Nervous to put your hand in there?

I was wondering if anyone has some interesting stories about finding something they wish they hadn't.

Or getting bit when you put your arm in something hollow to find that hidden cache.

Read the last five logs on Andrew's Farm

The thing is, I knew that there could be a snake in there, and I tapped, and poked, with my Wal*Mart hiking stick to see if I would hear a rattle. Since I didn't, I felt relatively, safe. Even though, I watch all of the caches in this park, and quite a few of them have "rattlesnake" in their logs. I was going to reach for the cache when it all came together in my mind and I decided to try to get the cache out of it's hole by getting it from the front, while the natural thing to do would have been to simply stick my hand in there and grab it.

If I had, it might have been a long recovery.

I have since learned to take that screw on cap off the stick so that I can really clear out an area, and then put it back on so I can drag out a cache.

Any herpetologist out there? The container was a standard 4" Lock n' Lock. Why would the snake wrap itself around it in two different locations, several days apart. What would make the container attract the snake?

(I tried to post this on Thursday night, about two minutes after GC lost the power to their servers)

Edited by Don_J

I usually carry a mirror, a small LED flashlight to look into hollow things and Broomstick that Doubles as a walking stick a log Poker, a rock flipper...a survival tool and to raise it above my head as my Victory Salute Staff.

Never been bitten....but once stung by bees.

I was looking for a cache a couple years ago. I reached in a small hole at the base of wooden pole, and came up with a handful of baby rats. :D

I always use gloves when poking into or around holes and hiding places. Sure was glad I had them on then. :anitongue:

I used to carry leather glove.

While the heavy leather gloves would provide the most protection, I have found they are the most inconvenient to use. I find if I use a comfortable pair of work gloves, I am more likely to bring them along and use them. The gloves I like best are the ones that are made of some kind of fabric, and coated with a thin flexible coating of rubber. ( I use Atlas palm coated gloves, but there are other brands that are similar.)

It didn't happen to me but this happened to my caching partner, Papafuz. He was checking out a hollow log for a cache and poked around with his stick and then reached in. Well, not only one, but two copperheads slithered by. He actually touched one of them but thank goodness, he wasn't bitten. They were probably sleeping when he initially poked around! WHEW! :D

I stuck my hand under a cardboard recycling dumpster in Los Angeles a couple months ago, w/o a light. Didn't feel anything, but then I used my phone as light and there were literally HUNDREDS of Cockroaches! FREAKED ME OUT!

I carry a "walking" stick for knocking down spiderwebs on trails and poking around unsavory places! I also always have a flashlight w/ me, even during the day.

I was wondering if anyone has some interesting stories about finding something they wish they hadn't.

Or getting bit when you put your arm in something hollow to find that hidden cache.

Copperhead bite 24 hours later:

8e0960a3-2e6f-49d5-ab23-48a2ff95f7dd.jpg

48 hours later:

361464b3-4114-45db-8af9-eb717b409888.jpg

72 hours later, and after having it lanced at the hand surgeon's office to alleviate the swelling:

2c28ed07-1647-4b18-b9f4-30985cbf2641.jpg

The swelling/bruising didn't completely subside for about 6 weeks. I logged a DNF, but went back to find it 3 weeks later. I was looking 45' away from the cache when I got bit too. :D

One year later I just have some scarring at the tip and a slight loss of sensation in the scarred area.

Now you know why your gramma says "once bitten, twice shy."

Edited by wimseyguy

<snip>

The swelling/bruising didn't completely subside for about 6 weeks. I logged a DNF, but went back to find it 3 weeks later. I was looking 45' away from the cache when I got bit too. ;)

One year later I just have some scarring at the tip and a slight loss of sensation in the scarred area.

Now you know why your gramma says "once bitten, twice shy."

Wimseyguy... OUCH!!!! :drama:

I cacher went to find one of my new caches last weekend and encountered a few copperheads. Very scary! They struck at him but he was lucky he didn't get bit.

That same day I was looking for a cache and inserted my middle finger between a sign and it's post. There was a wasps nest in there that I couldn't see and 3 or 4 of the @$!$%@ came out after me. Luckily I didn't get stung or my finger would have looked like Wimseyguy's but not as black & blue. I'm sure my mad dash back across the road was a funny site to see.

Previous and pertinent threads:

Anyone with me in getting the verb "markwell" changed to "kit fox"? ;)

:P It is really sad knowing that i've frequented the forum sooooo looooong that I remember many previous threads about the same subjects.

I like "kit foxed." :drama:

I recall seeing a 4 ft. high hollow tree stump that looked like a great place to hide a cache. I was about to place the ammo box inside and was greeted by a very startled family of raccoons looking up at me.

You have to be careful with raccoons. They look cute but they can be really nasty if they need to be.

As members of the bear family, they know how to attack.

OK, shameless bump. I put way too much work into that KF list to let this go without a comment. :)

I think you are spending waaay too much time in the forums and you need to seek help. KF is perfectly capable of promoting his lists without your assistance. You may want to stick with verbalizing cachers. Maybe you could work on something to describe when someone has "Kit Foxed", meaning they found a way to place a full sized cache in an amazing spot that is rarely visited yet can be easily driven or walked to, the container will last forever and will never be muggled. <_< Tongue planted firmly in cheek so no need to break out the flame throwers.

OK, shameless bump. I put way too much work into that KF list to let this go without a comment. :)

I think you are spending waaay too much time in the forums and you need to seek help. KF is perfectly capable of promoting his lists without your assistance. You may want to stick with verbalizing cachers . Maybe you could work on something to describe when someone has "Kit Foxed", meaning they found a way to place a full sized cache in an amazing spot that is rarely visited yet can be easily driven or walked to, the container will last forever and will never be muggled. :yikes: Tongue planted firmly in cheek so no need to break out the flame throwers.

But... but... but.... that's what I thought I was doing! <_<

(I understand, Wrastro. You understandably would like to be the only verbed person here, but I'm afraid that Markwell already had that taken)

I think you are spending waaay too much time in the forums and you need to seek help. KF is perfectly capable of promoting his lists without your assistance. You may want to stick with verbalizing cachers . Maybe you could work on something to describe when someone has "Kit Foxed", meaning they found a way to place a full sized cache in an amazing spot that is rarely visited yet can be easily driven or walked to, the container will last forever and will never be muggled. :yikes: Tongue planted firmly in cheek so no need to break out the flame throwers.

(I understand, Wrastro. You understandably would like to be the only verbed person here, but I'm afraid that Markwell already had that taken)

Oh, I have no pretentions about being the only verbed cacher. I would be happy to have lots of company and would not begrudge any other cacher being verbed. I consider it an honor and would like to be able to share the experience with other qualified cachers. As I am a verbed cacher due to your largesse I must say that Markwell can no longer claim the exclusivity that you attempt to infer. Indeed, I believe you may have stumbled upon an economic opportunity to verbalize cachers and even non-cachers.

Imagine the pitch (like the star registration ads). Immortalize yourself by being verbalized. For only $39.95 you too can join the illustrious and ever growing group of cachers and others who have been verbalized. Your achievement will be immortalized in a "parchment" scroll delivered to you via email at great expense as a PDF. Upon receipt of your unique and custom scroll you can have it framed for permanent and proud display in your home or office. Annual maintenance fees of only $9.95 will ensure that you remain verbalized in perpetuity. PayPal accepted.

In fact, the more that I think about this concept, the more that I think it may actually be viable. Joint venture? Partnership? We could call it Verbalife or Verbalessence or even "Hanging Chads" (to capitalize on the custom framing part). Let's see...$39.95 per verbed member (easily 100,000) plus $9.95 per year maintenance. I am seeing a $40 million initial revenue opportunity plus $1 million in recurring revenue. We could probably come up with a website if we need to.

Oh, I have no pretentions about being the only verbed cacher. I would be happy to have lots of company and would not begrudge any other cacher being verbed. I consider it an honor and would like to be able to share the experience with other qualified cachers. As I am a verbed cacher due to your largesse I must say that Markwell can no longer claim the exclusivity that you attempt to infer. Indeed, I believe you may have stumbled upon an economic opportunity to verbalize cachers and even non-cachers.

Imagine the pitch (like the star registration ads). Immortalize yourself by being verbalized. For only $39.95 you too can join the illustrious and ever growing group of cachers and others who have been verbalized. Your achievement will be immortalized in a "parchment" scroll delivered to you via email at great expense as a PDF. Upon receipt of your unique and custom scroll you can have it framed for permanent and proud display in your home or office. Annual maintenance fees of only $9.95 will ensure that you remain verbalized in perpetuity. PayPal accepted.

In fact, the more that I think about this concept, the more that I think it may actually be viable. Joint venture? Partnership? We could call it Verbalife or Verbalessence or even "Hanging Chads" (to capitalize on the custom framing part). Let's see...$39.95 per verbed member (easily 100,000) plus $9.95 per year maintenance. I am seeing a $40 million initial revenue opportunity plus $1 million in recurring revenue. We could probably come up with a website if we need to.

I can offer up webhosting and design services for a small fee, say....10%.

I don't know why, but "verbed member" just sounds... unclean.

Anyway, back on topic, once I was going to put my hand in a hole in a tree stump when I saw something slither away. I lost all interest and logged a DNF after that :)

Why not catch the snake and make it a freind?

My fear is limited to spiders. Spiders in holes tend to be the most venimous/poisonous. I once almost put my hand into a funnel web. It wasn't even caching but had built a web in my headlight.

spider_animated5.gif

I think you are spending waaay too much time in the forums and you need to seek help. KF is perfectly capable of promoting his lists without your assistance. You may want to stick with verbalizing cachers . Maybe you could work on something to describe when someone has "Kit Foxed", meaning they found a way to place a full sized cache in an amazing spot that is rarely visited yet can be easily driven or walked to, the container will last forever and will never be muggled. :lol: Tongue planted firmly in cheek so no need to break out the flame throwers.

But... but... but.... that's what I thought I was doing! :yikes:

Hey, stay out of my revenue opportunities. <_< I can do all of that stuff as well. I was truly trying to offer up a revenue stream to the Chad friend until I started thinking about it. Then it started to become clear to me that I might be able to make enough money from this concept to pay for my annual GS fees. Bonus!

<_<

Hey, stay out of my revenue opportunities. :yikes: I can do all of that stuff as well. I was truly trying to offer up a revenue stream to the Chad friend until I started thinking about it. Then it started to become clear to me that I might be able to make enough money from this concept to pay for my annual GS fees. Bonus!

As long as you haven't patented the idea yet.....

:)

<_<

Hey, stay out of my revenue opportunities. :yikes: I can do all of that stuff as well. I was truly trying to offer up a revenue stream to the Chad friend until I started thinking about it. Then it started to become clear to me that I might be able to make enough money from this concept to pay for my annual GS fees. Bonus!

It is in process. Go find a 5/5 cache in Antarctica. It is a great time of the year to be there. :lol: You might want to send me your CC info so i can make sure your membership doesn't expire while you are off on your adventure.

<_<

It is in process. Go find a 5/5 cache in Antarctica. It is a great time of the year to be there. :lol: You might want to send me your CC info so i can make sure your membership doesn't expire while you are off on your adventure.

Hold on a sec, I have to run over to Godaddy to register Verbalessence.com/net/US/name/etc

Then I'm off to Antarctica.

BTW, one of the top 100 things I would do if I won the lotto is to find or hide a GC in Antarctica

Because I'm not sure it's a snake :) I thought I saw something slimy, but it could be my imagination in overdrive. In fact, pretty likely, since I don't know anything local here that's slimy and moves that fast.

Just think. You might have missed out on the discovery of a lifetime. It might have been a previously unknown life form that could cure cancer and hereditary baldness.

Mental note: Chrysalides is afraid of things slimy and slithery.

:yikes:

Hey, stay out of my revenue opportunities. :lol: I can do all of that stuff as well. I was truly trying to offer up a revenue stream to the Chad friend until I started thinking about it. Then it started to become clear to me that I might be able to make enough money from this concept to pay for my annual GS fees. Bonus!

It is in process. Go find a 5/5 cache in Antarctica. It is a great time of the year to be there. :huh: You might want to send me your CC info so i can make sure your membership doesn't expire while you are off on your adventure.

Hold on a sec, I have to run over to Godaddy to register Verbalessence.com/net/US/name/etc

Then I'm off to Antarctica.

BTW, one of the top 100 things I would do if I won the lotto is to find or hide a GC in Antarctica

I hear they are mostly over rated and are really LPC hides at the Meadowlands with false coords. Feel free to head south. I think we need to make sure Chad's pal is in on the revenue stream just to be fair. We can always "remove" him from the project if he doesn't cooperate. <_< And you should be well advised to cooperate as well. Just sayin. My administration is completely transparent. Help me and I will help you.

Edited by WRASTRO

Because I'm not sure it's a snake :) I thought I saw something slimy, but it could be my imagination in overdrive. In fact, pretty likely, since I don't know anything local here that's slimy and moves that fast.

Just think. You might have missed out on the discovery of a lifetime. It might have been a previously unknown life form that could cure cancer and hereditary baldness.

I was thinking used car salesman...

Oh well, you're afraid of spiders.

I love poking at arachnaphobes! *wanders off to find lots of spider pictures*

(Amusingly, I'm arachnophobic too, just not as bad as most.)

Oh well, you're afraid of spiders.

I love poking at arachnaphobes! *wanders off to find lots of spider pictures*

(Amusingly, I'm arachnophobic too, just not as bad as most.)

To be forthright, I am not afraid of spiders, per se. I am afraid of spiders I encounter without advance notice or the ones who attack.

I can watch a spider spin its web or walk across the ceiling but I can't sleep if I know there is a live spider in my bedroom.

To be fair though, I was bitten on my lower eyelid by a hobo spider a few years ago. Lucky for me it was a dry bite or it would have permanantly messed with my good looks. As it was, my eyelid was swollen for weeks.

Oh yeah, and to make you feel secure, they say you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider and on average each person will swallow 14 spiders in their lifetime. (mostly when asleep)

Oh yeah, and to make you feel secure, they say you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider and on average each person will swallow 14 spiders in their lifetime. (mostly when asleep)

While I can believe it might be generally true you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider, the second part of your statement is not true.

According to Snopes the story about swallowing spiders in your sleep was made up to show what kind of things people will believe when they read them on the Internet.

Not that you couldn't swallow them I suppose, just that it is not something that happens all the time to everyone.

While I can believe it might be generally true you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider, the second part of your statement is not true.

According to Snopes the story about swallowing spiders in your sleep was made up to show what kind of things people will believe when they read them on the Internet.

Not that you couldn't swallow them I suppose, just that it is not something that happens all the time to everyone.

~LOL~

I actually heard it long before there was an internet.

The article you are referring to on snopes is this one http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp where it was stated that the average person swallowed 8 per year.

No, I don't know for sure that I swallowed a spider but I know I ended up with one in my mouth that I spit out. I also know I swallowed half of a Junebug, the other half I managed to spit out (I think).

The reality is that there are far more bugs in the average persons diet than they think. There are food industry regulations that allow for a certain percentage of bugs and bug parts in food. I'm sure spiders are included in the bug classification as far as the food codes go.

The funny thing is I would rather have a spider accidently fried up in my food than have one crawling on me without knowing.

It IS why I don't randomly stick my hand in holes. (added to keep on topic :) )

I recall seeing a 4 ft. high hollow tree stump that looked like a great place to hide a cache. I was about to place the ammo box inside and was greeted by a very startled family of raccoons looking up at me.

You have to be careful with raccoons. They look cute but they can be really nasty if they need to be.

As members of the bear family, they know how to attack.

Which is why I backed away quickly.

You have to be careful with raccoons... As members of the bear family...

Raccoons are members of family Procyonidae which includes coatis, kinkajous, olingos, ringtails and cacomistles, but not bears. Procyonids walk on the soles of their feet like bears, but are not in the same family as bears. Bears belong to family Ursidae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procyonidae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear

Edited by Castle Mischief

The reality is that there are far more bugs in the average persons diet than they think. There are food industry regulations that allow for a certain percentage of bugs and bug parts in food.

Fun Fact: A deep crimson dye is extracted from the female cochineal insects. This dye is commonly used for coloring fabrics, in cosmetics, and as a food coloring. I've seen it listed as an ingredient in ruby red grapefruit juice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

Edited by Castle Mischief

The reality is that there are far more bugs in the average persons diet than they think. There are food industry regulations that allow for a certain percentage of bugs and bug parts in food.

Might make people in some western cultures squeamish, but it's a perfectly healthy source of nutrient. In a survival situation it could be your only choice.

Raccoons are members of family Procyonidae which includes coatis, kinkajous, olingos, ringtails and cacomistles, but not bears. Procyonids walk on the soles of their feet like bears, but are not in the same family as bears. Bears belong to family Ursidae.

I stand corrected. Should have said they are distantly related to bears.

"Although it possesses a fierce and aggressive reputation, the bear is more often a peaceful and solitary creature. The largest of the carnivores (flesh-eating land animals) and the least carnivorous, the bear is closely related to the dog and the raccoon. It is the most recently evolved of the carnivores. "

http://www.sportsmanschoice.com/A%20Note%2...ading/bears.htm

I stand corrected. Should have said they are distantly related to bears.

"Although it possesses a fierce and aggressive reputation, the bear is more often a peaceful and solitary creature. The largest of the carnivores (flesh-eating land animals) and the least carnivorous, the bear is closely related to the dog and the raccoon. It is the most recently evolved of the carnivores. "

http://www.sportsmanschoice.com/A%20Note%2...ading/bears.htm

To put a fine point on it, dogs, racoons, bears, skunks, weasels all belong to the Caniformia suborder within the order Carnivora. That is to say they belong to the more "dog-like" sub-order of carnivores. Some scientists also include seals, sea lions and walruses or at the very least closely associate them.

Back on topic...

I don't ever put my hand in a place that I don't first poke with my hiking pole or a stick.