Colorado software version 2.94 Beta

allory

Sorry, but it always like this with electronics. There is something set on your unit to cause the problems. That is why the programmers do not see the problem.

It is just like people that have Mapsource crash when saving GPX files. I've tried it on 3 computers and never had a crash, but others can not stop it happening. There are other factors....

After discovering that the Go To crashes varied depending on the profile I was using,I went and checked two settings on my off road profile. What I discovered was that the Map setting was set to "Lock On Road ON" and the Routing setting was set to "Off Road". After I had changed the Map setting to "Lock On Road Off" I no longer had the crash on the Go To. It would seem that when installing the Beta 2.94 update,it changed the profile settings. Must admit the Geocache files are still hit and miss when I tried going back to 2.8 then straight to Beta 2.94 as the second time around it displayed 3 geocaches...very strange as the unit had 4 loaded in the GPX file folder.

Edited by flyjazz

We are seeing a similar situation with the Oregon. Some users have no trouble with a firmware release while others seem to have constant issues.

One user suggested it may be related to what each person is doing with the unit. For example, maxing the number of caches, tracks, waypts, POI's.

Loading a bunch of Wherigo's. BTW, the CO has a limit of 25 cartridges.

A couple of years ago, the GPS basically just navigated to a waypoint. Now it has to play Wherigo games, display cache listings etc.

The complexity has increased significantly.

Not a justification. But maybe an explanation.

Started having trouble with caches not wanting to show up today on mine as well.

It did fine with the caches that was originally loaded on it when I updated the software.

Then today I was adding caches for an upcoming trip, and they would no longer show up.

I reported it to the e-mail address garmin gave, so maybe someone will read it.

I had loaded 2.94 and could see my GPX file so no obvious issues. However this morning I loaded a new GPX file over the top of the last one and arrgghh no caches. The GPS file was ok, I saved rolled back to 2.90 and the caches all reappeared. Email on its way to Garmin.

Try deleting the current.gpx file. The unit does not rebuild the cache info on every power up. It saves the info somewhere and I think the current.gpx file is a pointer. The fact that you reused the same file name may have confused it.

I had loaded 2.94 and could see my GPX file so no obvious issues. However this morning I loaded a new GPX file over the top of the last one and arrgghh no caches. The GPS file was ok, I saved rolled back to 2.90 and the caches all reappeared. Email on its way to Garmin.

Try deleting the current.gpx file. The unit does not rebuild the cache info on every power up. It saves the info somewhere and I think the current.gpx file is a pointer. The fact that you reused the same file name may have confused it.

Once you delete that GPX file, you won't have any geocaches on the unit at all. I tried that and all my geocaches were gone.

One thing I didn't try was pulling the memory card and then adding gpx files. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Either way, Garmin needs to start testing before they release BETA files. I try BETA software all the time and there has never been a time that I saw a BETA release that was this flawed.

I loaded 2.94. Then tried loading a new route & waypoints via MapSource 'send to device', uncoupled the GPS, turned it back on, looked for the route and it wasn't listed (no memory card in unit).

Went back to 2.90 re-tried loading route & waypoint and now it's listed.

'Course going back to 2.90 also changed some of my settings and "lost" my City Navigator 2009 update version because device only shows 2008 loaded. Arrrrgggggggh.

Edited by Mr_Green

so, now that the Colorado can handle *.img as a map file, is there some way to rename the map files coming out of mapsource to be anything other than gmapsupp.img? Also, is there a way to edit the names that appear on the map selection screen? I use a fair amount of custom maps, and sometimes the names come out rather cryptic.

so, now that the Colorado can handle *.img as a map file, is there some way to rename the map files coming out of mapsource to be anything other than gmapsupp.img? Also, is there a way to edit the names that appear on the map selection screen? I use a fair amount of custom maps, and sometimes the names come out rather cryptic.

I think the only way right now is to go into the colorado drive and rename the file yourself.

Not sure how you would go about changing the map names as I think its imbedded in the files itself.

If you are not comfortable doing it then dont do it. :drama:

I am sure there will be a new version of mapsource soon that will allow to rename the files.

I am finding too many negative posts here.

I understand some people are having problems with these betas, but lets keep it positive and hopefully Garmin will continue to provide updates.

Remember that we had to wait a long time before we got anything at all, lets not spoil it by taking shots @ Garmin.

If you find any issues, report them to Garmin using the email provided on the first post.

For the record my unit shuts down randomly, with no apparent cause.

I reported it to Garmin, asking if theres some way to turn some kind of debugging mode because theres no patterns on why my machine turns off.

Also included the backlight problem too... cant have enough complaints about the backlight. ;)

I cant wait for next beta.

I too have decided to wait for the next Beta release and I'm confident it will be soon and worth the wait. In the interim,I've decided to run 2.92 as it's very stable and problem free unlike 2.94. If I could chose one enhancement over and above what's so far been released in the Beta's,it would be an alternative text entry. Anything more would be a bonus such as Track Manager with colour options for the tracks and as just mentioned the choice to save backlight settings even though I would unlikely use it myself.

I think the only way right now is to go into the colorado drive and rename the file yourself.

Not sure how you would go about changing the map names as I think its imbedded in the files itself.

I am sure there will be a new version of mapsource soon that will allow to rename the files.

I understand some people are having problems with these betas, but lets keep it positive and hopefully Garmin will continue to provide updates.

Remember that we had to wait a long time before we got anything at all, lets not spoil it by taking shots @ Garmin.

If you find any issues, report them to Garmin using the email provided on the first post.

I reported it to Garmin, asking if theres some way to turn some kind of debugging mode because theres no patterns on why my machine turns off.

Also included the backlight problem too... cant have enough complaints about the backlight. ;)

I don't think a multimillion/billion dollar company like Garmin will be put off by a few negative posts and feel that the few negative posts are warranted.

This latest release was irresponsible.

While working as a production manager, whose job is to make the customer happy, I would have had a hard time keeping an employee that allowed something this flawed to exit the company. Of course since it's called a BETA, its OK.

While testing software, its responsible to offer BETA updates to a small percentage of the user base, not as a general offering to all with a small, one line, caveat on the download page.

Just sayin.

Are you saying everyone should just pretend life is good? Why do you think the negative posts are a bad thing? Are you trying to say people should put a good spin on the product so others will hopefully feel comfortable and buy the product without knowing the problems associated with it?

I'll have to say, tell it like it is and let garmin deal with it as they should.

Negative posts are fine if they are factual. They saved me from putting 2.99 on my Oregon and getting into that disaster. Garmin deserves a bit of a slap to the back of the head with some of these resent releases. Fast response is appreciated but these lately have seemed more 'alpha' releases.

I actually appreciate the beta program being open to all though. I disagree that they should limit it to a select group. The larger the group the more varied the uses and more likely obscure bugs are going to come to light.

Reporting problems and discuss them is okay, I just think that blasting Garmin about a buggy release doesnt accomplish anything imo.

What really ticks me off is that Garmin must know by now that the latest BETA (that should be Alpha) release is horribly flawed. They aren't telling anyone that it will screw up their ability to cache and they aren't offering a quick link to undo the 2.94.

Why would you support a company that allows a flawed BETA to remain?

Reporting problems and discuss them is okay, I just think that blasting Garmin about a buggy release doesnt accomplish anything imo.

Who should be "blasted" then? Isn't Garmin the ones who released the beta? Life has it's goods and bads, we can sing praise for the good, and we should report the bad.

So far, so good with 2.94, only shutdowns so far has happened with goto's. Now if I had colored tracks and backlight setting memory, I'd be really happy.

Try uploading some geocaches (gpx files) and see if they show.

Not the ones you already have but a new one.

I put some geocaches using the SEND TO GPS function of GC and indeed they dont show up.

It doesnt affect me as I dont use it but sent email to Garmin nonetheless because it is a serious bug.

We should be getting a new version very soon that will at least correct this. :P

I put some geocaches using the SEND TO GPS function of GC and indeed they dont show up.

It doesnt affect me as I dont use it but sent email to Garmin nonetheless because it is a serious bug.

We should be getting a new version very soon that will at least correct this. :P

Even drag and drop a PQ or gsak made .gpx, and it wont show.

Even drag and drop a PQ or gsak made .gpx, and it wont show.

Nope.

Adding 2.94 to a colorado makes the colorado worthless for geocaching.

And, as if Garmin ever read this, the ONLY reason I bought the Colorado was for geocaching.

As far as I'm concerned, adding 2.94 to a Colorado makes it a brick, albeit a pretty brick.

Sent an email to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com regarding the missing GPX geocache files as I reinstalled Beta 2.92 and they redisplayed again. Unit also wants to shut down on Go To when searching for an address. Will just have to wait for the next Beta and see what surprises are in store. I'm not overly disappointed as an effort is being made to update the software on the Colorado's.

My curiosity got the better of me,so I reinstalled Beta 2.94 and it works great without any problems. I'm not going to try explaining it,other than to say that if anyone else has the same problem,it's worth a try.

I did have the same problems, so I will try again and see what happens. Thanks.

My unit shuts down randomly... no pattern how it does it.

And not in the same spot weither, it happens in map mode, in set up menu, in the compass page, reading POI info, anywhere.

Not sure how I can report this to Garmin without being able to provide any info that can help them??

Weird...

My unit shuts down randomly... no pattern how it does it.

And not in the same spot weither, it happens in map mode, in set up menu, in the compass page, reading POI info, anywhere.

Not sure how I can report this to Garmin without being able to provide any info that can help them??

Weird...

Mine has done that before. It turned out that the battery meter sucks. Put in some fresh Duracells and the problem went away. With the old batteries I was seeing that it was almost a full charge but apparantly not.

Battery meter issues are a known problem. It's also possible that the batteries aren't producing enough flow and the unit shuts down because it thinks the batteries are fried? Who knows?

What I would like to see them add is a file management and transfer option.. so you can move files back and forth between the SD card and GPS as well as into and out of folders. so if you load and unload cache files, waypoints files and POI files right from the GPS without having to wait till you can get to a computer. You can save the files on the SD card then load what you need when you need it.

What I would like to see them add is a file management and transfer option.. so you can move files back and forth between the SD card and GPS as well as into and out of folders. so if you load and unload cache files, waypoints files and POI files right from the GPS without having to wait till you can get to a computer. You can save the files on the SD card then load what you need when you need it.

That's an excellent proposal, and I will suggest we send it in to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com while they are working on the firmware and we have their attention.

Isnt it the purpose of allowing img files with different names to allow people to have more than one map on the device allowing you to select which maps you want to use.

I dont think Garmin will want to change the geocaches limitations, because I dont see why they cant increase the limit or eliminate it altogether.

Anyway, I think we are due for a new firmware release because of the huge bug in 2.94.

Img files allows the user to add maps without recompliing all the segmants from the various maps in mapsource. Significant speed advantage when you want to add a new map.

Exactly, by being able to have different img files, theres no need to having to move files from/to the device to have acces to a map.

It is just a matter of choosing the map that the user wants to use.

With this I dont think Garmin will be adding any sort of file management to the Colorado.

If the Oregon doesnt have it, you can rest assured that the Colorado will not have it either.

Now where is that new firmware version??

To clarify stickman's point above, can you route between .img files? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. So you might add a .img for your vacation destination but you wouldn't want to toss a dozen City Nav .img hunks on there and expect to route between them. For adding Topo to City Nav or a chunk on another continent or any non-routable .img, it should still be pretty handy, though.

To clarify stickman's point above, can you route between .img files? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. So you might add a .img for your vacation destination but you wouldn't want to toss a dozen City Nav .img hunks on there and expect to route between them. For adding Topo to City Nav or a chunk on another continent or any non-routable .img, it should still be pretty handy, though.

How is that different from being able to copy from a SD card to the internal memory and vice versa as previous poster sugested?

I simply wanted to sugest that with the possibility of having different img files in the unit eliminates the need to juggle files between the sd card and the internal memory.

I believe it is possible, here's what I found:

On my Nuvi I have Above the Timber's Topos in addition to CN. I created a 100 mile route to an intersection in CN. When I got close, I turned off CN, allowing me to see the topos underneath. The route was still active as if CN was still on screen. So once you've "built" the route, the Nuvi seems to care not which map it is routing with. A pleasant surprise.

I would expect the CO to behave the same, will test sometime.

On my Nuvi I have Above the Timber's Topos in addition to CN. I created a 100 mile route to an intersection in CN. When I got close, I turned off CN, allowing me to see the topos underneath. The route was still active as if CN was still on screen. So once you've "built" the route, the Nuvi seems to care not which map it is routing with. A pleasant surprise.

I would expect the CO to behave the same, will test sometime.

Until it tries to recalculate, then it will get lost.

How is that different from being able to copy from a SD card to the internal memory and vice versa as previous poster sugested?

I simply wanted to sugest that with the possibility of having different img files in the unit eliminates the need to juggle files between the sd card and the internal memory.

That's a good question about routing. I wouldn't personally have more then one file per mapset, ie, i have cn2009, topo canada v4, metroguide, bluecharts 8.5 and several custom maps so i would have 4 img files for the garmin mapsets and one for each custom map. That would allow routing calculation to use only the highest priority map currently in use. With the ability to add img file individually I can quickly add or remove the custom mapsets without recompiling all the various mapsets. Now i'm not sure if the img files need to be in main memory or can be split between main and the SD card.

Isnt it the purpose of allowing img files with different names to allow people to have more than one map on the device allowing you to select which maps you want to use.

I dont think Garmin will want to change the geocaches limitations, because I dont see why they cant increase the limit or eliminate it altogether.

Anyway, I think we are due for a new firmware release because of the huge bug in 2.94.

From what I have seen you are limited to 4 maps total you can add

GPS:

gmapprom.img (Base Map)

gmapsupp.img

gmapbmap.img (300 series map name, It works on my 400T)

SD card:

gmapsupp.img

You can't just name a IMG file anything and get the Colorado to view it.. Having the option to rename files on the SD card and move them to and from the GPSr would give you the option of more maps or POI or waypoints.

This isn't a Geocaching only addition I am proposing. being able to rename or move and transfer files allows the owner to manage his / her information better.

You can have 100's of 1,000's of POI's but does that mean you would want to clutter your screen with Dot's and alerts each time you get close to one. Each POI file is loaded when you turn on your GPSr, If you had the ability to move the files OUT of the POI folder they wouldn't get loaded and you wouldn't have a screen full of wal-marts and burger kings.. and if you want to find the nearest Denny's move the POI file back into the folder and look it up.

All being able to move and rename does is give you options if you don't have access to your computer. Being an outdoorsmen you should know. If it gets hot out I can take off my jacket, But if it gets cold and I don't have a jacket I can't put it on.

"You can't just name a IMG file anything and get the Colorado to view it."

You can now, I have 6 maps loaded, all selectable, and named them whatever I liked. The Map name that appears on the GPSr is encoded into the .img when compiled and remains unchanged

"You can't just name a IMG file anything and get the Colorado to view it."

You can now, I have 6 maps loaded, all selectable, and named them whatever I liked. The Map name that appears on the GPSr is encoded into the .img when compiled and remains unchanged

Whcih Firmware are you using? I have 2.92 on my colorado 400T

when I compiled the maps in Mapsource and loaded them onto the SD card, I would change the names to like gmapsupp01.img, gmapsupp02.img, Etc. Etc. and they wouldn't show up in the list of maps.

when I compiled the maps in Mapsource and loaded them onto the SD card, I would change the names to like gmapsupp01.img, gmapsupp02.img, Etc. Etc. and they wouldn't show up in the list of maps.

OMG..... :o

2.94, obviously. See the title of this thread. One of the features added was allowing any named IMG file top be read.

I keep looking at the Garmin update page hoping I can see a new revision to the 2.94 but nothing so far. It amazes me that they came out with the 2.94BETA a few days after the 2.92BETA but as flawed as the 2.94BETA is, they haven't issued a new version of the BETA.

And the sad thing is all we have to fall back on is the flawed 2.90 ver.

OMG..... :o

2.94, obviously. See the title of this thread. One of the features added was allowing any named IMG file top be read.

This thread has bounced all over, I have seen people talking about everything from 2.50 to 2.94.

I asked a simple question because I am very new to the Colorado 400T and wasn't sure if there was something I was doing wrong, I don't mind you answering but I find how you replied rude, I suggest you keep it polite Red90

Edited by wvsar

I keep looking at the Garmin update page hoping I can see a new revision to the 2.94 but nothing so far. It amazes me that they came out with the 2.94BETA a few days after the 2.92BETA but as flawed as the 2.94BETA is, they haven't issued a new version of the BETA.

Totally agree. I am pretty sure they got plenty of reports that this version is broken and no new version yet...

Oregon has not get a new version either in awhile, so my guess is that we wont see a new one until after the Oregon gets one.

Totally agree. I am pretty sure they got plenty of reports that this version is broken and no new version yet...

Oregon has not get a new version either in awhile, so my guess is that we wont see a new one until after the Oregon gets one.

I just thought of something. Maybe Garmin suffers from a huge case of CYA. Perhaps the people who NEED to know are not finding out because of all the CYA reports that go their way.

How do we contact someone on the board of directors?

I emailed them to say it was not working, I trust everyone else did as well.

I sent a nicely worded Email to Garmin BETA asking if they were planning an update or correction to the 2.94BETA. Guess what they said?

NOTHING. They won't even email people back.

UGH!

Yep, we want them to answer all e-mails, each and every one of them. Then in the 2 minutes of the day they have left they can fix the software.

I sent a nicely worded Email to Garmin BETA asking if they were planning an update or correction to the 2.94BETA. Guess what they said?

NOTHING. They won't even email people back.

UGH!

Yep, we want them to answer all e-mails, each and every one of them. Then in the 2 minutes of the day they have left they can fix the software.

Well, obviously they aren't doing either.

Seriously though.... I'm sure they have someone in the company that can send a standard reply as they are reading the emails. OOPS, that assumes they actually read the emails.