etiquette for when you need a hint?

annamc

Heya! I was wondering if I can ask an etiquette question. I was out this morning looking for HOLLOW CACHE at Lincoln Park in Seattle. GC1MH58

I looked and looked (and so did my kids) and we couldn't find it at all. So I read the logs and everyone else is like "I waltzed in and saw it immediately". So I'm thinking we're pretty bad lookers!

It's densely wooded, and I think my GPS was off. Dunno.

So my question is, is it bad form to ask for hints? I'd love to go back and find this thing, but honestly, we looked everywhere we could think of! I think I need advice from someone, not just looking in the same places again!

Is this allowed, to ask for hints?

Thanks!

Anna

I had just the opposite occur. I searched for a cache and didn't find it. Logged it DNF and the owner sent me an email asking if I wanted a hint. I declined as I wanted to go back and play a hunch I have, but I also told the CO that I appreciated the offer, and if I couldn't find it later I would contact them for a hint.

Edited by ngrrfan

I had just the opposite occur. I searched for a cache and didn't find it. Logged it DNF and the owner sent me an email asking if I wanted a hint. I declined as I wanted to go back and play a hunch I have, but I also told the CO that I appreciated the offer, and if I couldn't find it later I would contact them for a hint.

I had the same thing happen to me. I logged a DNF on the first cache I attempted and received email from the CO that not only asked if I wanted a hint, but included his cell phone number and welcomed me to call if I had difficulty with any of his caches (I never did take him up on the offer).

Now, whenever I see a log on one of my caches which mentions that it was their first cache I send out a Welcome to the game message.

I had the same thing happen to me. I logged a DNF on the first cache I attempted and received email from the CO that not only asked if I wanted a hint, but included his cell phone number and welcomed me to call if I had difficulty with any of his caches (I never did take him up on the offer).

Now, whenever I see a log on one of my caches which mentions that it was their first cache I send out a Welcome to the game message.

Yeah, I am pretty new, and I had a cache owner send me hints for 2 in a series I DNF'd. They had both been muggled before, and apparently are there, so they sent a bit of a hint. I appreciate it, and sent back letting them know!

Some owners will do this, some won't. You may want to try something else, and come back to that one after you have more experience at finding! I have stated that on most of my DNF's, that I will be back after I am more experienced. :)

what does the community think about the other side of the coin? I logged a find and then was asked to provide a hint from another cacher who hadn't found it. Is it proper to offer a hint if it's not your cache?

I think this depends on your "relationship" with the person. It's one thing for a friend you know to ask for a hint if you know they've tried to find it. It is another thing for "me" (who you don't know) to ask you.

So in the first case, where I know the person, I'll ask them a few questions like "Did you look high?" or "Did you see a pile of (rocks, sticks, dirt, whatever)?" or.... "There's a clue in the name or description. Reread it and think about it."

If it is a total stranger I might give a very vague hint, which will help but won't give too much away.

Heya! I was wondering if I can ask an etiquette question. I was out this morning looking for HOLLOW CACHE at Lincoln Park in Seattle. GC1MH58

I looked and looked (and so did my kids) and we couldn't find it at all. So I read the logs and everyone else is like "I waltzed in and saw it immediately". So I'm thinking we're pretty bad lookers!

It's densely wooded, and I think my GPS was off. Dunno.

So my question is, is it bad form to ask for hints? I'd love to go back and find this thing, but honestly, we looked everywhere we could think of! I think I need advice from someone, not just looking in the same places again!

Is this allowed, to ask for hints?

Thanks!

Anna

This is supposed to be a pretty easy hide so I would suggest you contact the owner and explain where you searched. I would expect you will get some sort of a hint or suggestion. Worst case would be they say no.

From looking at the cache page I would assume it is in a hollow stump or log, but I haven't searched for it, so take my idea for what it is worth. If I am right you owe me a smilie. :)

I've asked for hints in the past. I usually include details that provide the cache owner (CO) with enough info that they know that I really did search.

I had one recently that seemed so logical (a multi, stage 1) but I didn't have a flashlight and overlooked the container. I did find a metal tag nailed to a tree (still don't know why) and included that info in my e-mail to the CO. He knew of the tag, and gave me a nice hint.

I've had other cases as well - most cachers will give you a bone for traditionals that just allude you. Sometimes its a mindset or thinking about a cache wrong that gets you stumped (pun intended). The CO may be able to put you back on track without totally giving it away.

As a kid my mantra was "never hurts to ask" (then ask the other parent if the results weren't what you wanted).

I got a welcome to the game e-mail on my first cache!!! And it made me feel so welcome! We've become pretty good e-mail buddies and I can always ask him for advice. I have also e-mailed a couple of cach owners for a hint and they have always been happy to give one. A friend of mine said she e-mailed someone once and they told her no, that it wouldn't be fair to those who found it. So, you just never know but I would still ask if you really needed one.

I think the Cache Owner's willingness to provide hints will probably depend on the difficulty level that s/he assigned to the cache in the first place. For my 1.0 and 1.5 difficulty caches, I'll do everything short of meeting the seeker at the posted coords to walk them through it in order to help them make the find. If I ever place a 4 or 5, I'll be much more stingy with assistance.

Speaking of etiquette,

I've been asked by other seekers who know from the logs that I found a cache, for information. Not exactly hints, but help. Questions such as "Is the solution to this puzzle correct? I've got a long drive and don't want to be disappointed" or "Could you put my TB back into XYZ cache and log it..."

I always respond quickly and cheerfully. But I very rarely get a "thank you" back from the requesters. Folks, if you want help, please remember to be polite...especially when you receive it.

We recently contacted a cache owner for a hint for Suzy the Tiger. How we missed this I will never know, but twice we checked the location.....obviously not very well. On our second visit, we did go and visit Suzy (a tiger) so all was not lost. Thanks to the cache owner, who just provided the intersection where we had been...we found it. Now we are looking for a nano in ivy........................

We also have what is laughingly referred to as dial-a-cacher...where we will phone a friend for a hint...

Edited by popokiiti

Each time I log a DNF I put that cache on my watch list. If others log DNFs I know I am not alone. Secondly, it's possible to pick up clues from other peoples logs. Sometimes it is just an innocent comment that will trigger a hunch or new perspective about a cache.

Make sure your gz reading is correct. I've been off by 400 ft more than once. I approach mark from a different starting point sometimes. If there are valleys and ofcourse hills in area signals can bounce. If your near a house and getting strange looks walk away. I AM TERRY

I looked and looked (and so did my kids) and we couldn't find it at all.

Anna,

I've never asked for hints, and if a cache has no "Additional Hints", I mentally add a star or two to their posted difficulty. If I need hints, they need to include the hints (encrypted) in the first place -- be considerate of the clueless like me who may have trouble finding it. If they didn’t include extra hints, the Cache Owners certainly know it’s possible that people won’t find it, and be stuck. It’s just me, but I’m kinda rebelling against tough caches which are advertised as easy -- I don’t beg for hints (but it’s fine for you, if you want to). I think that maybe someday it will all "click", and I'll inherit a mystical Cache Sense. But the cache you mention has some extra info right in the description. So you should expect to follow the instructions, and find it after a brief, if somewhat methodical search.

And you MUST type a log there! Where’s your “Did Not Find”? If you saw a few DNFs, you might suspect that some people find it’s tougher than described. And your own post will be useful info to others.

Did you at least find the objects mentioned -- like “Go to the (X) then go south for 30 feet”, or whatever, and you just couldn’t even find the “X”? If the trail has changed, it’s useful to note that. The next poor soul who plans to visit may appreciate to know that a search of (wherever you looked) isn’t the way to go.

Edited by kunarion

One additional suggestion that we didn't see mentioned so far (it was there, we some how missed it):

After logging your Didn't Find It, let the cache owner know what steps you have taken to find the cache.

Is this a puzzle cache? If so, provide the coordinates you are using (if they are not already verified). How long did you spend looking? Were you searching along or in a group (of how many)?

While showing the cache owner you have made a reasonable effort will not guarantee getting a good hint, it will certianly help your situation. Of course a "reasonable effort" will vary from cache to cache and from owner to owner. For instance, a reasonable effort for 1 difficulty regular size is much less that a 5 difficulty micro.

We are more willing to share hints when the cacher has provided substantial details regarding their efforts in then logs. Particularly if they have multiple, but still detailed didn't find it logs.

Excellent advice for caches in general. For the specific cache in question I would suggest a simple email to the owner asking for a hint since a DNF was posted and there have been several finds since by other cachers. This appears to be a case of a newbie needing some help on what should be an easy cache. I would expect the owner to happily provide some assistance.

We will gladly provide a hint as long as the seeker truely looks for the cache first and writes a DNF log entry. We've had some seekers ask for hints without posting a DNF. We told them, politely, that they would need to post a DNF prior to receiving the hint. They have always complied.

Also, all hints should be given by the cache owner. No exceptions. We believe the cache finders have an obligation to keep the cache location to themselves.