What size of cache do you like most?

I like 'em all when the are done right.

An ammo can next to a tree alongside just another farmer's field, is no better or worse than just another film can under a lamp squirt in town.

To me size doesn't matter. Location, hide site, and cache info matter to me.

It's not how big your containor is. It's what you do with it.

An ammo can next to a tree alongside just another farmer's field, is no better or worse than just another film can under a lamp squirt in town.

Very similar to TC with the exception that if it is a choice between a lame parking lot hide and a lame ammo can near some farmer's field I'll take the lame ammo can. A walk i the woods or some field is better than a walk in a parking lot.

Very similar to TC with the exception that if it is a choice between a lame parking lot hide and a lame ammo can near some farmer's field I'll take the lame ammo can. A walk i the woods or some field is better than a walk in a parking lot.

:D

I would have agreed with you until spending the last three years in North Dakota. I'm tired of lookin' at farmers fields. :):)

:D

I would have agreed with you until spending the last three years in North Dakota. I'm tired of lookin' at farmers fields. :D:)

:) Oh to have your problems. :)

I'm new to this but so far I definately like the regular size best (haven't seen a large). I mostly avoid micros.

I have to say the parking lot finds have been helpful for getting our feet wet and we live in a VERY urban area, so I am glad they are there. I don't want to do them all day long but it's fun to pick one up once in a while :D

Too lazy to type, so this is my opinion, too.

Too lazy to type, so this is my opinion, too.
Too lazy to type, but the opposite works for me. If I'm going to waste my time on a lame cache, I'd rather waste less of it (and not deal with chiggers, et al).

To the OP, I have no preference.

Edited by sbell111

My favorite will always be the "Ammo Can". To me, that's what comes to mind when you speak about geocache containers. Right now, I am TOTALLY loving a series in Ft.Worth dedicated to the "Lost" t.v. show. This couple have put a LOT of thought and effort into painting the ammo cans as well as putting "Dharma Initiative" logos on all of the swag. My FTF prize yesterday was an Oceanic flight 815 boarding pass. The hides aren't challenging at all but it's what they did with them that make them such a joy.

I also like small containers (lock-n-locks) or even the evil film can when hidden exceptionally well.

Ammo Can. I'm oldschool like that.

I was quite amused by the first micro I ever found, which was an Altoids tin stuck to a rather unique road sign in the middle of the desert in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

Subsequent micros have been less amusing, to the point where I leave micros out of most of my PQs.

Unfortunately, some caches I have liked (stored in magnetic key boxes) are on the border between "small" and "micro" - It seems to be 50/50 what they get categorized as.

I dont really care what size it is as long as it has a point to the cache. I like caches that make you think about the hiding space. Not Puzzle caches but caches that have great camoflage are my favorites. Like hidden bolts, Items that look like they belong there but don't. I like a well placed nano hides also. I don't always like to go out into the woods and walk right up to a pile of sticks that is so obvious that the cache is under it.

Micros located in the middle of blackberry bushes. Those are the best!!! *Note undertones of deep, deep sarcasm*

I found one of those once. It was the first stage of a multi, and once I got to it, I was literally surrounded by blackberry bush, probably about 2 feet thick on every side. Very hard to get to (wasn't like that when it was hidden, but you know how those suckers grow). The container was a film canister with a Ziploc and a peice of paper with the next coords. Film canisters are poor for keeping water out, and the baggie had also failed, so the paper was mush, so couldn't go any farther. I put it down as a Find, though, I earned that smilie! I also put up a NM note, and the owner eventually just archived the cache, I think. If I had gotten the coords, I would have gone back and finished the series.

As for my favorite cache to find, I like Regular and up, they are usually in nicer areas instead of the micro stuck under a bench on a busy street, or a film canister in a blackberry bush.... I have micros filtered out of my PQs.

My favorite cache container is an ammo can, preferably the big .50 caliber monsters.

Having said that, I agree with the general trend of the thread: what makes the cache stand out is the creativity of the hide, the significance of the location, the theme of the contents, etc.

... I agree with the general trend of the thread: what makes the cache stand out is the creativity of the hide, the significance of the location, the theme of the contents, etc.

While I agree with the general trend that the location and other circumstances of a cache matter, I still find that I like all that with a bigger container more so than with a smaller one.

Agreed, Renegade Knight --

In the best hides, the cache placer will have selected a container size that somehow supports the intent of the cache. The more locically tied together the different elements of the cache are, the more I tend to enjoy them.

I prefer the plain-old regular-sized cache. Most large caches I've found were in poor, leaky, containers (4-10 gallon buckets) and were wet and moldy inside.

But since I rarely trade items, this preference is probably because I prefer the locations where people can successfully hide a regular cache. Usually something that requires a little work to get to it.

To me the size of the cache isn't nearly as important as the thought behind the cache.

Now, I don't have a problem with GRCs or LPCs, but I feel they lack any style. I'm sure the first ones ever placed had style, and in my first week of caching, I thought the GRC was clever. Now that 1/10 of my finds have been GRC or LPC, I feel different.

What I DO like is something creative.

Last night (actually this morning) I came across a micro that I thought was wonderful. I thought of ways to modify the elements it and place my own, to make it unique to me.

What I don't like are micros hidden inside bushes. There isn't an ounce of creativity to them and they are a dime a dozen. The only hard part is finding which bush in a 30' circle actually contains the cache.

Though my hide isn't as original as some, I can assure you it has its own element of creativity. I would hope that each of my hides will have similar creativity and uniqueness but I am also quite sure I will hide some GRCs and LPCs just because I am human and crave those emails that we get. I would hope to add some degree of originality to them but I may not.

the fact of the matter is people will look for caches, no matter the ease, difficulty, lameness or outright brilliance of the hide. What I can assure anyone here is their opinion does NOT matter. Nor does mine.

This game is so big that your (or my) small contribution is pretty much irrelevant. If you or I cease to hide, or seek, the game will go on. So, complain all you want or go out and cache.

Any size is fine for us. Just as long as it is well hidden.

We have a cacher who hides their caches in a drive by method.

Basically if we see it is one of theirs, we get as close as we can in the car with the Nuvi and look to where this person can toss the container. Not much of a challenge.

I dig them all, but like ammo cans best... I've always been fond of ammo cans for many uses before I knew about Geocaching...

next anything that has room for a good logbook (not rolled up) and several items of swag, for the swag hunters... OH, and it has to be Waterproof...

The 7.62mm-size ammo can seems to me to be the perfect container size/type for the backcountry caches that I prefer. Because of the shape, people tend to hide 'em in natural crevices rather than under a big-ol' pile of rocks or sticks. And they've got ample space inside for a logbook, trinkets and TBs.

The one I just found.

I don't really care if a cache is large or small or somewhere between the two. If it is large enough to hold swag and I have swag with me, I'll drop some in, otherwise I sign my name and go on.

I prefer a cleverly hidden cache to a cache that is just tucked away out of sight of the most casual viewer; therefore, I suppose it's fair to say I admire larger caches cleverly hidden in public areas more than I admire smaller ones hidden via a less bold method.

I like them all, but I suppose I like the smaller caches best. Heresy, I know...

Most examples of the "evil" camouflage that I enjoy are micro-caches. It's just a lot harder to camouflage a larger container that well.

And small caches and larger micro-caches are big enough for sig items, which are all I trade for. Regular caches and large caches are big enough to hold a lot of trade items, which makes it harder to search for the sig items that I'm interested in.

niraD, come a little further south to SCruz, no one moves around the sig items here. :D

We had a cacher here who did the MOST amazing cammo jobs with micros. He was a true genius. It was very sad when he passed. :)

I pretty much like any find other than NANOS. I can't find those suckers. Eli's gotten pretty good at them, so I just leave those to him.

niraD, come a little further south to SCruz, no one moves around the sig items here. :o

We had a cacher here who did the MOST amazing cammo jobs with micros. He was a true genius. It was very sad when he passed. :)

I've been geocaching in and around Santa Cruz a couple times, and I've found a few of 50sumtin's caches, but none in the "camouflaged micro" category. I enjoy his puzzles though.

Around here, there are several people who hide caches with very good camouflage. Also, workerofwood's "Little Shop of Horrors" workshop events have raised the bar for camouflage.