Forums Are Useless Today

StaticTank

Close? After I've finally got this one to open up?

I feel your pain. I was trying to help another person with a Wherigo // VGA PPC issue (a whole different issue with Groundspeak's dragging of feet.) and it took a long, long time.

This was in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. A couple of hundred folks trying to use the forum and it was choking, when another forum I was on with over 3 million posts, 1 million registered users, and 5600 users online at the time was breezing along just fine--on a vBulletin script. Go figure.

I feel your pain. I was trying to help another person with a Wherigo // VGA PPC issue (a whole different issue with Groundspeak's dragging of feet.) and it took a long, long time.

This was in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. A couple of hundred folks trying to use the forum and it was choking, when another forum I was on with over 3 million posts, 1 million registered users, and 5600 users online at the time was breezing along just fine--on a vBulletin script. Go figure.

Yes close this one. There are about 5 more. I tried to post one and kept getting any error so I didn't think they went through...Since I couldn't view any topics and they didn't show up as the latest topic, I kept trying. Don't worry I bet there are about 5 more out there with a similar title. I was only able to post a note about closing them on two of them since I can't get back into look at them again... *sigh* will this never end?!?

StaticTank

Yes close this one. There are about 5 more. I tried to post one and kept getting any error so I didn't think they went through...Since I couldn't view any topics and they didn't show up as the latest topic, I kept trying. Don't worry I bet there are about 5 more out there with a similar title. I was only able to post a note about closing them on two of them since I can't get back into look at them again... *sigh* will this never end?!?

StaticTank

I discovered a query that the forums use over and over again which didn't have a good index so I created one. The forums feel much better, but I'm not convinced that the one query was causing all the issues. Please let me know if you continue to experience forum issues.

Thanks,

:) Elias

I wasn't able to get in at all last night, and again since around 9-10am (CST) today (about 10 hours).

It seems clear to me that these problems may not be resolved by the proposed forum update. What was different last night and today from all other recent days? I'd say that something is wrong with the database, most likely. Or perhaps (but less likely) the hardware.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I made the database change about an hour ago and I made my post right after I made the change. So what I'm asking for is feedback since that time. I believe I've addressed the major issue but its too soon to say for sure, so feedback will be helpful to let me know if there's been any improvement (or not).

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I made the database change about an hour ago and I made my post right after I made the change. So what I'm asking for is feedback since that time. I believe I've addressed the major issue but its too soon to say for sure, so feedback will be helpful to let me know if there's been any improvement (or not).

Elias

It's been impossible for me to get on to the fourm today, but as soon as you applied the fix it's been a breeze.

I discovered a query that the forums use over and over again which didn't have a good index so I created one. The forums feel much better, but I'm not convinced that the one query was causing all the issues. Please let me know if you continue to experience forum issues.

Thanks,

Only time will tell. When did you begin creating that new index? Perhaps that (building the new index) was why last night and today were so dismal?

Edited by knowschad
Only time will tell. When did you begin creating that new index? Perhaps that (building the new index) was why last night and today were so dismal?

The index was created at approximately 4:40 PM Pacific Time today (7/1/2009).

With 184 users logged in the forums are more responsive right now than they have been for weeks, months? find another or two like this and you won't be migrating the forums. Thanks for efforts, I know it can be quite frustrating at times.

Jim

:D Elias

So far it has been working flawlessly since your fix. If it does go down again how are we gonna let you know? Should we start a forum thread? :D:)

I assume you mean that is the time it completed, right? I'm guessing that you started sometime late yesterday afternoon.

For the first hour or so last night, I was getting a page that stated that the menus were disabled and the forum was offline. But that only lasted for a brief time. After that, I could *usually* get to the main menu page, but would time out when trying to access any of the forums. I was able, once again, to get in for a brief period this morning, but that was it.

I'm guessing that building the index was what caused the problems. But I will say that right now, at least, it is running like greased lightning! If your index was what caused the problems and the solution, I say, good for you, and you deserve a raise!

I assume you mean that is the time it completed, right? I'm guessing that you started sometime late yesterday afternoon.

<SNIP>

I'm guessing that building the index was what caused the problems. But I will say that right now, at least, it is running like greased lightning! If your index was what caused the problems and the solution, I say, good for you, and you deserve a raise!

Yes and no. The index only took about 10 minutes for the server to build so it was started around 4:30 PM today. I wasn't working on the forums last night, so I'm not sure what that was about.

<It was the 'topics' table and it has about 203,000 records>

I would have though after several years...there would have been more.

Do you archive/delete the records after a certain time period to free up space?

Those are topics. We have a little over 3.6 million posts, so that's an average of almost 18 posts per topic.

We don't delete or archive old topics or posts from the database.

<SNIP>

Yes and no. The index only took about 10 minutes for the server to build so it was started around 4:30 PM today. I wasn't working on the forums last night, so I'm not sure what that was about.

Well, that's really odd, since, as I said, I have been essentially unable to get in since sometime last night. But again... this is awesome right now. My hat is tipped to you, sir.

"See the forum posts for this user" returns an error.

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, the administrator has taken the search engine offline for the moment. Please try again later

Yeah, but I can live with that for now.

Ooh neato! The forums are up again- and fast as ever, too :D Now I can stop doing constructive things and resume lurking. :)

I blame Elias.

Didn't Elias say it was a the darn popcorn clogging up the vents in the servers case that caused the problem in the first place?

Ooh neato! The forums are up again- and fast as ever, too :D Now I can stop doing constructive things and resume lurking. :)

I blame Elias.

Didn't Elias say it was a the darn popcorn clogging up the vents in the servers case that caused the problem in the first place?

Well, I thought it was the raspberry ice cream, but in any case, I have a new problem:

I can't keep up! By the time I've finished coming up with a clever retort to one thread, I find that I'm five, six, or even seven posts behind! This is ridiculous! I have been on forums with MUCH more expensive software and hardware and have still been able to keep up with the retorts. And before Elias' recent changes, I could often come up with fairly good retorts overnight, but NOOOOOO.... not ANYMORE, ELIAS! THANKS A LOT, BUDDY!!!

Same experience as others. Couldn't get in at all yesterday and most of today, was fine after 6:30 pm PDT. I did not check in between 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. I'm cautiously optimistic :D Thanks for the update and the fix.

Edit : grammar

Edited by Chrysalides
I discovered a query that the forums use over and over again which didn't have a good index so I created one. The forums feel much better, but I'm not convinced that the one query was causing all the issues.

It's good that you found the issue. It was really weird that a higher-end forum platform was operating at a much lower level than a lesser platform. But, then again, not complete unexpected when you customize a package and aren't completely familiar with the inner workings.

This is something you might want to explore. In another ten years you're going to probably have posts approaching 9 digits. You'll have to start archiving sooner or later, whether it's a separate forum with closed threads or simple static pages. Do threads more than 1 or 2 years old really have to be available to be resurrected?

I blame Elias.

Well, I thought it was the raspberry ice cream, but in any case, I have a new problem:

I can't keep up! By the time I've finished coming up with a clever retort to one thread, I find that I'm five, six, or even seven posts behind! This is ridiculous! I have been on forums with MUCH more expensive software and hardware and have still been able to keep up with the retorts. And before Elias' recent changes, I could often come up with fairly good retorts overnight, but NOOOOOO.... not ANYMORE, ELIAS! THANKS A LOT, BUDDY!!!

A new version of being Wrastro'd perhaps? I can deliver treats to Elias if folks want to send money to my PayPal account. :D

This is something you might want to explore. In another ten years you're going to probably have posts approaching 9 digits. You'll have to start archiving sooner or later, whether it's a separate forum with closed threads or simple static pages. Do threads more than 1 or 2 years old really have to be available to be resurrected?

I'd certainly hope that old threads would at least be archived somewhere else to read. I love going back to the older threads and reading about what it was like in the "old days" before I started caching. That's also the best way sometimes to understand why certain things are the way they are.

Kudos on the fix Elias!!!! Hit it a few times from work and from home, best performance I've seen since I've been posting...

Thank you greatly... I was one of the major ones b!tching when it was broke, so I want to be a major one thanking you for the improvments!!!

Did I say thanks... :D