Garmin Colorado & gmapsupp.img

I have a Colorado 300.

I have tried to get various maps (.img files) on to the unit. I have put them onto an SD card and also onto the unit directly but I cannt get them to show up to turn them on/off on the GPS.

Yes, I am putting the gmapsupp.img into the \Garmin\ folder on the card and also on the unit directly.

I have also tried them with gmapbmap.img and gmapprom.img.

I have created gmapsupp.img files with mkgmap and also downloaded maps from different places (Cloudmade & gpsfiledepot.com, and others).

Nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--

Chris

Edited by chrisca

Chris,

You don't mention Mapsource, the most common way one makes gmapsupp.img and/or installs the file to either the card or GPS. I suspect, but don't know for sure, something wrong with the gmapsupp.img file.

Having gmapsupp.img in the folder Garmin works for me on my Colo 300's SD card.

I have a Mac so no Mapsource.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, something wrong with the gmapsupp.img file.

That was my thought but I can copy the gmapsupp.img file from the GPS to the card, rename the gmapsupp.img on the GPS and it will not work.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, something wrong with the gmapsupp.img file.

It's not one file in particular. It is any gmapspp.img file at all.

:)

Are you tuning the maps on? From the map screen, left button, then bottom choice.

That's the problem. They do not show up there at all.

The only ones that do show up are the maps (which are .gmapi files) I installed using MapInstall.

If I replace the gmapsupp.img on the GPS with another gmapsupp.img, the only map choice is the basemap.

If I replace the gmapbmap.img (basemap) or add a gmapprom.img on the GPS with one of these downloaded maps, it does not show up on the GPS to select.

Edited by chrisca

I just did an experiment with Colorado Beta 2.94 and was able to rename and put Topo and Metroguide on the SD card and have them display on the unit.(have an existing City Navigator map called gmapsupp.img already on the SD card) Beta 2.94 will allow you to call the files anything you want as long as it ends in .img , as an example I called the files topo.img and metroguide.img . This is a huge plus as you could have dozens of seperate maps loaded onto your SD card.

Yes, I use that but it doesn not help if I only have a .img file. It adds maps already installed into Roadtrip.

It's hard to help you when you withhold the information needed to assess your situation.

What gpsfiledepot map did you download? Not all of them can be loaded to a Colorado. Did you download the Windows or Macintosh version?

Did you install that map on you computer? Does it show up in RoadTrip? Cloudmade has several file formats available for download. Did you get the correct one? How are you running mkgmap? What command have you used? Are you just renaming a numbered.img file to gmapsupp.img and copying that to one of the Garmin drives? After replacing the gmapsupp.img on a Garmin drive with another gmapsupp.img file are you emptying the trash on your Macintosh? It's hard to duplicate a problem when pertinent information is lacking.

Edited by coggins
What gpsfiledepot map did you download?

Did you download the Windows or Macintosh version?

Neither. I downloaded the Garmin version gmapsupp.img.

I have created gmapsupp.img files with mkgmap. Those don't work.

Did you install that map on you computer? Does it show up in RoadTrip?

Can't. It's a gmapsupp.img file. It is not a .gmapi file which is loaded into Roadtrip.

Cloudmade has several file formats available for download. Did you get the correct one?

Yes. It extracts as a gmapsupp.img file

How are you running mkgmap? What command have you used?

If I create a gmapsupp.img file from osm data using the --gmapsupp option, it creates the file fine but will not do anything on the GPS. If I use the --tdb option then use Gmapibuilder to create a Macintosh .gmapi installer file, it installs with RoadTrip fine using MapManager. MapInstall works to get it onto the GPS.

If I use java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp 1.img 2.img, with 1.img being the original gmapsuipp.img rename to 1.img, the resulting gmapsupp.img does not work on the GPS.

Are you just renaming a numbered.img file to gmapsupp.img and copying that to one of the Garmin drives?

Yes, I have tried renaming a numbered file as well as using a regular gmapsupp.img.

If I copy the original gmapsupp.img file from the GPS to the SD card (into the Garmin\ folder), then rename the original gmapsupp.img file to something else, the only map that shows and is slectable is the basemap.

After replacing the gmapsupp.img on a Garmin drive with another gmapsupp.img file are you emptying the trash on your Macintosh?

Yes.

Edited by chrisca
What gpsfiledepot map did you download?

???

Did you download the Windows or Macintosh version?

Neither. I downloaded the Garming version gmapsupp.img.

I have created gmapsupp.img files with mkgmap. Those don't work.

As this question is directed at the gpsfiledepot download, the answer doesn't apply.

Did you install that map on you computer? Does it show up in RoadTrip?

Can't. It's a gmapsupp.img file. It is not a .gmapi file which is loaded into Roadtrip.

Once again, the answer doesn't relate to the Windows or Macintosh download of a gpsfiledepot map.

Cloudmade has several file formats available for download. Did you get the correct one?

Yes. It extracts as a gmapsupp.img file

That would be the OSM err edition. Good luck with it on a Colorado.

How are you running mkgmap? What command have you used?

If I create a gmapsupp.img file from osm data using the --gmapsupp option, it creates the file fine but will not do anything on the GPS. If I use the --tdb option then use Gmapibuilder to create a Macintosh .gmapi installer file, it installs with RoadTrip fine using MapManager. MapInstall works to get it onto the GPS.

If I use java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp 1.img 2.img, with 1.img being the original gmapsuipp.img rename to 1.img, the resulting gmapsupp.img does not work on the GPS.

Sounds like you have a way to get the maps installed on your computer and sent via MapManager to your GPS. Is there some other reason you feel the need to turn a screw with a hammer?

Are you just renaming a numbered.img file to gmapsupp.img and copying that to one of the Garmin drives?

Yes, I have tried renaming a numbered file as well as using a regular gmapsupp.img.

If I copy the original gmapsupp.img file from the GPS to the SD card (into the Garmin\ folder), then rename the original gmapsupp.img file to something else, the only map that shows and is slectable is the basemap.

That sounds pretty normal.

After replacing the gmapsupp.img on a Garmin drive with another gmapsupp.img file are you emptying the trash on your Macintosh?

Yes.

Didn't see any mention of the Software version you are running on the Colorado. might be an issue there.

Edited by coggins
That sound pretty normal.

So it's normal for a working gmapsupp.img file to not work on an SD card?

Didn't see any mention of the Software version you are running on the Colorado. might be an issue there.

So there is nothing I can do to get any .img file working on my Colorado/Mac unless the .img file is created and installed with MapInstall?

That sound pretty normal.

Sounds like you have a way to get the maps installed on your computer and sent via MapManager to your GPS. Is there some other reason you feel the need to turn a screw with a hammer?

I don't understand.

MapManager only installs the maps into RoadTrip.

MapInstall only takes the RoadTrip maps and install them onto the GPS.

Am I missing something?

So there is nothing I can do to get any .img file working on my Colorado/Mac unless the .img file is created and installed with MapInstall?

That sounds pretty normal.

I can make a gmapsupp.img file that will work on only my gps and not yours. Just renaming and moving files doesn't always work. Maybe these folks can help you: 1-800-800-1020 Edited by coggins