What happened to everybody?

Eric K

We were too busy to pour coffee, let along socialize here for quite a while :P . Now we have three part time assistants and we're getting our feet under ourselves again. Heck, we even took the last week off and barely anyone noticed! Heidi, Robyn and Tracy kept things moving along as best they could, so now I only have to work late tonight to get caught up again.

I'm still around now and then as well. I get new topic notifications but rarely see anything that peaks my interest enough to come in and read or post about.

Lots of people selling off their coins.

Lots of "please, oh please I want this coin".

Lots of "guess what color my socks are" cointests.

Not many interesting coins coming out IMO.

That's why I'm not in here much actually posting.

I keep wondering what qualifies as someone who has been "around for a while"?

I actually went back and looked for my first post in the geocoins section. I had been lurking MUCH longer, but it was interesting to see.

I'm just wondering who qualifies as "everybody".

Edited by ATMouse

**snip**

That's why I'm not in here much actually posting.

I'm real curious as to what an interesting coin would look like? I've often heard it bemoaned that too many 'new' coins just don't have the appeal that the old coins do. I'm just curious what kinds of designs would be more interesting? I too like "some" of the older coins but there are some very unique and interesting coins today as well. Maybe it's the "not cache related" comments I've also heard before?

The way I see it - is that a coin is a representation of the individual that created it and since that person is a part of the geocoin/cacher community..then that to me is still geocaching related. Not all new coins appeal to me but I do like to see the creativity and personality of each design.

Edited by Theotokos

I usually just come in and look around. Given the current favorite subjects, I really don't have any need/desire to post much. Things like:

Buy my coins.

I can't live without _____coin.

Cointests every few minutes, over silly stuff--like what day was my cat spayed.

The notion that every coin that comes out is wonderful/beautiful/cute.......

The notion that if the word geocoin is on it, then it must be one.

Missions

Five year ago, when I started in coins, it was a lot more interesting--diversified--colorful.

I think what no one wants to say is the geocoins went to commercial.

It was all about the buck and not the friendship(s).

I have a first hand knowledge of this fact.

Money.

It was easier 2 or 3 years ago to save a little to buy new coins with but now it is hard to even save a little if you know what I mean.

Prices.

Coins have also gone way up from the 5-6 dollars they once were.

Time.

Now we all have to spend more time trying to make ends meet and it is summer too.

We are still a great group and we have all slowed back from our postings but it happens just about this time every year.

Speculators.

It appears they have also gone by the way side as the money end has started drying up as well.

That is just the tip of the iceburg.

Five year ago, when I started in coins, it was a lot more interesting--diversified--colorful.

I have to laugh about this one. I once said I didn't like a coin and boy did I get flamed! LOL I guess you're only allowed to say you like it.

It definitely was more "colorful" when a few certain cachers were around and each took the opposite stand on whatever was being talked about.......

I have to laugh about this one. I once said I didn't like a coin and boy did I get flamed! LOL I guess you're only allowed to say you like it.

It definitely was more "colorful" when a few certain cachers were around and each took the opposite stand on whatever was being talked about.......

Right on the nose with this comment. It seemed that lending your opinion to someone's idea and/or design was more openly accepted a few years ago because it was intended to make a better geocoin for everyone to enjoy. Skin must've been a little thicker then. :P

Yet, I don't complain about new coin offerings nowadays. I had always said that more design choices couldn't hurt, but I believe we've now seen the flaw in that logic. Groundspeak may have lowered their minimums on tracking codes to make it easier for people to get an icon, but I believe the shark got jumped. Coin after coin after coin from the same source flooding the market with more of the same. There's never been a time in which we were more in need of originality...than now. ***

The almighty wallet does the talking more than ever, and some people may discover that their coin will not do as well as they expected unless there's something very original or attractive about their design.

PS: *** While I was typing this, I had a vision of a caped Chris Mackey flying in and assuring the citizens that he would save the day! :P:)

I'm going to do a little reading between the lines on some of the posts I read so far :)

Why I no longer post in the Geocoin Forums

1. Coins are no longer novelty, they were only special when they first came out.

2. Coins are too commercial everyone does it for the money. (Although when I need sponsorship/donations for my event, this is one of the first places I come).

3. Coins are too commercial except for the coins I designed and sold in previous years. My designs don't count.

4. Coins are too commercial but when my buddy who is a designer /vendor offers one, it's a coin to be excited about, oh yeah it's not commercial and it's caching related :P

5. Your a newb and you're boring, I'm tired of recycled subjects.

6. I don't like change, I want things to be like they were. (You're a newb you have nothing I'm interested in reading or replying to)

7. The coins aren't caching related because I said they weren't, therefore I have no interest in posting here anymore.

8. Some coins are caching related but because I don't like you or you weren't here back when things got started, I have no interest in your coins.

9. I don't post here anymore because there aren't enough threads where I can freely complain or whine about everyone else.

10. I'm an old-timer and cranky and I just don't want to post here anymore.

(for those of you who aren't familiar with my questionable sense of humor, just ignore my post cause some of this isn't going to make any sense :P )

Can you say smarta** ? B)

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what it is that people are looking for in a coin - some elaboration would be appreciated. I also hope that if people don't like the coins I have put out that they would provide honest feedback - good or bad. The last thing I want(ed) to do is have a coin that people wish would disappear.

Yes, negative feedback would hurt but it would also stop me from bringing out more of the same old same old if that's the case.

Amen. :P

I remember that I was so nervous about posting the artwork for our coin sale back then. I just did not know how folks would react.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what it is that people are looking for in a coin - some elaboration would be appreciated. I also hope that if people don't like the coins I have put out that they would provide honest feedback - good or bad. The last thing I want(ed) to do is have a coin that people wish would disappear.

Yes, negative feedback would hurt but it would also stop me from bringing out more of the same old same old if that's the case.

I don't think there really is a good response as to what people are looking for in a coin. Tastes differ.

I like coins with a good design that sparks my particular interest. Not every person will like the same designs I do and I won't like the same designs that they do. There are several out there who love religious themed coins. I'm not one of them. It just ain't my cup of tea.

I took avroair's advice and went through some older threads (even some from 1999!) and did notice the diverse personalities and points of view. However, I noticed these these colorful personalities usually stood by their comments for more than one post, and the discussions/arguments/knock-down-drag-out type fights that ensued are fun to read. I should say that in retrospect they are fun. I can only imagine how heated it was "in the moment".

There are lots of posts with a good point, but then little follow up. Maybe the energy/bravery has changed, even for the regulars?

Prices.

Coins have also gone way up from the 5-6 dollars they once were.

Yep. I remember when I first started coming here a couple of years ago, the old timers would criticize peoples pricing, A typical coin went for about $10 including shipping, which I didn't think was too bad being a newcomer... when a coin would push $11, there would be a minor uproar.... I'd probably buy it despite others' comments b/c I was new and excited and it seemed like a reasonable price to me.

A few months ago there was a new coin that I really loved. Absolutely gorgeous.... when shipping was added on it came to $16. For a single coin. Shipped from within my country. Ordered through the forum via email, not even ebay. This one was probably a turning point for me... I said to myself "y'know what. it's JUST A COIN, you don't need it." Sure I'd come into the thread and gaze at it daily for maybe a week, but I didn't let myself buy it. It's gotten a lot easier to pass on them since that one. Especially since I'm having my own minted now and I know how much it costs, and $16 is 4 times what it's costing.. Mine won't be trackable, but for all the excuses for the increased prices... increased metal cost, increased labor cost (which is a totally good thing, people should be paid fairly) my coin is being made now, in this market. So now I can see where people were coming from.

The drama kept it lively in here too. The disagreements and arguments may have been angst filled and frustrating but it did keep me hitting refresh. Which, I guess many of the people involved in the disagreements may be the same people who the OP is wondering about.. I think a lot of people may have gotten fed up with the disagreements and just left. I think it did sort of reach a climax there and then everybody kinda backed off from posting.

This too, which I feel really bad saying, but a lot of the coins coming out haven't interested me at all. There of course are exceptions, and I really don't want to insult anyone, but I have been, in general, bored with a lot of the designs lately.

Then again, I have been busy and exhausted and that always contributes to me feeling bored, even by things that interest me, b/c there were a few that I was following and really excited about, and then all of a

sudden I missed the pre-sale, or they sold out. I'll probably post to the trading thread when I get my coins :P Which I am quite excited about, but I do think I'm more excited to have shiny swag for caches, which probably has something to do with all those above factors, and the fact that I can't stop dreaming about mountain tops and just being outside and caching.. which brings us back to "It's summer!" :P

The economy is probably also playing a role in the decreased enthusiasm in the threads, there were a couple of coins that I was so excited about and actually paying attention when the sale happened. Then when I saw the final minting numbers from the presales I was absolutely astonished at how few sold. Maybe people are avoiding looking at whats here because they don't want to see what they're missing out on.

Yet, I don't complain about new coin offerings nowadays. I had always said that more design choices couldn't hurt, but I believe we've now seen the flaw in that logic. Groundspeak may have lowered their minimums on tracking codes to make it easier for people to get an icon, but I believe the shark got jumped. Coin after coin after coin from the same source flooding the market with more of the same. There's never been a time in which we were more in need of originality...than now. ***

But where is the flaw if the coins are selling? The designer will continue making similar designs since it must be what people want...maybe not what all of us want but enough to sell out the coins - in most cases anyway. So isn't it the market that drives what coins are considered desirable?

So when we think 'original' or 'interesting' it means different things for everyone. So for me it's difficult to imagine what folks might be looking for in a coin...I can only gauge by what seems to sell. So to each his own but it's too bad that everyone posting in this thread couldn't do so more regularly to help get the 'color' back and maybe drive a bit of those design choices as well.

I remember that I was so nervous about posting the artwork for our coin sale back then. I just did not know how folks would react.

..and now, I'm kinda nervous that I'm going to announce mine and nobody will react at all b/c they aren't here!

..and now, I'm kinda nervous that I'm going to announce mine and nobody will react at all b/c they aren't here!

LOL :P

Lets see it! :D ... Looks like we're all here, just a little more reserved these days. I gotta admit that I had to "break the habit"... I loved this place! It was like "WOW...what was I missing" when I 1st came here. The missions were new, The Secret Agent had just set his foot, Geocoinfest was my first event and everything was so exciting!

All geocoins were new to me and I started building my collection via ebay and current coin editions. Then I started trading, brousing collections, checkin the forums in the midst of brousing. I was HOOKED on geocoins! Still am, just havent really been able to put forth the time I once used to, so when ya kinda slow down on somethin, ya loose a certain level of interest. For me it was all fun and excitment conversing with all the fun people here and oh how I loved those shiney lil inadimate objects of joy!

I just havent had the time I once did. Got me a real job workin for the man, went and had me a lil family, had no net, spent 2 hours a day driving...Things changed! I even started slackin off on trades cuz it was such a hassle to get my coin time in.

FUNNY, because guess what?.... YEP.....Today marks my first day of self-employment again and guess where I came? :P ...... B) ~ I had wondered where all the regulars of my time went aswell along the way, but many are still around. Guess everyone has their own lil group of "where are they's" :D

NOW, to get my straggling trades off and get goin on my new design again :)

Sure they are...they are just lurking :P

But where is the flaw if the coins are selling? The designer will continue making similar designs since it must be what people want...maybe not what all of us want but enough to sell out the coins - in most cases anyway. So isn't it the market that drives what coins are considered desirable?

So when we think 'original' or 'interesting' it means different things for everyone. So for me it's difficult to imagine what folks might be looking for in a coin...I can only gauge by what seems to sell. So to each his own but it's too bad that everyone posting in this thread couldn't do so more regularly to help get the 'color' back and maybe drive a bit of those design choices as well.

It seems to me there are two groups. Those who make coins based on "what will sell" and those who make coins because they have some artistic urge they need to manifest. The latter would be the creative coins that people become passionate about. Those people are still around.. I've seen them (and their artwork) on the threads since I've been here in January.

I have to wonder if some people are feeling vinegar out there because their coins are being sold for 4 times original cost on the e place. Well, if they are, good for you! Why don't you list some on the e place and reap the benefits.

Yes, I speculate. I buy coins now hoping they will be worth more later.. not to sell mind you, but to get me a good trade down the road. I also buy coins to hold onto for giving at a later date.

Some of you 'regulars' have great reputations and wonderful names. Your names are heard long before your postings are read, or even long before one of your coins is seen or owned. I heard about Tranquilities for the longest time before I ever saw one. Tengwars.... Earth Turtles (to name two). These coins and coiners are legends that we newbies look up to.

Be proud of your work and carry on with it.

As I have said, I have two coins going right now. They are both personal coins and are being minted because I want them. No other reason. I think every cacher with a love of coins gets to a place wherein they crave their own coin. I don't know that I'll sell the coins. Trade only. But if one shows up for sale... I'll watch it and smile. The artwork is to please me.. no one else. I have not posted any photos because I am new to this and frankly I don't want anyone to "steal" my ideas.

I post less now that "I" would consider myself vendor. Back in the the beginning I was more of a cacher making coins and now I need to worry about what peole think about what I say and how that effects my coins.

I continue to produce some of my own designs but I am currently getting more than half from others. So I guess that makes at least 2 who like the idea. :P:P:D

There are so many times I want to post and then delete. I should create a sock puppet account just for the forums. B):)

OK, I'll bite. As someone who has been here since day 1, I call it evolution of a hobby. Both as a forum, and as individual hobbyists. I've started many hobbies, and let them go by the wayside. I have a house filled with hobby related stuff that 'I'll get back into someday'. Geocoins may be that way for some. Maybe they grow out of it, like little girls grow out of dollhouses, and little boys grow out of.... well, the jury is still out on that, LOL. I once had a teacher who would say "Class! You have the attention span of an armadillo!" That's how life is for some people. They lose interest, they grow in other ways, they move on, their life changes. There is one person that has me wondering. They fell off the map late last year, after getting very involved in geocoins and these forums. So, I checked their profile after reading this thread, and followed the links in it to their blog and they stopped posting in the blog around May, so I wonder if everything is OK with them.

Another thought too, there are a whole lot of coin collectors who have never even come into the forums. There are a whole lot of geocoins that never saw these forums either.

What happened to all the regulars that used to post in this forum?

I just lurk now. :)

Ditto, although I don't lurk that much anymore. I usually check the geocoin forums once a day, whereas I used to check it multiples times a day, several times an hour.

As an "old-timer", although I hope no one thinks of me as old, I kind of miss the days of differing opinions and the bickering. It was entertaining to me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing stories of gifting coins, etc.

I don't know, times change, people move on. I'm still into geocoins, just not into it as much as I used to. I just have different priorities when it comes to buying things and geocoins aren't near the top of the list.

I also keep in contact with other old-timers through other means such as Facebook.

LOL :)

Lets see it! :lol: ... Looks like we're all here, just a little more reserved these days.

I will as soon as I get them :huh:<_< They won't be for sale though :yikes:

FUNNY, because guess what?.... YEP.....Today marks my first day of self-employment again

Congratulations and good luck!!!

if you miss them reach out with a pm - illness has taken a toll on some.

HUGS! You need to get better soon - there is a wombat in need of attention :huh: Oh yes, and events to attend <_<

I agree with OshnDoc - Facebook/Twitter has taken the whole thing to another level for me - I get to see the daily going-ons of all my favourite coiners without the flaming and nastiness. In other words, I get to have my fix AND play FarmTown :):yikes:

Yes, I know i'm pathetic.

But coins....ahhhh coins. I still love them very very much. I have become choosy in what I trade for and buy, also because I have now halved my salary by moving to a different job, so I have hardly any 'play' money to use on coins. So I spend a lot more time just admiring them.

And I think Tsun is pissy with me because I owe her a pack of TimTams, and I owe Tennessee Jed a boomerang. They will come....one day when you least expect it..... :lol: And I have a sealed package for Tooey that has been hanging around so long, I dont even know what's in it. I need an address!

BTW it's NOT summer here!!!!!

Edited by Cheesy pigs

if you miss them reach out with a pm - illness has taken a toll on some.

HUGS! You need to get better soon - there is a wombat in need of attention <_< Oh yes, and events to attend :)

thank you but no not me, check facebook for status.

I was alluding to others ( plural ) whom I know have had treatment for life threatening problems. So yes if you wonder - just a friendly hoy, missed you in the forums should be welcome.

I miss some of those popcorn icon threads ( where do you get that icon btw?) although I'm sure the mods don't!

This is one of the most interesting topics I've seen on this forum for a while :)

I've been around for a while and I still check this forum regularly just to see what new coins are up-and-coming. I feel that I'm in a minority here because I don't collect geocoins: I have about 8 which I keep with me for sentimental reasons but all my other coins have been released into the wild. I buy a few coins, either because I believe the design/concept to be 'unique' in some way or simple because the coin relates to something I did, or someone I know, or a cache I'm planning to set up.

So this means I don't have a lot to contribute in the way of robust debate - I'm a very low-key geocoin enthusiast - but I check this forum usually every day. Generally the majority of Cointests and Missions topics are of no great interest to me but I like the discussions on the broader aspects of geocoins which crop up from time to time.

MrsB

I'm glad this thread got started as it's nice to see some of the old names posting again and I hope you all find some interesting topics or start them up. I know everyone is busy and priorities change but it is nice to see some of the folks that helped start this hobby still hanging around.

I do have to say though as a "newbie" I sometimes have a hard time figuring out if some of the comments are meant to be sarcastic or not? I sometimes get the feeling that I'm part of an inside joke.

It's OK to name names as to who is missing and where have they gone. Nothing wrong with that.

I have been here since day 1, although I probably am considered a wall flower by many since I was always kind of shy about speaking up. I guess I was a lurker. Seems some people post just to hear themselves. I remember a cointest I had about being the last to post in every thread on the first page. Surprisingly there were a couple people who didn't get where the idea came from. It came from coming home from work and seeing the same people posted in almost every thread. To me that screams get a life. But then again those same people don't want the truth and prefer to everyone here to play all nicey nice. I think that is fake and unrealistic.

I enjoyed collecting and talking with others who had the same interest as I did. This was a part of my life, but not my entire life. Too many people became too obsessed with the coins and forums. People selling and designing more coins than caches they have found, creating umpteen different versions to try to suck every last penny out of addicts, people who actually were in family financial crisis yet were still here buying coins like they were a miracle cure, people begging to the point you would get a post or email weekly about this or that disability they have and needed a coin to help with it, health issues, lost jobs, BEGGING, scammers, etc. That's just the surface of things that turned me off.

I got several people in my area interested in coins and they seem to have gone down different paths as me, but seems we all ended up in the same place. We all participate still in one way or another, but nowhere on the same level as we did.

I think what finally pushed me away was the cointests and missions. Seemed it was always the same people who would fill the pages with stuff that was so uninteresting that I just got tired of wading through it. It is easier to just walk away. Now I come back and read what's going on from time to time, and have several friends who give me a heads up if something interesting is going on.

I am still here, but am in contact through other means with the true friends I have made through here.

Someone said the powers that be didn't like the colorful people. I disagree. I was one of the more colorful people if I do say so myself, feel free to disagree with this anyone, but always can say I was never banned or anything. You can be colorful and stay within the guidelines. You just have to be mature enough to know this is an online forum and not your life.

How long before someone turns this into a cointest? Oh wait. I think that I just did.

I have been here since day 1, although I probably am considered a wall flower by many since I was always kind of shy about speaking up.

I think I missed that part!! :blink: Actually I enjoyed most of your posts and they gave food for thought.

Shy about speaking up?!?

I'd hate to see it if you were to come out of your shell. :(

Interesting thread!

I still read the forums, but (as you may have guessed) I'm really attracted to handmade coins, and there haven't been too many out there lately. Interesting to read about both the desire for creativity in coins and the concern over rising coin costs. These two opposing forces are precisely what is holding me back on minting clay tikicoins. I want to make a neat, hand-crafted coin - but I know it is gonna be pricey and with the current surge in "selling my collection" threads I'm hesitant to buy the tracking codes.

Someone asked what makes a "good" geocoin. Well - that is all in the eyes of the beholder. I'm an artist, and I am attracted to well-designed, original coins. They don't have to feature geocaching, as long as they describe the cacher. Clip art and bad layout/illustration is a pet peeve of mine, and I don't like it in a coin. Lots of coins lately have looked like they rushed past the design phase, and that has caused me to frequent the forums less. I'm not saying "coins suck these days" - please remember that this is all personal opinion. I just haven't had my interest piqued in a while (and chances are I've missed several great coins in my absence). The use of a trademarked character, or another persons artwork is a big no-no in my book. That said, someone interpreting another artist's work in an original fashion can yield a fabulous coin. Case in point: Literature - Scavok's amazing Tolkien inspired coins! Beautiful, original design and wonderful execution.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble here. A big mahalo for a thought provoking thread!

Aloha!

Tiki

Winter here - brr!

Too cold to sit in my basement office at the moment....

Icy cold mornings, drive to work in the dark. Drive home in the dark.

Heaters on, flu season. Add in Noro virus at the local hospital which was not contained....

Looking forward to a rain free weekend (icy cold weeks with sun, heavy rain at the weekends! No caching done)

Boss away today - so sneaked into the forums....

shhhhh!

Hi all. We're still here too. Life is extremely busy for me (as if it were not busy enough before). With my girls being so heavily into gymnastics, it feels like I'm either at the gymnasium or at work any more these days. I stay up to date with the forums through email notifications.

Anthus (the Mrs.)

OK, I'll bite. As someone who has been here since day 1, I call it evolution of a hobby. Both as a forum, and as individual hobbyists. I've started many hobbies, and let them go by the wayside. I have a house filled with hobby related stuff that 'I'll get back into someday'. Geocoins may be that way for some. Maybe they grow out of it, like little girls grow out of dollhouses, and little boys grow out of.... well, the jury is still out on that, LOL. I once had a teacher who would say "Class! You have the attention span of an armadillo!" That's how life is for some people. They lose interest, they grow in other ways, they move on, their life changes. There is one person that has me wondering. They fell off the map late last year, after getting very involved in geocoins and these forums. So, I checked their profile after reading this thread, and followed the links in it to their blog and they stopped posting in the blog around May, so I wonder if everything is OK with them.

Another thought too, there are a whole lot of coin collectors who have never even come into the forums. There are a whole lot of geocoins that never saw these forums either.

How about merging us back in with the travel bugs, that will probably tick em off! And raise some new interesting threads! :)