Mojave Road

SKILLET

My son and some friends what me to go along with them Labor day weekend. Mojave rd is138 miles long and we are going from Barstow to Laughlin.

They want to do it in one day. Has anyone done it??? or are we CRAZY to try to do it in one day. They are young and I'm old but what the heck you only live once.

any suggestions anyone???? 000201DD.gif

My son and some friends what me to go along with them Labor day weekend. Mojave rd is138 miles long and we are going from Barstow to Laughlin.

They want to do it in one day. Has anyone done it??? or are we CRAZY to try to do it in one day. They are young and I'm old but what the heck you only live once.

Yea lets do it we can keep up with those prerunners. :):D:D

I did the Mojave Road in January of this year with the dune buggy club. We started in Baker the first day and went 100 or so miles. Our stopping point was in Nipton. We rented out the entire Nipton hotel...all 6 rooms and the "hotel cook" made us pork chops for dinner. The next day. we left Nipton and again headed to the Mojave Road. We spent another full day and another 100 miles and made it to Laughlin were we spent the night. The third day, we took a dirt road out of Laughlin for about 25 miles, then highway back to the Nipton Hotel. Remember, it was January...very cold, snow on the ground in some places. The wind was blowing and it was raining......Would I do it again? In a heartbeat....a very memorable trip!! GO FOR IT!!

I have never done the Mojave Rd but have always wanted to. I've never heard of anyone doing it in one day. That seems like a hard run with no stops or checking out stuff, but I would like to be considered no matter what the time frame is.

I've done it twice.

It definately can be done in one day. Won't leave much time for sightseeing.

If you're not bringing a bunch of camping gear that'll make it easier (quicker).

My next trip may be a through trip, at night, with a full moon.

Edited by karstic

IMHO, doing the entire route in one day would be a real challenge and you'd miss a lot of the interesting sights along the trail. If you only have one day, I'd consider picking a segment of the trail and catching the rest another time. While the trail isn't too difficult, it is definitely a slow pace in most sections.

If you do the entire Mojave Road at a nice pace, the trip would take you about 2.5 days, starting at I-15 at Afton Canyon, crossing Soda Lake, and ending up near Laughlin on U.S. 95. The last section between U.S. 95 and the Colorado River is mainly just farm roads and not very interesting.

If you're interested, I have Dennis Casebier's Mojave Road Guide, maps of the preserve, and a GPS track of the route taken with Team Adelos about 15 months ago. You'll need a good map as there are often other roads/trails near the original Mojave Road and it is easy to get side-tracked.

A great trip with a lot of history to see! I'm thinking of doing it again myself in October or November.

The Socal 4x4 Geocachers ran the trail back in 2006. We started in Lauglin Saturday morning and went at a leisurely pace, stopping to grab some caches and check out the historical sites. Saturday night was spent at the Mid Hills Campground, then we continued on Sunday to Afton, again at a mild pace to check out the sites and grab some caches. We spent about 7-8 hrs each day on the trail.

I'm looking forward to another trip out there, but I would never want to run the while trail in a day. Just doesn't seem like that would be much fun.

I'm looking forward to another trip out there, but I would never want to run the while trail in a day. Just doesn't seem like that would be much fun.

That's what I have been telling my son and his friends. They are kids with their prerunners and they don't know what slow is although they will have to slow down if they want me to keep up with them.

I was planning to do that run last year, but the trip fell through. I have the maps and guide books. While scouting the trail I encoutered some jeepers that had just finished - they had interesting stories. I would like to finish that run, but I am not a prerunner, just a slow poke.

My son and some friends want me to go along with them Labor day weekend. Mojave rd is138 miles long and we are going from Barstow to Laughlin.

Hey, that is one of our favorite Mojave Desert places! We drive it in sections with two or three Vanagons. We have never attempted Soda Lake but we love Afton Canyon, the lava tube (earthcache), Marl Springs, Cedar Canyon, Hole in the Wall, Lanfair Valley, New York mountains, and whenever possible, a trip to Goffs to visit the Mojave Desert Heritage & Cultural Association's great museum, the restored historic Goffs school house and next time to see the new railroad depot reconstruction. We also belong to the Friends of the Mojave Road.

Years ago we placed a virtual cache at the Mojave Road Mailbox and I sure wish I had left that one active. Folks still log it from time to time (hint, hint). Check out Kablooey's 46 photos and the other photos as well:

You've Got Mail