Rock Caches

Hi all!

If you buy one of the rock cache containers offered at the Groundspeak website, do you say on the cache description that it is a camouflage cache? Or do you make them search... I just see it very hard for people to try and find it because I dont see how many people check rocks..So, anyways, should you say this is a rock one? or let them find it? Any advice would be nice... Thanks!

First to Respond...wanted to do that for a long time. (I won't do it again...I promise.)

I think I would tie it in with the difficulty level. If I didn't mention anything about a rock I would up the difficulty on the cache and lower the difficulty level if I mentioned something about a rock in the cache description or the hint. So I guess you need to determine how difficult you want the cache to be.

EDIT: grammar and speling.

Edited by Nalarangka

Hi all!

If you buy one of the rock cache containers offered at the Groundspeak website, do you say on the cache description that it is a camouflage cache? Or do you make them search... I just see it very hard for people to try and find it because I dont see how many people check rocks..So, anyways, should you say this is a rock one? or let them find it? Any advice would be nice... Thanks!

I would personally keep the container description (other than the correct size) a secret. Place it in an area where it blends in nicely, but don't make it into a "needle in a haystack" hide. A small fake rock hide in a sea of Riprap or a boulder field isn't clever, or fun.

Hi all!

You can give as little or as much information as you want.

However, the old "rock in a pile of rocks" sometimes gets people hot under the collar. If it were me I would provide enough hints to point the seeker withing 3-4 feet of the cache.

Hi all!

IF I bought one of those rocks (which I wouldn't... I've made every fake rock hide that I've put out, and there have been a few), I'd probably be tempted to say that its the one with the Groundspeak logo shamelessly embossed on top, just like all the other Groundspeak fake rocks they've found.

Instead, take a match safe ($1 at Walmart) and some 2-part epoxy putty. Shape the putty around the match safe (being sure that the top will still unscrew!). Once its set, paint it with those stone fleck spray paints. That's one way of many to make a unique fake rock cache.

Edited to say: Sorry... that was probably not the answer you were looking for, although it is the answer that I really wanted to give. To your question, I would say that it depends a lot on where you're hiding it. If you're hiding it in a pile of real rocks, you would probably be well advised to warn people that they will be looking for a fake rock in a rock pile (lots of people don't like needle-in-a-haystack hides like rockpile caches tend to be, though). If the fake rock is standing alone, it probably won't be that hard, so don't sweat it.

Edited by knowschad

I would say don't mention it. If there are a few DNFs, either up the difficulty and/or a very, very subtle hint and see how that goes. Just don't laugh too loudly (or blush) if we turn up and start using naughty words after looking for an hour :) and have no success.

Have fun with your cache!

Hi all!

IF I bought one of those rocks (which I wouldn't... I've made every fake rock hide that I've put out, and there have been a few), I'd probably be tempted to say that its the one with the Groundspeak logo shamelessly embossed on top, just like all the other Groundspeak fake rocks they've found.

Instead, take a match safe ($1 at Walmart) and some 2-part epoxy putty. Shape the putty around the match safe (being sure that the top will still unscrew!). Once its set, paint it with those stone fleck spray paints. That's one way of many to make a unique fake rock cache.

Edited to say: Sorry... that was probably not the answer you were looking for, although it is the answer that I really wanted to give. To your question, I would say that it depends a lot on where you're hiding it. If you're hiding it in a pile of real rocks, you would probably be well advised to warn people that they will be looking for a fake rock in a rock pile (lots of people don't like needle-in-a-haystack hides like rockpile caches tend to be, though). If the fake rock is standing alone, it probably won't be that hard, so don't sweat it.

Haha no problem, that is actually a very good idea rather than spending 20+ dollars for a ...rock

Hi all!

I would personally keep the container description (other than the correct size) a secret. Place it in an area where it blends in nicely, but don't make it into a "needle in a haystack" hide. A small fake rock hide in a sea of Riprap or a boulder field isn't clever, or fun.

Agreed. The best way to place them is to find a good spot 20-30 from the riprap pile and be sure to post very accurate coords. Anyone who stops trusting their GPS and geosense too soon will plunge into the riprap. When they finally find the well placed cache, they will only have themselves to curse. :drama:;)

Is there a brand or type of putty that works better for you?

Is there a brand or type of putty that works better for you?

I think I've used more than one brand, but I know that I've used this brand at least once

You want something that sets up pretty quickly, because you can't set it down as it hardens (well, maybe on in old teflon pan).

What I've done for the cap is to cut a hole a piece of poly coffee can lid and slide that over the threads and screw the cap on. Mold the putty, on the body side, up tight against the poly, but don't do anything with the lid yet. When hardened, then do the lid in a separate step. Hard to explain, but the point is that you want the seam between the body and the lid to be almost perfectly perpendicular to the threads, or you will create a "lock" that will keep the lid from unscrewing.

We placed one of those GC fake rocks once. It wasn't in a rock pile. To hint that they're looking for a rock, we used the word "scoria" in the title, since that's what type of rock it kind of looks like. Some picked up on the title and liked it.

Knowing you two, I'm surprised you haven't hidden one outside the Hard Rock Cafe! :)

We placed one of those GC fake rocks once. It wasn't in a rock pile. To hint that they're looking for a rock, we used the word "scoria" in the title, since that's what type of rock it kind of looks like. Some picked up on the title and liked it.

Knowing you two, I'm surprised you haven't hidden one outside the Hard Rock Cafe! :unsure:

Now there's an idea. It would have to be one hell of a hide to keep it from getting muggled in downtown MPLS. Hmmmmm (stroking chin)....

Those GC fake rocks are realy not that hard to spot. They somehow don't have the same look as a real rock. Different texture or something. I tried hollowing out a rock, but I obviously had the wrong tools. I guess I would need some gem tools or stone masonry tools or somehting.

Knowing you two, I'm surprised you haven't hidden one outside the Hard Rock Cafe! :unsure:

Now there's an idea. It would have to be one hell of a hide to keep it from getting muggled in downtown MPLS. Hmmmmm (stroking chin)....

Yeah, I figured you two might take that idea and run with it. "Hard Rock" would be a great name for a cache like that, too, wouldn't it?

Those GC fake rocks are realy not that hard to spot. They somehow don't have the same look as a real rock.

You just need to find an area that already has other rocks with stamped logos on them. It'll blend right in.

I tried hollowing out a rock, but I obviously had the wrong tools. I guess I would need some gem tools or stone masonry tools or somehting.

Find a softer type of rock? Or take it to a headstone company (anyone have any idea what that would cost?)

I don't know how practical this would be, but its a thought: How to Drill Through Granite

So, anyways, should you say this is a rock one? or let them find it? Any advice would be nice... Thanks!

I would put (and appreciate it when the cache owners do) an "other" for the cache container size, rather than micro, small or regular.

In my area this seems to be the standard clue that you are looking for something different. Something that isn't an ammo box or bison.

It alerts the finder to be alert and look for the unusual without actually giving away what it is they are looking for.

Knowing you two, I'm surprised you haven't hidden one outside the Hard Rock Cafe! :blink:

Yeah, I figured you two might take that idea and run with it. "Hard Rock" would be a great name for a cache like that, too, wouldn't it?

You bet. I was thinking of something along the lines of Hard Rock Caché.

That's exactly what I was gonna suggest. Instead of outright telling what you hid, just use some clever wording in the cache name, or in the description!

That's exactly what I was gonna suggest. Instead of outright telling what you hid, just use some clever wording in the cache name, or in the description!

I have an even better idea! For the hint, use "This cache rocks!" LOL! :blink:

(just kidding, of course!)

I have an even better idea! For the hint, use "This cache rocks!" LOL! :blink:

I've seen that very hint many times.

I have one of these. Contrary to many of the things in this thread, that logo is like a cloaking device, not a beacon, and just a little local dirt rubbed on and brushed off makes it look a whole lot like the local variety.

Even with an 'obvious' name and hint, people are just so trained to those darn film canisters that they refuse to see it.

Read the logs on gc1adpy and see how many people picked it up before they knew it was there... talk about hiding in plain sight! it's just sitting there, right in the open. I do my check up visits at full speed on a mountian bike! still invisible to people looking for it...

Edited by root1657

You would be suprised at how many people actually look at these things and dont figure them out. People are so trained for other "traditional" containers and dont even think to look for these. I got one sitting in front of my parents house and people still email me all the time in regards to it and say it was a clever hide. People walk right past it and do not even know it is sitting right in front of them. Rock caches are cool and I have plans of letting at least 10 more go into the wild upon my return.

I have an even better idea! For the hint, use "This cache rocks!" LOL! :o

If I hide one I'm using that hint for sure

I'll admit i went after a cache that stated it was a stones throw away from the co-ordinates, many people had climbed over a fence into private property,pushing the fence down but I chickened out :) .

I logged a dnf and the owner sent me an email to explain it wasn't over the fence and it was in fact a rock cache near to the co-ordinates :o .

he went to the cache site and discovered others had been entering the private property and damaging the surrounding fence in their searching, he has changed the wording for his cache now :antenna: .

so please even if you want a high difficulty rating use your words with care :antenna: .

I have one of these. Contrary to many of the things in this thread, that logo is like a cloaking device, not a beacon, and just a little local dirt rubbed on and brushed off makes it look a whole lot like the local variety.

Even with an 'obvious' name and hint, people are just so trained to those darn film canisters that they refuse to see it.

Read the logs on gc1adpy and see how many people picked it up before they knew it was there... talk about hiding in plain sight! it's just sitting there, right in the open. I do my check up visits at full speed on a mountian bike! still invisible to people looking for it...

I don't know. There are certain locations where I specifically look for unusual looking rocks or something else that may be camo. The best I can come up with to describe locations like that are areas where there doesn't seem to be any obvious potential hiding spots near ground zero, when I have already searched the obvious looking spots and have come up empty. I guess you might call this geosense but after awhile you can often tell what kind of container you might be looking for just based on the location. Unfortunately, that can sometimes backfire too if you're too intent on finding something specific and the CO has hidden something else knowing that everyone will be looking for a hide-a-key (as an example).