Canada Day Cointest

kini_ont

Canada, except of the official currency, the Canadian dollar, has some local currencies too! these notes are more like vouchers and are legal only in some places, some stores etc!

Most of them are 1:1 with Canadian dollar!

Cities, companies or even shops started making their own voucher- money, and believe me, some are extremelly beautiful!!!

some of the names of these local currencies...

1) Salt Spring Island dollars

2) Toronto dollars

3) Calgary dollars

4) Canadian tire Company money

5) Pioneer Petroleum - gas station - bonus bucks

6) Unity dollars

7) Tamworth hours

These local notes are not legal tender or baked by a national goverment, ok?

hmm.. anyone from Calgary???? :)

Edited by GATOULIS

Happy Canada Day!

We just moved to Alfred, Ontario from Quebec so I will add a bit of history about where we are living now. :)

When the community was first settled, it was originally known as Bradyville after Thomas Brady, who operated a local hotel. In 1842, it was renamed Alfred, after Prince Alfred, one of George III's sons. In 1952, Alfred became an incorporated village, which lasted until 1998 when it became part of the amalgamated township of Alfred and Plantagenet.

I didn't log on yesterday, so I missed the start of this cointest (spending too much time celebrating I guess).

Here's some Canada facts for you:

Over 800,000 sq km of Canada's landmass is covered in fresh water (lakes, rivers, etc), making it the largest source of fresh water in the world.

Canada is the only country to border three oceans (Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific).

Canada's capital -- Ottawa -- has the highest average snowfall of any world capital (93") and holds the record for highest snowfall (174.8" or 14.5 feet!!!) set in 1970-71. Ottawa ranks 7th on the list of coldest world capitals (Ulaanbaatar of Mongolia wins this dubious distinction).

Canada has six time zones, including a 1/2 hour time zone for Newfoundland and Labrador (GMT-3:30)

Superman was created by the Canadian duo of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster while they were still in high school.

Go figure that Canadians invented the snowblower and the snowmobile.

Halifax, Nova Scotia was the site of the world's largest accidental non-nuclear explosion in 1917. A French ammunition ship exploded in the harbour with a force of 3 kilotons of TNT (the Trinity nuclear explosion in Los Alamos was 20 kilotons), killing 1951 people and levelling large parts of the city. Windows were broken in Truro, a town over 50 km away, and the explosion was heard in Charlottetown, nearly 200 km away.

The North American Currency Union is a theoretical economic and monetary union of the three largest countries of North America; Canada, the United States and Mexico!

Some say that Only Canada and USA will join and have together a new currency....

Economical crisis and the fall of USA $, will probably make things speed up, and the North American Union will have its own currency soon!

Some expect this to happen somewhere in 2010 - 12!

Most probably the name of the new currency will be AMERO, like the European Union....Euro!

Some Fantasy coins and banknotes exist in Ameros, but as I said they are fantasy!

So...Canada and USA will drop their currency soon, for a newer, better and common one!

Why I say better???

Most probably the Amero will be equal with 2 USA dollars!!! (I read that!)

In case you haven't heard anything yet is just because they are trying to keep it secret....for now, but they are meeting often about that!

I do not know what will happen with the other countries that use USA dollars as their currency! they will probably use Ameros too! :)

Other countries are trying Unions too! South America, Arab countries...

So after some years we will not have all that different currencies we have now, but only about 10 - 20.... who knows!!!

I am wondering what the collectors like me will do!!!!

There are some two million lakes in Canada, covering about 7.6% of the Canadian landmass. The main lakes, in order of the surface area located in Canada (many large lakes are traversed by the Canada-U.S. border), are Huron, Great Bear, Superior, Great Slave, Winnipeg, Erie and Ontario. The largest lake situated entirely in Canada is Great Bear Lake (31 326 km2) in the Northwest Territories. :)

Here are some interesting tidbits....

Saturday mail delivery in Canada was eliminated by Canada Post on February 1, 1969

Apparently Canadians consume more macaroni and cheese than any other nation on earth.

The baseball glove was invented in Canada in 1883.

Canada is the home of many great inventions, including: basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, standard time, the television, the telephone, and the zipper.

The original Star Trek owes much to Canada. Two of its stars - William Shatner (Captain Kirk) and James Doohan (Scotty) came from Canada.

Quebec is the biggest of Canada's main provinces and covers 1,365,128 square kilometres. (Nunavut, in the far north is bigger, at 1,936,113 square kilometres.) Quebec is 2.7 times bigger than France and 6 times bigger than the UK.

Happy Canada Day!

Canada is the second largest country in the world, with 9,971,000 square kilometres of land.

With only three people per square kilometer, Canada has the fourth lowest population density in the world.

Vancouver Canada is tied with Zurich Switzerland for the highest quality of life of any city in the world.

Canada has the ninth biggest economy of the world

More Canadian facts:

Canada is the third largest producer of diamonds in the world

There are 42 national parks in Canada

The largest park is Wood Buffalo National Park in Alberta and the Northern Territories. It is the home of the largest herd of bison. It is also the only nesting area of the endagered whooping crane.

The oldest park is Banff in Alberta. It was created in 1885 as Rocky Mountain Park.

Canada Day facts:

July 1st

O Canada became the official anthem on Canada day in 1980

Canada day was first known as Dominion day because Canada was officailly known as the Dominion of Canada until October 27, 1982 but most Canadians still called it Canada Day.

The Order of Canada is the highest Canadian civilian honor and was started on Canada Day in 1968.

10 Villages were flooded in Ontario on Canada day in 1958. They are known as the lost villages.

The world's longest national highway is in Canada. The TransCanadian Highway is 4,860 miles and stretches from Newfoundland to British Colombia. Work was begun in April 1950 and it officially opened in June 1965.

The world's longest designated street is also in Canada. The Yonge Street starts in Toronto and runs 1,178.3 miles.

Canadian Sir Sanford Fleming created the world's 24 time zones.

Canada Day, formerly Dominion Day is Canada's national day,celebrating the anniversary of the 1 July 1867 enactment of the British North America Act, which united Canada as a single country, which was in turn composed of four provinces. Canada Day observances take place throughout Canada as well as internationally.

POLAR BEAR SCARE

The white hairs on a polar bear are hollow and trap sunlight to help keep the animal warm in frigid temperatures. The town of Churchill is smack dab in their migration path and a fantastic place to do some polar bear spotting.

The Canadian men's national soccer team has 2 nicknames! Actually it is one in english and one in French!

The Canucks

Les Rouges (The Reds).

Their most significant achievements include qualifying for the 1986 FIFA World Cup in Mexico and winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 1985 and 2000.

Now... when I searched the names of the players they are now in the national team, I found that..... there is a goalkeeper that is Greek Canadian!!!! His name is Kenny Stamatopoulos!!!! :)

there is also an other player, Tam Nsaliwa, a midfielder who is playing in a Greek Football team....which is actually my favorite Greek team! AEK Athens!!! :o

He is a very good player!!!! :D

The Arctic Ocean is north and the United States is south of canada :)

Actually that needs to be qualified because there is a Canadian city that is south of the United States. It's a great trivia question. Scroll down to see the answer.

Windsor marks the only border crossing point along the Canada-United States border where one travels north to enter the contiguous United States from Canada. Windsor Ontario is south of Detroit, Michigan

People: The Maliseet tribe belonged to the loose confederation of eastern American Indians known as the Wabanaki Alliance, together with the Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Micmac, and Abenaki Indians.

The Maliseet live primarily in Canada, especially New Brunswick.

Opalsns

FROZEN DRINKS

Founded on the banks of Montréal’s St Lawrence River in 1786, Molson is Canada’s oldest brewery. Canada is also the world’s leading producer of icewine, a sweet dessert tipple made from grapes frozen and harvested on the vine

:D OK COINTEST is now closed, Thanks everyone for participating in Canada's Birthday. This post will be the entry for a post that was left on the double post, it will be for Team Teekay

Thanks again and stay tune for the winning announcements, judges are now meeting :o

Refreshments are served while you wait. :)

POLAR BEAR SCARE

The white hairs on a polar bear are hollow and trap sunlight to help keep the animal warm in frigid temperatures. The town of Churchill is smack dab in their migration path and a fantastic place to do some polar bear spotting.

:D Our first winning post as selected by random number checker, also first to select an envelope :) shall it be 1 or 2 or 3 :o