Virtual question - backlogging a visited virtual, even though I didn't know it was a virtual at the time?

Eagle93

I recently started actively caching (early May) and am having a blast with it. The other day I pulled up a list of caches for New Orleans where I had visited back in March out of curiosity. I noticed that there a a couple of virtuals that are significant landmarks which I stopped at and have the photos and info to prove I was there...

My question - as I mentioned I was not caching at the time, so I didn't stop at these landmarks for that reason. However, I may not visit New Orleans again (at least not in the forseeable future) and would like to log these as I was there.

I've read on these forums about armchair cachers, etc. and don't want to be viewed as such. If I log these (again I have the photos and details necessary) would I be breaking any unspoken rules?

Next question, if I do log them, should I log the dates back in March when I was there or log them with a current date? To reasons I ask this - I recently found my 50th cache, and realize that if I backdate I'll throw that off, but also don't want to appear like I am trying to bury my log to avoid notice...

....Next question, if I do log them, should I log the dates back in March when I was there or log them with a current date? To reasons I ask this - I recently found my 50th cache, and realize that if I backdate I'll throw that off, but also don't want to appear like I am trying to bury my log to avoid notice...

If you found the cache you found the cache. It doesn't strike me as material that you were a muggle at the time. I'd log it the date you found it. Assuming of course that you really do have the answers to the qeustions the owner asked.

Now if a cache owner ever comes out and says "no muggles" we can start that debate, but until someone does. I think you are good to go.

You might run into an issue if the cache required that you provide something like the date listed on the back lower side plaque. Some may require a photo with your gps in hand.

If it looks like the owner is strict on these types of requirements you might want to discuss it with them. I'm sure you'll find most are cool about it.

Edited by BlueDeuce