Why is there so many micro caches?

There are tons of micro caches around now why not any larger caches? :D

Here's one reason micros are more popular among hiders then larger caches:

Because they are cheap to produce (bare minimum investment by the hider) - free film canister, no trinkets, scrap piece of paper, no pencil = $0

Here's another reason:

Bare minimum maintenance. No trinkets means you never have to restock. A tightly rolled up scrap of paper can hold about 100 signatures, so you probably won't have to replace the log for about a year, maybe 2 years.

There are more reasons I'm sure. Others may want to add to the list.

Simply put, in addition to the reasons above, they are easiest to hide.

Try to find a place to hide an ammo can in the city.

I did my first hide last friday and even in the woods I had a rough time trying to find a place to hide it without a disturbance to nature.

What really bugs me is when people think its necessary to hide a micro in the woods.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the terrain where you live. I took a look at a 100 mile radius around Midland, TX and it looks like there are only about 89 caches that are not micros there. By comparison I hit 100 non-micro caches within 7.2 miles of my house (and there are more beyond that 7.2 mile radius). However, there are a lot of forests, swamps, and other naturally dense landscape types around here so it's easy to find ways to hide larger containers.

Isn't Midland primarily prairie? I would think that would have an effect on how easy it is to find places to hide a larger cache.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the terrain where you live. I took a look at a 100 mile radius around Midland, TX and it looks like there are only about 89 caches that are not micros there. By comparison I hit 100 non-micro caches within 7.2 miles of my house (and there are more beyond that 7.2 mile radius). However, there are a lot of forests, swamps, and other naturally dense landscape types around here so it's easy to find ways to hide larger containers.

Isn't Midland primarily prairie? I would think that would have an effect on how easy it is to find places to hide a larger cache.

Carolyn

Prarie land is a great place to place a cowpie cache

Simply put ... they are easiest to hide.
Yep.

Try to find a place to hide an ammo can in the city.
We've done it. Even though we've got a few urban hides, none are micros. I think the point here is people don't try.

To be fair, many urban micros in my area aren't blocking access to where a small/regular could have gone. Then again, some are.

I do agree with you however - my first hide is a largish "small". My next cache however will be a micro as the area I had in mind won't support anything larger.

All of the caches hidden in towns around here larger than a small tend not too last long. The are normally muggled within one summer. Even those hidden very well and as deep in the woods as you can get in the parks, greenways and along the rivers are missing or mutilated quickly. The micros and smalls on the other last much longer. It even seems the nanos last the longest of all the micros. Therefore by attrition you are left with many micro a few smalls and little else.

Now outside of the urban area regulars and larges are the norm and they seem to last for quite some time.

I do agree with you however - my first hide is a largish "small". My next cache however will be a micro as the area I had in mind won't support anything larger.

We've hidden regulars in areas that if it were in another area the locals would have only hidden a micro. Ours do last a while. It's all how you hide things.

Now, I'm not going to argue the point about micros, in general, are easier to hide and harder to find than larger caches. That's pretty much a given. However, with the proper hide techniques, research, and permission you can hide larger caches in locations where most folks will assume only a micro can go.

I say show off your hiding prowess by hiding a larger cache. Sissy has a SAW can in an urban park that has garnered this state's Best Camo Award three years running.

Welcome to the dark world of Couch potato caching 101.

Think of micro caches as "potato chips." Each new micro is like a new chip to "snack" on. Micro spew (the proliferation of micros) really didn't take off until geocaching made it on several different tv shows. All the "couch potatoes" thought the hobby sounded fun, so they found and hid caches that catered to their sedentary lifestyles. This same group also found that they could achieve "status and popularity" based on the number of finds they have. In order to satiate the "large appetite" for "potato chip" caches, said cachers hid lots of lamppost and parking lot micros. Caches that require exerting energy (like hiking caches), or caches that require more than a few minutes to find are avoided at all costs. Only the (MSH) Maximum Smilies per Hour caches are pursued by this crowd.

:D

Think of micro caches as "potato chips." Each new micro is like a new chip to "snack" on. Micro spew (the proliferation of micros) really didn't take off until geocaching made it on several different tv shows. All the "couch potatoes" thought the hobby sounded fun, so they found and hid caches that catered to their sedentary lifestyles. This same group also found that they could achieve "status and popularity" based on the number of finds they have. In order to satiate the "large appetite" for "potato chip" caches, said cachers hid lots of lamppost and parking lot micros. Caches that require exerting energy (like hiking caches), or caches that require more than a few minutes to find are avoided at all costs. Only the (MSH) Maximum Smilies per Hour caches are pursued by this crowd.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

There are so many micro caches because so many people like to hide and find micro caches.

If you would like to find more larger caches, hide some larger caches. Be the change you are looking for.

Carolyn

[/quo

Midland is more of a dusty place

Midland is more of a dusty place

Dusty, huh! That's how I remember all of Texas. Dusty roads, long, long distances, wonderful food, and very nice cops.

Are there any wilderness areas near you? Any hiking trails?

Carolyn

:D come to Scotland...loads of hiking trails here and hardly any micros or nanos! Come on the $ against the £ is good and on your side. beautiful greenery here no dusty trails! Just heather and haggis to chase or shoot!

happy caching :D

jeni

:)

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Hey, that line sounds vaguely familiar to me for some reason. :D

I usually agree with Kit Fox when contemplating the bigger picture of Geocaching. On this topic I must disagree, at least with the quoted post. I have only 12 active caches and I happen to live in a fairly cache rich/dense area. King County, Washington is the 14th most populous county in the USA. Of my 12 active caches all are located in intensely urban areas. Five are ammo cans, one is a Decon container, four are lock N locks and two are highly cammoed micros. I would suggest that is not a bad collection. Yes, micros can be easier in an urban area, but if you take the time to explore you can find spots to place bigger containers. I do believe Kit Fox happens to live near a fair number of people as well.

You don't need to be hiking in the wilderness to have a chance to hide/find something other than a micro. On the other hand, when we first engaged in this passtime in 2003 we found more micros than anything else. "Micro spew" isn't anything new, nor are good hides and poor hides.

>.>

<.<

The real reason there are so many micros is because They know that micros will be found more often by more people.

You see, all that history about geocaching is just BS, geocaching is really a grand experiment by Them to create mindless drones who do their bidding.

Each geocache has a special frequency in it that works to slowly program your brain, every cache you find gives Them just a little more control over you. Which, of course, leads to you finding more geocaches because They tell you to.

This is also why those who have more finds seem to be a lot better at finding them. They can sense the frequency emitted by the cache, subconsciously and thus home in on it without realizing it.

Eventually the better part of the world will belong to Them. At which point They will send out a signal, turning cachers in to high-grade killing machines and sending them after everyone who hasn't fallen prey to Their mind control!

So do like I do, wear a tinfoil hat when you geocache!

Edited by Zolgar

I usually agree with Kit Fox when contemplating the bigger picture of Geocaching. On this topic I must disagree, at least with the quoted post. I have only 12 active caches and I happen to live in a fairly cache rich/dense area. King County, Washington is the 14th most populous county in the USA. Of my 12 active caches all are located in intensely urban areas. Five are ammo cans, one is a Decon container, four are lock N locks and two are highly cammoed micros. I would suggest that is not a bad collection. Yes, micros can be easier in an urban area, but if you take the time to explore you can find spots to place bigger containers. I do believe Kit Fox happens to live near a fair number of people as well.

You don't need to be hiking in the wilderness to have a chance to hide/find something other than a micro. On the other hand, when we first engaged in this passtime in 2003 we found more micros than anything else. "Micro spew" isn't anything new, nor are good hides and poor hides.

Come down to Southern California, and you'll see what i'm talking about. Fortunately for me, i'm within an hours drive of tens of thousands of acres of mountainous terrain where there are tons of smalls to large sized caches to be found. :D

My last trip was almost a ten mile hike, and I found four caches. I found one regular sized cache, two smalls, and a micro.

de527b6d-caff-436d-8011-9752f94c4b19.jpg

Thankfully, i've never found a lamppost micro in a spot like this:

6d469914-a08d-4a01-a774-ee709bf047a9.jpg

I don't mind micros, really. I would rather look for a micro than no cache at all.

Sometimes an individual has to hide a micro, because it is the best type of cache for the location. There is a small park in my town, that I want to hide a cache in, but there are no trees or other covering for any cache bigger than a micro or nano. I will more than likely hide a nano there. I have permission to hide a cache there, but I don't believe the Park Board would be pleased if I hauled in a giant log in order to develop a good hiding place for a cache. If I were more creative perhaps I could design a cache that looked like a trash can or a drinking fountain, but I'm not that good.

I think another reason some people succumb to micros, is that they don't want to take the time to ask permission to hide a cache, so they sneak in a micro.

For those of you that don't like micros and feel you'd be happier if there weren't so many... the good news is you can play the game without seeing ANY micros at all (or very few assuming people might miscategorize their size).

Just use PQs and filter out micros. You'll have more caches than you can ever hope to find and can enjoy the game to it's fullest, and you'll never see another dreaded micro cache.

You can also hide a few non-micro caches to help your cause.

It's just that simple.

For those of you that don't like micros and feel you'd be happier if there weren't so many... the good news is you can play the game without seeing ANY micros at all (or very few assuming people might miscategorize their size).

Just use PQs and filter out micros. You'll have more caches than you can ever hope to find and can enjoy the game to it's fullest, and you'll never see another dreaded micro cache.

It's just that simple.

I'm not crazy about this solution but it is the best we have. I would add that you might want to create a PQ for micros that have a scenic attribute, that way you won't miss out on scenic spots. (Although some of these scenic locations could support a small or regular size cache but now that the micro got there first, it's not going to happen. )

My thoughts.

1. Small containers are easier to come by.

2. Small containers are easier to hide (more hidey holes in any given area).

3. No swag concerns. Apparently cachers can't handle an empty container. I've had complaints when I hid a cache that had no swag but could have contained it.

4. Some hiders want hard hides and this is an easy way to increase difficulty.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Fortunately for me, i'm within an hours drive of tens of thousands of acres of mountainous terrain where there are tons of smalls to large sized caches to be found. :D

Very few are so fortunate.
You'd be surprised as to how many people really are that fortunate. Maybe not "tens of thousands of acres" in the mountains, but several hundred acres in rolling hills is good too.

You can travel a long distance in an hour, especially once you get out of town. It's just that few people choose to do it. Within 40 miles of my house there are two National Forests, several state wildlife management areas, several state parks (three states), and hundreds (thousands?) of acres owned by TVA that is open to limited public use.

But I do live near the mountains, so I have an advantage. So I checked around my parent's place in middle Mississippi. I found two National Forests, four National Wildlife Refuges, and two (small) state parks within 45 miles. Also, they're surrounded by timberland where the hunting rights are leased to local clubs, but when the hunting seasons are closed people come from miles away to ride ATV's, horses, 4x4 vehicles, etc. on the trails and roads. And I'm sure there is a LOT more public land around Grenada lake than is shown on Google Earth.

Even in the densely populated North-eastern USA you can find thousands of acres of public land within an hour's drive of most places.

I think another reason some people succumb to micros, is that they don't want to take the time to ask permission to hide a cache, so they sneak in a micro.
It's a sweeping generalization, but this is one of the more prevalent reasons why there are so many micros in parking lots. There are plenty of micros where the owner DID get permission, but I think (at least local to me), the vast majority of new caches are placed without any form of permission. I can think of several instances off the top of my head where cachers have been run off the property by irate owners.
There are so many micro caches because so many people like to hide and find micro caches. ...

The part in bold is not my experience. I've read in the forums that some folks prefer micro's. However in my caching circles I've not yet found anyone at all who prefer then but I have met folks who won't cache at all if my caching agenda has some micro's on it. YMMV.

Even in the densely populated North-eastern USA you can find thousands of acres of public land within an hour's drive of most places.

True, within 1 hour of NYC you have 46,613 acre Harriman State Park, the adjacent 5,067-acre Bear Mountain State Park and the nearby 7,000+ acre Hudson Highlands State Park and their beaugiful, rugged terrain and breath taking views, along with many dozens of geocaches.

Additionally most of the NJ highlands are within an hour of NYC, with 4 state parks, 3 state forests, half a dozen wildlife management areas, several large county parks and the 35,000 acre Newark watershed property, all chock full of beautiful, rocky ridgelines, deep forests, countles historical ruins and hundreds of geocaches.

A true geocaching mecca for those who interested in something more than driving from strip mall to strip mall.

There are so many micro caches because so many people like to hide and find micro caches. ...

The part in bold is not my experience. I've read in the forums that some folks prefer micro's. However in my caching circles I've not yet found anyone at all who prefer then but I have met folks who won't cache at all if my caching agenda has some micro's on it. YMMV.

I've met hundreds of geocachers and in the instances where the subject has come up (which is fairly often) I've never encountered one who prefers micros over regular sized caches. I don't doubt they exist, but I really think they are in the minority. I have met people who hate them, but most people I've met don't hate micros, they hate the places that most of them are hidden.

Oddly enough people who don't care for them still look for them. Some have a thing about keeping an X mile radius around their home clear of unfound caches, regardless of cache size and location. One geocacher I spoke with likened lame micros to car accidents. He doesn't like them, when he passes by one he knows nothing positive can come out of looking, but he can't resist the temptation to look.

Edited by briansnat

True, within 1 hour of NYC you have 46,613 acre Harriman State Park, the adjacent 5,067-acre Bear Mountain State Park and the nearby 7,000+ acre Hudson Highlands State Park and their beaugiful, rugged terrain and breath taking views, along with many dozens of geocaches.

Same can be said for Tucson. Within a comfortable "day trip" distance from Tucson, you have:

Mount Lemon, which is the closest to a forest you'll find in So-AZ, and has some interesting history.

Redington Pass, more of classic arid desert mountains. Some nice hiking in the area.

Patagonia lake, yes, we have a frelling lake in So-AZ! .. what, why are you looking at me like that? >.>

In several directions you get rough, rock strewn terrain.

You can hit the Anza trail up, which offers a bit of caching alone a river, and has the dense plantlife expected around a river ('s funny the views you can have sometime. Look one way: vibrant plantlife dense enough that you can't see anything past it. Turn around: brown desert far as the eye can see)

And of course, being as this is Arizona, you can find yourself typical arid desert wastes. :D

Your stated experience didn't contradict my post.

I've read in the forums that some people prefer multis. However, in my caching circles, I've not yet found anyone at all who prefer them but I have met folks who won't cache at all if my caching agenda has some puzzles's on it.

That doesn't change the fact that many people like to hide and find multicaches.

There is a reason that Baskin Robbins still offers Rocky Road. Lots of people like it. Many other think that it's gross, but that doesn't change the fact that people like Rocky Road.

Edited by sbell111

I'm not a huge fan of micros, but I absolutely see their value. They're the perfect cache container for urban environments, for example. Many of the geocachers in my city use micro hides to draw attention to really cool parts of the city that one might never visit. I also recognize the fun and challenge of hunting a micro out in the forest.

I figure the person who's going to get out and look should check the size of the cache before he or she leaves the computer.

Caveat cacher.

Your stated experience didn't contradict my post....

Nope it didn't. I merely said I don't know anyone at all who likes them. It's a subtle distinction between that and the fun they are having finding what they don't like so much.

>.>

<.<

The real reason there are so many micros is because They know that micros will be found more often by more people.

You see, all that history about geocaching is just BS, geocaching is really a grand experiment by Them to create mindless drones who do their bidding.

Each geocache has a special frequency in it that works to slowly program your brain, every cache you find gives Them just a little more control over you. Which, of course, leads to you finding more geocaches because They tell you to.

This is also why those who have more finds seem to be a lot better at finding them. They can sense the frequency emitted by the cache, subconsciously and thus home in on it without realizing it.

Eventually the better part of the world will belong to Them. At which point They will send out a signal, turning cachers in to high-grade killing machines and sending them after everyone who hasn't fallen prey to Their mind control!

So do like I do, wear a tinfoil hat when you geocache!

Has Vinnie changed his user name? :D

Your stated experience didn't contradict my post....

Nope it didn't. I merely said I don't know anyone at all who likes them. It's a subtle distinction between that and the fun they are having finding what they don't like so much.

Also, possibly a comment on people's ability to deceive to themselves and others. I imagine if people truly didn't like them, they wouldn't search for them. After all, this is a completely voluntary activity. Why would people be doing things that they don't enjoy?

I'm not a huge fan of micros, but I absolutely see their value. They're the perfect cache container for urban environments, for example. Many of the geocachers in my city use micro hides to draw attention to really cool parts of the city that one might never visit. I also recognize the fun and challenge of hunting a micro out in the forest.

I figure the person who's going to get out and look should check the size of the cache before he or she leaves the computer.

Caveat cacher.

I think you coined a new geo-term :) If you follow the forums much, you'll note that there are numerous previous threads discussing issues where geocachers can't be bothered to read descriptions, let alone posted hours, cache size, etc. :D

I imagine if people truly didn't like them, they wouldn't search for them. After all, this is a completely voluntary activity. Why would people be doing things that they don't enjoy?

I think it comes down to what Briansnat observed:

Oddly enough people who don't care for them still look for them. Some have a thing about keeping an X mile radius around their home clear of unfound caches, regardless of cache size and location. One geocacher I spoke with likened lame micros to car accidents. He doesn't like them, when he passes by one he knows nothing positive can come out of looking, but he can't resist the temptation to look.

I use to hunt for microcaches locally - what the heck, something to do when I couldn't drive out of the city and I had found all the small/regular/large sizes. Now, on principle, I won't hunt them unless they have a scenic attribute because I think I'm part of the problem. I believe that by hunting them I encourage their placement. So I filter them out.

What has started to irk me recently is finding "small" (slightly larger then a film canister) log-only caches or caches marked "unknown size". I filter out "unknown" now, but I haven't resorted to filtering out small since it's only about 1/4 of the small caches that are actually micro caches. When that happens now I note my dissatisfaction in the cache log.

It's just that simple.

You would think.

Apparently, then, it is not the finding of the micros, but the mere existence of the micros, that diminishes the enjoyment of the non-micros.

"He that's content, hath enough; He that complains, has too much." - Poor Richard’s Almanack

Apparently, then, it is not the finding of the micros, but the mere existence of the micros, that diminishes the enjoyment of the non-micros.

Only when the existence of that micro prevents the placement of a larger cache, where a larger cache would easily fit into the location.

Only when the existence of that micro prevents the placement of a larger cache, where a larger cache would easily fit into the location.

First come, first served. If that was such a great place for a larger cache, one could have been placed there.