Colorado software version 2.94 Beta

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4531

Changes made from version 2.92 to 2.94:

* Added Waypoint Averaging application. (For more information visit our new Trail Tech website at http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/)

* Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory

* Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location

* Fixed hunting waypoint symbols not transferring properly

Changes made from version 2.90 to 2.92:

* Report problems with beta software to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com

* Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt)

* Improved power on reliability

* Improved connection reliability with Spanner

* Improved appearance of depth data field when using big numbers

* Fixed some scan points not working properly with Garmin GB Discoverer maps

* Fixed issue with Garmin GB Discover maps not showing at some zoom levels with detail set to least

* Fixed errors in user grid entry

* Fixed the time label of the graph in Elevation Plot

* Fixed selection of Leap Day on Calendar, Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages

Nice update. Downloaded and installed without any hitches. Really like the waypoint averaging feature located in the toolbox. Another big plus for me is the mulitple .img map files that can be loaded into the unit.

Redraw on panning also seems a lot faster.

Edited by flyjazz

Seems like they fixed the crash at startup if you power down with an active autoroute.

I'm not arguing but what makes you say that?

I will say that the startup crash ripped me off quite a bit this weekend.

Imagine someone rushing to do a FTF 10 miles away only to have their GPSr crash.

I did get the FTF by about 2 minutes though!

Edited by bittsen

I powered off half a dozen times tonight during an autoroute and when I powered it back on it came up each time.

Great!

I will update my unit tonight. I was on the bubble for returning the thing when it started doing the lockup. I thought to myself, "how can they sell this piece of junk for $600?" (not that I paid that much, but still...)

Thanks for reassuring me.

Anyone lose their gpx geocache files after installing the latest beta update? Not sure if it was something I had done as they have all disappeared.

The instructions say you might lose your data. The gpx files are what they mean by "data".

It's normal to lose them. Not everyone will, however.

Sent an email to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com regarding the missing GPX geocache files as I reinstalled Beta 2.92 and they redisplayed again. Unit also wants to shut down on Go To when searching for an address. Will just have to wait for the next Beta and see what surprises are in store. I'm not overly disappointed as an effort is being made to update the software on the Colorado's.

My curiosity got the better of me,so I reinstalled Beta 2.94 and it works great without any problems. I'm not going to try explaining it,other than to say that if anyone else has the same problem,it's worth a try.

Edited by flyjazz

I also lost all my .gpx files. Well they werent lost as they were still shown in mass storage mode, they just wouldnt display. Ended up deleting all gpx files on the sd and internal memory, and powering up with none, then placing them back on, as suggested by g-o-cachers on his forum. Fixed that back up.

Played around with multi img files and it seems to work great.

img.jpg

That works just fine... :)

One thing that mine seems to do now, is if I plug it into the computer when its not turned on, it boots to the screen where it asks if you want mass storage mode or not, then just crashes and fades away, even before i can make the selection. If it is turned on ahead of time, it doesn't do that.

I wonder if Garmin just has their head up in their.....well you know.

I tried to add a GPX file today and it wouldn't display. It was for a FTF too!

I deleted all of the GPX files and then loaded a new one. No geocaches show!

I don't give a rats patootie if there are workarounds or not. Garmin needs to get this junk under control or they will be buying back a 400t!

They released a shoddy product and made it sound like it was the next coming of Christ. I was excited to get this thing but now see it as only a HUGE waste of money!

Anyone tried to find an address and then hit go to route to that address?

Mine powers down if you try to go to the address after you find it. I can create a waypoint and then route to the waypoint without issue.

Mine does as well...... :) mine also does it using other POI's such as food,shopping and others.... :D

Mine powers down if you try to go to the address after you find it. I can create a waypoint and then route to the waypoint without issue.

Mine does as well...... :) mine also does it using other POI's such as food,shopping and others.... :D

Mine did it as well.

I would go back to the 2.92BETA if I were you. I'm doing it. With the 2.94, the unit is worthless.

Mine did it as well.

I would go back to the 2.92BETA if I were you. I'm doing it. With the 2.94, the unit is worthless.

Does any one have the 2.92 Beta download. I didn't save it. I would love to get a PM from someone who can help me out!!

StaticTank

These are my paraphrased comments from g-o-cachers forum....

After updating my gpx PQ is no longer visible (no geocaches listed on the geocaching tab)I tried re copying them, and also moving from the sd card to the internal memory and they still dont show.

I deleted all gpx files every where including the current.gpx and position.gpx, and removed the sd card, and rebooted. (obviously none were shown) I then dropped my pq in the gpx folder of the device and rebooted, all showed up. Then powered off and put my sd card back in and all still seems to be working.

Ya I am still plagued with .gpx problems, and had to switch back to 2.92beta.

Today is a holiday here and I loaded up another PQ of caches along a route. Was about to head out when I noticed that the new .gpx was not displaying. So I removed my other pq and it still didnt show. Tried the procedure I did before and I could get none to show up. So I flashed 2.92 back on and it totally wiped all user settings. I had to re enter my location, time zone, all waypoints were gone.....grrrrr all preferences were messed up. It still showed a custom profile that I had made, but the settings in it were all wrong. Of course I also had to rebuild a new mapset with combined maps as well.

I don't give a rats patootie if there are workarounds or not. Garmin needs to get this junk under control or they will be buying back a 400t!

They released a shoddy product and made it sound like it was the next coming of Christ. I was excited to get this thing but now see it as only a HUGE waste of money!

Don't forget this is a beta firmware, not an official stable release.

Don't forget this is a beta firmware, not an official stable release.

You are correct but the base product was buggy as well, which is why they are doing BETA updates.

Also, it was horribly irresponsible of Garmin to remove the 2.92 link and replace it with the 2.94. Doing so prevented people from going back to the 2.92.

It's a good thing I saved the 2.92.

It seems very few of you that were having problems bothered trying to flash the software back to 2.92 then reinstalling 2.94. I can confirm that the unit does want to still crash if you select the right soft button on a Go To screen. It will not crash if the centre button of the R&R is used instead. Otherwise the unit will still create a route as before. I'm convinced that the map redraw is a lot faster and the POI search is incredibly fast with 2.94. In regards to the GPX files,I will also confirm flashing back to 2.92 and then again to 2.94 should correct the problem.

It seems very few of you that were having problems bothered trying to flash the software back to 2.92 then reinstalling 2.94. I can confirm that the unit does want to still crash if you select the right soft button on a Go To screen. It will not crash if the centre button of the R&R is used instead. Otherwise the unit will still create a route as before. I'm convinced that the map redraw is a lot faster and the POI search is incredibly fast with 2.94. In regards to the GPX files,I will also confirm flashing back to 2.92 and then again to 2.94 should correct the problem.

Flashing back and forth doesn't help with Geocaches/GPX files. If you have a GPX file on the unit when you flash back and then up to 2.94 again it will show up but if you add new caches individually they still don't show up...at least for me. I will be staying with 2.92 for the time being. Works great.

StaticTank

Flashing back and forth doesn't help with Geocaches/GPX files. If you have a GPX file on the unit when you flash back and then up to 2.94 again it will show up but if you add new caches individually they still don't show up...at least for me. I will be staying with 2.92 for the time being. Works great.

StaticTank

Same here except the unit still locks if you shut it off while doing a route.

Edited by bittsen

I have also went back and forth from 2.92--->2.94----->2.92-----2.94 and am still having the gpx problems. Even did a master reset while on 2.92 (since all my data was lost anyway) then flashed back to 2.94 and did another master reset.

I got my geocaches to show, but then when I selected the first one in the geocache list, the unit just shut off.

However I did just average a waypoint and it seems to work pretty slick.

Mine will also shut down if I select where to---->waypoints----->then hit back. Of course it doesn't do it every time.....

Edited by savant9

I have also went back and forth from 2.92--->2.94----->2.92-----2.94 and am still having the gpx problems. Even did a master reset while on 2.92 (since all my data was lost anyway) then flashed back to 2.94 and did another master reset.

I got my geocaches to show, but then when I selected the first one in the geocache list, the unit just shut off.

However I did just average a waypoint and it seems to work pretty slick.

Small consolation, isn't it? ~L~

After flashing up to 2.94 Beta, my GPX files would no longer display. Additionally, when I attempted to flash back to 2.92, my Colorado would no longer stay on after a certain point, even when connected to the computer. Finally, I removed the SD card, installed 2.92 directly to internal memory, and then powered it up for the flash. Once that was complete, I re-inserted my card and, although my settings were lost, everything worked as before.

After I updated my Colorado 300 to 2.94, it does fade to off while power on, after about 19 sec while loading maps.

If I remove the 8GB SD card with CN Europe 2010, it does boot up.

Going back to 2.92 and it now works ok again.

Downgrading was not flawless either. After copying the firmware file it no longer booted (without card)

I needed to hold the key in the rotate knob pressed whil booting, and then was able to downgrade it.

This is the first Beta software from Garmin that I have had issues with. I am surprised that it is such basic functionality that is causing shutdowns. Can't believe that Garmin engineers didn't say "Hey lets check and see if we can go to a point"

Really frustrated right now, might have to go into Garmin headquarters and raise a fuss when I get back home.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to go back to the last non-beta release, the 2.90 version?

My 400t went crazy when I tried to upgrade to the 2.94 release. It wouldn't read more than one .gpx file (I had three of them loaded up, and none of them were more than about 3 MB). I lost all my settings, profiles and waypoints -- it seems to have completely reverted to the default settings, and now whenever I power up, it defaults to the waypoint manager screen. Another problem: I haven't been able to transfer any waypoints from the latest version of Garmin MapSource.

I did try to go down to the 2.92 beta, but that didn't seem to help.

If anyone knows how to revert back to the 2.90 version, I'd love to hear how to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

I would expect we will see another Beta shortly to correct the Go To shutdown and waypoint/GPX issues. My guess is that it will be 2.95 as they would have likely gone to 2.96 had there been no issues. It's unfortunate that they don't test the Beta's a little more thoroughly before releasing them for us to test,granted it's expected that users would find the problems the programmers overlooked,but the current problems one would think were obvious,that's what makes it fustrating for many. It's my hope that we will see some interesting enhancements like Track Manager and a text input alternative offered in 2.96 and 2.98 before the final release of 3.0 which should bring the Colorado in line with the Oregon. Of course others would like to see the backlight settings saved in the profiles which would be a option some would appreciate.

While I agree with your beta sentiment, overall I think the as is beta releases are better, because they are faster and the increased exposure flushes out more problems.

For me I haven't bitten on either 2.92 or 2.94, nothing worth the pain. But, if 2.96 has Track Manager, I'll bite.

Overall, I'm pleased we're at last seeing anything.

Go Garmin!!!

Unfortunately it looks like they tested the new features of the BETA but failed to test the overall unit after installing the BETA.

IMHO, this is shoddy work. I have worked with programmers quite a bit and many (if not most) of them think they are gods and don't check their work as thoroughly as they should. They treat their mistakes as minor annoyances at best. What happens is the company the programmer work for is stuck with the programmer because of the "style" of the code. A new programmer would have to study the code before being able to match it, or more likely, the new programmer would start from scratch and rewrite the whole thing. That is more costly up front than just keeping the original primadonna coder who doesn't check his work. In the long run it's much more expensive though.

A side note. I have never seen a programmer yet who didn't walk in and complain of how cruddy the other programmers work is. It's a standard method of posturing among programmers.

This Beta works fine for me. Have not seen any problems.

Have you tried to add more geocaches to the unit with 2.94 on it?

Have you tried to do any goto routes since getting 2.94?

Those are the two main problems with 2.94.

It's possible that Garmin fixed those two problems without actually sending out a new BETA version. Just updated the 2.94 BETA file.

NOPE, just checked and its still the same BETA. It's critically flawed.

Edited by bittsen

I thought mine was good until I loaded some more gpx's for a trip im taking. Nothing showed up. Flash back to 2.90 and the thing boots, then automatically shuts down. Im SOL at the moment.

I thought mine was good until I loaded some more gpx's for a trip im taking. Nothing showed up. Flash back to 2.90 and the thing boots, then automatically shuts down. Im SOL at the moment.

The boot problem was started with 2.92.

If you have a memory card in the unit, remove the memory card and it will boot up.

Once booted, remove all tracks and routes and reboot twice.

Then put the memory card back in and it should be OK. If not, repeat the above processes.

Don't turn it off with an active track. Thats where you run into problems.

Yep, both things work fine.

Yep, both things work fine.

Weird that some units won't work with 2.94 and some will.

Doesn't say much for Garmin and the true structure of the Colorado 400.