Home coordinates

Grawp

I have been out of the geocaching scene for some time recovering from a couple of heart attcks and moving house.

I am now in the middle of nowhere, in a little-known valley, well off the beaten track.

Trying to update my home coordinates was an exercise in total frustration.

The map kept putting me in a location I have not heard of - a long way from the coords I entered.

My entered coordinates were simply ignored. The high-tech mapping system decided it knew better!

My gps unit is quite capable of prsenting me with the coordinates of my home location. Why can't the site simply accept a typed entry? Why does high technology keep rearing its ugly little head and failing to produce acceptable results!

In well-mapped parts of the world (USA, UK etc) I'm sure the system works fine. But here, where the on-line maps show vast expanses of grey, the system falls flat on its backside.

How do I get to a page on the site where I can simply type in my home coordinates?

Being taller can only be done if you are a plutonium member. There are only three that I know of and two of them aren't active.

I thought all plutonium members were active, at least on the radio, you might say they were radioactive.

Okay, I'll sit in the corner now.

Jim

In well-mapped parts of the world (USA, UK etc) I'm sure the system works fine.

I can't speak for the USA but the system doesn't work fine here in this well-mapped urban area in the UK.

How do I get to a page on the site where I can simply type in my home coordinates?

Unfortunately there now isn't one. Groundspeak has decided that all home coordinates entered by the user must be converted to somewhere else. Let's just hope they don't start doing the same for caches :D.

In well-mapped parts of the world (USA, UK etc) I'm sure the system works fine.

I can't speak for the USA but the system doesn't work fine here in this well-mapped urban area in the UK.

Unfortunately there now isn't one. Groundspeak has decided that all home coordinates entered by the user must be converted to somewhere else. Let's just hope they don't start doing the same for caches :D.

This actually does appear to be a rather serious site bug. I think it's related to the recent changes google maps has made to hand-entering coordinates.

For example, enter this on the home coordinates page: N 34° 59.410 W 118° 22.550

It refuses to let you set that, changing it to "N 35° 08.080 W 118° 31.986" !

Search Request:

N 34° 59.410 W 118° 22.550

Latitude, Longitude:

N 35° 08.080 W 118° 31.986

The change to hand-entering coordinates affects http://maps.google.com -- if you enter coords on there, it 'zooms' to the nearest point of interest, rather than to the actual coordinates you entered, which could be miles away.

Maybe that is why my new cache emails are out of whack...or is it?

I have entered my Home coordinates...and they show the proper location with MapQuest and Yahoo Maps. But I get new cache listings that say a cache is a mile or so away....and when I look at the actual cache page...they are actually several miles away.

Here is an example:

For GC1V6MM: Coit - Primary Meter (Traditional Cache)

1.3mi NE (2.1km NE)

Prime Reviewer published Coit - Primary Meter (Traditional Cache) at 6/28/2009

if I enter my home coordinates into Google earth: N 33 00.111 W 096 43.002

And the coordinates from GC1V6MM: N 33 01.245 W 096 46.120

Then if I draw a line...it is 3.27 miles....and the cache is NW of me....not NE.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you might have a format issue. I know my GPS defaults in a different format then is the default at GC.com. Cause no end of confusion getting started.

It could also be a N vs S or E vs W - or some such.

This is no format issue. Give the page a try.. enter some coords which are not near any roads. It 'snaps' to the nearest point of interest.

-Ben

Maybe that is why my new cache emails are out of whack...or is it?

I have entered my Home coordinates...and they show the proper location with MapQuest and Yahoo Maps. But I get new cache listings that say a cache is a mile or so away....and when I look at the actual cache page...they are actually several miles away.

Here is an example:

For GC1V6MM: Coit - Primary Meter (Traditional Cache)

1.3mi NE (2.1km NE)

Prime Reviewer published Coit - Primary Meter (Traditional Cache) at 6/28/2009

if I enter my home coordinates into Google earth: N 33 00.111 W 096 43.002

And the coordinates from GC1V6MM: N 33 01.245 W 096 46.120

Then if I draw a line...it is 3.27 miles....and the cache is NW of me....not NE.

What am I doing wrong?

The point of origin in your notification is set differently from your home coordinates. You have it set to N 33 00.680 W 096 47.304.

So ... looks like I'm not the only one with problems!

Believe me when I say there aren't that many "points of interest" way out here in the African bush! The one it picks for my home co-ords is a long, long way from my actual position.

Who knows what it will come up with when I try to place a cache and try to enter the cache co-ordinates.

Could be a lot of fun trying to find caches as well.

Ah well ...... we USED to have a great amount of fun caching ..... guess the Cammo Kid and I will have to find a new hobby.

<The point of origin in your notification is set differently from your home coordinates. You have it set to N 33 00.680 W 096 47.304.>

Thanks Moun10Bike....I fixed it.

Looks like a bug in the program. Has anyone asked geocaching.com to look into this??

<The point of origin in your notification is set differently from your home coordinates. You have it set to N 33 00.680 W 096 47.304.>

Thanks Moun10Bike....I fixed it.

Looks like a bug in the program. Has anyone asked geocaching.com to look into this??

Moun10Bike is a Groundspeak Lackey. From reading the posts it looks like things are working properly if you have your settings correct. Maybe not, but that is my impression.

Hi Moun10Bike (Groundspeak Lackey) Not working properly. Here are the facts: When I enter my coordinates for current location (N 43 21.538 W 115 22.864) the program decides that I am at (N 43 21.538 W 115 43.665) This location is 18.5 miles, as the crow flies west of my actual location. Or 30.5 miles (1hr 20min) if I ask for driving directions. I know this because I have a cache at the same location which is listed correctly. When you are "off the beaten path" this difference is significant. Is there a way to get this "bug" fixed?

Thanks - Krystonia

Moun10Bike is a Groundspeak Lackey. From reading the posts it looks like things are working properly if you have your settings correct. Maybe not, but that is my impression.

Hi Moun10Bike (Groundspeak Lackey) Not working properly. Here are the facts: When I enter my coordinates for current location (N 43 21.538 W 115 22.864) the program decides that I am at (N 43 21.538 W 115 43.665) This location is 18.5 miles, as the crow flies west of my actual location. Or 30.5 miles (1hr 20min) if I ask for driving directions. I know this because I have a cache at the same location which is listed correctly. When you are "off the beaten path" this difference is significant. Is there a way to get this "bug" fixed?

This issue is being addressed. Your previous post was in reference to an issue that was caused by user error.