Time for pay backs, the Rangers come through

SKILLET

He sent this E-mail to Me and Fossillady. This is still in the planning stages . They plan on putting out at least 50 Caches. It will be a fun filled day. If there is enough interest I'll hold a Campout. Not at my place though, It'll be by the showers and restrooms that are close to the Rangers HQs. I'll build the fire at night. The date is set so mark your calenders 30 Jan 2010.

Lets show them what the Geocaching community is really like. More to follow as Fossillady and I get the info.

A few more volunteers maybe needed so think about it.

My name is Jeff and I am one of the Interpreters at Ocotillo Wells. We are currently planning a geocaching event for Jan 30th of 2010 and I am trying to get in touch with the local Geocaching community. As the two of you seem to be the most active (and accomplished!) geocachers around these parts we would like to see if you had any interest in helping us plan and set up for the event. As of right now, the events itinerary is as follows,

8am-10am= 4X4 Geocache Scavenger Hunt (Much Like Treasure Trails) registration, orientation and kickoff of hunt.

11am= CITO (Cache In Trash Out) Event Starts.

4pm= Fun Run and CITO end.

5pm-6pm= Dinner.

6pm-9pm= Evening activities; various small speeches/talks from representatives of the geocaching communities, parks personnel, and 4X4 clubs. Raffle and hunt prizes. And maybe a movie?

As you can see this is still in it’s early stages, but is coming together fairly quickly. I would love to hear your input or advice and if you would like to help we would be very grateful! I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you,

Jeffrey L. Price

State Park Interpreter 1

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

He sent this E-mail to Me and Fossillady. This is still in the planning stages . They plan on putting out at least 50 Caches. It will be a fun filled day. If there is enough interest I'll hold a Campout. Not at my place though, It'll be by the showers and restrooms that are close to the Rangers HQs. I'll build the fire at night. The date is set so mark your calenders 30 Jan 2010.

Lets show them what the Geocaching community is really like. More to follow as Fossillady and I get the info.

A few more volunteers maybe needed so think about it.

My name is Jeff and I am one of the Interpreters at Ocotillo Wells. We are currently planning a geocaching event for Jan 30th of 2010 and I am trying to get in touch with the local Geocaching community. As the two of you seem to be the most active (and accomplished!) geocachers around these parts we would like to see if you had any interest in helping us plan and set up for the event. As of right now, the events itinerary is as follows,

8am-10am= 4X4 Geocache Scavenger Hunt (Much Like Treasure Trails) registration, orientation and kickoff of hunt.

11am= CITO (Cache In Trash Out) Event Starts.

4pm= Fun Run and CITO end.

5pm-6pm= Dinner.

6pm-9pm= Evening activities; various small speeches/talks from representatives of the geocaching communities, parks personnel, and 4X4 clubs. Raffle and hunt prizes. And maybe a movie?

As you can see this is still in it’s early stages, but is coming together fairly quickly. I would love to hear your input or advice and if you would like to help we would be very grateful! I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you,

Jeffrey L. Price

State Park Interpreter 1

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

COUNT ME IN!!!

Nothing is set in stone yet, except the date so mark your calendars. There will probably be an event coin. It is going to be two day with the CITO being moved to Sunday morning so we will have about 6 hours to cache on Sat. with other activites planned. It will be geared to all levels of cachers and OWSVRA will have some GPS's to lend out. Most caches will need some sort of off-road vehicle to reach, but there will be some easy one for folks without these.

They will have their interperation trailer set-up some where near Main Street and that will be where most of the activites will start and end.

I am so excited about this. All caches will be within the park boundaries and will be educational. I was out with Jeff last Friday and I learned a few new things and explored areas of the park even I hadn't seen before.

More information to follow.

:):o:D

They had also contacted the Socal 4x4 Geocachers previously to discuss some planning ideas for the event. The event has the potential for a large turnout, which is good. I offered our help to Jeffrey as well because if the event has a large turnout, they will need help with parts of the event.

He didn't mention the movie part before, but I've got connections to get a big screen, projector, audio and all that stuff.

Anyways, keep us updated. We are looking forward to the event.

He didn't mention the movie part before, but I've got connections to get a big screen, projector, audio and all that stuff.

2009 King of the Hammers video

I concur :D ! Just caught the tail end of that the other night on TV.

Count Team Reid in! Would love to volunteer wherever help is needed. Woo Hoo!

Robyn

Talked to the OWSVRA people today. The 50 Caches they are going to put out won't be published until after the Event starts (sorry you FTF hounds) they will have three or four lap tops with GSAK that they will download the coords. Each Cache will have a message in it that you have to copy to get credit for the find. Which could win you a prize. some will be easy and some will really be hard. Some Caches will have coords for other Caches that will give you bonus points for the find. It's going to be a great Event.

Talked to the OWSVRA people today. The 50 Caches they are going to put out won't be published until after the Event starts (sorry you FTF hounds) they will have three or four lap tops with GSAK that they will download the coords. Each Cache will have a message in it that you have to copy to get credit for the find. Which could win you a prize. some will be easy and some will really be hard. Some Caches will have coords for other Caches that will give you bonus points for the find. It's going to be a great Event.

Have you posted an event on geocaching?

Part of an E-mail I got from the OWSVRA people.

Another bottleneck that we are facing is one of donations. We have solicited about 100 companies, and while we have received some great event and raffle prizes, we have fallen fairly short of our goal. I believe this is due to the economy being as bad as it is, but I also think that we don’t have the kind of contacts that we need yet with the off-road and geocaching companies that would be happy to donate and get some great advertising. Do you know of anyone that has some wide-ranging contacts that might be able to suggest companies that might be interested?

Anyone out there have some contacts or knows anyone that has some wide-ranging contacts that might be able to suggest companies that might be interested?

4x4, off road, or any other company that may be interested.

If anyone does please contact Jeff at .

jlprice@parks.ca.gov

Or Call him , he is usually there until 1530 (3:30PM)

Jeffrey L. Price

State Park Interpreter 1

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

760-767-5772

Colors and bold text I added.

Fossilady has been riding around with him in 118 degree heat scouting out the hide sites.

Come on people this is going to be a great EVENT with you all's help.

You can also contact Me or Fossilady with your info if you want.

OK folks here it is Roughneck Rendezvous Off-Road Geocaching Adventure GC1Y5D2

Looks like it's going to be alot of fun. </a> <a href="http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=10" target="_blank">IPB Image

Added my will attend to the listing! This looks like a very "pro" event, I am glad some of the land managers in our area get the idea that geocaching isn't always bad for their area of responsibilty. Also I see that there might be an Event specific geocoin made, but I will contact Jeff and see if he would care for any of the poker chip tokens to go along with it.

Roughneck Rendezvous Off-Road Geocaching Adventure GC1Y5D2

Added my will attend to the listing! This looks like a very "pro" event, I am glad some of the land managers in our area get the idea that geocaching isn't always bad for their area of responsibility. Also I see that there might be an Event specific geocoin made, but I will contact Jeff and see if he would care for any of the poker chip tokens to go along with it.

Stopped by and had a nice chat with Jeffery this weekend.

Looks like most of the Raffle prizes are coming from Off Road Companies ( what's up with those GPSr Co?)

Looks like he will need some volunteers. Needs help for the downloading of the coords. They will have 10 laptops with GSAK installed, so downloading should go quick. If you can download from GSAK your help would be great. Any volunteers won't lose any time in the actual Event.

If your GPSr needs a special USB Cable please bring it. They will have the standard USB Cables for most Garmins.

Also Jeffery will be coming over to the Campout on Sat to meet you all.

If you would like to Volunteer to make this a great event . Please contact Jeffery or me or Fossilady with what you would like to help with. There are others things I'm sure he will need help with.

If this years Event goes as planned Jeffery is looking at trying for MEGA event status next year.

I saw the design for the Event Geocoin SWEET!!!!

Hello everyone!

First of all, it was great to meet some of you at SKILLET's event last Saturday! I wish I had been able to stay longer and partake of the chili, from what I hear I really missed out! I will say that your dedication and enthusiasm for this sport is inspiring so keep up the good work!

So, some new information!

I have been getting a lot of e-mails asking questions about what type of terrain the caches will be situated on, and if any specialized vehicles will be required. Well, the answer is both simple and complex. Yes, if you have a 2WD SUV type vehicle, depending on how adventurous you are, you can probably make it to about 50% of the caches with relative ease. The only problem would be getting stuck in some deep sand in the washes. If you have a stock 4WD vehicle you can make it to 100% of the caches, and if you have a built-up 4WD you can get to 100% of the caches but you can take the more exciting routes to get there. :) We have picked the sites for the caches based on the fact that we want everyone to enjoy themselves, and be able to safely and responsibly have a great time! So there are caches out there for every 4WD and skill level. If you have a dirt-bike or atv/rhino/rail or buggy then you need not worry about getting everywhere that you need to.

If you would like to attend this event, or know someone that would like to attend, and you/they do not have access to an appropriate vehicle, maybe we can set up a thread to look into sharing rides?

Also, we will soon be unveiling or event geocoin! We are waiting on the physical samples to come in, but as soon as they do we will set up a way for everyone to pre-order. Just a hint, this geocoin is has something on it that will make it a very cool and unique part of your collection! More to come very soon on this one!

Ok, thats all for now! The main event cache page will be updated sometime in the next week or so, so keep your eyes peeled! And if you have any questions, please feel free to call or e-mail me!

Jeff Price

State Park Interpreter I

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

760-767-5772

JLPrice@parks.ca.gov

Hello Everyone!

Just a small reminder, our geocoin is for sale and we are quickly running low! All proceeds from the sale of this coin go to support educational efforts at Ocotillo Wells SVRA, and to help fund next years Roughneck Rendezvous! Here is a picture if you havn't seen it before:

GeocoinFront.jpg

GeocoinBack.jpg

One other important update that will be added to the event page shortly!

On the morning of the event we are expecting a bottleneck at the waypoint download booth. We are asking everyone who is attending to help relieve this possible bottleneck by bringing your GPSr's data transfer cable with you to the event! We will have a few cables for the more popular GPSr's out there, but we cannot garantee we will have yours. The waypoint download booth will have at least 10 laptops for you to use and we will be using easygps and GSAK as the transfer programs. If you would like to curcumvent the data booth altogether, you can bring your own laptop with your favorite software and we will provide you with the waypoint data on a CD!Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation! Together we can make this a great event for all!

Jeff Price

State Park Interpreter 1

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

760-767-5772

Hello,

Here is the next update! You can also view it on the main event cache page.

This one is lengthy as well, but please bear with us!

1. This event has from the beginning been about providing a high quality recreational opportunity in a fun and safe arena, while learning about responsible geocaching and off-roading in Ocotillo Wells. To facilitate this we have gone to a tiered reward system based on the number of caches that you find.

Tier #1 1-5 caches found= 5 Raffle tickets

Tier #2 6-15 Caches Found= 10 Raffle tickets

Tier #3 16-25 Caches Found= 15 Raffle Tickets

Tier #4 26-40 Caches Found= 20 Raffle Tickets

Tier #5 41+ Caches Found= 30 Raffle Tickets

We will also have 10 “Golden Caches” placed randomly throughout the park. You will know that you have found a golden cache when you open it and find the inside painted a metallic gold. Log the cache in your cache booklet like you would any other and leave the cache there! Then make a tally mark for each one you find on the front of your booklet and we will give you the tickets when you turn your booklet in.

Also, in an effort to increase safety for our visitors we are going to allow participants the opportunity to start the scavenger hunt as soon as you have registered and received your waypoints.

2. We have received quite a bit of rain in the last week. By the weekend of the event, it should have dried up a little, but expect some mud in the washes. Just a reminder, most areas require an off-road vehicle/rhino with moderate to high clearance, an ATV, or dirt bike to access them.

3. If you do not own an off road vehicle, you are still in luck! We have a great group of volunteers that are going to be running an orienteering course/walking scavenger hunt that anyone, with or without an off-road vehicle can participate in.

4. We are also setting caches in an area that is accessible only by walking. There are not as many caches in this small area, but it will still be a fun way to spend several hours if you do not own an off-road vehicle.

5. We are asking people to bring their GPSr data transfer cables. While we have a few generic ones, we cannot guarantee we will have one that fits your GPSr! For transferring data that morning, we will be using GSAK, Easy GPS, and for any DeLormes we will have a computer with TOPO 7.0.

6. We are also recommending that if you have a personal laptop to download coordinates from, bring it! We will have CDs available on Saturday morning loaded with the waypoint files that you will be able to borrow. This way you can use your favorite program to transfer your coordinates, and it will be both faster for you.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and dedication to this brand new event. Please read the following event rules and guidelines. We will see you out there!

Registration

• Registration is dependent on having a GPSr unit. One (1) unit will get you one (1) registration packet to use out in the field to log your caches.

• Once you have registered, or if you have pre-registered on Friday afternoon, then you can proceed with your event packet to the waypoint download station, where you will be able to download waypoints directly into your GPSr, or receive a CD with the waypoint file to download directly from your own laptop.

• Once you have registered and downloaded your waypoints, you are allowed to go into the park and start hunting caches.

Scavenger Hunt

• After you have left the event area, remember that the speed limit is 15 mph within 50 feet of people or campsites.

• Even when not near people and/or campsites always maintain a safe speed in order to insure yours and others safety.

• Once you have found a cache there are several things you must do to claim that cache.

1. Open cache box and look on the inside cover of the lid, there will be a sticker with the cache name. Open your Cache Authentication Booklet, and find the corresponding cache that will be listed within.

2. Inside the cache, you will find a stamp and an ink pad. Ink the stamp, and stamp the box to the right of the cache name and coordinates in your cache booklet. Make sure that the stamp is legible as it will be compared to a master copy when it is turned in.

3. Take an interpretive trading card out of the cache, and write the answer to the question found in your Cache Authentication Booklet in the stamp box. One card per group please.

4. Replace the cache in the same location that you found it.

5. Re-hide the cache as well or better than you found it to make it an interesting find for the next cachers.

6. And as always, watch out for muggles! If caught, please take some time to explain geocaching and the event that is going on and direct them to the headquarters on Main Street if they have any more questions!

• Remember, this event is not a race! We have a tiered reward system, so you can choose how many caches you would like to pursue throughout the day. The more caches you get, the more raffle tickets you receive, but there are golden caches hidden out there as well. If you find a few you can easily increase the number of raffle tickets you receive. Strategy and NOT speed will earn you the most rewards!

Tier #1= 1-5 caches found= 5 Raffle Tickets

Tier #2= 6-15 Caches Found= 10 Raffle Tickets

Tier #3= 16-25 Caches Found= 15 Raffle Tickets

Tier #4= 26-40 Caches Found= 20 Raffle Tickets

Tier #5= 41+ Caches Found= 30 Raffle Tickets

Golden Cache= 5 Raffle Tickets For Each One Logged

• When you find a Golden Cache, you will know because the inside of the cache is painted in metallic gold. Please log this cache like any other normal cache you find during the event and leave it for the next person to find. You do not have to take the physical cache with you to receive your raffle tickets. The only thing we ask you to do is tally how many you find on the front of your booklet. Good Luck!

When you have finished caching, please return to the event area to turn in your Cache Authentication Booklet. We will open the registration table to receive these booklets at 4:00 PM on Saturday afternoon. If you are not in line to return your event packet by 5:00 PM, you will not be able to turn in your numbers.

• When you visit an event earth cache, you must answer the question that is asked on the event earth cache info page on the back of your booklet. Once you have done this, you may count that cache as logged. Since visiting earth caches are a great way to learn about your desert, if you complete all 7 event earth caches you will receive 5 extra raffle tickets. Good luck!

I will be heading up there early Friday leaving SD about 8 or 9ish AM, I need to get there to drop off some things to Jeff. My wife will not be going, but Piglit will, so I will have an extra seat in the truck if anyone needs a ride up or wants to jump in for caching. Also I will be staying until early Sunday morning, possibly won't be able to participate in the CITO that morning {need to be back in SD by 2PM}. So if you enjoy a leisurely caching pace and want the extra seat, drop me an email.

If you haven't looked at the Event page here is a list of some of the Raffle prizes that Jeff posted.

Now these are some neat Raffle prizes.

RAFFLE PRIZES!

This is not a complete list but here are some of the sponsors and what they are bringing for the Raffle! Some of the raffle prizes will be a surprise as even we haven’t seen what they are yet! They are in no particular order!

1. Gear One = Rhino Parts, Shirts, Hats
  2. Custom Snuggies = Snuggies!
  3. Delorme = TOPO software, Atlases and a Geocoin
  4. Luv2camp = 2 nites 3 days of a trailer delivered!
  5. SDORC = Shirts
  6. TDS= Surprise!
  7. Racewerks = Surprise!
  8. Gotomycamp = Whips and Flags
  9. Goodyear – 5! Yes FIVE 37” Goodyear Wrangler Mud Terrains!
  10. Calmini – 42” Rockcrawler Bumper, TJ Gas Tank Skid Plate, Hi-flow Intake System
  11. Hanson Offroad – Part Of Calmini’s Donation!
  12. Airbedz = Truck Bed Airbed
  13. Jeeps R Us = 50 Hats!
  14. Borrego Water = Supplying all the water!
  15. Cabelas = 10 Utility Knives
  16. The Epicenter = Geocaching and Safety gear
  17. Sand Sports Magazine = Magazines, Shirts and More!
  18. “The Buggy Bunch” = Some great T-Shirts!
  19. Pittman Outdoors = Part Of Airbedz donation!
  20. Travertine Grill = 10, $10 Gift certificates
  21. BURRTEC – Multiple items of camping gear!
  22. ABDNHA = Surprise!
  23. North County Crawlers = Surprise!
  24. SwagHouse = Surprise
  25. 4Wheel Parts= Hi-lift jack, Tow Straps and some surprises!

I know I am missing some more so as soon as I figure out who it is I will post them as well

I just saw that list. WOW!

Do new jeeps get to start at the front? I could use as many raffle tickets as I can get to get my hands on some of that booty.

Where is everyone camping? Somewhere off of main street? Will skillett be able to blow through the thick quicksand at his place? Do we need to soak it down further so we all get a head start :) ?

We'll be out on Friday afternoon / evening. I know GeoDC has a spot lined up but not sure where yet.

Can't wait to get back to the desert!

Good Morning!

We have now made the registration process a little clearer on one point. One GPSr per person will get you one registration packet per person. So if you have 4 GPSr's you wil have to have 4 (different) bodies attached to them. We are sorry if this dissapoints anyone but we want to try and keep it fair. If you have any extra GPSr's, invite your non-geocacher friends and show them how fun this sport can be!

We have also made the paper! The North County Times has run a story on the event. Please check it out here: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/columnists/c...html?mode=story

Good Morning!

We have now made the registration process a little clearer on one point. One GPSr per person will get you one registration packet per person. So if you have 4 GPSr's you wil have to have 4 (different) bodies attached to them. We are sorry if this dissapoints anyone but we want to try and keep it fair. If you have any extra GPSr's, invite your non-geocacher friends and show them how fun this sport can be!

We have also made the paper! The North County Times has run a story on the event. Please check it out here: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/columnists/c...html?mode=story

Sorry, I don't get it ... are the caches registered hides with a

Geocaching.com web page per cache or not? I note that this

question has been asked a couple of times before without being

answered.

Otherwise they aren't Geocaches, right? Nothing wrong with a

park-system day in the desert using GPS receivers but it surely

shouldn't be misrepresented. Geocaching.com finds or no finds?

So what's the deal, really?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Good Morning!

answered.

Not trying to answer for Jeff, but reading the event page, the 100 caches placed for the weekend look to be "Event" style caches. Placed soley for the event's duration and then to be recovered afterwards. I would guess they are not being listed as official geocaches; so no, no smiley if all 100 are found {unless you log 100 finds on the event! :/}. Although he does infer that some of those 100 will be made permanent, but not all, so possibly those that go live can be logged as found once or if they do go live?

Good Morning!

answered.

Not trying to answer for Jeff, but reading the event page, the 100 caches placed for the weekend look to be "Event" style caches. Placed soley for the event's duration and then to be recovered afterwards. I would guess they are not being listed as official geocaches; so no, no smiley if all 100 are found {unless you log 100 finds on the event! :/}. Although he does infer that some of those 100 will be made permanent, but not all, so possibly those that go live can be logged as found once or if they do go live?

Hello!

I am sorry we have not been too clear on this. Due to many issues we have only made 20 of the event caches permanent caches. They are hidden within the 100 "event caches" that are out there. So not only will you be earning raffle tickets, you might also find/be FTF on an official geocache. They will be going live on Saturday afternoon so if found during the event they can be logged. I hope I have answered your question! Please call me if you have any questions or concerns! 760-767-5772.

-Jeff

Good Morning!

answered.

Thanks, thought so, so they aren't Geocaches at all nor is

it a Geocaching Event and so shouldn't be claimed as such

to avoid confusion and conflict, yes?

A bit of fine-tuning on terminology is in order I should think.

Reminds me of a recent Union-Tribune article that seemed to

be about Geocaching but really wasn't. Five new hides were

mentioned in that article but no new hides were found through

Geocaching.com. Turned out that one must check into the park

visitor center and ask for coordinates to the park GPS course.

Of course no Geocaching.com services like profile statistics for

the park GPS hides. A strategic trend perhaps?

So in all honesty the Ocotillo Event is a nice day in the desert

hunting temporary containers, a raffle, and the usual fun and

sociability of a desert gathering.

For me I was just trying to parse between the lines in order to

understand the game-plan. My guess is that the policy of "No

Geocaches allowed within park boundaries" still applies, yes?

Spoonfull of sugar makes the medicine go down.

It is what it is so have a great time all.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Good Morning!

answered.

Thanks, thought so, so they aren't Geocaches at all nor is

it a Geocaching Event and so shouldn't be claimed as such

to avoid confusion and conflict, yes?

A bit of fine-tuning on terminology is in order I should think.

Reminds me of a recent Union-Tribune article that seemed to

be about Geocaching but really wasn't. Five new hides were

mentioned in that article but no new hides were found through

Geocaching.com. Turned out that one must check into the park

visitor center and ask for coordinates to the park GPS course.

Of course no Geocaching.com services like profile statistics for

the park GPS hides. A strategic trend perhaps?

It is a geocaching event and Jeff said that 20 will be permanent caches.

Being a moderate numbers hound, I would sure love it if all of the 100 caches were going to count. I'm also fighting against the urge to say we should simply log the Cache Event page multiple times according to the number of non-official GC raffle caches we find. But the practice of multiple logging on events always disturbed me when I saw it done in other states. Perhaps some of us reading this thread have even particpated in those heated conversations.

I, for one, am looking forward to this weekend for all of the reasons listed above.

Edited by dhsundance

Unfortunately you are thinking of the neighboring State Park that yes, unfortunately, still has the no geocaching policy. The people from this State Park are making an attempt to embrace geocaching within their regulated bounderies by holding a geocaching event. My hopes are that their neighbors will see what potentionally is a boon to the park and reconsider their policies regarding geocaching.

Of note: No, I will not be logging 100 finds on the event page :). Can't say the same for Piglit, you know those dogs seem to have their own ethics!

Unfortunately you are thinking of the neighboring State Park that yes, unfortunately, still has the no geocaching policy. The people from this State Park are making an attempt to embrace geocaching within their regulated bounderies by holding a geocaching event. My hopes are that their neighbors will see what potentionally is a boon to the park and reconsider their policies regarding geocaching.

Of note: No, I will not be logging 100 finds on the event page :). Can't say the same for Piglit, you know those dogs seem to have their own ethics!

Thanks pal, appreciate filling me in on this. Any step forward is

a good thing. For sure, everybody will have a great time.

Since it is not a numbers game for us cause we never seem to log much, I am looking forward to a fun day with friends that I have been away from too long. For those that I have not seen in a while, remember, blonds run amuck is not about hair color, its a state of mind!! lol!!

;) I saw you walking at lunch time in El Cajon on Monday.......I wanted to honk and wave, but I was worried about making you trip and fall...being blonde and all....

I hope to read all the posts to see what a good time we missed, It seems life is unfair. My Cx is giving me the Evil every time I put a new work related address in her. I hope to get our life back in control to one day be back out among you all wonderful people. Please post the good stuff.

Gene