Garmin Oregon™ 400t

I've been using an Oregon 300 (basically same as 400t except w/o preloaded topo and less onboard memory) for a few weeks now and love it.

Pros:

Free maps available from gpsfiledepot.com

Decent road routing with City Navigator maps

Transflective display allows for daylight reading even with low backlight settings - people complain about this unit's backlight but in sunlight it blows away the device it replaced for caching (AT&T Tilt)

Transfer of non-map data does not require any special software - the Oregon stores all data internally as GPX files, transferring waypoints, tracks, routes, and caches is drag-and-drop.

Very well built with a unique "rail" type mounting system - the included carabiner mount rocks!

Uses bog-standard USB cables for data transfer

Uses the same "dumb charger" signaling convention as HTC PDA phone devices (Pin 4 on charger <=17k ohms to ground)

Cons:

STM Cartesio - both of the top dogs in paperless geocaching (PN-40 and Oregon) have this rather "meh" chipset

Does not use the Motorola/Blackberry "dumb charger" signaling convention (Mini-USB Pin 4 220k ohms to ground), but a simple software workaround allows the unit to be powered with chargers designed for Moto/BB.

I've been using a 400t for about two months now and have found 40 caches or so with it. Most times it puts me right at GZ, but there have been a couple that have been off a ways. Tough to tell if problem was hiders accuracy or just a bad constellation.

All in all, I'm very happy with and the paperless feature is awesome. I haven't had any problems viewing the screen but I second the suggestion to get a couple sets of good rechargable batteries - I personally recommend and use the Sanyo Eneloops, and always carry a spare set or two with me.

I have been using the Oregon 400t this summer. I returned the unit because the screen would often freeze up. You would have to take the batteries out and start it back up. I did return it for another Oregon 400t because the unit is so simple to use. This one hasn't froze up yet. What ever GPS you decide on I recommend one that supports Paperless Geocaching.

Have Fun,

Pirates of Prescott

I've had mine for a few months now. I love it.

Pros:

Touch screen interface, easy to navigate menus

Nice overall performance for accuracy in my experience (though maybe not as great as the 60CSx)

Paperless features make keeping all cache info with you easy

Paperless features allow short field notes when logging a cache as found

Accepts many different maps, many of which are free (including converting older Metroguide street maps to routable maps using Metrowizzz)

Mass Storage mode makes moving files to and from the unit easy

Paperless 'geocache_visits.txt' file transfers to Geocaching.com to help speed logging (with field notes in tact - I use the filed notes as reminders - not as my entire log - I like to be more personal)

Battery life is acceptable when using 2500mAh NiMH rechargable batteries

Cons:

Screen really needs a screen protector to give you the feeling of durability, I installed a Zagg InvisiShield

No routable maps built into the Oregon 400t, making the 300 possibly the better choice since there are good free topos out there.

Overall I'm very very happy with my unit. Garmin is actively developing the firmware for the Oregon right and I suspect we'll continue to see improvements in software feature sets and accuracy as time rolls on.

My Oregon puts me right on GZ most of the time with heavy tree cover giving it the most challenges due to some of the accuracy issues the chipset suffers from at slow speeds (this is on improvement I hope to see in firmware updates eventually). This issue however hasn't really inhibited my hunting as of yet.

My favorite feature. . . Hmm. . . probably all of the paperless features. When coupled with the easy input of the touchscreen interface it makes going paperless a breeze and very functional.

Pet peeves? I really wish there was a landscape view for the display. This would be much nicer when doing in car navigation to aid in seeing side street names.

The 400t has been my first handheld GPSr so far and it works well for me. I just started Cacheing when I bought it and it pretty much puts me right on top of the cache every time. Sometimes it seems like it is a little off like I am riding beside the road I am actually on but I have no complaints. The only issues I might have are pretty minimal one being battery life. I am on a long road trip right now and am using my 400t formost of the day and I pretty much go through a set of AA's every day not a big deal since they are cheap but after a while it can get expensive. The other one is the onboard memory it is minimal and if you want to load a good number of files you definately need a card.

I am on a long road trip right now and am using my 400t formost of the day and I pretty much go through a set of AA's every day not a big deal since they are cheap but after a while it can get expensive.

huuuh? Based on your description it sounds like you're not using rechargeables. Why?

I strongly suggest getting a set of good ultra-low-self-discharge (aka "hybrid" aka "pre-charged") NiMH batteries and a GOOD NiMH charger like the MaHa MH-C9000 or LaCrosse BC-900. (Don't skimp on the charger - cheap chargers can kill batteries prematurely. I have 3-4 sets of older NiMHs that suffer from significantly reduced capacity due to improper charging with a cheap charger.)

I've had mine for a few months now. I love it.

Pros:

Touch screen interface, easy to navigate menus

Nice overall performance for accuracy in my experience (though maybe not as great as the 60CSx)

Paperless features make keeping all cache info with you easy

Paperless features allow short field notes when logging a cache as found

Accepts many different maps, many of which are free (including converting older Metroguide street maps to routable maps using Metrowizzz)

Mass Storage mode makes moving files to and from the unit easy

Paperless 'geocache_visits.txt' file transfers to Geocaching.com to help speed logging (with field notes in tact - I use the filed notes as reminders - not as my entire log - I like to be more personal)

Battery life is acceptable when using 2500mAh NiMH rechargable batteries

Cons:

Screen really needs a screen protector to give you the feeling of durability, I installed a Zagg InvisiShield

No routable maps built into the Oregon 400t, making the 300 possibly the better choice since there are good free topos out there.

Overall I'm very very happy with my unit. Garmin is actively developing the firmware for the Oregon right and I suspect we'll continue to see improvements in software feature sets and accuracy as time rolls on.

My Oregon puts me right on GZ most of the time with heavy tree cover giving it the most challenges due to some of the accuracy issues the chipset suffers from at slow speeds (this is on improvement I hope to see in firmware updates eventually). This issue however hasn't really inhibited my hunting as of yet.

My favorite feature. . . Hmm. . . probably all of the paperless features. When coupled with the easy input of the touchscreen interface it makes going paperless a breeze and very functional.

Pet peeves? I really wish there was a landscape view for the display. This would be much nicer when doing in car navigation to aid in seeing side street names.

I am looking for reviews on the Garmin Oregon™ 400t, as to how well you like it for geocaching.

How does it compare to other GPSrs you have used?

What is you favorite feature(s) and what is your pet peeve(s)?

It is my receiver of choice. Most everything about it is more modern than older Garmins. The touch display is my favorite feature, followed by GPX import. The interface and waypoint management take getting used to, though. The worst thing: battery life sucks, even with high-capacity rechargeables.

Also check out Groundspeak's GPS Devices and Reviews section. The Oregon 400t has over 1100 reviews. If money is no object, the 550t may be of interest.