Mat be an old question but

move to another part of the country.

i could never live as far south as, say CT. too hot. miserable stinkin' summers.

That's what my sister from Maine said last week, when we went on an eleven state tour of the 'mid-Atlantic' region. Yeah? So it was 95º in Bristol, Tennesseessee. We did a lot of cache and dashes!

If last weekend is anything to go by, I cache until I crash from heatstroke. The entire experience has me thinking that I should practice caching in the heat until I can cache in Death Valley as kind of an ultimate caching experience. Perhaps we need to assemble a list of tricks for hot-weather caching.

Carolyn

if i can comfortably wear long pants and turtlenecks through july i am a happy, happy person.

if it gets too hot out i go for a long bike ride. not a mountain bike, a road bike. can't explain it fully, but flying over hot pavement just makes me feel cooler.

if your helmet and shirt are built correctly, it's like air-conditioning.

last night i went for a trail run. 50 degrees and pouring rain. mud six inches thick, and seven feet of glide. hot shower and off to bed, down comforter and all.

that's my kind of summer.

105?

Well, it doesn't get that hot here (95+ for the months of June, July and August - oh! and very little rain), but I go caching just the same.

Wear sun protection, and an umbrella really works! Yes, I know! Using an umbrella makes you look like a dork, but it beats passing out with heat exhaustion or sun stroke!

105?

Well, it doesn't get that hot here (95+ for the months of June, July and August - oh! and very little rain), but I go caching just the same.

Wear sun protection, and an umbrella really works! Yes, I know! Using an umbrella makes you look like a dork, but it beats passing out with heat exhaustion or sun stroke!

Gotta love it, it's supposed to be 90 tomorrow in the great PNW.

I think it's time for parasols to come back. And if they come up with a more manly version, that works too.

Doesn't slow me down in the least. Prior to breaking that record twice this year, my best day (31) had been on a day where it was 98 and humid. Granted, almost all were P&G's along a highway, but that wasn't part of the plan.

Was just on vacation in northern Arkansas last week and it was quite hot and steamy with little breeze. Did a 2.5 mile hike with a cave and waterfall earthcache at the end (made for a cool ending). Got up the next morning and did a 3-miler. I figure I would only get one chance at those caches--and no way was I missing a 35-foot waterfall inside a cave or a cliff overlooking a beautiful valley.

:)

Usually that just means that I have to cache alone... As long as I have enough water, I'm game! Less muggles to deal with.

Hahah! I know how that goes.

Gets hot my parents are like "It's too hot to go out."

Roo is like "It's too hot to go out."

And I'm like "dadgum it people you're my transportation!"

.. Sometimes I will brave the heat on the mtn bike. Sometimes.

with 108 in phoenix over the last couple and no wonderful shade to be found on our hikes i did

GC1BKKF

GCC280

GCHFB3

GCF261

and while it was in between 90 and the hundreds placed:

GC1V05C

GC1TM64

if we don't cache in the higher temperature we lose 1/4 to 1/3 of the year.

with 108 in phoenix over the last couple and no wonderful shade to be found on our hikes i did

GC1BKKF

GCC280

GCHFB3

GCF261

and while it was in between 90 and the hundreds placed:

GC1V05C

GC1TM64

Hah, up in He-.. I mean Phoenix? You lose 90% of the year! :)

*Tucson*

If you're like me, you visit Phoenix, hike up Echo Canyon to the Camelback Summit on the hottest day of the week, and dnf the micro there.

I believe my husband would have spotted it if he'd been there (instead of in training class), but truly I was so thrilled to make the hike I didn't mind the dnf much. Doesn't hold a candle to Mule Ear's 19 mile 3800' elevation gain DNF, though, that's real commitment.

Love the heat.

Bean

Yeah, but it's a "dry" heat. :)

(I used to live in New Mexico and at times worked outdoors near Moab, so I know just how hot "dry" heat can be!)

If you're like me, you visit Phoenix, hike up Echo Canyon to the Camelback Summit on the hottest day of the week, and dnf the micro there.

I believe my husband would have spotted it if he'd been there (instead of in training class), but truly I was so thrilled to make the hike I didn't mind the dnf much. Doesn't hold a candle to Mule Ear's 19 mile 3800' elevation gain DNF, though, that's real commitment.

Love the heat.

Bean

Course with a 7 degree drop for every 1000 feet, it'd be almost 30 degrees cooler at the top.

Love the heat.

Bean

Course with a 7 degree drop for every 1000 feet, it'd be almost 30 degrees cooler at the top.

Full disclosure: It was only 102° F that day, and some of the elevation gain was regain due to my route crossing a couple of drainages. Net elevation gain was about 2800'. The dry lapse rate is actually 5.5° F per thousand feet; wet is 2.7°F. Being a pretty humid day, it was probably 10° cooler at the high point. So it fell short of the thread's 105°, but it's been a mild Summer.

last night i went for a trail run. 50 degrees and pouring rain. mud six inches thick, and seven feet of glide. hot shower and off to bed, down comforter and all.

that's my kind of summer.

Yes, but you live in a state that has Mud Season on the official calendar.

Back OT-go after long PnG runs like 109 Mobster, Red Wolf's Route 54's, or the ATN series.

Hmm, I may have to save the Mobsters for a special day since I've done the other two already. :)

not only do we have mud season, but we have stick season, bringing our total seasons to six.

mud season is a time of joy and blessings, as is stick season.

today is 2 july. i'm wearing long pants and a turtleneck. my windows are closed because it's cold out.

i am happy. happy, happy, happy.

not only do we have mud season, but we have stick season, bringing our total seasons to six.

mud season is a time of joy and blessings, as is stick season.

today is 2 july. i'm wearing long pants and a turtleneck. my windows are closed because it's cold out.

i am happy. happy, happy, happy.

I am happy as well. It is only 86 degrees with 44 percent humidity. It is practically cool outside. (In truth, my favorite days are in the 80s with very high humidity. It makes the swamps look even more like a land of mystery and magic created by Hollywood.)

:)

As to seasons, we don't have as many as other people. One of the best parts of living in Ohio for me (when I did) was that there were real seasons and they came on time each year. It was as if God had designed the calendar specifically for Ohio. Now that I'm in Western Tennessee the seasons aren't quite as well-timed and we don't get a real winter, but it is still lovely to live here.

Carolyn

You sit around twiddling your thumbs until someone places a series of shopping mall caches near you?

We live in Florida and try to grab most of ours in the morning or evening. Try being the opportune word - it hardly ever works that way. We have only been caching since April but we are beginning to realize that summer is not the busy time for caches here.