The Gutting Of Texas

Quartzcacher or QC as some call him (Bruce Crane) and I ,Dentful1, (Aaron Bopp) have met up once again to continue our quest for BIG numbers. This trip was bigger and better than the previous run of 110 caches in one day that we made back in the spring in the great state of Louisiana. QC had heard about this area of Texas that has power trails. He mentioned it to me back in the late spring that we were to go on a mission to the Linden/Jefferson area of Texas. QC was excited about this because he heard about a series called "Bridge of Death Road." He was so pumped up about this run because he now has a new ride, a Jeep Liberty 4X4 Off Road Edition. He kept on thinking of this one spot about a BIG muddy hole that he heard about. Sooooo we booked a camping spot on Lake O' The Pines and used a tent. We used a tent in 106*F days with 75*F nights. We used a tent with no A/C. We used a tent during the summer in Texas. Can you get the picture of what I am trying to paint here. We left Friday after work and arrived at 9pm and set up camp. QC and I both get up for work early in the mornings so we had no problem getting up at 4:30am to get ready to be on the trails no later than the break of daylight. We found our first cache at 5:30am and by 6am we had 10 caches in the book. By 7:28 we had 34 caches. At 8am I was talked into sending our good buddy Cachemates a text message letting him know that we had 40 caches in the books by 8am. I did so and got a text message back stating that I needed to hustle up and get a move on. I then replied back saying that I am not driving. For some of you that know me by now you would understand what was being said with that. By 11am we had 75 caches logged. It was about this time that I was concerned about QC's transmission. You see, I have been counting down the feet left to each cache so he could stop right next to them. But every time he over shot the cache by about 80 feet and had to put it in reverse to back up closer to the cache. Our 100th cache of the day we put in the time of 1:11pm. Soon after that I broke my previous record in one day with find number 111. We got into a few slow spots in between these power trails but QC broke his previous record in one day with find number 142. Let me reiterate that these find numbers are all in one day. At find number 150 we made it to the big muddy hole that QC was all worried about. Luckily it hadn't rained in these parts in about a month so the muddy hole was very passable. The only bad thing about no rain in about a month here is that the roads are a very fine powder and sand and it makes for a great dust storm when you stop and jump out to get a cache. It was about this time we realized that we could set another goal on top of our main goal of finding 200 caches in one day. We wanted to beat the number of finds that the number 1 cacher in the world, alamogul. had found in one day, here on these trails just a month ago. We had to get to find number 212 to tie up alamogul. At 8:42pm we found cache number 200. We just met our first goal and our second goal is just in reach. At 9:06pm we tied it up with alamogul with 212 finds. We could not stop there, we had 2 more caches to get in this series. Just one minute later we broke alamoguls record day with 213 cache finds. We ended the long day with 215 caches found. We only had about 20-30 DNF's, I lost count and will have to get those numbers from QC.

We made it back to camp and we bled red mud when we cleaned up from all the red clay dust that we were in all day long. QC and I had to get up and pack the next day to head on home. We knew that we weren't going to go after a lot of caches . We eased on home with 41 finds on Sunday. QC and I "Gutted Texas" with a total of 256 finds in 2 days.

Quartzcacher or QC as some call him (Bruce Crane) and I ,Dentful1, (Aaron Bopp) have met up once again to continue our quest for BIG numbers. This trip was bigger and better than the previous run of 110 caches in one day that we made back in the spring in the great state of Louisiana. QC had heard about this area of Texas that has power trails. He mentioned it to me back in the late spring that we were to go on a mission to the Linden/Jefferson area of Texas. QC was excited about this because he heard about a series called "Bridge of Death Road." He was so pumped up about this run because he now has a new ride, a Jeep Liberty 4X4 Off Road Edition. He kept on thinking of this one spot about a BIG muddy hole that he heard about. Sooooo we booked a camping spot on Lake O' The Pines and used a tent. We used a tent in 106*F days with 75*F nights. We used a tent with no A/C. We used a tent during the summer in Texas. Can you get the picture of what I am trying to paint here. We left Friday after work and arrived at 9pm and set up camp. QC and I both get up for work early in the mornings so we had no problem getting up at 4:30am to get ready to be on the trails no later than the break of daylight. We found our first cache at 5:30am and by 6am we had 10 caches in the book. By 7:28 we had 34 caches. At 8am I was talked into sending our good buddy Cachemates a text message letting him know that we had 40 caches in the books by 8am. I did so and got a text message back stating that I needed to hustle up and get a move on. I then replied back saying that I am not driving. For some of you that know me by now you would understand what was being said with that. By 11am we had 75 caches logged. It was about this time that I was concerned about QC's transmission. You see, I have been counting down the feet left to each cache so he could stop right next to them. But every time he over shot the cache by about 80 feet and had to put it in reverse to back up closer to the cache. Our 100th cache of the day we put in the time of 1:11pm. Soon after that I broke my previous record in one day with find number 111. We got into a few slow spots in between these power trails but QC broke his previous record in one day with find number 142. Let me reiterate that these find numbers are all in one day. At find number 150 we made it to the big muddy hole that QC was all worried about. Luckily it hadn't rained in these parts in about a month so the muddy hole was very passable. The only bad thing about no rain in about a month here is that the roads are a very fine powder and sand and it makes for a great dust storm when you stop and jump out to get a cache. It was about this time we realized that we could set another goal on top of our main goal of finding 200 caches in one day. We wanted to beat the number of finds that the number 1 cacher in the world, alamogul. had found in one day, here on these trails just a month ago. We had to get to find number 212 to tie up alamogul. At 8:42pm we found cache number 200. We just met our first goal and our second goal is just in reach. At 9:06pm we tied it up with alamogul with 212 finds. We could not stop there, we had 2 more caches to get in this series. Just one minute later we broke alamoguls record day with 213 cache finds. We ended the long day with 215 caches found. We only had about 20-30 DNF's, I lost count and will have to get those numbers from QC.

We made it back to camp and we bled red mud when we cleaned up from all the red clay dust that we were in all day long. QC and I had to get up and pack the next day to head on home. We knew that we weren't going to go after a lot of caches . We eased on home with 41 finds on Sunday. QC and I "Gutted Texas" with a total of 256 finds in 2 days.

So we are to believe you found 1 cache every 5 minutes? Were there big signs over them saying "Next geocache here"? Sorry, but just don't buy the story.

allen

It is *very* easy for an experienced, well-organized geocacher to rack up single day numbers like that in a cache dense area. My personal best is 240.

I can forgive you for accusing the OP of telling a false story, due to your inexperience and skill level.

To the OP, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you had fun! It is not something you want to do every weekend, though.

When I see the stories of large cache runs I usually think of a cache dense city. Somehow that really doesn't appeal a lot to me, but to find such a cache rich area in less populated area of east Texas sounds like a blast. Hot nights in a tent, dirt roads, mud holes, and lots of bugs; what could be better than that? Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing.

Quartzcacher and I have had a run of 110 a few months ago. We knew this area was here and Quartzcacher did alot of research into which route to take to get the most out of the day. When you have power trails that have 30-40 caches in them that are 500-600 feet apart you can really pile on the numbers quickly. This area of Texas between Jefferson and Linden have a good supply of caches in many power trails. Check out the cache maps of the area and see for yourself. We did not have time to enjoy the scenary around the cache sites. However, for the most part there was not a whole lot to look at. Dirt roads with trees for the most of them.

We are planning on another power run later in September. We will go just to the west of Waco. They have good numbers in those power trails. We do enjoy the days that we only grab a few caches and enjoy the hike. But every now and then we just want to get out and do a power run.

Hey Y'all! I just want to say that I probably wouldn't have believed it either, or at least been very skeptical. However, I researched the area thoroughly and laid out a route for us before we went. I left out caches that appeared to be missing. I spent a week researching each and every cache and reading the logs on it before we left. I had a very good idea of what we were looking for or at, before we ever got to the area.

Also, Dentful1 and I are in pretty good physical condition, which definitely helps a lot when you are making those jumps in and out of the Jeep all day. This came in handy when we made a trek to a cache that wasn't right on the road either. We didn't walk, we ran to these. We very literally, ran all day. While the temps were over one hundred degrees most of the day, the A/C in the Jeep really helped. We went through a LOT of water and Gatorade as well. Both Dentful1 and myself are the competitive type, and were athletes in school.

Now with all this being said, let me just say that there is a reason that Alamogul is the number 1 team in the world! They apparently just stopped in on their way home from GWVII, as where I put a lot of research into this.

I would like to say thanks so much to the folks around the Jefferson area, for placing all these nice caches! You guys ROCK! If anyone wants a first class geocaching experience, you should go to this area. There were plenty of sights to see too. The view from the CC bridge, also known as the Bridge of Death as so named by Normasgirl, was spectacular! The cypress trees and the white sand contrasted against the black water made for a very picturesque scene.

Thanks for the words of support and congrats from those who answered this posting. I was a little nervous that some wouldn't like it when Dentful1 posted this. He really meant this as a kudos for the Texas geocachers, and especially those in this area.

One last note, Mrs.Q (my wife) is a proud native Texan, and I plan to find many more caches in the great state of Texas! She was pleased that we were able to do this here. Also, I would like to thank my good buddy, Dentful1, for a great day of adventure, and for not using our real names on the Groundspeak forums! :D

Also, I would like to thank my good buddy, Dentful1, for a great day of adventure, and for not using our real names on the Groundspeak forums! :D

oops. I copied and pasted what was on the Arkansas forums. I would fix it but I don't think I can change the original post.

I'm sure someone from the area can verify from the logs. I don't know how many prtnr1 found when he came to town or when mondou came to town but I saw their names in darn near every cache I visited. That was the only way I even heard of mondou since I found out he lived in Colorado and I'm in Fort Worth, Texas. I asked myself, "Who in the heck is this guy?" He said he likes to find 1000 caches every summer. Reminds me.....I wonder what he's up to now after another year of caching.

Anyhow, I'd like to believe these guys are speaking the truth so, "innocent until proven guilty, Mr. Missourian!" [:unsure:]

I'd think it's pretty believable. After all, some other group claimed over 300 (if I'm not mistaken) finds in one day, but they were eventually shouted down and deleted their logs because they were just signing the outsides of the containers :unsure:

So yeah... chop that down by 50 someodd caches, and there's plenty of time to open and sign the logbooks (safely assuming these guys did just that :))

Hey Y'all! I just want to say that I probably wouldn't have believed it either, or at least been very skeptical. However, I researched the area thoroughly and laid out a route for us before we went. I left out caches that appeared to be missing. I spent a week researching each and every cache and reading the logs on it before we left. I had a very good idea of what we were looking for or at, before we ever got to the area.

Also, Dentful1 and I are in pretty good physical condition, which definitely helps a lot when you are making those jumps in and out of the Jeep all day. This came in handy when we made a trek to a cache that wasn't right on the road either. We didn't walk, we ran to these. We very literally, ran all day. While the temps were over one hundred degrees most of the day, the A/C in the Jeep really helped. We went through a LOT of water and Gatorade as well. Both Dentful1 and myself are the competitive type, and were athletes in school.

Now with all this being said, let me just say that there is a reason that Alamogul is the number 1 team in the world! They apparently just stopped in on their way home from GWVII, as where I put a lot of research into this.

I would like to say thanks so much to the folks around the Jefferson area, for placing all these nice caches! You guys ROCK! If anyone wants a first class geocaching experience, you should go to this area. There were plenty of sights to see too. The view from the CC bridge, also known as the Bridge of Death as so named by Normasgirl, was spectacular! The cypress trees and the white sand contrasted against the black water made for a very picturesque scene.

Thanks for the words of support and congrats from those who answered this posting. I was a little nervous that some wouldn't like it when Dentful1 posted this. He really meant this as a kudos for the Texas geocachers, and especially those in this area.

One last note, Mrs.Q (my wife) is a proud native Texan, and I plan to find many more caches in the great state of Texas! She was pleased that we were able to do this here. Also, I would like to thank my good buddy, Dentful1, for a great day of adventure, and for not using our real names on the Groundspeak forums! :unsure:

I did the 43 cache power trail in Wisconsin and it only took 3 hours and our group was not cheating in any way.. I have no reason to doubt it. Though, I do have visions of the group focusing on caches as individuals "signing as a group", with a parade of bikes that kept passing each other.

And man, my writing is far from perfect. But you've got to throw me a paragraph every once in a while. That large blob of a story was hard on the eyes. :cool:

Wow, to live in an area with that many caches. Here in Central Australia, I have 92 within 300 mile radius of home, and 1/3 of those would be a long way from any of the rest.

Off to Denver soon for work, and there are quite a few out by the airport, so I'm shooting for 50 in a day after work.....over 200 in a day, stories like that make me want to go back home and live in the US for a summer!

240 in a day/ i don't believe you found a geocache every 6 minutes for 24 hours. i could do that too sitting at my computer making false logs. sounds like a little frog in a big pond trying to make a name for theirselves. before you start saying crap about my experience and skill level, we trained usuaing similat techniques in the marines. ive done this for iver 10 tears in the militery and 3 years as a civilian. the marines do not have public caches that you can log in the civilian world. i say where's the pics. where's the log books. if i was to make a boast like that i would at least have proof. i see no proof . having a bunch of your croneys vouch for you is no proof

240 in a day/ i don't believe you found a geocache every 6 minutes for 24 hours. i could do that too sitting at my computer making false logs. sounds like a little frog in a big pond trying to make a name for theirselves. before you start saying crap about my experience and skill level, we trained usuaing similat techniques in the marines. ive done this for iver 10 tears in the militery and 3 years as a civilian. the marines do not have public caches that you can log in the civilian world. i say where's the pics. where's the log books. if i was to make a boast like that i would at least have proof. i see no proof . having a bunch of your croneys vouch for you is no proof

I find this hysterically funny and pathetic, all at the same time.

You bumped a thread that hadn't been posted to for a year, in order to challenge my integrity? Have you nothing better to do?

The record was set in 2004, in Nashville after GeoWoodstock, and you are invited to research prior posts on the subject. I have tracklogs from the route we took, pictures from some extra fun caches, and a few dozen eyewitnesses that we met up with that day. With all the prior discussion, I felt no need to repeat myself when posting to this thread last year.

How would you feel if I challenged your military service record? Most folks who were in the military know how to spell "military."

Edited by The Leprechauns

Nabrag and I spent 3 days on the ET Highway series. On the second day, we fueled up in Ash Springs and started at the beginning of the trail, E.T. 001. On each and every cache, whoever spotted the find would retrieve the container, extract the log, and hand it to the other person. He would sign the log, replace the log, and the finder would replace it. We continued on with a short break around 1:30PM to use the facilities and grab a quick lunch and finished up at midnight. We logged 721 caches for the day, averaging 39 per hour. Our most in one hour was 58. We figured that someone could easily get 1000 caches for the day, without cheating, if they went the whole 24 hours. It was a long day but it was enjoyable - both of us are big fans of the desert.