How do i log this

I have encountered a situation that is new for me.

I picked up a travel bug in Illinios on the way home from the Ozarks. I brought it to Ohio and tried to log it, however, it says its in a different cache from where I found it. Now, normally I woudl jsut wait a week because it is likely that someone moved it from one cache to another and hadn't been online to log the activity yet.

But, looking at the logs for both the TB and the cache it was 'supposed' to be in, I am assuming the following: The bug was placed in the cache last August (2008). Sometime between then and April, the bug disappeared from that cache. There is a note on that cache from someone who visited in April and indicated that the TB was not in the cache anymore. Then the cache was destroyed in May or early June (remants were found). The cache was replaced and is active again, however it still shows the bug in it. I actually found the bug in a different cache over 200 miles away from where it supposedly was. The cache owners and the people logging in that time frame are not similar.

So, can i 'grab it' from the cache without logging a find on that cache? I don't want to log a find on a cache that I haven't actually found but I'm not sure if I can grab the bug without showing the cache as a find. Once I have it, I will 'virtually dip it" into the cache I actually found it in so the mileage is correct before I move it.

Is there any other better way to get the bug to show as being in my possesion and fixing the mileage? Can I grab it from a cache without logging the cache as a find?

I'm sure the bug owner will be delighted that it has reappeared and was not destroyed in the other cache, but the mystery will remain of how it got >200 miles away in such an odd circumstance.

I have encountered a situation that is new for me.

I picked up a travel bug in Illinios on the way home from the Ozarks. I brought it to Ohio and tried to log it, however, it says its in a different cache from where I found it. Now, normally I woudl jsut wait a week because it is likely that someone moved it from one cache to another and hadn't been online to log the activity yet.

But, looking at the logs for both the TB and the cache it was 'supposed' to be in, I am assuming the following: The bug was placed in the cache last August (2008). Sometime between then and April, the bug disappeared from that cache. There is a note on that cache from someone who visited in April and indicated that the TB was not in the cache anymore. Then the cache was destroyed in May or early June (remants were found). The cache was replaced and is active again, however it still shows the bug in it. I actually found the bug in a different cache over 200 miles away from where it supposedly was. The cache owners and the people logging in that time frame are not similar.

So, can i 'grab it' from the cache without logging a find on that cache? I don't want to log a find on a cache that I haven't actually found but I'm not sure if I can grab the bug without showing the cache as a find. Once I have it, I will 'virtually dip it" into the cache I actually found it in so the mileage is correct before I move it.

Is there any other better way to get the bug to show as being in my possesion and fixing the mileage? Can I grab it from a cache without logging the cache as a find?

I'm sure the bug owner will be delighted that it has reappeared and was not destroyed in the other cache, but the mystery will remain of how it got >200 miles away in such an odd circumstance.

Log it in into the cache you got it from and note that you found it there. Then log it out of that cache the same day (essentially dipping it) and log it into the cache you deposited it in.

Chances are the person who placed it in the cache you retrieved it from forgot to log it.

The only thing that really matters is that its back in the game and logged in now.

1. Write a log for the travel bug page, choosing "grab it from somewhere else" on the drop down menu.

2. Write a note on the page for the cache you found it on, "leaving" the travel bug as you do so.

3. Delete your note on the cache page. The bug page will still show the mileage.

4. Log it again on the bug page, choosing "Retrieve from [the cache you found it in]"

So, can i 'grab it' from the cache without logging a find on that cache? I don't want to log a find on a cache that I haven't actually found but I'm not sure if I can grab the bug without showing the cache as a find.

You can safely "grab" a TB and it will not log a Find on the cache where it shows as being.

Some people move TBs and geocoins without logging them, possibly because they don't read the explanation or think it's too much trouble.

Some people pick up a traveler and drop it in another cache before they get home and forget to write down the tracking number, so they are unable to log the move.

Probably some new cachers pick up a traveler, then don't continue geocaching, and find the nearest geocache and drop it but since they've left the game they put in the minimum effort required to get it back in circulation.

Edward