What part of geocaching do you like most?

Peeing in the woods is always nice! :)

My favorite part about geocaching is the adventure. My adventures revolve around being outdoors, smelling the fragrant plants, listening to the call of birds, seeing wildflowers i've never seen before, and visiting unspoiled areas where few people visit. I also like to try and make sense of the wild geological features that I see along the way. My new passion is to make a photojournal of my adventure to share with others.

For some reason, I just don't get the same adventure looking for P&Gs. :D

Edited by Kit Fox

I must say that peeing in the woods is my least favorite part. Really, there are some parts of my body that should stay free of poison ivy, mosquito bites, and ticks.

I like finding new, beautiful places. I like new adventures. I like the fantasy of being a spy or a detective. And I like taking photos and writing about my adventures afterwards. (Which requires that I have adventures, of course.)

Carolyn

I like the "Aha!" moment when I solve a well-crafted puzzle, or when I find a cleverly camouflaged cache. I like caches that draw my attention to public art (including blinkers on public sculptures), or that show me locations with scenic views. I like hiking several miles through the woods, or riding my bike a couple extra miles "on the way" to/from work. I like collecting signature items from other geocachers, and I like socializing with other geocachers.

What part do I like most? Combining more than one of the above into a single geocaching experience.

I must say that peeing in the woods is my least favorite part. Really, there are some parts of my body that should stay free of poison ivy, mosquito bites, and ticks.

I like finding new, beautiful places. I like new adventures. I like the fantasy of being a spy or a detective. And I like taking photos and writing about my adventures afterwards. (Which requires that I have adventures, of course.)

Carolyn

Carolyn... part of basic training, and actually part of every day life of spies and detectives is, I'm afraid to say, peeing in the woods. From Sherlock Holmes to the Catherine on CSI, peeing in the woods has been an essential, and one of the most enjoyable, parts of the job. I know that its true, because I read it on the internet.

Edited by knowschad

For some reason, I just don't get the same adventure looking for P&Gs. :)

Perhaps you need to try some of the P&Gs in some of the dicier areas of Memphis. We do have the second highest violent crime rate here. Surely there is enough adventure to be had for anyone there. Far too much for me.

Carolyn

I work in a jail with over 1200 "bad guys," I avoid that "element" at all costs when i'm off duty. Hiking in remote areas benefits me in that the criminal element doesn't frequent the same areas I do.

For some reason, I just don't get the same adventure looking for P&Gs. :)

Perhaps you need to try some of the P&Gs in some of the dicier areas of Memphis. We do have the second highest violent crime rate here. Surely there is enough adventure to be had for anyone there. Far too much for me.

Carolyn

I work in a jail with over 1200 "bad guys," I avoid that "element" at all costs when i'm off duty. Hiking in remote areas benefits me in that the criminal element doesn't frequent the same areas I do.

You know, Kit Fox... you are just too cool for your shirt. Seriously. :D

Carolyn

Carolyn... part of basic training, and actually part of every day life of spies and detectives is, I'm afraid to say, peeing in the woods. From Sherlock Holmes to the Catherine on CSI, peeing in the woods has been an essential, and one of the most enjoyable, parts of the job. I know that its true, because I read it on the internet.

People gotta be taught how to pee in the bush??? :) Too funny.

I'm with Carolyn on this one. Perhaps necessary, but hardly the highlight of my day. But (yeah, you've been hearing this for years I know) so much easier for guys.

Cute trick on the link

Finding them is good, but what I really enjoy about caching is when someone finds one of my caches and writes a very discriptive log about some their adventure in signing the log book see GC1RRWM and GC1TTE2 logs for example, I just love them.

Ohh forgot to mention, when the log is really funny, I go out to the woods and pee LOL

Edited by coman123

I love the togetherness that I get from it. I've shared caching with friends and family. It's a great way to share time together doing something outdoors.

I've also come to love the surprise of finding new parks, trails, wildflowers, wildlife and all the other great things that you find along the way to the cache. The find is my primary motivator, but the journey ends up being my primary joy.

Thank you for keeping scary people away from delicate souls like myself.

So it is not so much the adventure of the great outdoors but the peace and tranquility that comes from being in nature and away from people? I find geocaching to be calming myself for those reasons and the scariest people I deal with on a daily basis are programmers. If I had to deal with "bad guys" I think I would need weeks of time in the wilderness to decompress.

Hmmm. If it's been published on the Internet....

I suppose I shall simply have to come up with the money for tutoring. Do you suppose they include lessons on creative uses of explosives to reveal hidden caches? Perhaps training on DNA sampling to determine whether the log signature matches the person writing the online log?

Carolyn

Aaaah.........peeing in the woods. What a relief! I have to say I am good at it, but both cache vans are now equipped with those little camping toilets you can buy at Canadian Tire. We have had some wonderful views while on the throne.................

Discovering new spots in our home town, finding that elusive nano, beating the # of caches in a day we set as a target, getting (in my case) much needed exercise and having fun at the same time.

Thank you for keeping scary people away from delicate souls like myself.

So it is not so much the adventure of the great outdoors but the peace and tranquility that comes from being in nature and away from people? I find geocaching to be calming myself for those reasons and the scariest people I deal with on a daily basis are programmers. If I had to deal with "bad guys" I think I would need weeks of time in the wilderness to decompress.

It is actually both. My senses are constantly bombarded by jail noises inmates and noisy machinery. You would be surprised how noisy it is inside the metal / concrete walls of a jail (I love my hearing protectors). I was an avid outdoorsman well before I learned about geocaching. All the noise at work doesn't come close to the noise generated by my son. :D He has a high pitched shriek that goes directly to the head-ache nerve. :)

The adventure also comes from exploring unique areas, places with unique history lessons, and the scenery I encounter along the way. I've hidden an entire series of caches based on another passion of mine, Aviation Archeology.

I love peeing in the woods. OK. No I don't, really. I just didn't want to feel left out.

I love being able to tell my husband "Turn down that gravel road and go until it turns into dirt - then keep going until it turns into mud. We'll hump it from there." He turns the most interesting shades of red!

I love that my husband will almost always give up way before I will - and I almost always end up finding the cache after he's thrown in the towel. A little competition in a marriage can be a good thing!

I love that sometimes I'll look up a hill and know that there's no way I would even consider trying to gimp up that thing with my cane if there wasn't a cache in that tree - I just KNOW it's in that tree - and that cache is MINE. This game makes a cripple girl and a cane go places no orthopedist would ever want to know about!!

I really enjoy swag (I have developed an impressive collection of rubber amphibians) and I love watching my find number go up.

One day when I'm willing to wrap my brain around the geekiness of it, I'm going to figure out how to put all those cool maps and charts on my profile so I can bask in my own wonderfulness.

Edited by Gimpy13

My 5 year old used to be a "potty tourist." Now she is a "geo-peeer." (Yes - there has got to be a better way to spell that.) It is amazing that she always needs to go when we are at a cache in the woods. Is it acceptable to add "peed near cache" to the log?

As much as I am hoping she will soon outgrow this, it is oddly comforting to know that she isn't alone!

It is actually both. My senses are constantly bombarded by jail noises inmates and noisy machinery. You would be surprised how noisy it is inside the metal / concrete walls of a jail (I love my hearing protectors). I was an avid outdoorsman well before I learned about geocaching. All the noise at work doesn't come close to the noise generated by my son. :D He has a high pitched shriek that goes directly to the head-ache nerve. :)

The adventure also comes from exploring unique areas, places with unique history lessons, and the scenery I encounter along the way. I've hidden an entire series of caches based on another passion of mine, Aviation Archeology.

First of all let me my thanks forthat. Also, yes I would believe how noisy it is. I worked as a corrections officer after I got out of the milatary. In many ways it was much more stressful than combat. At least the noise was not constant in my old job. If you haven't been there it's hard to describe. It's not like I PTSD from my corrections days, but after a shift you just have to let yourself unwind before you can function on a normal level. Thanks again.

Back on topic. It's hard for me to say what part I like best. I love hiding caches. I love finding caches. A well done micro can be great, but I also love finding that ammo can after that long hike in the woods. I love events. I even like working in the caching organizations and with land managers. I even like the numbers side of it. Well mine anyway. I'll break 500 hundred soon, which isn't much for anywhere else, but it's got to be close to the top ten up here. Not that I care that much. I'm in it for the fun.

That's my favorite part! The fun!!!

for me its about adventuring and exploring to a place I've never been, or finding a hiding spot someplace I been several times and never noticed it...

Also, ""the find"" it a big part of it... I'm not really interested in taking something from the cache as I am finding it and signing the log...

i haven't uhh.... experienced :) all that there is to caching yet! So far, its just been about pretending like i'm not 100% allergic to nature!

I've started taking my grandma with me when we're home visiting family, so its been a nice way to spend time together! She turns 80 next week... and she climbs around in the dangerous stuff so I don't get hurt! (Yes, even I see something wrong with this!) A few weeks ago, we found one at the top of a jungle gym... it was probably about 10-12 feet off the ground. She tells me to get down so I don't get hurt & she'll get it for me!! Anyone else being shown up by their grandma?!?! She's really good at the nano's! Not so good at the gps tho! Last week, she was counting down miles as feet! Once she masters that, so I can drive, she'll be a force!

Otherwise, when its just me & the husband, its a nice way to get us out of the house! he's a computer geek/photographer & i'm a retail person, so outside eludes us! Our city has miles of great nature trails & bike paths, so I get to explore the pretty trails while he takes pics! Works out well!! :D

Traveling to exciting new locations..

Seeing strange new creatures..

Killing them and taking their stuff! :)

Peeing in the woods is all well and good, but I prefer peeing off a cliff! Nothing quite like standing less than a foot away from an edge and taking a whiz, hoping that no one is directly under you.. But secretly hoping that maybe there IS someone down there..... >.>

The fresh air and exercise is good, too.

As is the crusing up to a spot where there's a cache, and seeing someone milling around and thinking to yourself "That's either a cacher, or a nutter... or maybe both."

Personally I just like going to areas I would never have known about if it were not for Geo Cashing. I don't care if there is anything in the cashe other than a notebook and pencil, I never swap anythng, just sign the book.

When I hide a cashe I try to put it in an area that I find interesting and think others might too. I try not to hide is so well that it will be a huge challange to find it, after all it is the scenery that I am trying to draw people too but I do try to put them in an area that nobody has to worry about mugglers.

I love the out of doors and this gets me there. I do not care for the little cashes and try to filter them out. That is just me. Cashes in Urban areas do not interest me. Cashes on private property do not interest me.

Personally I just like going to areas I would never have known about if it were not for Geo Cashing. I don't care if there is anything in the cashe other than a notebook and pencil, I never swap anythng, just sign the book.

When I hide a cashe I try to put it in an area that I find interesting and think others might too. I try not to hide is so well that it will be a huge challange to find it, after all it is the scenery that I am trying to draw people too but I do try to put them in an area that nobody has to worry about mugglers.

I love the out of doors and this gets me there. I do not care for the little cashes and try to filter them out. That is just me. Cashes in Urban areas do not interest me. Cashes on private property do not interest me.

Armchair virtuals. Nothing is more fun than sitting at home in front of the computer and racking up smilies on Geocaching.com. It's great - no need to leave the air conditioned house, I'm always close to the fridge for a cold drink, there are no mosquitoes, and I don't have to get dirty. Heck, I don't even have to get dressed! (I guess I should mention that there's no need to pee in the woods either!)

Without a doubt, armchair virtuals are the best thing about geocaching.

:)

Armchair virtuals. Nothing is more fun than sitting at home in front of the computer and racking up smilies on Geocaching.com. It's great - no need to leave the air conditioned house, I'm always close to the fridge for a cold drink, there are no mosquitoes, and I don't have to get dirty. Heck, I don't even have to get dressed! (I guess I should mention that there's no need to pee in the woods either!)

Without a doubt, armchair virtuals are the best thing about geocaching.

:)

No peeing in the woods? What is the point?

Now she is a "geo-peeer." (Yes - there has got to be a better way to spell that.)

It is amazing that she always needs to go when we are at a cache in the woods. Is it acceptable to add "peed near cache" to the log?

Last first... It is part of the experience, log it that way if you wish.

PLEASE avoid the need for "Peed ON the cache"... please please please. :)

As for spelling... you might try GOP-er, but that might offend a few of that political stripe.

Doug