Somone's holding on to my geocoin

botanycreek

:) So, here's a geocoin etiquette question for you.

One of my very nice WV 2007 geocoins was picked up back in February by a certain, unnamed user. The coin has remained logged as in their possession since then. So, this person has had my geocoin for going on 5 months. I have sent two emails to this person asking them to move the coin along, contact me so that we could work something out, or even give them my mailing address so they can mail it back to me. I have received no response from the individual, no "sorry, I'll move it along ASAP" or "it was stolen out of my pink-and-purple-polka-dotted bicycle basket" or "I'll move it along as soon as it passes through the dog's digestive system". I know that the user has received the messages, because their profile states that they have logged on since I sent the message. This is no new user, either: this person has logged over 300 finds.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this further? Should I just give up?

:D So, here's a geocoin etiquette question for you.

One of my very nice WV 2007 geocoins was picked up back in February by a certain, unnamed user. The coin has remained logged as in their possession since then. So, this person has had my geocoin for going on 5 months. I have sent two emails to this person asking them to move the coin along, contact me so that we could work something out, or even give them my mailing address so they can mail it back to me. I have received no response from the individual, no "sorry, I'll move it along ASAP" or "it was stolen out of my pink-and-purple-polka-dotted bicycle basket" or "I'll move it along as soon as it passes through the dog's digestive system". I know that the user has received the messages, because their profile states that they have logged on since I sent the message. This is no new user, either: this person has logged over 300 finds.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this further? Should I just give up?

I can really understand your angryness. A few coins from disappeared as well. One came back in system after 1 year due to a movement of a cacher and he found it.

I would suggest to try to reach other cachers around him and find out if somebody is out there who knows the person. Maybe he can influence the one to bring back your coin in the game. At least I would guess it is not a nice situation for this person if other cachers of his area know about his coin keeping.

Well botanycreek,

I do not know what to tell you other than if you have tried many times NICELY to get this cacher to move your coin along, ship it back to you etc.... with no return contact as you state your only choice may be to move on a bit. :D

This situtaion has happen to me more than once, and it is not a good feeling you researched bought or traded for just the right coin or discovered an item that makes a great TB, reflective of you or your hobbies, and it goes into someones bag to never be seen again. I had a TB last 15 minutes in the field, I actually passed the cacher that STILL has it in his possession as we were coming out of the woods, we were all trying for the FTF, we did not even get that........

I do have one suggestion edit the title, and profile to reflect the state of the item such as:

*******STOLEN*******, ***MISSING CONTACT sadcacher@qwerty.com***

Please keep the words from being to accusitory, and keep this FAMILY FRIENDLY.

If this coin shows up at a show or at an event, or on-line and some-one tries to discover it you can see what will POP-UP.

Just this fact may shame the person into putting the item back into circulation, I had one cacher tell me they lost a TB of my Son's, and months later they discovered it in another caching bag, it came back to the playing field, maybe your coin will as well here is to hoping.

Good luck, and sorry for your loss.