G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. ~ 2010

avroair

I see a distinct lack of midwestern cities in that list....perhaps somewhere like....Oklahoma city, Kansas City, Fort Smith, AR, or St. Louis?

:)

I could vote for St Louis if it's in the running

It's all very well to say you see a lack of cities from a region, but if no one is stepping up to the plate in that region... that would be the reason. Stepping up and then implementing a thorough proposal are requirements since we don't just want the event to land somewhere and have major organizing problems from the get go.

;)

What could be more Midwest than Milwaukee, Wisconsin! We have the hotel rooms, a large airport, tons of meeting space,and loads of interesting things to see and do around the city. We're also located within a 25 minute drive to West Bend, WI, the "geocaching capital of the midwest", which has over 500 caches within a 7 mile radius. Get the info to us and we'll pass it on to our neighbor, the mayor. We would even be willing to help out with the planning.

Edited by geo-anita-ashley

We'll lead off and post a little taste of our intentions a couple days ahead of the deadline ...

We have sent our information to the higher geocoin powers and will see who else is serious about hosting this event in the next few days I suppose.

In good sportsmanship manner... Good luck to all interested! :unsure:

That is a great presentation :unsure: , thanks for putting that together.

It's a great way to promote your region for those of us who know very little about it. We're rather partial to white sandy beaches and mazes!

It sure is a long way for us, but if you have the winning bid, it would mean the GCF has been spread out thoroughly with California, Pennsylvania, Utah and then your corner of the country.

The Minnesota Team has just sent off our proposal. We would also like to wish all those that are biding on the event, good luck. We know how much work it has been, and will be.

If you want a taste for what we have to offer, check out this video.

If that’s not enough for you, you can check out these power points A to Z to Do or A to Z Caching

Or to see it all, check out the web.

If you like caching, there are ~3,823 caches within 20 miles of the event. Can you get them all?

I see a distinct lack of midwestern cities in that list....perhaps somewhere like....Oklahoma city, Kansas City, Fort Smith, AR, or St. Louis?

:ph34r:

I guess I found this thread a tad too late but... :) The St. Louis Area Geocachers Association has hosted MEGA Events and will be hosting one again next year (MOGA 2010). G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. is a different kind of event than MOGA is. Personally I would love to see it here in my home town but I'm not sure if SLAGA would be able to manage two MEGA Events in one year. Even tho the events are months apart it would be hard to get everything organized (we are already hard at work on MOGA 2010 and that is not until April next year...).

That all being said, I hope that the location chosen will be closer to my home area (midwest) than the last four years. I have yet to be able to get to one because of distance & $$$. :rolleyes:

CF30

Couldn't there be 2 events simultaneously, one in the East and one in the West? Or, one in the Spring and one in the Fall in different parts of the country.

That way more people could attend. :rolleyes:

I doubt that the vendors could do two simultaneously, and it also might be a hardship for them to attend two of them in a year. Most of them also attend other mega events also.

:ph34r:

I guess I found this thread a tad too late but... :) The St. Louis Area Geocachers Association has hosted MEGA Events and will be hosting one again next year (MOGA 2010). G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. is a different kind of event than MOGA is. Personally I would love to see it here in my home town but I'm not sure if SLAGA would be able to manage two MEGA Events in one year. Even tho the events are months apart it would be hard to get everything organized (we are already hard at work on MOGA 2010 and that is not until April next year...).

That all being said, I hope that the location chosen will be closer to my home area (midwest) than the last four years. I have yet to be able to get to one because of distance & $$$. :rolleyes:

CF30

Minnesota is not very far from Missouri. We would love to see you here :)

Rumor has it Montana was picked :unsure:

You running it my dear? :o

Would this work or not?

1. Wonderful Area? YES

2. Responsible Person to run this? YES

3. Plenty of lodging? Maybe? ( tsun's house will need a add on!!! )

Would this not work?

1. Commitment to working event? Would tsunrisebey be able to work her vending both?

2. Commitment To year long work? Would there be time to make tsunrisebey coins during the next year?

3. Can she get her house done in time? Would she need to start now before winter hits?

HUMMMMMMMMMM

Edited by River Cacher

3. Can she get her house done in time? Would she need to start now before winter hits?

HUMMMMMMMMMM

Or just have it during February and significantly reduce the attendence. :unsure:

seems an event in Minn during Oct may have the same effect! :unsure:

... we have what is known as an "Indian Summer" during Oct/Nov and can guarantee "No Snow"!

:o sorry for the shameless plug and obvious pun.... I say we just flip a COIN??? :unsure: ...afterall it is a coin event!

Rumor has it Montana was picked :unsure:

You running it my dear? :unsure:

Would this work or not?

1. Wonderful Area? YES

2. Responsible Person to run this? YES

3. Plenty of lodging? Maybe? ( tsun's house will need a add on!!! )

Would this not work?

1. Commitment to working event? Would tsunrisebey be able to work her vending both?

2. Commitment To year long work? Would there be time to make tsunrisebey coins during the next year?

HUMMMMMMMMMM

Whoa.... lol.

The only 2 towns in MT that could potentially host a Mega would be Missoula and Billings :huh: Very few people could or would want to spend the $$$ to fly in and out of here not to mention if a Mega sized crowd did want to show up, there wouldn't be enough flights in 1 town, lol.

Anyhow... I joke a bit but you can count me as one of those people NOT crazy enough to want to take on an event of that magnitude :unsure: I don't envy any of those who take on that stuff, I just want to be an innocent bystander :o

An event in February here is almost always really, really cold. But hey, if you want to haul the wood from my wood pile into the house through over-your-head snowdrifts (no, I'm not kidding) at my place and enjoy huddling up around the wood stove, I'll host it. Someone will need to shovel every hour or so too, cause the wind is very annoying at undoing all the work. Oh yeah, make sure your vehicles have headbolt heaters or you'll be not be able to leave until late March or early April :D

Good luck to whoever gets the event! Looking forward to seeing who nabs it :D

Did MN win yet? Er um I mean, is the counting done yet?

Now, now...don't count count your coins before they're minted. :shocked: Last year the winner was announced at GCF...maybe Mark is waiting until then the announce??

Yep ~ the announcement will be at GCF. But I will give both of the finalist (and only two serious bidding groups) a heads up before then. :( Then at least I will know which way the coins aimed for my head will be coming from. :blink:

seems an event in Minn during Oct may have the same effect! :blink:

... we have what is known as an "Indian Summer" during Oct/Nov and can guarantee "No Snow"!

:shocked: sorry for the shameless plug and obvious pun.... I say we just flip a COIN??? :( ...afterall it is a coin event!

The weather in Minnesota is great in October! The fall colors should be around their peek. The temperature is great for caching. Our wonderful snow is still a month or two away.

But you can’t guarantee there will not be any Hurricanes! The event falls in the last month of your Hurricane season. I guess if you have enough coins you won’t be blown away.

I’m very proud of the presentation that our team has created. The team has put in a lot of work and is ready to put on a great event! I sorry that you feel you have to leave your possibility to chance.

:shocked: sorry for the shameless plug and obvious pun.... I say we just flip a COIN??? ;) ...afterall it is a coin event!

The weather in Minnesota is great in October! The fall colors should be around their peek. The temperature is great for caching. Our wonderful snow is still a month or two away.

But you can't guarantee there will not be any Hurricanes! The event falls in the last month of your Hurricane season. I guess if you have enough coins you won't be blown away.

I'm very proud of the presentation that our team has created. The team has put in a lot of work and is ready to put on a great event! I sorry that you feel you have to leave your possibility to chance.

whoa!... ummm.... last october hurricane here was 1890 something... pretty good odds I'd say of not having one... last october snow in Minn.? ...2007! :)

I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers... just poking a bit of friendly competitive fun your direction... I'm sure you and your team worked as hard as we did... kudos for that... as far as leaving our possibility to chance?... I'd say we were both in the same boat... :(

Our team is ready and confident we have what it takes to host the event...

:shocked: sorry for the shameless plug and obvious pun.... I say we just flip a COIN??? ;) ...afterall it is a coin event!

But you can't guarantee there will not be any Hurricanes! The event falls in the last month of your Hurricane season. I guess if you have enough coins you won't be blown away.

I'm very proud of the presentation that our team has created. The team has put in a lot of work and is ready to put on a great event! I sorry that you feel you have to leave your possibility to chance.

whoa!... ummm.... last october hurricane here was 1890 something... pretty good odds I'd say of not having one... last october snow in Minn.? ...2007! :)

I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers... just poking a bit of friendly competitive fun your direction... I'm sure you and your team worked as hard as we did... kudos for that... as far as leaving our possibility to chance?... I'd say we were both in the same boat... :(

Our team is ready and confident we have what it takes to host the event...

No feather ruffled here!

:( As the representative of T.O.G.G.A., we would like to congratulate the Minnesota team on becoming the hosts for next years event. We're sure NOSNOW and his team will do a great job and we want to wish them luck with it. Myself and members of our team are already making plans on attending. Although we are a bit disappointed we didn't win the bid, we understand we both couldn't host it.

Again, congrats and best of luck!

We hope to see everyone in Minnesota this time next year...

JB

On behalf of the Minnesota team I would like to thank the selection committee. We are sure it was a tough choice. We are very excited to show the Geocoin community what Minnesota has to offer. It’s not all cold and snow.

The 2009 Geocoinfest committee has set the bar high. They hosted a GREAT event, with a lot of fun had by all. We have our work cut out for us. We appreciated the generosity of both the 2008 and 2009 teams in sharing what they have experienced.

Please keep an eye on the forum or our web site www.geocoinfest2010.com for updates. Let me be the first to welcome you to Minnesota!

NOSNOW

On behalf of the Minnesota team I would like to thank the selection committee. We are sure it was a tough choice. We are very excited to show the Geocoin community what Minnesota has to offer. It's not all cold and snow.

The 2009 Geocoinfest committee has set the bar high. They hosted a GREAT event, with a lot of fun had by all. We have our work cut out for us. We appreciated the generosity of both the 2008 and 2009 teams in sharing what they have experienced.

Please keep an eye on the forum or our web site www.geocoinfest2010.com for updates. Let me be the first to welcome you to Minnesota!

NOSNOW

NoSnow that is a very nice introduction :(