How to rate a cache?

If you hide a cache that a newbe would have a very hard time finding, but to an experienced cacher it would be found in just a minute or two. Would you rate it maybe a 3 or 3 1/2 for the newbe or 1 or 1 1/2 for the experienced cacher? Or somewhere in between?

If you hide a cache that a newbe would have a very hard time finding, but to an experienced cacher it would be found in just a minute or two. Would you rate it maybe a 3 or 3 1/2 for the newbe or 1 or 1 1/2 for the experienced cacher? Or somewhere in between?

That is an *excellent* question, and one that I've had many debates with friends about. If you rate it too low, the new cachers can get frustrated, but if you rate it too high, the experienced cachers will gripe.

I first realized what you're asking when I and several other experienced cachers found a 3.5 difficulty cache of a type that really has been copied to death. We just walked right up to it. Then the grumbling started, "MG#$@$FAS!!! 3.5 difficulty MY !@#$#@" (my friends... not ME, of course!). Then it dawned on me that, if I were just starting out, that would have been at least a 3.5 for me.

I don't have an answer for you. I guess you could rate it for the beginners, and state on the cache page why you rated it that way. Might work... dunno. :)

There is a link on the Hide A Cache page, however, to the "Clayjar" system of rating (link) that can help, but it still doesn't really answer your question.

Edited by knowschad

I think the ratings should be based on the "average cacher" which would be someone with some degree of experience. 1 or 1.5 would be my rating, the reason being that the overwhelming majority of finders on nearly any cache are experienced cachers.

Edited by briansnat