad thing about the competitive airline industry :unsure:

Edited by andynshe

Another THANK YOU Jeremy and Elias for your great work, and for keeping everyone posted with up-to-the-minute news of what was happening, and what was being done to restore the websites. Never really found any "useful" thing about Twitter until Jeremy started using it to post updates on the situation. I am now one of the 800+ followers!

BTW, my first name is also Elias. And I also work in IT. LOL

For those who don't do the twitter thing, what Facebook group was posting updates on the server issue? I searched Facebook groups for the word geocaching and it says "over 500 group results for geocaching." From this thread it sounds like people were able to read updates as the issue went on, but where on Facebook were these updates posted?

Thanks.

Thanks, Jeremy & Elias for the quick response to the server issue.

The frequent Twitter/Facebook updates were a welcome resource for keeping up to date with everything that was happening.

From the times on the Twitter updates, it was clear that no one got much sleep, and I think all GC users appreciate everything everyone did to get the servers back online quickly.

For those who don't do the twitter thing, what Facebook group was posting updates on the server issue? I searched Facebook groups for the word geocaching and it says "over 500 group results for geocaching." From this thread it sounds like people were able to read updates as the issue went on, but where on Facebook were these updates posted?

Thanks.

I don't know how it worked with you in USA but on this side of the Pond the majority of my Facebook friends are also geocachers. One of them found (or was already following) Jeremy's twitters and posted the link on their facebook status. From there the link spread quickly between geocaching Facebook friends...

MrsB