Adopting a Geocache

There is a cache that I would love to adopt by a cacher who has not found a cache since April of 2004 and has not logged on to the website since May of 2008. This cache is the only cache they own and they have 29 finds.

Is this reasoning sufficient for me to adopt their cache from them? What are the procedures and process for adopting a cache such as this?

I want to adopt a cache but the cache owner has become an Unvalidated Member, so I have no way to contact them. Should I just contact one of the reviewers for help?

No, you should file a "needs archive" log and let the reviewer remove the cache from the listing. You can then place your own cache.

Jim

I am also interested in adopting a cache where the owner has been inactive for sometime, and does not respond to emails. The cache container is MIA and needs to be replaced. The issue isn't that this cache is holding up the placement of a new hide, its the age of the cache. It was hidden 07.04.2001. I have noticed more and more of these "oldies" diapering each year, and would like to be able to adopt some to keep them alive. My fear is for the next generation of cachers, and the lack of these "oldies" for them to discover. Is there anything that can be done in these cases? :unsure:

I am also interested in adopting a cache where the owner has been inactive for sometime, and does not respond to emails. The cache container is MIA

If the cache is missing, there is nothing to adopt. It needs an NA log, then you can go and hide your own cache there. No point in unmaintained caches gummin' up the works.

I am also interested in adopting a cache where the owner has been inactive for sometime, and does not respond to emails. The cache container is MIA and needs to be replaced. The issue isn't that this cache is holding up the placement of a new hide, its the age of the cache. It was hidden 07.04.2001. I have noticed more and more of these "oldies" diapering each year, and would like to be able to adopt some to keep them alive. My fear is for the next generation of cachers, and the lack of these "oldies" for them to discover. Is there anything that can be done in these cases? :unsure:

I think the point pip-boy is making is that instead of archiving and placing a new cache, it would be nice to keep the original up and running...just because its been out there so long. History, you know?

In a case like this, can a reviewer step in and facilitate an adoption? I mean, once they have made reasonable attempts to reach the CO without success? Good question....

I think the point pip-boy is making is that instead of archiving and placing a new cache, it would be nice to keep the original up and running...just because its been out there so long. History, you know?

In a case like this, can a reviewer step in and facilitate an adoption? I mean, once they have made reasonable attempts to reach the CO without success? Good question....

Nope. Even the Lilypad won't do it. Adoptions must be initiated by the owner. If the CO is unresponsive, no adoption can occur. Period.

if the cache is missing and is now archived - I want to place a new cache in its place - it is part of a loop trail that has several caches along the route. Having this one missing is a big shame - I can easily maintain and place a new cache - but the how to go about it- contacting land manager etc seems baffling to me.

It would just be easier to take over the existing cache.