Loading multiple addresses as waypoints

Hi There,

I have been asked to see if it is possible to load multiple addresses on to a Nuvi unit in one upload.

I of coarse do not have the abilities to program something like this. (or anything for that matter) :)

I was wondering if there was a program that would use Excel, word etc to program way points using Name, address & Postal/Zip codes.

Thanks in advance.

G

The trick is to generate coordinates from addresses. Then you can use a host of free applications to download them (i.e. EasyGPS). Excell will work too, as csv files, but you must download Garmin's free POILoader to install the waypoints.

For some lame reason, probably a cost-cutting reason, Garmin does not include a CD/DVD copy of the maps installed in their GPS'. However, I've read they will send you a copy for the asking. Their software is called MapSource and it's quite useful. The mapping software found in most US Nuvi models is City Navigator North America NT. You can find ways to download MapSource free. However, you still need the mapping software to be able to create waypoints from addresses. A big downside is you can't manipulate these POI-created waypoints in your GPS - you have to use the POILoader to erase/modify them.

So, you're looking at a two-step process: get coordinates from addresses, then use an application to create the waypoints. There are some applications where you can obtain the coordinates from addresses (i.e. Google Earth).

It's alot easier to get the DVD copy of the maps installed in your GPS. It will come with MapSource. If you are willing to wait a little bit, get the upcoming 2010 update maps. They will run from $80-90. You will get MapSource and a fresh set of maps.

Edited by Chuy!

The trick is to generate coordinates from addresses. Then you can use a host of free applications to download them (i.e. EasyGPS). Excell will work too, as csv files, but you must download Garmin's free POILoader to install the waypoints.

For some lame reason, probably a cost-cutting reason, Garmin does not include a CD/DVD copy of the maps installed in their GPS'. However, I've read they will send you a copy for the asking. Their software is called MapSource and it's quite useful. The mapping software found in most US Nuvi models is City Navigator North America NT. You can find ways to download MapSource free. However, you still need the mapping software to be able to create waypoints from addresses. A big downside is you can't manipulate these POI-created waypoints in your GPS - you have to use the POILoader to erase/modify them.

So, you're looking at a two-step process: get coordinates from addresses, then use an application to create the waypoints. There are some applications where you can obtain the coordinates from addresses (i.e. Google Earth).

It's alot easier to get the DVD copy of the maps installed in your GPS. It will come with MapSource. If you are willing to wait a little bit, get the upcoming 2010 update maps. They will run from $80-90. You will get MapSource and a fresh set of maps.

Thank you everyone.

I will give this a try tomorrow.

G

The GPSvisualizer I mentioned above will do both in one step and for free.