What happened to everybody?

Eric K

I've been pretty busy, still pop in sometimes, like now (or at least read the OP in my email notification).

But I was moved to a new spot at work, with a more challenging assignment and a more visible monitor :) After work, if I'm not at the rock gym, I'm at the brewery, or in class, or cooking, but very rarely in front of a computer. I actually managed to squeeze in laundry this week! On the weekend? Its summer! :o I plan on opening a new thread of my own though in a few weeks :D hopefully some of the other missing regulars are here when I do :o

Weather is warm so maybe people are out caching and having fun with family and friends. I know I am. Though I don't post a lot I do come by and read.

I also couldn't seem to get on yesterday.

Happy caching. Found two coins to move along so life is good.

Karen

Five things:

1. i moved

2. very little time, very little in the way of appealing coins

3. pathtags are killing geocoins

4. a lot of the 'regulars' who buy coins don't need to be on this forum since it's not a whole lot about coins most of the time... missions and cointests etc.

5. I am signed up for most coin vendors' newsletters

6. it's summer ~ get out and cache!

I'm not one of those that was around in the early beginnings of the geocoin discussions but I still miss all the folks that were on even from when I started coming in. The conversations always seemed to be interesting and 'colorful'.

LMAO! That's very diplomatic of you. :unsure:

I am still around, but don't post as frequently as I used to. I understand what you mean...the forums don't seem to be as hopping as they used to be, and some of the more "colorful", outspoken folks are either gone, or are not posting like they used to. Ya know, back in the day, you had to reguarly hang out in the forums for the new coin announcements...and if you didn't, you missed out on coin sales (some where over in the blink of an eye). That just does not seem to be the case anymore...except for rare instances (earth turtles, compass rose, etc), you can now miss the start of a coin sale, and still be able to order one several days later. As frustrating as it was sometimes, I miss the excitement of those days.

Some of you hit on it. Agree or disagree you have to admit it was always interesting reading the more 'colorful' posts.

Every post seems kind of 'vanilla' these days.

Not trying to stir anything up at all, it's just been such a major change to the feel of the post here.

My thoughts and observations.....

*Summer is here :o

*People being layed off/losing jobs

*Life in general

*Pathtags (?) not involved with them myself but they seem to be very popular.

....and some of the bigger reasons that people probably don't want to mention;

*Rogue Vendors: over the last year unscrupulous vendors taking peoples money and not delivering. Once their excuses ran out they quit posting.

*Coiner Customers: observing the above more than once but still buying coins in pres-sales. When they get burned, they had enough of coins so the rest of paid for the idiots above actions.

*Cointests: Let me first start off by saying that I have no problems with cointests at one time I was the cointest queen and gave away more stuff but I learned the hard way. While I'd like to expound on this whole issue I'm pretty sure I'd tick a number of people off if I posted my true thoughts about this whole subject.

*Begging/Sob Stories/What have you: I'm sure there are some people who won't recognize themselves in this portion (lol). Some people have made this an artform :) Once they get what they want or milked the gullible then they are gone.Now I ain't sayin' this is everyone but it's alot of them. People this is a very small community and word spreads like wildfire the minute you say or do anything especially when you post under the guise of the above. This whole scenario just got old.

*Coin Sellers (notice I did not say vendors or at least not all vendors): This one probably irks me a bit more than the others. People designing and selling coins for the pure purpose of coming to this forum and taking your money with no intention of being a part of the community or even caching community. I could really go off on this one but it's probably more an issue with me than maybe others.

*Behind the Scenes: People who feel it necessary after you post that they can contact you and chew your butt because they don't agree with what you said. What you can't say it on these threads? This has happened to me a couple of times and normally I tried to be diplomatic but I admit I finally got tired of it and I was less polite later on. There are a few big mouths who are no longer around who were infamous for this. Then they'd go tell their buddies and the buddies would get mad. How high school is that?

*Control Issues: This goes back to the rogue vendor issue. After people got taken advantage of there were discussions of how to make the vendors more responsible for their actions, rating systems, and the list goes on. I admit as I read the threads that cropped up about these issues I let it get to me. I was furious some evenings. Why the heck should I pay for the actions of others. As a matter of fact I'm not even going to say much more about this issue because it still bothers me. I finally had to quit reading those threads and when I did I found myself less angry :o

*The Silent Majority: This covers a range of issues. People want change but so many were/are afraid to speak up. Watching others put their necks on the chopping block while those who had plenty of experiences sit there in silence was very annoying. There were several who came on and were very vague about some situation leaving the rest of us to question who the culprit was (thanks alot for that... makes everyone look guilty). Hey I got a message for you; "Go big or go home". If you ain't gonna speak up then quit your whining.

There are several other issues I suppose I could talk about but I think I covered some of the big ones :unsure: Too much drama in the end for me and I finally decided to just back off, time to support my customers and community in a different way :o

So Eric, I'd say this was less than Vanilla :o

Open disclosure: I am not part of the "everybody" from the original question, meaning I am not part of the group to whom the OP is referring.

However, I have been reading these forums for over a year and have wondered about the "coin culture" that used to exist. Over time, something must have changed there as this is NOT the first time I've heard people lament about how things used to be. Is this something that member of the old guard could articulate for those of us who missed out on it? What exactly is so different? What were the more common topics of conversation besides cointests and missions? Or is it one of those cases where new people "just wouldn't understand"? What were the more common topics of conversation? Was sending coins out in the world really more popular than keep or ebaying? If coins sales were that rapid, what was "different" about those coins vs coins of today?

I have conducted a few searches that led me back to threads from 2005 and 2006. There seemed to be fewer people and dare I say more rigorous cointests, but honestly I didn't see too much that was different from today. I do wish there was more discussion of travelling coins. I like to send them out, and it is very sad that most of them don't seem to last a year. Yes, I know they are just metal and this is a risk with any traveller, be it coin or TB. I'm not whining - just stating what I think most of us will agree is a sad fact.

I guess I'd really just like a taste of how things used to be, if anyone would like to volunteer such information. Evidently, those of us who are newer to the forums and to coins are not quite as entertaining as "the good ole days," but we really shouldn't be faulted if we don't have a clear example of what "good coin forum behavior" should be. Admittedly, we can probably never recreate history. However, perhaps if we can combine attitudes/ideas from the past and the "now" we might remake these forums into something entertaining for everyone.

Well, I think Penny and Kona spoke from the heart. I've only been in the coin discussions for a few months. But I love collecting coins, finding coins in caches (TB's too), and even though there's the risk of coins being stolen; still releasing them.

From the beginning I've been astounded by the generosity and creativity of this group. I've been amazed by many of the coin designs, and some of the Missions I've seen, blown away by what people have put together. We are a virtual group. Maybe somehow it doesn't seem as real or as meaningful. I for one would love to meet many of the people I've developed communications with. I've developed warm feelings for those I've never seen because, if I'm lucky, I've shared in a comraderie of how "these coins can make us feel." It's not about ownership, value, or quantity (though those are OK too), but what a coin evokes for us when we see it and pick it up.

We have a chance as a group to respectfully discuss what we'd like to have the forum be; what we'd like it to evolve into. Like Penny and Kona, I'm interested in what the newbies and veterans have to say...........

Edited by nefesh

Open disclosure: I am not part of the "everybody" from the original question, meaning I am not part of the group to whom the OP is referring.

However, I have been reading these forums for over a year and have wondered about the "coin culture" that used to exist. Over time, something must have changed there as this is NOT the first time I've heard people lament about how things used to be. Is this something that member of the old guard could articulate for those of us who missed out on it? What exactly is so different? What were the more common topics of conversation besides cointests and missions? Or is it one of those cases where new people "just wouldn't understand"? What were the more common topics of conversation? Was sending coins out in the world really more popular than keep or ebaying? If coins sales were that rapid, what was "different" about those coins vs coins of today?

I have conducted a few searches that led me back to threads from 2005 and 2006. There seemed to be fewer people and dare I say more rigorous cointests, but honestly I didn't see too much that was different from today. I do wish there was more discussion of travelling coins. I like to send them out, and it is very sad that most of them don't seem to last a year. Yes, I know they are just metal and this is a risk with any traveller, be it coin or TB. I'm not whining - just stating what I think most of us will agree is a sad fact.

I guess I'd really just like a taste of how things used to be, if anyone would like to volunteer such information. Evidently, those of us who are newer to the forums and to coins are not quite as entertaining as "the good ole days," but we really shouldn't be faulted if we don't have a clear example of what "good coin forum behavior" should be. Admittedly, we can probably never recreate history. However, perhaps if we can combine attitudes/ideas from the past and the "now" we might remake these forums into something entertaining for everyone.

I think there is a distinction between "regulars" and "old-timers". He did mention regulars although he did not mention a time-frame :unsure:.

If I've read things correctly from prior to my time, many old-timers lost interest and/or found that coins became to commercial/noncaching related. Those are my observations for old-timers. However, I would argue that it seems to me that around the 2 year mark (give or take) that most people just lose interest. Some come back but with less enthusiasm and other eventually rid themselves of their collection.

It seems to be the natural order of things in almost everything. The old-timers are replaced by the newer more enthusiastic. The old-timers talk about the "good ole days" and one day we'll be doing the same thing. Heck I can do that now in the 3 years I've been here. I have watched coins become small toys and gadgets :)

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program. I've got some weed whacking to get done and I've already posted over my limit for the day :o

T-sun:

Your post is the kind I'm talking about that is missing from the forums these days.

There doesn't seem to be any passion to any of the post now.

I don't think it's a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with a person it's the lack of passion about coins these days that seems to be missing.

I'm one of those disturbing newbies, so feel free to disregard as necessary.

I thoroughly enjoy the current atmosphere in this forum. What you see as vanilla I see as welcoming. What you see as boring cointests and missions I see as a new way of expressing the very passion for geocoins you say is missing.

I'm sure in two years I'll be in your shoes, wondering where the old community went, but for the time being, I plan to enjoy it while I can. :unsure:

Feel free to come on in and meet the new gang. They're great people.

I'm one of those disturbing newbies, so feel free to disregard as necessary.

I thoroughly enjoy the current atmosphere in this forum. What you see as vanilla I see as welcoming. What you see as boring cointests and missions I see as a new way of expressing the very passion for geocoins you say is missing.

I'm sure in two years I'll be in your shoes, wondering where the old community went, but for the time being, I plan to enjoy it while I can. :)

Feel free to come on in and meet the new gang. They're great people.

well said...... :unsure:

I'm not one of those that was around in the early beginnings of the geocoin discussions but I still miss all the folks that were on even from when I started coming in. The conversations always seemed to be interesting and 'colorful'.

Ya, I suppose. And I'll take my share of the blame for that too since I don't contribute much anymore either. I still lurk around the site a lot but most threads don't interest me much.

I think someone hit it on the head before..too many coins and you can buy them pretty much at any time. I think a lot of the appeal of geocoins in the "old" days was the trading and trying to get that hard to find coin. The appeal of pathtags - other than being cheaper - is they have a tremendous trading community and that's how they get to know each other so well and there always seems to be something to chat about. When I first started in geocoins I traded (and bought) a lot of coins. Now my interested are mainly the older coins and those don't get traded very often...so for me the fun of geocoins has fallen off a bit. I still like to design coins but I think the Dragon Ladon might be the last we do.

I really like this forum and wonder what I can do to help bring some folks back - or maybe it's just the natural progression of things and just need to move with the flow...

Every forum seems to have a life span for individuals. Like others have said, people move on and while they may still be collecting, they may be reading but not feeling the need to post. I belong to a forum where I was very very active at one point a few years ago. For one reason or another, I don't post there much anymore, but I do go and read up on what's going on. I might post to help a new person or to make a minor comment, but I don't get involved like I used to and there isn't really any one reason why. I'll help out a noob or make a comment on something new or different, but overall it is the same conversations there just held by different people. Maybe the threads here need new life as far as new coins or things to do with the coins other than the cointest and such.

I dunno. What I do know is I like it here and like what I read!

Just a thought, but I wonder if there is a "novelty" factor at play, which I think someone in this thread (sorry, I can't rememeber!) hinted at. Not that I witnessed this event, but there must have been some frenzy when geocoins came into existence! Now that there are lots of designers, websites, and more interested coiners, perhaps some of the novelty has worn off. Ah, the glory of being a newbie (to which I feel more akin than otherwise) is that EVERYTHING excites you! Now maybe that novelty rests with pathtags as the new trend on the block? I know nothing about them and so can't comment really, but maybe those who dabble in both can chime in?

On a personal note, the new challenge in geocoin circles is to find new ways to talk about, create, and use geocoins. IMHO, I think the 52-pick-up is a neat mix of mission AND cointest, and am excited to see that progress (note bias here, as I am participating!). Another entertaining venture, not that I posted much there but I did read, was the travelling Earth Turtle cointest/mission. The pictures on that thread were fabulous, which maybe made the end of that thread more depressing.

Anyway, I know there is some fabulous idea out there that will revitalize interest in posting, from all "timespans" of readers of this thread. This one has been pretty good: a nice mix bit of history, clarifications, humor, and opinions, some deeper than others!

Ya, I suppose. And I'll take my share of the blame for that too since I don't contribute much anymore either. I still lurk around the site a lot but most threads don't interest me much.

I think someone hit it on the head before..too many coins and you can buy them pretty much at any time. I think a lot of the appeal of geocoins in the "old" days was the trading and trying to get that hard to find coin. The appeal of pathtags - other than being cheaper - is they have a tremendous trading community and that's how they get to know each other so well and there always seems to be something to chat about. When I first started in geocoins I traded (and bought) a lot of coins. Now my interested are mainly the older coins and those don't get traded very often...so for me the fun of geocoins has fallen off a bit. I still like to design coins but I think the Dragon Ladon might be the last we do.

I really like this forum and wonder what I can do to help bring some folks back - or maybe it's just the natural progression of things and just need to move with the flow...

Maybe the vets can post what they DID LIKE. Some don't like missions or cointest; others do. What kind of missions did you like you haven't seen? Same with cointests. If you're not interested in cointests or missions, what topics do you want to discuss?

I personally don't mind the missions but I was burned a couple of time and have not joined in on one for a long time. I really enjoyed them but some folks just sucked the life out of those - for me.

Cointests - I don't mind them if they have a point...too many of the "guess my weight today" type cointests for me.

The topics I always enjoyed and some stirred the pot a bit...Ownership of gifted/mystery coins, New mystery coin threads (not as many around due to cost, ebay sales, etc), sig items (some aren't allowed to be discussed), geocoin hotels/proxies, etc, I always liked the hearts desire thread but it got to much into a gimme thread, there was a coin photo thread which was cool..got to see great photos of coins I'll probably never see in person, the trade thread too but again, not many older coins available.

basically more geocoin/caching topics I guess. I haven't been able to cache for a while now due to health issues so it's nice to hear of others caching adventures.

T-sun:

Your post is the kind I'm talking about that is missing from the forums these days.

There doesn't seem to be any passion to any of the post now.

I don't think it's a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with a person it's the lack of passion about coins these days that seems to be missing.

Eric, I think you nailed it in this post. That is exactly what I see...a lack of passion.

Nefesh, you asked what cointests and missions were liked from the "old days"...the thing is, there were not any when I started in the forums. Then, for awhile not too long ago, it seemed that the forums became overrun with cointests and missions. That was when I kind-of lost interest in the forums and did not visit as frequently. I am not saying that I do not enjoy missions and cointests (we've participated in many of each), but it became tedious wading thru those thread to get to the others. Now, it seems like there are fewer mission and cointest threads, so maybe the discussions will turn back to design ideas, techniques, or something totally new. Guess time will tell.

I guess I'd really just like a taste of how things used to be, if anyone would like to volunteer such information.

You can look back through the archive of the forums. Any topic with over 100 responses was usually a running mouth saber duel between two avid collectors! :drama:

Wow... there's a whole lot that can be said here on the various intricacies mentioned in the previous posts on coining. I love geocaching and coin collecting. There is always "the next level" to go to. At first, I collected coins that appealed to me -- a turtle here, a parrot there. Then, I realized that I wanted to collect ALL of the coins in a particular series, i.e. Tambe's Dreamcatchers. That was taking my collecting UP a level. Now, I'm in the process of minting my own coin, which is yet another rung up the ladder of coin collecting.

I rely on the posts of the regular old timers to teach me about collecting and minting. Your wisdom hopefully prevents me from making mistakes along the way and makes the path of coin collecting much more successful which equals more fun.

It doesn't take a newbie long on these threads to know who the old timers are. Who the heavy hitters are in the collecting world, who the designers are, who designs "serious" coins and who designs "fun" coins. You are all noticed and given your due respect. Thank you for continuing to post. You have paved the way for those of us coming up behind you and your efforts are appreciated.

Eric,

I guess I am still around --- Now and then at least :drama:

Still enjoy the more colorful comments, when they come around.

I guess facebook and/or Twitter have taken the role of the forums for some of the old timers / regulars I know, in trading comments and thoughts.

I am still around and just got back into posting a bit. But I have lost the passion that I once had for geocoins. Guess I have moved on somewhat. There used to be a time when I was collecting that I thought wow! I have to get everything. I thought all the new coins designs were great. It was fun to try and get the more 'collectable' or 'rare' coins. But now I just feel like the majority of coins designs have been done before or that they are just ok. There are still some nice ones out there but I just don't feel like buying them anymore I guess. And the community has changed too. Not saying there ain't nice people out there now but there was a time when there was a whole gang of us that had a great comradery. It was a fun group to post with and chat with. Things change and people move on. Guess that happens on most forums. People come and go.