Come on peeps, you can't use a ziplock bag for a container

Let's take a moment and think about as designed life expectancy of a few of the popular containers.

Ziplock type bags - I know they aren't popular but they are on topic. Designed for a single use. They can handle being opened and closed a few times.

Gladware type containers - Designed to be used a couple of time after being left at the inlaws house. Hey, you aren't gonna waste a Lock-N-Lock on the inlaws.

Lock-N-Locks - designed for a lifetime of kitchen use. Not meant to be outdoors but should and do hold up to a lot of abuse.

Ammo cans - These thing were designed with the rugged use the military would subject them to in mind. They are meant to handle every climate on this planet from the equator to the poles and to last for years. We get 'em at the end of their service life and they still hold up indefinitely. The most common reason for the failure of an ammo can as a cache container is theft.

Most other containers can be placed somewhere in between those listed.

When I hide a cache I think about what is the toughest container I can reasonably put in this location. If the spot is large enough to hold an ammo can and still keep it concealed that is what it gets.

What, no mention of the glass jar?

Let's take a moment and think about as designed life expectancy of a few of the popular containers.

Ziplock type bags - I know they aren't popular but they are on topic. Designed for a single use. They can handle being opened and closed a few times.

Glass containers - meant to last forever, as long as you don't hide 'em between a rock and a hard place.

Gladware type containers - Designed to be used a couple of time after being left at the inlaws house. Hey, you aren't gonna waste a Lock-N-Lock on the inlaws.

Lock-N-Locks - designed for a lifetime of kitchen use. Not meant to be outdoors but should and do hold up to a lot of abuse.

Ammo cans - These thing were designed with the rugged use the military would subject them to in mind. They are meant to handle every climate on this planet from the equator to the poles and to last for years. We get 'em at the end of their service life and they still hold up indefinitely. The most common reason for the failure of an ammo can as a cache container is theft.

Most other containers can be placed somewhere in between those listed.

When I hide a cache I think about what is the toughest container I can reasonably put in this location. If the spot is large enough to hold an ammo can and still keep it concealed that is what it gets.

What, no mention of the glass jar?

Better?

Well at least on the Tupperware/Rubbermaid thing, I stand corrected. I made a pilgrimage to The Original Cache Site this weekend and what did I find?...... A tupperware/rubbermaid like container. This one has flaps on all sides that snapped down.
That sounds like a Lock&Lock:

http://us.locknlock.com/product.asp?cNumber=11

Groundspeak even sells geocaching containers of this style:

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?ProductID=126

High-quality food-storage containers like that can work well. The plastic can turn brittle when exposed to the elements though, and any container can leak when sealed improperly.

The original stash ammo can is gone again??? That darned thing was chained to a big tree with a large cable for crying out loud.

I understand placing a ziplock, I don't agree, but I understand. With my hides, whether bison tube or ammo can, the containers get muggled - a lot. I'm slowly archiving caches because I cannot afford to continually replace them. I mean honestly, if you need a bison tube that bad, give me a call.

Now, I've seen ziplocks duct taped and that makes them pretty rigid... but they still don't last long. Gladeware - played with it and they're no good, previous posters have mentioned they're good at retaining water better than repelling. Even plastic LocknLocks get brittle in the elements, Ammo cans are best, but not every location can hold an ammo can. Plus they can get expensive.

Part of the problem as stated several times already is the finders ability to close the container correctly - and I will add, preferably not by removing the container. Maybe caches should have a minimum IQ rating for finding? I've seen some where someone stepped on tupperware to get it closed.

I just did a DeLorme loop around the eastern half of Oregon with the family and replaced about 10 busted containers or put the ziplock into a container, but didn't fix all of them. Each time I sent a note to the CO and got a very nice thank you in return. Some didn't even know there was an issue.

Leave 'em better than you find 'em.

...and yes, the swag in Oregon sucks, but no worse than anywhere else I've been. personally I've seen more 1000 for a buck erasers in the caches. something happened to the trade equal or up. really, if that were the case I'd have found a ferrari in a cache by now.

I would bet that there is someone out there who is using the GC website to locate "free stuff" and you are their favorite supplier. Ammo cans in Oregon are getting harder to find and you have a thief.

Try placing a cache and make it members only to see if it gets stolen as fast.

One of the problems with a site like GC is that eventually there will be thieves who will realize there is a database of stuff out there that they can steal and sell.

I like the waterproof match holder sealed inside a Zip Loc Snack bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Sandwich bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Gallon bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Storage bag sealed inside the Snap Loc container sealed inside the Tupperware container sealed inside the large ammo box sealed inside a 5 Gallon paint bucket sealed inside a 55 gallon oil drum.

Oh yea, it's a MICRO!

PS: Woo Hoo, my 100th post, it took me only 7 years to reach it!

Edited by Inmountains

I like the waterproof match holder sealed inside a Zip Loc Snack bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Sandwich bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Gallon bag sealed inside the Zip Loc Storage bag sealed inside the Snap Loc container sealed inside the Tupperware container sealed inside the large ammo box sealed inside a 5 Gallon paint bucket sealed inside a 55 gallon oil drum.

Oh yea, it's a MICRO!

I found that one last weekend - the log was wet!

Any more details about the hide? Been in place long? Was it some how protected from the weather? I ask because that type of hide rarely works out in the long run.

It was hidden on 2/5/2006. GCTB7Z It is exposed to the weather. I read through the logs and there is no indication that the log was ever found wet. It is hidden in the horizontal position between some metal and concrete. The duct tape makes it sturdy and waterproof. Duct tape does wonders :D

ZipLock bag for a CG container....lol!

This topic made me chuckle. I was recently out caching in a local park, and was looking for a cache located in a cedar tree (that's another topic).

Instead of finding a container near the base of the tree, I found a ziplock bag with log and swag hanging at eye level, speared by a branch, through the middle of the bag (think shish kabob), with an inch of water floating in the bag.

No reinforced duct tape either. Thinking this was a replacement/temp supplied by previous finder, I emailed the owner. Nope- this is the original container!

Sheesh!

ZipLock bag for a CG container....lol!

This topic made me chuckle. I was recently out caching in a local park, and was looking for a cache located in a cedar tree (that's another topic).

Instead of finding a container near the base of the tree, I found a ziplock bag with log and swag hanging at eye level, speared by a branch, through the middle of the bag (think shish kabob), with an inch of water floating in the bag.

No reinforced duct tape either. Thinking this was a replacement/temp supplied by previous finder, I emailed the owner. Nope- this is the original container!

Sheesh!

that's funny...totally clueless! :D

Whats wrong with tupperware?
At least for a while, nothing -- IF it's actually Tupperware. There's some pretty cheesy stuff being sold out there -- I won't mention the specific brand, but it sounds "hygienic" and owns 3/4 of the "storage container" shelf space in a WalMart -- that probably wouldn't hold up for a single season. The poor quality stuff is generally more rigid, and prone to cracking. I've seen a fair bit of that around. The worst are those REALLY cheap ones designed to take a sandwich to lunch once or twice and be discarded. Can't imagine why anyone even tries those.

You can use a ziploc baggie as a GC if you tape it all up with duct tape.

Ziplock baggies do not make for quality, long term containers for protecting things from the environment. To date, without even one exception, every single one I've found has had a failure within a short time of being hidden. The most common failure point I've found has been the seal. This failed seals I've found included single seals, double seals, freezer rated seals and zipper type seals. So long as there are good containers readily available, why would anyone deliberately choose a crappy one? Ignorance or apathy?

(Note: My anti-ziplock rant only has merit in environments with more than 0% humidity) :D

I've found 2 zippy caches this year. The one was covered in burlap with something to stiffen it and then camo duct tape and folded over like those dry bags you see in the wally world sporting goods section. Seems to be ok but it was a slight bit damp. The second one was a much smaller zippy 2" x 3" with camo tape and magnets. Its location puts it completely out of the elements and it should stay high and dry for a year or 2 maybe a little more. I was thinking about using a breadbag myself. Those wire ties will definately keep all the contents waterproof. You can also use the wire tie to attach it to a tree. I might even fill it full of those gladware sandwich containers. One for the log, one for TB's and geocoins and one for trade items and signature swag. Swizzle

You can use a ziploc baggie as a GC if you tape it all up with duct tape.

Ziplock baggies do not make for quality, long term containers for protecting things from the environment. To date, without even one exception, every single one I've found has had a failure within a short time of being hidden. The most common failure point I've found has been the seal. This failed seals I've found included single seals, double seals, freezer rated seals and zipper type seals. So long as there are good containers readily available, why would anyone deliberately choose a crappy one? Ignorance or apathy?

(Note: My anti-ziplock rant only has merit in environments with more than 0% humidity) :rolleyes:

In the last ziplock thread (the one from a week or so ago), people cited a number of caches that have survived for years using this type of container.

As with every cache and container, the right container must be paired with the right location.

As with every cache and container, the right container must be paired with the right location.

Agreed. That's why I included the humidity percentage caveat. The 0 was an exaggeration, as I don't really know at what average humidity point these things go from simply being a cheapskates container to being one horribly unsuited for the environment. I can only speak personally for those states I have actually cached in. So far, I've determined that they suck in Florida, Georgia & North Carolina. (Yet folks continue to use them... sigh...) At least there's an upside to finding a crappy container; with a few button mashings, I can go find something else, and I'll only be out a few minutes of time.

Agreed. That's why I included the humidity percentage caveat. The 0 was an exaggeration, as I don't really know at what average humidity point these things go from simply being a cheapskates container to being one horribly unsuited for the environment. I can only speak personally for those states I have actually cached in. So far, I've determined that they suck in Florida, Georgia & North Carolina. (Yet folks continue to use them... sigh...) At least there's an upside to finding a crappy container; with a few button mashings, I can go find something else, and I'll only be out a few minutes of time.

I just bought a new pack of 50 geocache containers from the dollar store for a buck. Swizzle

You have touched on the key to happiness. How many issues that are ranted about in these forums would have been resolved if the OP simply followed that bit of advice? Edited by sbell111

I think that's one of the branches on Snoogans' Tree of Angst. :laughing: As you probably recall from my early postings, I used to be actually offended at the mere existence of lame hides. Someone pointed out, "If you ain't having fun playing this game, you're doing something wrong", which was a bit of an epiphany for me. I took a look at my caching life and realized that I was getting all worked up over something that was outside my scope of control. My new outlook is something to the effect of, "Yeah, there are some crappy caches out there, but with a little effort, I can avoid most of them. The ones I do occasionally stumble across, (sneaking thru my PQs), probably won't rouse the 4 Horsemen of The Apocalypse." ;)

Edited by Clan Riffster
people cited a number of caches that have survived for years using this type of container

:laughing: yeah, I think this is where I hafta chime in and note that I recently archived two camo taped ziplock bag caches of my own (Slim Bobs). They'd both been out over 3 years, and both were dry. One was definitely getting ragged, the other is pristine..... and yes, they're in Florida the Humidity State.

[locally, there's been an interesting development - the anti-Slim Bob, the Big Bob - instead of Slim Bob signs into Green Swamp East, we have Big Bob signs into the Hampton Tract - Big Bob is a nice fat ammo can]

Oh, well. The truth is only insulting if one is too thin-skinned or cheap. I'm known for saying what I think. If it's a great cache, I will say so. If the cache sucks, I may also say so. If you're too cheap to buy a good container (which are relatively cheap), I may very well mention it. "Take out food containers make terrible caches!"

There is a fine line between constructive criticism ("This container makes a poor cache") and an insult ("Only idiots use this kind of container").

I've been geocaching for several years now, but only recently actually joined the site (because I finally got a GPSr). For the first several years my friend (who, unlike me, owned a GPSr) would find the coordinates and show up for our hikes with them already loaded on his device and we'd just go.

Now that I've joined the site, I've realized my friend was doing the hardest part of geocaching: slogging through the hundreds of utterly crappy cache-listings for the 1 in 10 that aren't completely naff. Now that I'm on the site and looking up caches for my own to go off an do solo searches, I'm really starting to realize how many people shouldn't be involved in this hobby at all.

I just spent two weeks carefully constructing an awesome camouflaged cache for a well-used chess park which has historically been unable to maintain a cache due to small children. While I was working on it, someone stuck a stupid freaking nano (nanos aren't even caches! you can't put anything in them! they're just pointless saturaters) within 60 feet of my planned site, and the park is too small to put another cache in. So now my totally awesome cache -- that took two weeks to build and cost me close to $70 in materials, and for which I had developed a very clever chess-themed puzzle poem -- will have to go somewhere else, all because some jerk (yeah, you heard me) dropped a breath mint container behind a sign.

And I think part of the problem is the pollyanna attitude you are encouraging here. It's all kumbaya and smiles, when I think the hobby could seriously benefit from more logs that tell it like it is: "Your cache sucks, you suck, stop saturating sites with your crap, find a new hobby, and die in a fire."

Seriously, the cache listings need an option that allows seekers to vote down and call for the removal of caches, to be replaced by people more competent who will do a better job. And there needs to be less of this silly "let's all get along" attitude and more telling people who suck at this hobby just how much they suck. So what if it scares them off or makes them feel bad. They're the people who are ruining the hobby for everyone else with their crapches.

Oh, well. The truth is only insulting if one is too thin-skinned or cheap. I'm known for saying what I think. If it's a great cache, I will say so. If the cache sucks, I may also say so. If you're too cheap to buy a good container (which are relatively cheap), I may very well mention it. "Take out food containers make terrible caches!"

There is a fine line between constructive criticism ("This container makes a poor cache") and an insult ("Only idiots use this kind of container").

I've been geocaching for several years now, but only recently actually joined the site (because I finally got a GPSr). For the first several years my friend (who, unlike me, owned a GPSr) would find the coordinates and show up for our hikes with them already loaded on his device and we'd just go.

Now that I've joined the site, I've realized my friend was doing the hardest part of geocaching: slogging through the hundreds of utterly crappy cache-listings for the 1 in 10 that aren't completely naff. Now that I'm on the site and looking up caches for my own to go off an do solo searches, I'm really starting to realize how many people shouldn't be involved in this hobby at all.

I just spent two weeks carefully constructing an awesome camouflaged cache for a well-used chess park which has historically been unable to maintain a cache due to small children. While I was working on it, someone stuck a stupid freaking nano (nanos aren't even caches! you can't put anything in them! they're just pointless saturaters) within 60 feet of my planned site, and the park is too small to put another cache in. So now my totally awesome cache -- that took two weeks to build and cost me close to $70 in materials, and for which I had developed a very clever chess-themed puzzle poem -- will have to go somewhere else, all because some jerk (yeah, you heard me) dropped a breath mint container behind a sign.

And I think part of the problem is the pollyanna attitude you are encouraging here. It's all kumbaya and smiles, when I think the hobby could seriously benefit from more logs that tell it like it is: "Your cache sucks, you suck, stop saturating sites with your crap, find a new hobby, and die in a fire."

Seriously, the cache listings need an option that allows seekers to vote down and call for the removal of caches, to be replaced by people more competent who will do a better job. And there needs to be less of this silly "let's all get along" attitude and more telling people who suck at this hobby just how much they suck. So what if it scares them off or makes them feel bad. They're the people who are ruining the hobby for everyone else with their crapches.

Welcome! (To borrow from someone else...) "I think you'll fit in fine around here"

Perhaps you might send a kindly worded note (I'd probably skip the word 'jerk') to the micro guy who took your spot and see if he might consider archiving it? to make space for your cool cache?

Have you considered asking the CO to remove the cache? I'm sure with some negotiation you could be convincing. Offer to let them "co-own" it or something.

Wow. You really know how to make a first impression, don't you?

What an elitist attitude you have there.

I hope that you soon become bored with us mere and lowly cachers and find something more fitting with your attitude.

Perhaps you could grow a small moustache and try taking over the world.

Welcome! (To borrow from someone else...) "I think you'll fit in fine around here"

I doubt it. There's a reason I spend a lot of time out in the woods. Not a very personable person.

Perhaps you might send a kindly worded note (I'd probably skip the word 'jerk') to the micro guy who took your spot and see if he might consider archiving it? to make space for your cool cache?

See, now that never even occurred to me. I think I'm going to take some time to make my cache container even better (I think it's too fragile at the moment), and then...ask the guy nicely to remove it. He even might do it.

More on the topic of the thread though, I know of one cache in Seattle that is a reclosable poly bag (the proper name for that class of bags, I know this because I order them for work) and works great. The cache is hidden behind a metal plate held to another metal plate (part of the base of a wooden arch) by very thin magnets. While it's a nano and I generally hate nanos, it's such a neat slick that one has to appreciate it's brilliance. But being hidden behind a metal plate goes a long ways towards protecting it from the elements, and keeps it from getting wadded up.

My suggestion would be that if you must use a poly bag as a cache container, then you should at least invest in 6mm bags. The 2mm bags that one buys for holding one's lunch are easily torn and shredded, and the 4mm freezer bags are only nominally better, but the 6mm ones are pretty durable (for a plastic bag). It still should probably be reinforced with a layer of duct tape.

But nobody should be using a poly bag unless it's in service of an awesome slick like the one I described. If you can fit a bison tube in the same spot, then do that. And if you can fit a real container, something that can actually hold a cache of goodies, then you should use that.

I hope that you soon become bored with us mere and lowly cachers and find something more fitting with your attitude.

Translation: "You don't think there is much to be gained from encouraging the incompetent, therefore you are Hitler."

:laughing:

Translation: "You don't think there is much to be gained from encouraging the incompetent, therefore you are Hitler."

:laughing:

Incorrect.

The correct translation would be. "You think you are better than everyone else and everyone who doesn't meet your expectations might as well die at your command"

They're the people who are ruining the hobby for everyone else with their crapches.

On the contrary, it is snobbish elitist attitudes like yours that make newbies cringe at the thought of being looked down upon for not playing a game properly.

People who get upset that someone beat them to "their" spot and placed a cache there first are ruining the hobby for everyone new who wants to be part of a community, and instead sees attitudes like yours as representative of what to expect.

Shame on you.

Select a new spot. With all the work you put into your cache, it is inevitable that if you are as great a cache hider as you say you are, your cache will be enjoyed. Too bad such a fantastic sounding cache has to be sullied by the attitude of its owner.

Edited by Raenne

Incorrect.

The correct translation would be. "You think you are better than everyone else and everyone who doesn't meet your expectations might as well die at your command"

Yeah, okay. You already compared me to Hitler. Because thinking lame caches are lame is EXACTLY like killing six million Jews. Totally the same thing.

You lose forever. Sorry. I didn't make up the rules, Mike Godwin did.

On the contrary, it is snobbish elitist attitudes like yours that make newbies cringe at the thought of being looked down upon for not playing a game properly.

Yes, that is [/i]exactly how they should feel. This is not the Special Olympics. You do not get a prize just for showing up. If you can't play properly, then you should not play. Because bad play leads to wasting my time. You know what your attitude nets? It results in a huge explosion of clueless half-wits cluttering up the landscape with too many lame caches, saturating neighborhoods and trails with finds that aren't worth finding and waste the potential of good sites, which makes the whole game ACTUALLY BECOME lame.

Without some Simon Cowell to balance out people like you's Paula Abdul routine, you know what we end up? A world full of incompetant scerew-ups in desperate need of more practice who think they are God's gift to the world. Some people don't need more self-esteeming boosting, they need a frikkin' reality check.

People who get upset that someone beat them to "their" spot and placed a cache there first are ruining the hobby for everyone new who wants to be part of a community, and instead sees attitudes like yours as representative of what to expect.

Tough! When did it become my job to coddle people who want to "belong to a community?" I have zero interest in "belonging to a community," and you're not going to guilt trip me into pretending I enjoy having to put up with people who can't be bothered to play the game with finesse and style. The point of the game is not to join hands in harmony and understanding.

Too bad such a fantastic sounding cache has to be sullied by the attitude of its owner.

God, this site needs a "you're making me hurl" emoticon. Because the person here with an attitude problem is you. Where the heck do you get off making a passive-aggressive, snide little personal attack like this while preaching the gospel of Everybody Play Nice? Take your hypocritical bs somewhere else sister.

This is not the Special Olympics. You do not get a prize just for showing up.

You invalidate any argument you may have (and I see your point in saturation, and agree with you to a point.) with comments like this. You don't get any prizes in this game. Your prize is what you get out of it, the journey, the places you see, the logs you read, and the trackables you may move.

Without some Simon Cowell to balance out people like you's Paula Abdul routine, you know what we end up? A world full of incompetant scerew-ups...

Hyperbole much? You cannot possibly equate the problems this world has with nano caches in public parks.

I have zero interest in "belonging to a community

Then why are you here? If all you want to do is hide and find caches that make you happy and fulfill your vision of this game, then do so. But do not attempt to justify your negativity with some pessimistic nonsense about how horrible it is that people on this forum attempt to improve the geocaching by being helpful and welcoming to newbies who NEED TO LEARN. Don't participate in the forums, then. I'm not forcing you to hold my hand.

Take your hypocritical bs somewhere else sister.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Go look up the word hypocritical, then come back here and realize that the hypocrite here is you. You post that you want to improve the game, and yet you whine about nano caches sucking. How about you TEACH people? E-mail the cache hider and offer help? Try to inspire others with your own creativity. You obviously are passionate about this hobby, but have a poor way of showing it.

And, for the record, please don't equate my comments to you with those comparing you to Hitler. Those were out of line in my opinion, and not necessary.

Go look up the word hypocritical, then come back here and realize that the hypocrite here is you. You post that you want to improve the game, and yet you whine about nano caches sucking. How about you TEACH people? E-mail the cache hider and offer help? Try to inspire others with your own creativity. You obviously are passionate about this hobby, but have a poor way of showing it.

And, for the record, please don't equate my comments to you with those comparing you to Hitler. Those were out of line in my opinion, and not necessary.

I think that person is someone who just came here for a fight. Been a member for a couple of days and has a total of 5 urban finds.

Yes, I realize the person says they have been "unofficially" caching for a couple of years. Does that mean the poster is a sock puppet or that they are self appointed Trache disposal technicians, I don't know.

The bottom line is that person came in spewing hatred of anyone not as good as they are. It was very disrespectful.

It means exactly what I think it means. It means a person who proclaims a value but whose actions betray that value. In this case you are asserting the value of being open and welcoming to new people, while making snide personal attacks and criticizing my "attitude"...even though I'm a new person.

Congratulations Raenne, you've just convinced me to not bother with the forums. Pat yourself on the back, your policy of inclusion and accepting everyone has just driven someone off. I hope that was exactly what you meant to accomplish by attacking me, because otherwise you're kind of an idiot.

Congratulations Raenne, you've just convinced me to not bother with the forums. Pat yourself on the back, your policy of inclusion and accepting everyone has just driven someone off. I hope that was exactly what you meant to accomplish by attacking me, because otherwise you're kind of an idiot.

You know, this really is kind of sad. You call my words personal attacks, yet you referenced Special Olympics in a poor tone, advocated not "coddling" stupid people, various versions of "dumb", "lame", and "time-wasting". You called me an idiot. I actually gave you credit for your cache hides, while disagreeing with you.

If you leave this forum, then perhaps it is for the best. But don't pretend I drove you away from a place you obviously did not want to be in in the first place.

May your creativity and zest for clever and memorable hides be what you are remembered for, not your unfortunate attitude.

Good luck to you.

As much as you don't want to hear it.

Edited by Raenne

Wow, forum rage at its best! Some of the remarks made by other posters had me laughing my head off!

OK, back to the topic.....I think that some of the best cache containers are PVC plumbing pipes, you can get a myriad of different sized tubes and fittings and screw on lids, and if you seal them properly, they are almost 100% waterproof. When I use the larger ones I also use a small clip and lock container for the log, this doubles your chances of keeping the log dry.

I have an underwater cache that uses a stainless steel thermos flask, and the log is in a 35mm film canister, sad to say it leaks a little, but all the trades are waterproof.

I always carry some ziplock bags to replace any torn ones I come across, and I would recommend that you never keep a pen or pencil in one.

Happy caching...

May your creativity and zest for clever and memorable hides be what you are remembered for, not your unfortunate attitude.

+10 for Raenne. My reply to such a diatribe would've probably earned me yet another (unwanted yet deserved) forum vacation. :laughing:

I think that some of the best cache containers are PVC plumbing pipes

To date I've found roughly 36 PVC pipe caches. 35 of them had moisture issues. I think Briansnat's numbers are very similar.

I think South Park's Mr Mackey said it best:

"Don't use PVC, Um-Kay? 'Cuz PVC is bad, Um-Kay?" :anicute:

Any Tupperware(brand) container should not leak. The best part is that if it does, you can have it replaced free of charge. I have never seen real Tupperware brand cache container.

I've found quite the opposite. Tupperware leaks badly after about a year in the wild. I've found numerous, soaked caches in Tupperware (I mean the brand name stuff, capital T). I'm not sure why, because the Tupperware lids seem to seal tightly. I my guess is warpage.

It's also on the expensive side if it's true Tupperware.

I dont think there is any real container that holds up perfectly to the elements. I have seen damp contents in ammo cans and lock and locks. I have used both for my caches and ultimately they degrade over time and most of my caches are 4+ years old

Containers wrapped in garbage bags is a waste of a garbage bag.

Good maintenance is the key, some are better than others at it

It means exactly what I think it means. It means a person who proclaims a value but whose actions betray that value. In this case you are asserting the value of being open and welcoming to new people, while making snide personal attacks and criticizing my "attitude"...even though I'm a new person.

Darn. I was looking forward to the thread where you got yourself banned. It was going to be a classic.

I love internet forums. You say something critical of the mediocre and suddenly the thread is full of self-righteous jagoffs falling all over themselves to accuse you of being Hitler, to jump on their high horse and let the world know how much "better" you are as a person, and to jump on the bandwagon of throwing feces.

sbell111, what is the purpose of your comment? to let everyone know that you are a dramahound, hoping to see a fight? Do you think that comment makes you witty? Clever? Here's the reality: You just posted "Baaaaaaaaa! I'm a sheeple!"

Or Clan Riftster, playing Internet Tough Guy. Who are you impressing? No one with half a brain, that's who. Your entire comment amounts to "I wanna participate in this circle jerk!" Patting each other on the back for being a bunch of idiotic jerkoffs. Seriously, did high school ever end for you dorks?

Monkey mob politics rule wherever humans come together to form "communities." There's always got to be the jerkoffs whose real purpose in joining the community is to play social games, to engage in pointless one-upsmanship. Nothing but mindless chimps and simps.

The primary reason I enjoy geocaching as a game is I never actually have to meet any of you poo-flinging primates in person. If I did, it would surely ruin the game for me.

[Edited by moderator for potty language. Leaving the rest of the post intact does not imply endorsement of the personal attacks.]

Edited by Keystone

Can someone please tell me why this man has not been banned yet? I have a lovely private message from him, too.

And, to keep this on topic, I think that PVC pipes would be fantastic containers, except for the fact that you have to rely on someone closing it right!

And, to keep this on topic, I think that PVC pipes would be fantastic containers, except for the fact that you have to rely on someone closing it right!

Came across a PVC pipe container... it was closed too tight! Had carefully open it with a wrench bought from a near hardware store.

I love internet forums. You say something critical of the mediocre and suddenly the thread is full of self-righteous jagoffs falling all over themselves to accuse you of being Hitler, to jump on their high horse and let the world know how much "better" you are as a person, and to jump on the bandwagon of throwing feces.

sbell111, what is the purpose of your comment? to let everyone know that you are a dramahound, hoping to see a fight? Do you think that comment makes you witty? Clever? Here's the reality: You just posted "Baaaaaaaaa! I'm a sheeple!"

1) My post was really clear.

2) I thought it was kinda funny. Also, I truly believe that your meltdown will be fun to read for years to come.

3) Sheeple? Now who's trying too hard to be witty? Did you just step out of a John Hughes film?

Monkey mob politics rule wherever humans come together to form "communities." There's always got to be the jerkoffs whose real purpose in joining the community is to play social games, to engage in pointless one-upsmanship. Nothing but mindless chimps and simps.

The primary reason I enjoy geocaching as a game is I never actually have to meet any of you poo-flinging primates in person. If I did, it would surely ruin the game for me.

I have no doubt that you avoid human interaction at all cost. Edited by Keystone

Came across a PVC pipe container... it was closed too tight! Had carefully open it with a wrench bought from a near hardware store.

Yeah, PVC pipe sounds like a good idea, but it isn't.