G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. ~ 2010

avroair

With GCF SLC 2009, 100 days out, it's time to work on the destination for 2010!

I am certainly not having it in my backyard. So where should we have Geocoinfest in 2010. Anyone interested in hosting it? I have a cheat sheet if you are interested.

What it takes:

Team: A leadership team of 3-4 people

City: A destination that has broad appeal and accessible airports

Craziness and Energy: A lil of both!

Past events:

Geocoin Fest Salt Lake City 2009

Geocoin Fest Pittsburgh 2008

Geocoin Fest Multi Events

Geocoinfest Temecula, CA 2007

I would love to see this in Boise but Salt Lake is hosting it this year and it would be nice to see it move further away next year and then have Boise try in a few years to get it.

I have a perfect place or two to choose from in downtown Boise that is ideal for this event.

The number one location should be at the Owyhee Plaza or Boise center on the grove.

Boise has so much to offer and i hope to be involved with trying to get this brought to Boise in the future.

I am also getting good experience helping out with the Salt Lake GCF.

Portland Oregon would also be a outstanding place for this event as it has so much to offer as well.

I wish the best of Luck to whoever gets it and i am willing to travel and help who ever with this event next year.

Edited by River Cacher

Panama City and the NW Florida Panhandle would gladly welcome G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. ~ 2010 to our area for this event.

sugar white sand, emerald green waters and geocoins! ...life is good!

What could be better than a :) G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. :D B.E.A.C.H. :D B.A.S.H. :D

The last time i was in Chicago was for the Taste of Chicago and WOW that event is amazing.

This area does have so much to offer and the Flights as mentioned are probally the cheapest for so many and the town is well set up and is used to hosting all types of events.

May I suggest the Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis?

The Twin Cities offer a wonderful and diverse area for caching. From urban micro to rural large ammo cans. We are the home to one of the most prolific hider, King Boreas.

The MSP Airport in 2009 was named the Best Large Airport in North America based on Airports Council International - North America's Airport Service Quality traveler survey. Airlines out of Minneapolis/St. Paul International airport serve 131 nonstop markets from MSP, including 116 domestic and 14 international markets. Making the Twin Cities an easy destination to get to.

If you get your fill of caching the Twin Cities has a lot to offer. If you are a shopper then Mall of America might interest you. Even if you’re not a shopper MOA has lots to offer like Nickelodeon Universe, the nation’s largest indoor family theme park; Underwater Adventure, the world largest underground aquarium; A.C.E.S Flight Simulation, where you can fly an F/A-18 hornet, F\P-51 Mustang or a F4U Corsair. To name just a few of the attraction at MOA, Google Mall Of America for more attractions.

If water is your thing, then close to the MOA is Water Park of America which might be your destination. Or remember Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, even if the number of lakes is actually closer to 15,000 but who’s counting.

Or you could check out the sites in two of America's premier cities while you're here. In Minneapolis you can take in a play at the famous Guthrie Theatre, State Theatre, Orpheum Theatre or Children's Theatre. See fine art at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts or the Walker Art Center. Check out the great shops and restaurants along Hennepin Avenue. Or cheer the feats of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Lynx, Twins or Vikings.

Don't stop there. Minnesota's capital city, St. Paul, offers its own treasures for visitors. Take the family to Como Zoo, the Minnesota Children's Museum or the Science Museum of Minnesota. See the Minnesota Wild take to the ice. Cruise the Mississippi on a paddleboat. Or experience live performances at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts or any of the city's other renowned theaters.

Minnesota also has lot of other outdoor stuff to do that can be found at Explore Minnesota.

The Twin Cities have many locations that could service the wild group of coiners. We have started a committee of eager member and should have more information to follow.

Thanks for considering the Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Edited by NOSNOW

Lots of great suggestions... I would prefer it was not too close to Salt Lake City (this year's venue), neither the South or the Midwest have hosted the event before. :unsure: (that doesn't rule out the east or the west though).

Anyone willing to step up to the plate?

I'd like to put it forward Memphis, TN for 2010. Memphis has an international airport and there are ample hotels of all price ranges in and around Memphis. If you like the nighttlife, you can go down to Beale Street for some blues music or the more commerical bar/clubs - there are both. If you want to escape the crowds, there are some nice natural areas that surround the city. And if you want to visit the King, Graceland is there, too!

I know there are some active cachers both in Memphis and all along the Mississippi Delta in TN, AR and northwest Mississippi.

Panama City Beach, Florida is a great destination!

We have it all: A super tourist spot with white beaches, plenty of motels, campgrounds and places to stay, a well oiled committee that works together to organize events and plays well together, and hundreds of caches in a small area.

Come on down to the beach! We'll be looking for you.

DotnFL

Is there anything that says this has to stay in the US? Could this go to Canada?

It could, but they ran around in circles last time trying to get a bid together. ;)

Canada, eh. My backyard is open. We have 15 acres of field. With a few tents it would be lots of fun. People could camp right there too. :drama:

Is there anything that says this has to stay in the US? Could this go to Canada?

It could, but they ran around in circles last time trying to get a bid together. ;)

Canada, eh. My backyard is open. We have 15 acres of field. With a few tents it would be lots of fun. People could camp right there too. :drama:

I had to look you up -- looks like you are close to Ottawa which has an airport. That would be AWESOME having it in Ontario! But now I'm just saying that for selfish reasons! lol! Though if someone wanted to put a bid together, I would certainly do my best to help if I can!

A mega event in your backyard? LOL But at least its close enough that I could attend....

Are any of these cities actually putting a bid together or is this more of a "I would like to go to <insert city here> even though I don't live there and no one from there is interested in putting a bid together" kind of thread?

It seems every year this comes up people put forth their wishes even though there isn't a group to do the event. Maybe we should let the people who are interested in actually doing the event post they are interested and we can get feedback on those cities. Seems that may be more beneficial to the committee voting on these things rather than a massive wish list that just is as random as throwing darts at a map.

Are any of these cities actually putting a bid together or is this more of a "I would like to go to <insert city here> even though I don't live there and no one from there is interested in putting a bid together" kind of thread?

It seems every year this comes up people put forth their wishes even though there isn't a group to do the event. Maybe we should let the people who are interested in actually doing the event post they are interested and we can get feedback on those cities. Seems that may be more beneficial to the committee voting on these things rather than a massive wish list that just is as random as throwing darts at a map.

I for one have put our area up as a legitimate location to host this event.

1.) Being an early October event , and 'offseason' for our area, the motel/hotels/condos are abundant and cheap.

2.) Our new international airport(scheduled to open in spring of 2010) should have some great deals from it's carriers.

3.) Weather won't be an issue, (with the exception of rain) our average temp in Oct is between 70-80

4.) As mentioned we have a great group of cachers willing to help in any way needed.

5.) We have caches throughout the panhandle for everyone from the numbers hound, the P&G'er, the 5 mile hiker/biker, the puzzle heads and even the serial finders.

I've got another thing or two in the works that I wanted to get more concrete information on before I posted anything else. My first post was just to get our area out as being interested as hosting the event and this post is to let others know that we are a serious contender to host this event and not just a place of interest that someone else wants to go see.I'll post the other info or PM avroair when I'm ready to reveal the other info on the matter.

We would love the opportunity to showcase our area with this event and show the coin community some good 'ol southern hospitality.... :drama:

I for one have put our area up as a legitimate location to host this event.

1.) Being an early October event , and 'offseason' for our area, the motel/hotels/condos are abundant and cheap.

2.) Our new international airport(scheduled to open in spring of 2010) should have some great deals from it's carriers.

3.) Weather won't be an issue, (with the exception of rain) our average temp in Oct is between 70-80

4.) As mentioned we have a great group of cachers willing to help in any way needed.

5.) We have caches throughout the panhandle for everyone from the numbers hound, the P&G'er, the 5 mile hiker/biker, the puzzle heads and even the serial finders.

We would love the opportunity to showcase our area with this event and show the coin community some good 'ol southern hospitality.... :drama:

We have a great group of cachers in this area that would be enthusiastic about working on this event. I am certain that we could draw from the states around Panama City as they migrate here for vacations and visits often. Please give us consideration and we will be happy to show you the diversity that this Panhandle location has to offer.

For anyone who's curious, or thinks it would be "cool" to have GCF 2010 in their city...it honestly takes more than a good location and your collecting enthusiasm to make this event work. I think what Avroair et al, are looking to do here is to give everyone an opportunity to literally take that enthusiasm to the next level.

What everyone can do is to start spreading the word *NOW* to your local geocaching organizations and get people on board. Get some real feedback from local cachers and determine if the whole area's behind it, or just sitting back and waiting for you to do all the work.

I've been fortunate to see a slight glimpse of the planning beneath each of the three GCF's, and I can tell you that all three groups of organizers have had to treat the entire process like a part-time job that gradually becomes their full-time job!

For anyone who's curious, or thinks it would be "cool" to have GCF 2010 in their city...it honestly takes more than a good location and your collecting enthusiasm to make this event work. I think what Avroair et al, are looking to do here is to give everyone an opportunity to literally take that enthusiasm to the next level.

What everyone can do is to start spreading the word *NOW* to your local geocaching organizations and get people on board. Get some real feedback from local cachers and determine if the whole area's behind it, or just sitting back and waiting for you to do all the work.

I've been fortunate to see a slight glimpse of the planning beneath each of the three GCF's, and I can tell you that all three groups of organizers have had to treat the entire process like a part-time job that gradually becomes their full-time job!

LionsLair has already started the ball to rolling with spreading the word and some of the rest of us will be doing the same.

Edited by PWCinPC

NYC

Well, it isn't Avroairs backyard anymore... I think it'd be cool to have it here, but it will be a lot of work to put together, I'll help out if others are interested too.

I like the FL idea <_< Florida's a cheap flight from NY/NJ and nice... or the Canada idea! I love Canada & have never been to Ottawa, it's a (relatively) short drive too, I could easily convince PK to go! Of course this is just my personal greedy opinion of where I'd like to go :)

all three groups of organizers have had to treat the entire process like a part-time job that gradually becomes their full-time job!

And certainly no overtime is paid! Its fun, very time comsuming, yet fulfilling. The event team is the most important aspect of any bid. The first question asked being, can they pull it off?

all three groups of organizers have had to treat the entire process like a part-time job that gradually becomes their full-time job!

And certainly no overtime is paid! Its fun, very time comsuming, yet fulfilling. The event team is the most important aspect of any bid. The first question asked being, can they pull it off?

Being that there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. I'd like to say that we're confident our group of volunteers has what it takes to ensure the event would be a success in our area. Not only would we be honored to host it, we would consider it a priviledge.

As far as the time investment, well... you said it all with "....yet fulfilling..."

We are aware of the time commitment and are prepared for it.

Being that there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. I'd like to say that we're confident our group of volunteers has what it takes to ensure the event would be a success in our area. Not only would we be honored to host it, we would consider it a priviledge.

As far as the time investment, well... you said it all with "....yet fulfilling..."

We are aware of the time commitment and are prepared for it.

BUMP! Back to the front page. :ph34r:

Rather than having the G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. ~ 2010 in a really large city where it can get lost in all the other things going on, why no have it in a little bit smaller city.

Here in Augusta, Ga, we have a great little place downtown call The Augusta Commons.

We have plenty of hotels within walking distance of the Commons, and most all of them have shuttles that go to and from the airport.

I think this would make a wonderful venue for the G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. ~ 2010. It's not to far out of the way and not that expensive.

We have several hundred caches in a very short distance of the downtown area. A great many of them within walking distance of the Commons.

We also have a very strong fallowing here in the Augusta area. We hold regular monthly meetings with more than 50 in attendance every month.

Yep. I can say that's 100% true. It's been a crazy ride. I can't wait to see where it's going to be next year. :ph34r:

So far it seems there is interest in Florida, Georgia, Minnesota, California and Alabama. If people would like to get together a team and present a formal bid (I can forward you a cheat sheet) or ask Pghlooking, DresselDragons or IMFrog2002 what they did... bribes, won't work, but are certainly welcome. :D

So far it seems there is interest in Florida, Georgia, Minnesota, California and Alabama. If people would like to get together a team and present a formal bid (I can forward you a cheat sheet) or ask Pghlooking, DresselDragons or IMFrog2002 what they did... bribes, won't work, but are certainly welcome. :D

WOW! Avroair, I can't believe it, your going to bribe us to do the event. How Much you going to send? :laughing:;);):D:anitongue::anitongue::anitongue:

:D

If people would like more information let me know. otherwise, feel free to put together a 'hosting packet' bid and send it to me. Bids will be due by the end of August.

Just an update to let you know the Minnesota Group is working diligently on our proposal.

October is one of the best times to be in Minnesota. Warm days (not hot, not cold), cool nights. Bugs are gone; the leaves are in full color.

The Twin Cities is so close to Wisconsin you can easily do caching in both states. If you are up for a little jaunt, you might choose to pick up Iowa, North & South Dakota.

Or you can just stay close to the GeocoinFest location site, lots of non-caching activities too!!