Hot Weather

I am very new to this sport so I am sorry if I am teaching people to suck eggs.

I just thought everyone should be aware that there are a large amount of Adders on the hills this Summer

especially with the recent heat wave we are experiencing.

I felt it was important those that enjoy this sport as a family outing and those that take their dogs with them should take extra care.

I found 3 Adders soaking up the sun on the footpath today on the South Downs.

Be careful when searching for caches in trees and grassy areas.

Lots of water Sun cream and hats

etrexmel

I just thought everyone should be aware that there are a large amount of Adders on the hills this Summer

I felt it was important those that enjoy this sport as a family outing and those that take their dogs with them should take extra care.

etrexmel

Just to show my ignorance on all things snakey... Are they poisonous? If so, how poisonous?

Cheers,

J

What exactly is an Adder, is that just the UK name for a Snake or is it a certian type???

I tried to wiki it, but there wasn't a great deal of info...

I pretty much don't like any snakes, poisonous or not... They just creep me out...

We do a bit of camping, float trips, ride our wave runners and go to our cabin on weekends (when we can all get off work and have gas money), so I spend a lot of time outside; In the woods and areas near woods and water I've noticed an increase in snakes and spiders in the last month or so....

Edited by solo63137
What exactly is an Adder, is that just the UK name for a Snake or is it a certian type???

I tried to wiki it, but there wasn't a great deal of info...

I pretty much don't like any snakes, poisonous or not... They just creep me out...

We do a bit of camping, float trips, ride our wave runners and go to our cabin on weekends (when we can all get off work and have gas money), so I spend a lot of time outside; In the woods and areas near woods and water I've noticed an increase in snakes and spiders in the last month or so....

Its the only poisonous snake we have. It is a type of Viper. They are fairly small and will always try to get away, not like some of the snakes you get in hotter countries which will stand their ground/come looking in peoples homes/tents etc.

Welcome to the game and the forums etrexhmel.

Yes, this is a subject which has been brought up a few times before :)

There is an interesting thread at this link on snakes.

This link will show you lots of threads which chat about many caching hazards.

Actually, in the stormy weather the adders are less visible as they don't like the rain much in terms of basking. :D

I've always wanted to see an adder but never have. Plenty of grass snakes, slow worms and lizards but never an adder. I'd consider myself quite lucky if I spotted one while caching. If anyone knows of a cache in the south west or south wales where adders are seen regularly I'd love to know!

Edited by *mouse*

I've always wanted to see an adder but never have. Plenty of grass snakes, slow worms and lizards but never an adder. I'd consider myself quite lucky if I spotted one while caching. If anyone knows of a cache in the south west or south wales where adders are seen regularly I'd love to know!

Sssmooth approach, they usually pick up the vibration of you getting near, ssso ssslithher off out of sssight!

:D <<Ssnake impression! :)

When you down for the curry/camping event at Princetown you could do worse than visiting N50 29.179° W003 59.721°

It is a prehistoric settlement and I have rarely failed to see adders basking there on a sunny day. As early as possible after the sun gets up is the best time before they get too warm and active and slither away as you approach.

There are no caches around the settlement but there are several in the general area.

Yes, this is a subject which has been brought up a few times before :)

Actually, in the stormy weather the adders are less visible as they don't like the rain much in terms of basking. :D

I can vouch for the fact that they don't like water. Last September, when caching with Mr Dewdrop on the South Downs, I answered a call of nature and proved, beyond doubt, that the adder which quickly took evasion action did not enjoy that particularly watery experience! :D

I once rescued an adder. There was this old dear that was trying to beat it up with a small plastic spade. It was only a very young one.

I stopped her and told her to go get a bucket. She did but it was filled with water. (I think she thought I wanted to drown it.) I tipped out the water and manged to get it into the bucket. After showing it around to interested partys, I took it onto the grass area of the Sea wall. (Where I have seen others) and released it after taking some photos. For a thank you for saving it, it tried to strike at me.

etrexmel

What a great idea for an extreme cache

Will look into this [well with some strong gloves on anyway !]

Andy

:D:laughing:;)

Yes, this is a subject which has been brought up a few times before :D

Actually, in the stormy weather the adders are less visible as they don't like the rain much in terms of basking. :laughing:

I can vouch for the fact that they don't like water. Last September, when caching with Mr Dewdrop on the South Downs, I answered a call of nature and proved, beyond doubt, that the adder which quickly took evasion action did not enjoy that particularly watery experience! :D

Grass snakes like water, one swam between my legs when I was in a ditch once. I saw it coming but could not get out of the way in time so I just spread my legs and let it swim past. Changed my underwear afterwards, bit too close. I hate snakes.

We were on canford heath Poole 4 weeks ago and saw 2 adders, and what i think was a grass snake swimming in and small pond.We had adders in our garden as kids. My mother used to tip water over the to make them go away. Small kids and adders not a good mix :D