Garmin Unlock Process

So, I'm just blowing off some steam in hopes garmin reads this. Our previous computer crashed and lost everything. Should just be a simple matter of re-installing mapsource city select and getting back my codes via my garmin account name and password. Simple, right?? After an hour and a half of reading through various error messages and attempting re-installs, I have given up. Even have GPSs plugged into the USB. I can get so far as to see all of my codes and unit IDs in unlock wizard and when I click next, it says "were sorry, that code is tied to another account". I guess I'll be on the phone with tech support for hours next week. Pay hundreds for map products and then have to jump through hoops of fire to unlock them.

Thumbs down to Garmin on this. I did not have a problem the first time I unlocked my maps, but I am unable to re-install and unlock on the new machine.

Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions?

So, I'm just blowing off some steam in hopes garmin reads this. Our previous computer crashed and lost everything. Should just be a simple matter of re-installing mapsource city select and getting back my codes via my garmin account name and password. Simple, right?? After an hour and a half of reading through various error messages and attempting re-installs, I have given up. Even have GPSs plugged into the USB. I can get so far as to see all of my codes and unit IDs in unlock wizard and when I click next, it says "were sorry, that code is tied to another account". I guess I'll be on the phone with tech support for hours next week. Pay hundreds for map products and then have to jump through hoops of fire to unlock them.

Thumbs down to Garmin on this. I did not have a problem the first time I unlocked my maps, but I am unable to re-install and unlock on the new machine.

Less of a hassle to just download a key generator. You paid the money so it shouldn't be illegal, right?

I had a similar problem last week. The tech had me open notepad on my computer and paste the 25 digit code o to it. From there I saved it as file "gmapsupp.unl" on my desktop. O was told to be sure to save it as an all type file. I then copied and pasted the file in the garmin folder on the gps. I hope this makes some sense. It worked for me.

Less of a hassle to just download a key generator. You paid the money so it shouldn't be illegal, right?

Wow! Really? You can't seriously believe that! It's still illegal. Wow!

Wow! Really? You can't seriously believe that! It's still illegal. Wow!

Illegal Maybe. Against the Garmin License agreement, most likely so, Stupid enough that not a court in the world would care, yes.

Sometimes these shady options make life so much easier.

I have paid for all of my maps...so far. But for all the trouble I have had with my Colorados and the maps I don't think I'd have a problem using a key gen. It would be vry nice to be able to bypass the techs that I have a hard time sitting on hold for as I work the same hours they do.

I won't judge you.

Now you know why I have always refused to buy Garmin handhelds that require extra money for acceptable maps and have this ridiculous DRM.

Of course, Magellan was getting bad before they imploded, as well.

People don't seem to take this extra cost into account when choosing a GPS. I don't understand why.

If the maker of the software you bought is unwilling to unlock the software then

1. he should brought to court.

2. if you find another way to unlock, do so.

3. never buy this kind of software anymore, until they resolved this attitude.

Imagine this happens to your car, then nobody would have any you problem going to the local shop.

Garmin makes the best products for the public use (not counting the soft- hardware issues), but their service is lower by the day.

Edited by splashy

Moderator's Note As much as I disagree with the DMCA, circumventing protection is indeed considered "naughty" in the country where these forums are hosted. Please restrict this discussion to ways the OP can actually get help from Garmin and _not_ ways to end-run that protection.

Edited by robertlipe

I copy off all my codes as soon as I get them. Makes it much easier to reinstall them when I need to, and I've needed to several times.

Do it now and you won't run into such a headache next time.

This is exactly the way to do it !

Funny how people can blame others for their lack of proper care and precautions.

I copy off all my codes as soon as I get them. Makes it much easier to reinstall them when I need to, and I've needed to several times.

Funny how people can blame others for their lack of proper care and precautions.

I use my PTouch label maker and stick the codes right on the discs. Pretty much impossible to lose that way.

I use my PTouch label maker and stick the codes right on the discs. Pretty much impossible to lose that way.

When I lost my key I was able to retrieve it via he web. Then once when I lost it because my GPS died and they replaced it under warranty they sent me a new key. The only issue was that they said they'd include it with the GPS when I got it back but they forgot which meant a phone call and hold time. To be honest, it wasn't that long of a hold. Technical support will work it out for you so that you have the key you need, and like many companies it's during the hours I have to work which means a cell phone is very useful. IMO, be honest when dealing with them and you'll get good support.

I've never really had a problem with their method of copy protection, just wish it could be shorter than the amount of numbers they use. I'm always searching for typo's when I key it in.