A little extra nav I'd like to see

nericksx

I'm a newbie, but I'm already noticing my usage habits for gc.com and I realized that I keep wishing for a little extra nav. When I log in I usually want to either go to my list of pocket queries or my bookmarks, because I either want to log a find (that I already scoped out via queries or bookmarks) or I want to grab a few more caches to find off of those lists. I don't want to have to click "My Profile" (and wait for that info to load from the database) and then click "Build Pocket Queries" or "Manage Bookmarks." Particularly since I don't want to Build or Manage anything - I just want to access the lists. I'd like a global profile nav that shows on every page, similar to the one on the home page. I did a little mockup:

screenshot1.gif

I'm a web developer and usability engineer, so let me know if anyone needs more clarification.

Thanks!

I'm a newbie, but I'm already noticing my usage habits for gc.com and I realized that I keep wishing for a little extra nav. When I log in I usually want to either go to my list of pocket queries or my bookmarks, because I either want to log a find (that I already scoped out via queries or bookmarks) or I want to grab a few more caches to find off of those lists. I don't want to have to click "My Profile" (and wait for that info to load from the database) and then click "Build Pocket Queries" or "Manage Bookmarks." Particularly since I don't want to Build or Manage anything - I just want to access the lists. I'd like a global profile nav that shows on every page, similar to the one on the home page. I did a little mockup:

I'm a web developer and usability engineer, so let me know if anyone needs more clarification.

Thanks!

Or,,,

You could use the browser toolbar.. :D

toolbar-bookmarks003.jpg

Or,,,

toolbar-bookmarks003.jpg

Yeah, but my toolbar is already pretty packed and it's bad design if I have to have that many bookmarks for ONE website. That's basically creating a faux global nav for the site, but one that is ALWAYS taking up space on the toolbar. That's not cool.

Or,,,

toolbar-bookmarks003.jpg

Yeah, but my toolbar is already pretty packed and it's bad design if I have to have that many bookmarks for ONE website. That's basically creating a faux global nav for the site, but one that is ALWAYS taking up space on the toolbar. That's not cool.

Yeah,,,, I wasn't making light of your request... Just offering an alternative is all.

I can understand a crowded toolbar.. Only reason mine is not full is because I just switched laptops.. :anitongue:

I would love to have the pocket query link where you put it. One of the most frustrating things I experienced when becoming a premium member is that I had to search for all the new toys (which I'm still sure I haven't seen them all). I had to ask how to get to the pocket queries page. That is the #1 reason I became a PM and the link was hidden halfway down on my profile page? I think it should be upfront.

I also like the idea of a customizable menu but know that the programming for that would take a bit of work. I could live without it. Adding the PQ to that part of the front page would be 2 lines of code, at best.

As for the toolbar thing. One of the first things I do when I'm repairing a slow computer is to remove the toolbars. Toolbars slow systems down and I will never, ever install one on my machine. They are also a gateway for nefarious internet spam machines.

I would love to have the pocket query link where you put it. One of the most frustrating things I experienced when becoming a premium member is that I had to search for all the new toys (which I'm still sure I haven't seen them all). I had to ask how to get to the pocket queries page. That is the #1 reason I became a PM and the link was hidden halfway down on my profile page? I think it should be upfront.

I had the same thought!!! "If this is so cool that I'm payin' $ for it, why is is buried halfway down the page?" I want my premium features on top and blinking in hot pink, baby! Ok, not blinking in hot pink. But up top and maybe bold would be nice.

As for the toolbar thing. One of the first things I do when I'm repairing a slow computer is to remove the toolbars. Toolbars slow systems down and I will never, ever install one on my machine. They are also a gateway for nefarious internet spam machines.

First, I agree that the organization is less than ideal. It's only through constant use that I've memorized where are the things I need. It can definitely be organized nicer.

As for toolbar, I think wkmccall is referring to the built-in Firefox bookmark toolbar, which is not an add-on, and not one of those horrible 3rd party toolbars that I can't stand as well. I use that to get to what I need on gc.com.

Edited by Chrysalides

I had the same thought!!! "If this is so cool that I'm payin' $ for it, why is is buried halfway down the page?" I want my premium features on top and blinking in hot pink, baby! Ok, not blinking in hot pink. But up top and maybe bold would be nice.

Brought up here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3931949

I just don't a need for putting premium member feature links on the main page as the OP suggested.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Brought up here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3931949

I just don't a need for putting premium member feature links on the main page as the OP suggested.

Well that is just wicked slick. Did you develop that? I like it.

It's a simple page, just copies of the forms from various gc.com web pages. In fact, this post explains how to save it locally.

Hopefully the long-awaiting site rewrite will merge "normal" and PQ searching. There's no reason except historical for them to be in separate sandboxes. They should have the same interface, except that PMs have certain capabilities enabled that non-PMs don't. (In fact this would be good advertising to get more PMs.)

Adding the PQ link to the home page isn't quite as simple as a line of HTML, since the link would have to appear only for PMs.

Edward