Any way to replace internal battery on Garmin 12C?

A few years ago I remember seeing a site discussing the replacement of the internal battery in the 12 Series Garmin units. It caught my attention because I had a 12XL. Didn't look complicated and even specified the type of battery required.

One thing you never wanted to let happen with the 12 Series was to let the AA batteries run down and stay in the unit for any extended length of time, always needed to keep freash batteries in them when being stored to prevent internal battery from running down. I had a few friends that let this happen and they were able to get the internal battery recharged by plugging unit into a 12V plug with unit off for 24 hours. New AA batteries in unit didn't solve the problem even after several days.

I'll see if I can dig up where it was, but may take me a couple of days, might try googling, too.

I have a Garmin 12c handheld that needs the internal battery replaced. Garmin tells me it can't be done. Has anyone here done it? Other than that little issue my 10+ yr old 12c looks and works like new.

Thanks!

If something contains an internal battery and can be taken apart then the battery is replacable. I have disassembled many items that were supposedly not user servicable to replace parts. As long as it's not welded or riveted together, it an be done.

Garmin would tell you that it can't be done but, logically thinking, don't they want you to buy a new unit.