Algonquin Area Cache Suggestions

rtyrie

We will be travelling to the Algonquin region in a few weeks. We will be staying along the shore of Oxtongue Lake (a short distance from the west entrance to Algonquin Park) for the better part of a week. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for nearby caches or good caching areas within a relatively short distance. There are a handful of really close caches that I will likely find, just because they are close. And I will likely find some of the caches along the highway 60 corridor in the park itself. However, when I zoom out on the map, the choices become overwhelming and I'm wondering if anyone has any favourite caches/areas in this region.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ragged Falls (GCH3B3) was a great little side trip off of Highway 60. A spot that I would never have visited, if not for geocaching. Well worth the trip...

One of our favourite trails in Algonquin Park, Track and Tower, had a geocache on it. Unfortunately, it was archived last year :)

I will watch this thread with interest. We are heading up to the Park at the end of July, and I might want to do some caching when we make a trip into Huntsville.

Edited by swimmrguy

Ragged Falls (GCH3B3) was a great little side trip off of Highway 60. A spot that I would never have visited, if not for geocaching. Well worth the trip...

One of our favourite trails in Algonquin Park, Track and Tower, had a geocache on it. Unfortunately, it was archived last year :unsure:

I will watch this thread with interest. We are heading up to the Park at the end of July, and I might want to do some caching when we make a trip into Huntsville.

Thanks for the Ragged Falls suggestion. I was at Ragged Falls the year before I started caching. At that time I wasn't even aware of geocaching. This is one of the closest caches to where I'm staying (and it is a great location) so I will definitely revisit to search for the cache. Thanks

Oh, do I have caches for you.... :anicute: If you can get up in to the Kearney area, there are more caches to be found than you've have time for.

The 'Monterry' team has some rather dastardly hides, and Team Shutterbugs are always a favorite of mine and really unique in their design. Discovery 5 is another good hider of caches. All of the cachers up here are good at what they do but those are some of my favorites 'tourist attractions'.

If you really want a challenge then do this one - GC13F1M.

If you need any more help just send mail through the system here, we'll all be glad to help, maybe even meet up for a caching expedition if you've the time.

If you can get up in to the Kearney area, there are more caches to be found than you've have time for.

When I first searched for caches in the area, I was surprised to find such a large cluster in the Kearney area. I did not expect that there would be so many! I will likely avoid the most difficult caches, as I will have 2 kids along and they do not see the fun in difficulty! However, I will likely have a day without the kids and might try out some of the more difficult ones. Hopefully I will find at least some caches in the Kearney area. Right now I'm thinking of loading the 500 nearest caches, as I'm still unsure exactly what spots I will be visiting. I will send you an email if I need any help. Thanks

A must do cache as you head into Huntsville is 'Dying to be Memorable' After caching for four years, through eight countries, 5 provinces and 19 states, this one still stands out in our memory as the most awesome. You might also head south along Highway 35. There are several caches along this route through the 'Algonquin Highlands', leading you to the famous Kawartha Dairy in Minden.

A must do cache as you head into Huntsville is 'Dying to be Memorable' After caching for four years, through eight countries, 5 provinces and 19 states, this one still stands out in our memory as the most awesome. You might also head south along Highway 35. There are several caches along this route through the 'Algonquin Highlands', leading you to the famous Kawartha Dairy in Minden.

Thanks for that suggestion. Judging by the logs, it seems like quite the location! I will also check out your hwy 35 suggestion.

Thanks